Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) Play-offs 2nd leg, Thurs 19th May 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (H) Play-offs 2nd leg, Thurs 19th May 7.45pm

Wed May 18, 2016 9:04 am

tipton saddler wrote:Derby showing us how it's done at the moment.

Thanks I try my best.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 18, 2016 10:19 am

derbysaddler wrote:

Thanks I try my best.

Int it

flying_whinger

Wed May 18, 2016 11:49 am

(posted this in the 1st leg thread by accident)

As soon as Walsall lost to Barnsley, my buddy who I was going to the game with pulled out (absolutely stinking disgrace i'm my opinion, football is about supporting the team, not the result...), so anyone here who's happy to sit next to me in the Community Stand is welcome to join.

I'd settle for a beer and a programme :D

...you wouldn't believe how hard it's been to find somebody to attend the game. I usually play on Thursday's (5's and 7s league at Goals Black Country), so can't take any of my teammates either. Still think it should be a good game, convincing people of that is another matter entirely

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed May 18, 2016 12:32 pm

flying_whinger wrote:Still think it should be a good game, convincing people of that is another matter entirely

I agree. It's rare to be able to attend a game where the home side has literally nothing to lose.

flying_whinger

Wed May 18, 2016 1:00 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I agree. It's rare to be able to attend a game where the home side has literally nothing to lose.

hopefully the players haven't given up on the chance to make history. If they could start with an early goal and the drive and desire they showed at home to Fleetwood/away to Port Vale then they'll have the whole stadium behind them This will be one of the rare occasions where i'll be keeping my statistics to myself :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed May 18, 2016 1:58 pm

flying_whinger wrote:(posted this in the 1st leg thread by accident)

As soon as Walsall lost to Barnsley, my buddy who I was going to the game with pulled out (absolutely stinking disgrace i'm my opinion, football is about supporting the team, not the result...), so anyone here who's happy to sit next to me in the Community Stand is welcome to join.

...you wouldn't believe how hard it's been to find somebody to attend the game. I usually play on Thursday's (5's and 7s league at Goals Black Country), so can't take any of my teammates either. Still think it should be a good game, convincing people of that is another matter entirely

Day e pay ya forrit? I'd a shot the Scunthorpe. :mrgreen:

flying_whinger

Wed May 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Leatherman wrote:

whenever there is something i really like (like Walsall in the playoffs!!!), i usually just get really generous, so i was planning on giving him the ticket for free, so technically i'm just losing the cash i was willing to spend in the first place. i hope that there's a decent crowd though, i don't think i'm the only one who's had a ticket to give away after Saturday's game :(

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Wed May 18, 2016 3:55 pm

I know someone after a ticket!

flying_whinger wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

whenever there is something i really like (like Walsall in the playoffs!!!), i usually just get really generous, so i was planning on giving him the ticket for free, so technically i'm just losing the cash i was willing to spend in the first place. i hope that there's a decent crowd though, i don't think i'm the only one who's had a ticket to give away after Saturday's game :(

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed May 18, 2016 5:09 pm

I hope you've kept a list of all these Scunthorpe and if we get a good result you can tell them to do one when they come begging for Wembley tickets.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed May 18, 2016 5:15 pm

We can take solace from the fact that those of us who are there tomorrow are the true fans. We deserve to see a win. That will be enough for me to be honest. If by some miracle we win, we can all be very smug.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed May 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Zece_WFC wrote:I know someone after a ticket!

flying_whinger wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

Yo need sum nu fwends. :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Zece_WFC wrote:I know someone after a ticket!

Barnsley fan is he? if he's Jesus of Nazareth however, he can have mine.

flying_whinger wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed May 18, 2016 9:41 pm

There have been a few in the same boat as you and it will be tasty if Barnsley score tomorrow as there will be eBay Barnsley in the home end in numbers

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

So far all 4 play off games have been completed and the team with the advantage in the 1st leg has won (Sheffield Wednesday, Hull, Wimbledon, and Plymouth).
6th beat 3rd in League 2 and the Championship.

Surely it can't happen in all 3 divisions?
Last edited by Enniskillen on Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

usa_saddler

Wed May 18, 2016 10:29 pm

As one of the "international" contingent, I would like to echo many of the others who have already expressed thanks to "Welsh Saddler" on his weekly match threads. Given the limited sources of information on how our beloved Saddlers are doing on a week in / week out basis, it is great to have a board like "Up The Saddlers".

Many thanks to all those who contribute on UTS to the match threads and other topics of interest related to Walsall FC. It has been a fun season to be a Saddler fan. While I don't expect to have to make a decision on whether to travel to Wembley a second year in a row, it is not inconceivable that if the Super Saddlers go up two goals in the first half that we could give Barnsley a run for their money.

As always I will be keeping a close eye on the twitter feeds of @VitalWalsall and @BescotBanter during tomorrow's match.

Prediction 3-0 Super Saddlers and a punch in the gut losing 3-2 on penalties - that's the life of a Walsall fan!!!!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 7:44 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Thanks I try my best.

Int it

I really should change my username, haven't lived there for years.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 9:00 am

derbysaddler wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:

Thanks I try my best.

Int it

I really should change my username, haven't lived there for years.

:lol:

Pascal

Thu May 19, 2016 10:11 am

Travelling from Brussels for the game tonight

Even with the first leg defeat I am still excited to watch the play-offs and keen to support us to the end of a very good season

I was unable to make it to South Yorkshire for the 1st leg - watched it in an Irish pub

Barnsley were good - fair play - but if we were more lucky with the deflections (2 goals) and converted our key chances (Mantom & Bradshaw) we would be in a very different position.

We have a chance - a small one - Barnsley are not Madrid

Barnsley have a good game plan to neutralize us - lets hope we can change our style and cause them a few more problems

We need to play our best and score first for it to be an exciting evening.....some outrageous good fortune would help too

#UTS

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 pm

If we score in the first 20 minutes it becomes interesting.

Like others have said, Barnsley neutralised us in the first game for large parts. We were unlucky with the deflections but they had a goal chalked offside that should have stood.

Just wish we had managed to put one of our chances / half chances past them.

It's been a wonderful season & we have nothing to lose (bar half the squad) give them hell boys.

UTS.

UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 2:22 pm

I'll be sitting by the dock of Discovery Bay, Hong Kong, between 2.45am and 4.45am (later if it goes to extra time), watching on my phone. I get a better WiFi signal there than at home.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Guest wrote:I'll be sitting by the dock of Discovery Bay, Hong Kong, between 2.45am and 4.45am (later if it goes to extra time), watching on my phone. I get a better WiFi signal there than at home.

"Dock of discovery bay...." They've got one of those in Portsmouth, different kinda place I suspect.

Anyway, a massive UP THE SADDLERS!!! What a season, amazing if we did something tonight but if we don't then onwards and upwards hopefully next season. C'mon LADS!! COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 2:32 pm

1-1 draw, Barnlsey with 4-1 on aggregate.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 4:19 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:1-1 draw, Barnlsey with 4-1 on aggregate.

Sounds exciting :lol:

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 19, 2016 4:28 pm

4-1 Walsall.
Bradshaw, Morris, Chambers :shock: and Mantom..... Ever the optimist.

Hope whatever the score is that people stay and show appreciation of what has been an exciting season, and don't get too negative or abusive if we don't get through.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu May 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Be positive, we have pulled a 3 goal deficit back against Barnsley before so can do it again. Onwards and upwards.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 4:37 pm

TownSwift wrote:anyone remember may 1988 when we stuffed bristol city 4-0...or did i dream that?
but, yes, barnsley will score on the break, and make it nigh impossible...
yep I was there, remember invading the pitch carrying the players and coakley above our heads :lol:

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 5:10 pm

As long as we put up a real fight, I'll be content.

cack happens, we weren't three goals worse on Saturday (despite the over-reactions of some), two deflections and some non-taken chances. The likeliehood is that the chance has gone, but as long as I see players busting their balls to give it a go, I'll be there at the end thanking them for the most exciting season in a decade.

UTS

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Crap journey up from Swansea to find the Matthew Fryatt hotel is full of narrrrvvenass :(

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Thu May 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Sat at home in Northern Ireland wishing I was there, but have doubts about the team! Looks like 3-4-1-2 with no Forde, Morris or Llakovic

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu May 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Team News for tonights game
Etheridge
Taylor
O'Connor
Downing
Demetriou
Mantom
Chambers