Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Israel

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:14 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:David Bentley gets booed what did he expect? to be cheered after he pulled out of the u21s . He wanted to recharge his battereys , he gets 20-30k a week plus bonuses to do what a number of blokes would do for a lot less. To be honest he got booed and he deserved it, a great player but his attitude stinks. Plus how the hell did he get picked for the senior team ahead of jermaine pennant? And i would hardly call the european u21 championships a pointless tournament, the other players in the u21s could of used the same excuse as david bentley, they played that tournamnet had a week 2weeks holiday and went straight into pre season.

To be fair to Bentley, he did tell Pearce in advance that he didn't want to be considered for the squad as Blackburn were playing in the Intertoto Cup so he'd have to go back to training as soon as the tournament finished (no two week holiday like the rest).

Also, if we're going to boo Bentley, then how about the rest of the players who were eligible for the tournament but didn't go. Gabriel Agbonlahor "lost" his phone so Pearce couldn't get in touch with him and someone else was selected. Wayne Rooney and Micah Richards are also under 21. Shouldn't they have been picked if this tournament was really so important that Bentley deserves to be booed for choosing not to play in it?
Agree with that, as for bentley he told pearce that he didnt want to play in the tournament after pearce had named bentley in the squad and he told after the team had flew out to the tournamnet great timing that was. With regards to rooney and richards they are seen as integral parts of the senior team now.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:23 am

big baz 1 wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:David Bentley gets booed what did he expect? to be cheered after he pulled out of the u21s . He wanted to recharge his battereys , he gets 20-30k a week plus bonuses to do what a number of blokes would do for a lot less. To be honest he got booed and he deserved it, a great player but his attitude stinks. Plus how the hell did he get picked for the senior team ahead of jermaine pennant? And i would hardly call the european u21 championships a pointless tournament, the other players in the u21s could of used the same excuse as david bentley, they played that tournamnet had a week 2weeks holiday and went straight into pre season.

To be fair to Bentley, he did tell Pearce in advance that he didn't want to be considered for the squad as Blackburn were playing in the Intertoto Cup so he'd have to go back to training as soon as the tournament finished (no two week holiday like the rest).

Also, if we're going to boo Bentley, then how about the rest of the players who were eligible for the tournament but didn't go. Gabriel Agbonlahor "lost" his phone so Pearce couldn't get in touch with him and someone else was selected. Wayne Rooney and Micah Richards are also under 21. Shouldn't they have been picked if this tournament was really so important that Bentley deserves to be booed for choosing not to play in it?
Agree with that, as for bentley he told pearce that he didnt want to play in the tournament after pearce had named bentley in the squad and he told after the team had flew out to the tournamnet great timing that was. With regards to rooney and richards they are seen as integral parts of the senior team now.

So? If the tournament's as important as it's being made out to be where Bentley's concerned then we should pick our strongest available side - regardless of whether the players are also in the senior squad or not. If it's not so important that Rooney and Richards need picking then it's fair enough that Bentley drops out in order to prepare himself for Blackburn's unusually early start to this season.

Going back to Bentley, he did tell Pearce before the squad was announced that he'd rather not be selected. But Pearce still went ahead and picked him in an attempt to bounce him into reconsidering. Bentley then had a bit of a think and came back and told Pearce that he still wasn't prepared to go. Poor management by Pearce in my mind - especially as it was one rule for Agbonlahor and another for Bentley (who needed the rest more).

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 am

I would love to see rooney and richards play for the u21s but its never going to happen. With regards to bentley ive made feelings clear. End of for i will comment no more.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:29 am

big baz 1 wrote:I would love to see rooney and richards play for the u21s but its never going to happen. With regards to bentley ive made feelings clear. End of for i will comment no more.

why would you love them to play for the under 21's? What do you actually think of Bentley?

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:32 am

Rob_Walsall wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:I would love to see rooney and richards play for the u21s but its never going to happen. With regards to bentley ive made feelings clear. End of for i will comment no more.

why would you love them to play for the under 21's? What do you actually think of Bentley?

Richards and rooney are superbly talented players, as for bentley i wont be posting what i think of him as a player.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:40 am

Richards is very special , great to see him score on Saturday.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:49 am

Do you use this "I will comment no more" line whenever you think your argument is weak but you don't want to be seen to back down and change your opinion? It's seemed to come up time and again with regard to the discussion about where Walsall will finish this season. And it's usually followed a day or two later with a slight alteration (Champions, then promoted, play-offs and now top half).

There's nothing wrong with changing your mind you know. People won't think any less of you. :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:52 am

In fairness to Baz here, David Bently pulled out after the squads were named to UEFA I believe. Therefore, I think I'm right in saying that Pearce was then unable to name a replacement for Bentley as the deadline had passed, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thats what happened.

As such, I can see why Bentley was booed by some and understand to a point, though I'd never boo an England player whether it be Carragher who retired coz he couldn't get a spot or Bentley/Agbonglahor who pulled out because they couldn't be @rsed. I don't buy tosh about needing a holiday, we're talking about representing your country here.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:02 am

Stu wrote:In fairness to Baz here, David Bently pulled out after the squads were named to UEFA I believe. Therefore, I think I'm right in saying that Pearce was then unable to name a replacement for Bentley as the deadline had passed, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think thats what happened.

As such, I can see why Bentley was booed by some and understand to a point, though I'd never boo an England player whether it be Carragher who retired coz he couldn't get a spot or Bentley/Agbonglahor who pulled out because they couldn't be @rsed. I don't buy tosh about needing a holiday, we're talking about representing your country here.

That is true, yes. But he'd already warned Pearce beforehand (in private, not through the tabloid press) that if he was named in the squad then he would pull out of it. The reason that Pearce still went ahead and named him was to try to force him into playing anyway. He knew that Bentley would cop a load of stick for it and figured that he'd back down in the face of that and play anyway. But Pearce had misjudged Bentley and lost the battle of wills. That's poor management to me. (What Bentley should really have done is feigned an injury, then we could have had a replacement.)

And if "we're talking about representing your country" then I go back to my point about Rooney and Richards. If this tournament was that important (it wasn't) then they should be there representing their country too.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 pm

Im entiled to my opinion

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:00 pm

big baz 1 wrote:Im entiled to my opinion

Nobody's arguing with that - but you're entitled to change it too!! :wink:

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows