Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Israel

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:59 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 983518.stm

Heskey to start apparently. I would think that was a positive, especially out of the 'choices' left.

Wouldn't mind seeing Barry given a blast as well, thought he did well if a bit un-noticed in the 2nd Half of the Gmbh game.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:35 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Even McClown can put a team together to beat these football none descripts.
At least 3-0, if not more.

Why do people assume that this will be a much easier game than Russia? Russia only drew 1-1 at home to Israel earlier in the campaign. Last tournament, Israel were desperately close to knocking France (the World Cup FINALISTS) out in qualifying. They've only lost 1 of their last 18 competitive games. Anyone who thinks it's going to be easy clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Really?!?!
Once again registered has proved what a muppet he is.
And of course I am RIGHT!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:59 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Even McClown can put a team together to beat these football none descripts.

Why do people assume that this will be a much easier game than Russia? Russia only drew 1-1 at home to Israel earlier in the campaign. Last tournament, Israel were desperately close to knocking France (the World Cup FINALISTS) out in qualifying. They've only lost 1 of their last 18 competitive games. Anyone who thinks it's going to be easy clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Really?!?!

They were dreadful, but the fact remains that they are not non-descripts as you describe. Unless they've fluked their results over the last four years.

Shows what difference it makes though when Lampard isn't in the team.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:03 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Really?!?!

They were dreadful, but the fact remains that they are not non-descripts as you describe. Unless they've fluked their results over the last four years.

Oh right, so now you agree that Israel are really useless, just like I predicted
At least you have some front to admit it.

As for Lampard, thats just a silly argument, and proves how silly you are.

Gerrard did nothing, Cole was the man! :wink:

Face it - I am better judge then you.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Cole wasn't the man. I think Wright-Phillips and Barry were the men.

Well done on predicting that Israel would be terrible, but I was judging them on their competitive results over the past few years, I assume it must just have been your in-depth knowledge of Israeli football that enabled you to make a more accurate forecast.

As for who is the better judge, I direct you here:
http://upthesaddlers.com/bb/prediction- ... 20664.html

:wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:30 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Really?!?!

I agree, and would like to add that you are an excellent judge of football. In fact it's hard to think of anyone better. :P

mikey

Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:59 pm

Much better performance, looked good against a side that we should despatch with ease but, with the way we've been playing lately, was a bit of a worry. Very glad we came through it with a good result.

Looking forward to the Russia game with a bit more confidence now, wonder if he'll keep the same side?

Can't wait to hear that prat, Durham, on talkSPORT when he bottles it on Monday, seeing as Heskey started :lol: :lol:

Much improved Saddlers performance and a much improved England performance. Things are looking good again :D

Still haven't got much confidence in McClown but if we get a few more performances like todays I'll eat humble pie and say I was wrong about him.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:22 am

Thought it was a poor performance, to be honest. Israel looked vaguely competent with no cutting edge (sounds familiar?), while England huffed and puffed all game to little effect. A better team than Israel would have punished the poor passing in England's build-ups, and we were lucky, oh, just a couple of times I'd say - the offside goal, and goal where the keeper was clearly impeded and ended up getting booked, off the top of my head.

I'll forgo the individual assessments, as the team on the pitch was about as makeweight an England XI as you could put together and still not call it England B. McLaren looks like he's lost it on the sideline though - I predict a coronary based on the ruddiness of his complexion and agitated chewing. Someone needs to buy him a nice clipboard too - that scrap of paper he was writing on was embarrassing.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:04 am

The goal wasn't offside!

What exactly do you want Exy ?

The benefit of Gerrard not carrying Lampard was there for all to see, The wide players where good, including the full backs, no way Neville will get his place back now.

They beat what was in front of them with ease, Owen is looking sharper by the game now, Sad but true there is no place for Rooney in the side, Owen/ Crouch or Heskey works better.

Big game in the week, 3 points and I fancy us to qualify

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:13 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Really?!?!

Oh right, so now you agree that Israel are really useless, just like I predicted
At least you have some front to admit it.

As for Lampard, thats just a silly argument, and proves how silly you are.

Gerrard did nothing, Cole was the man! :wink:

Face it - I am better judge then you.

they ay really useless though sheff, youm just t***ing around because registered is right and with the balance of the midfield restored with Gerrard/Barry it was a much better performance, fit or not the pie munching, deflection freaking rouble loving fat gimp SHOULD NOT be in the england team against Russia

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:19 am

Everyone in the world can see Gerrard needs to be set free in the middle of the pitch, my god even Rafa worked it out at last. Lampard is a good player, but sadly there isn't a place for him when Gerrard is fit, as he is clearly one of the top 3 players in the world. He is the best alround player in my opinion

Hargreaves should come in next to Gerrard when available, we have something what looks like a balanced side then

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:21 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Everyone in the world can see Gerrard needs to be set free in the middle of the pitch, my god even Rafa worked it out at last. Lampard is a good player, but sadly there isn't a place for him when Gerrard is fit, as he is clearly one of the top 3 players in the world. He is the best alround player in my opinion

Hargreaves should come in next to Gerrard when available, we have something what looks like a balanced side then

Bindipping scouse sympathiser you may be, but sense you talk Mr Sausage

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:22 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Everyone in the world can see Gerrard needs to be set free in the middle of the pitch, my god even Rafa worked it out at last. Lampard is a good player, but sadly there isn't a place for him when Gerrard is fit, as he is clearly one of the top 3 players in the world. He is the best alround player in my opinion

If Gerrard played for Chelsea , or god forbid Man united, I would still be able to see what a fantastic player he is

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:25 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

If Gerrard played for Chelsea , or god forbid Man united, I would still be able to see what a fantastic player he is

Tis such a shame that a man like Sheff has been taken in with all the hype surrounding Roy of the roubles and now is blinkered by it, I may say a prayer for him.

a blind, dead, necrophiliac old woman would see how good Gerrard is without Lampard

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:43 am

Much better than I Expected to be honest , thats the best i've seen from Owen for a long time. Wednesday will be a much harder task .

Spare a though for Chris Baird , made captain for N.Ireland , scored an own goal in a 1-0 defeat , rotten luck .

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:04 am

That's the most i've enjoyed an England match for a long while, but it's not hard with some of the tripe that'd been churned out recently.

It was good to see McClaren pick players on form for once, not reputation. Admittedly his hand was forced somewhat by injuries, but Barry and Heskey were certainly two of the best players on the day. It will be interesting to see what happens if Lampard and / or Hargreaves are fit for Wednesday.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:12 am

Two reasons why I love, BS.

xx

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:16 am

Fair play to MClown he got his team selection and tactics spot on , but as i said earlier Wednesday will be a harder task , another must win game.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:38 am

Thank God Lampard was injured and I pray he is still injured on Wednesday. He is at best emergency backup for the brilliant Stevie Gerrard.

I actually enjoyed the match - and its been a while since I said that about an England performance.

Emile Heskey, the glaring miss aside, played rather well I thought. Owen also had a good game - the goal was superb. Wright-Phillips was superb and definitely should replace Beckham, who should only be there as a backup (in fact if Lennon's fit, Beckham shouldn't have a look in).

I was pleasantly surprised by Gareth Barry as well.

The only fly in the ointment for me was Phil Neville still being in the fold. When will McClaren realise that he should never ever wear an England shirt again?

Wednesday's going to be a tougher match but I am fairly confident now we can get a result.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:42 am

I fail to see why everyone is saying Gerrard had a good game, I thought Barry was better myself.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:49 am

simply:

3 goals, 3 points, job done.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:The only fly in the ointment for me was Phil Neville still being in the fold. When will McClaren realise that he should never ever wear an England shirt again?

Oh I quite agree. He came on for 20 minutes and gave away two needless fouls and gave the ball away three times. Nowhere near international class. For others in this category see Wes Brown and David James.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:20 pm

David Bentley being given the dog's abuse.

Funny? Deserved? Unfair? Discuss.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:29 pm

I was surprised by that to be honest - Was the stick due to him turning his back on England in the past?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:30 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:I was surprised by that to be honest - Was the stick due to him turning his back on England in the past?

Yep. He declined the offer of a place in the Under-21 Squad for the last tournament, due to end of season 'fatigue'.

I think some of the fans felt he should have made the effort for his country, and were maybe particularly hostile because we came so close to actually winning the thing.

Student

Location: Pic above shows my 3 year-old boy watching Walsall. It dow get any better son!

Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:I was surprised by that to be honest - Was the stick due to him turning his back on England in the past?

Yep. He declined the offer of a place in the Under-21 Squad for the last tournament, due to end of season 'fatigue'.

I think some of the fans felt he should have made the effort for his country, and were maybe particularly hostile because we came so close to actually winning the thing.

I was at the game and Bentley took it well. He even appaluded the fans when the booing started as soon as he came on.

The fans clearly didn't appreciate him turning down the opportunity to play for his country, something that any of them would give their right arm for. Hopefully now that will be the end of it, and the fans give him a break. That's if he gets an opportunity again, as SWP was superb yesterday.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:11 pm

I think he deserved it and it doesn't bode well for the future.

I mean the major tournaments are all at that time of year, so will he be too tired for the Euro Champs next year?

Reality check and hopefully this was it. Fans were right. It really isn't for him to deem the U-21 not worthy of his tired legs. Club versus country rubbish gone mad IMHO.

danksy9
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Student wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I was at the game and Bentley took it well. He even appaluded the fans when the booing started as soon as he came on.

The fans clearly didn't appreciate him turning down the opportunity to play for his country, something that any of them would give their right arm for. Hopefully now that will be the end of it, and the fans give him a break. That's if he gets an opportunity again, as SWP was superb yesterday.

I was also at the game yesterday and to be honest was disgusted with the so called England fan's who had already bood Phil Neville and then to do it to David Bentley as well was disgusting. These same England fans also decided to leave the ground with 10 - 15 minutes to go of the game which i also find totally rubish. Any England player that pull's on a shirt for his country should be given the full support of every fan in the ground regardless of whats gone on before hand. Only David Bentley knew how he felt after the end of last season and in alfairness who are we to force him to play in what was really a pointless tournement that really no body bothered watching anyway. David has proved already this season that thr break he took in the summer has given him chance to recharge his self and force his way into the full England setup by the performances that he's been given for Blackburn.
I also noticed towards the start of the game as the team names were called out a small section bood Emile Heskey as his name was called out , Lets just hope his performance yesterday has proved he is still fit to wear an england shirt. Now lets role on Wednesday and get behind the lads which ever 11 McClaren sends out

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:56 am

David Bentley gets booed what did he expect? to be cheered after he pulled out of the u21s . He wanted to recharge his battereys , he gets 20-30k a week plus bonuses to do what a number of blokes would do for a lot less. To be honest he got booed and he deserved it, a great player but his attitude stinks. Plus how the hell did he get picked for the senior team ahead of jermaine pennant? And i would hardly call the european u21 championships a pointless tournament, the other players in the u21s could of used the same excuse as david bentley, they played that tournamnet had a week 2weeks holiday and went straight into pre season.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 am

big baz 1 wrote:David Bentley gets booed what did he expect? to be cheered after he pulled out of the u21s . He wanted to recharge his battereys , he gets 20-30k a week plus bonuses to do what a number of blokes would do for a lot less. To be honest he got booed and he deserved it, a great player but his attitude stinks. Plus how the hell did he get picked for the senior team ahead of jermaine pennant? And i would hardly call the european u21 championships a pointless tournament, the other players in the u21s could of used the same excuse as david bentley, they played that tournamnet had a week 2weeks holiday and went straight into pre season.

To be fair to Bentley, he did tell Pearce in advance that he didn't want to be considered for the squad as Blackburn were playing in the Intertoto Cup so he'd have to go back to training as soon as the tournament finished (no two week holiday like the rest).

Also, if we're going to boo Bentley, then how about the rest of the players who were eligible for the tournament but didn't go. Gabriel Agbonlahor "lost" his phone so Pearce couldn't get in touch with him and someone else was selected. Wayne Rooney and Micah Richards are also under 21. Shouldn't they have been picked if this tournament was really so important that Bentley deserves to be booed for choosing not to play in it?

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows