Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) Play-offs 2nd leg, Thurs 19th May 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Mazza01
UTS Legend

Re: Barnsley (H) Play-offs 2nd leg, Thurs 19th May 7.45pm

Thu May 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Despite a good season I can't help but feel dissapointed, we got it so wrong it's untrue from tactics to individual players personal performances.

No team should lose 6-1 over a to leg playoff!

UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 9:32 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Who were the tools who booed at half time, absolutely ridiculous.. As were some of the comments from people sat behind me ('we are embarrassing', 'same cack every season', having a moan at people singing because we weren't winning).. :roll:

Probably the same mongs that turned up 10 minutes after kick off and we're still trying to get to their seats or the ones leaving when we went 2-0 down.
Don't know why some of these "fans" even bothered to turn up.

I'm still here in DB plaza. No one else around. No idea what they were watching/ doing on their phones.

UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Despite a good season I can't help but feel dissapointed, we got it so wrong it's untrue from tactics to individual players personal performances.

Agreed. But you knew it was going to happen.

It was automatic or bust. That 92nd minute Burton goal v Gillingham did for us.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Guest wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Despite a good season I can't help but feel dissapointed, we got it so wrong it's untrue from tactics to individual players personal performances.

Agreed. But you knew it was going to happen.

It was automatic or bust. That 92nd minute Burton goal v Gillingham did for us.

Swindon at home for me mate, that was the one.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 9:48 pm

General points from tonight in no order -

1. We can't defend crosses/set pieces. Need more aerial power in the team desperately along with a couple of bad losers in there (sick of saying it).
2. I think Whitney will get the job but I worry if he's any more than a motivator and if he can hack it over a whole season.
3. I love Sawyers and Bradshaw but I think they have been gone in their own heads for ages.
4. Mantom plays like a robot and never actually looks up when he's near the opposition goal.
5. Booing at half time was barclays of the highest order.
6. Mawson of Barnsley will be Prem one day.
7. We are better than Burton, SOD cost us. twerp him.

Ah well, we're going to Shrewsbury! :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Just a case of two games too far for me in the end. As much as there was suggestion we didn't do ourselves justice on Saturday, we were second best again tonight against a very good Barnsley side.

I'm trying to look at things objectively as possible. We went into pretty much every one of our 46 league games with the top two in our sights, even going into injury time at Vale hoping we might just pull it off. Ultimately, we failed to squeeze into that top two and mentally, that's tiring no matter who you are.

By contrast, they more or less had six/seven months to get into the playoffs - which they did. They had momentum on their side and I'd argue a fresher squad than ours too. Hammill, Isgrove, Fletcher and Brownhill - probably their four best players tonight - weren't playing for them prior to November. I might sound like I'm clutching at straws, but there must have been a clear difference in the mental and physical state of the respective squads going into the playoffs.

We weren't good enough to go up, but it's been a great season and a great effort by the majority of people connected to the club. The togetherness and scenes at the end of the game were pleasing to see and exactly the sort of outlook this season should be remembered for, rather than some of the complete rubbish seen on social media last weekend.

What happens over the next few weeks will certainly be interesting, but there's plenty to be optimistic about.

SWS1

Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 pm

TownSwift wrote:anyone remember may 1988 when we stuffed bristol city 4-0...or did i dream that?
but, yes, barnsley will score on the break, and make it nigh impossible...

As it turned out, it was an offside goal rather than a breakaway per se that did it.
I couldn't bring myself to post after Saturday, and tonight I am devastated. Honestly, I would rather we had been sh-it over the two legs and got beat like that: I'd then have been resigned to the result but I thought we were unlucky over two legs not to have had a few goals - we weren't THAT much worse than them. A bit of luck at the right times and a goal or two at the psychological moments (like what they had) and it would all have been different. Well, that's what I think. I can't believe I'm still sober, to be honest.
Having said all that, what a fantastic season we've had. Loved it (well, most of it). Great credit to the players and management. Well done, all :D
And I might as well add: well done, Welshie, what a sterling effort. We need a genuine, literate intellectual like you to raise the tone of the board :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 10:01 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Crap journey up from Swansea to find the Matthew Fryatt hotel is full of narrrrvvenass :(

Including some northern Saddlers! :wink:

I'm in the bar now - say hello :D

UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Guest wrote:It's nearly 5 in the morning in HK, and I need a drink...

It's now 6am and I have found an all night 7-eleven. They do drink in HK. Before I sink into oblivion, I must also thank Welsh for his excellent prologues.

Work needed on the epilogues, though.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 pm

A massively disappointing end to a generally terrific, memorable season. Such a shame. Over 46 games the league table shows we were far better than Barnsley but over the two that ultimately mattered, they were just streets ahead of us (yes you can say their first two goals in the first leg were fortuitous, and obviously we had to go for it tonight which was always going to leave us exposed, but they were so much better than we were - a combined XI from the two games would be their XI and none of ours would even come close).

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Have to say I got it massively wrong...I really thought Bradford were the team to avoid over two legs after the spanking a few weeks back although Barnsley whacking in 4 at Wigan did seem a tad ominous...

Them's the breaks though. You don't get automatic promotion which was very achievable this season and you run the risk of a no show in the play offs.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 10:34 pm

I thought we played well at times tonight but were beaten by a better team on the night.The first leg result was obviously a factor in how we played and that result decided the tie.Anyway I am looking forward to the comings and goings of the summer and next year.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Thu May 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Three mistakes cost us three goals tonight. The first,mistake by the linesman, offside. Second mistake Sam Winall, misskick turned into a great dummy. Third, poor old Rico again!

Barnsley attacked with purpose. We played tip tap again. Not at the races. On TV it always looked as our Barnsley played a very positive 5-5-5 system. We had loads of possession, kept by playing sideways and backwards.
We need some bullies for next season.

PT
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Poo.

Anyway, when are the fixtures out?

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu May 19, 2016 10:41 pm

Caught the end of Whitney's interview on Sky News and he sounded damning about the defending. Seemed to be saying he wants defenders who want to defend first rather than play.

There is room for defenders playing a bit - no need to be a donkey - but he is right. Not just the usual Downing scapegoat either, they all need to improve including O'Connor as do the men in front of them. Much of our defensive frailty stems from us basically expecting our centre halves to do all of the physical and aerial work - everyone should contribute and tackling is a skill every bit as much as flicks and tricks.

We can keep the footballing philosophy easily but it needs tweaking to deal with the realities of League 1.

notts_saddler

Thu May 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Guest wrote:
portlandbill wrote:
notts_saddler wrote:Took me 20 mins to get the live sky stream thru train wifi to laptop, see 5 mins of the game, they score, then stream dies. Can't even get a signal on phone now :(

You're lucky!![/quote

I had some problems in the first half, but not in the second. Thank you to the person above who mentioned that I now have to go through this with England! (Maybe at a more convenient time in HK. Might even be on in the bars.)

Most of the 2nd half spent in the car from station to home, hoping for a chance mention on either 5 live or Talksport - was one single report in 35 mins - I was actually hoping for some commentary, are we the most uncovered football club by TV & radio? Least I saw the final 10 mins when i got back including Cook's goal.

For next season, 50/50 on Whitters too, admire the guys positivity & passion but needs someone alongside him with proper tactical nous. But everything hangs on who stays or leaves.

UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 11:04 pm

A bloody awful season.

Flattered to deceive...

(I may review this comment after I've sobered up and had some sleep. Good morning, HK.)

UTS Legend

Thu May 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Not available to those lucky enough to live overseas (unless they have VPN).

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10288400/walsall-1-3-barnsley

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 7:13 am

All this talk of a structure change - 20 teams per division etc.
What about a rule change - no loan players allowed in the playoffs.
I seem to remember last season Preston's loan players did the job for them in the playoffs.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Fri May 20, 2016 7:17 am

aah, the joys of being a Saddler.

At the start of the season I'd have been been happy to reach the play-offs at all, but having touched the top of the table it's ended up feeling like such a disappointment. And now the uncertainty begins. Well, whoever pulls on the shirt next season will get my support and best of luck to those searching for greener grass.

As for last night, it reminded me of so many games under Smith. Some nice passing but getting nowhere. Finally reach the edge of their area and we just keep passing until we're tackled or a flick doesn't come off. Every time they attacked I was concerned. Give Etheridge a pay rise. The man stopped it getting into double figures. No urgency. Every time it was a touch too many or a pass too many. Infuriating.

Until next season, thanks to the lads for giving us a great ride this year. Thanks to Welshy for his excellent match threads. Up The Saddlers!

LD

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 7:37 am

HUMILIATION, they were stronger, fitter, more organised, more skilful (how on earth was this team, with most of it's current members, bottom of our league at one stage?) they outplayed us, and outclassed us.
Last night was so indicative of an FA Cup match against a Championship side, the gulf in class was severe, though we ran around a lot, we had no thrust, no real threat against an organised side, who just had to step up a gear in order to muller us.
Whitney's team choice was again naïve to say the least, no wingers equals no threat.
To stand any chance to turn things around we had to get an early goal, in fact it took us 20 minutes to get out of our own half, and in the meantime they had scored to make it mission impossible.
We contrived to make it an evening of celebration for those Yorkshire gits even more probable.
Though I like Whitney his team selections of late have been bizarre, we need a proper manager if we are to avoid a disappointing follow on season.
Rico's blunder just lowered his asking price considerably, but the poor lad was utterly exhausted, being the ONLY threat going forward in that miserable first half.
Sawyers was already on the beach in the Carribean, celebrating his impending big money transfer, I wonder if the club will see any of this or will it disappear into that mysterious black hole that swallows up incoming funds?
The fact that Cook was the only scorer sums up our evening.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 am

PT wrote:Poo.

Anyway, when are the fixtures out?

This is more like it! :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 7:46 am

Why?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 7:48 am

Guest wrote:I hope Loansley lose at Wembley. Not that I am bitter or anything

If I'm being honest so do I.

It's just that I'd prefer a day out in Barnsley to Millwall - nothing personal to Barnsley fans or their club.
Last edited by Leatherman on Fri May 20, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 7:53 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Season over. A good season, by and large, spoiled somewhat by the ending! Well done Barnsley, you deserved to progress on the strength of those two performances.

Note: Barnsley supporters' comments on the game will be welcomed, but any excessive crowing or gloating and they will be unceremoniously kicked into touch.

It's definitely a funny old game. Smith's first (half) season in charge was crap until we avoided the drop by losing to Southampton 3-1 and it felt like we'd been promoted.

Fast forward to this season and it's been an excellent season lose 3-1 finish third and it feels as though we've been relegated.

I can't get my head around it.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 7:57 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:Waiting for the traffic to clear before heading home.

Better than Saturday.... only marginally but still better.

We started off slow and resorted to hoofing it up front.
Started to create the odd chance then their goal just knocked the stuffing out of the game and we ran after shadows for the remainder of the half.

Started off the 2nd half really giving it a go but kept running into brick walls, not helped by most players opting to pass to someone else to shoot rather than having a go themselves.
Once their 2nd went in we just gave up. For the last half hour most of the team looked like they just wanted to go home.

Disappointing to go out like that.
Losing was bad enough but doing it without any kind of fight was a kick in the teeth.

Oh well. Collected our season tickets for next season before the game so will see how England do in the Euros and be back next season. Looking forward to some local away games for us in MK and Northampton.

PS. I hope those that said they were moving their tickets upstairs to the Upper to join the singers do so as its been bloody good atmosphere up there this season and would be great to expand!

UTS

King Louis and his entourage will be pleased! ... :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 8:06 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:Not much to say about the game, but that we have been beaten by a team who were far better than us in both games.

Incredibly proud after this season though, it's had so many ups and downs, just a shame we couldn't end it on a big positive, but that's football.
This team has surpassed most supporters expectations this season, and I'm glad the majority of people stayed behind after the game to show their appreciation.

Who were the tools who booed at half time, absolutely ridiculous.. As were some of the comments from people sat behind me ('we are embarrassing', 'same cack every season', having a moan at people singing because we weren't winning).. :roll:

It's been a great season, roll on August!

Exactly this.
I am so, so, bitterly disappointed at how it's all ended but looking back we've had more good than bad days haven't we?

Forest, Brighton, Brentford and I'm sure that when you look back in a few years time it will be with more of a wry smile and a sigh than the anger and frustration we all feel now.

What could have been hey? If only....

fudge that for a game of soldiers...

Que sera sera, what ever will be will be,

We're going to Shrewsbury,

Que sera, sera! :D

See you in July at Burton for the preseason friendly until then, be good.

Over and out.

P.S. Sorry, not quite over and out: if you have half a brain please remember to vote 'Remain' (this isn't a vote for Sawyers bytheway - that would be Romaine and he'll be voting to leave anyway.) on the 23 June.

If however, you have a whole brain and it is full working order, vote 'LEAVE'.

As you were.
Last edited by Leatherman on Fri May 20, 2016 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri May 20, 2016 8:07 am

Hurting this morning. Obviously beaten by the better team last night.

1. We need a big beast centre half who wins everything in the air, because we are so vulnerable to crosses and have been for years.

2. Bradshaw has lumps kicked out of him every single game and the ref just waves play on.

3. I wouldn't mind the current management team staying place.

4. Why am I more unhappy this morning, having finished a great season in 3rd, than I was the day after our loss at St Mary's when we finished one above relegation?

5. I've got my Middlesex season ticket, time for cricket. Forget football for the summer.

6. Edit - forgot about the Euros

7. 5 loan players in your team is too many. Should be limited to a maximum of 2 in any squad. 3 if you need an emergency keeper.
Last edited by aaaae on Fri May 20, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Fri May 20, 2016 8:13 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:HUMILIATION, they were stronger, fitter, more organised, more skilful (how on earth was this team, with most of it's current members, bottom of our league at one stage?) they outplayed us, and outclassed us.
Last night was so indicative of an FA Cup match against a Championship side, the gulf in class was severe, though we ran around a lot, we had no thrust, no real threat against an organised side, who just had to step up a gear in order to muller us.
Whitney's team choice was again naïve to say the least, no wingers equals no threat.
To stand any chance to turn things around we had to get an early goal, in fact it took us 20 minutes to get out of our own half, and in the meantime they had scored to make it mission impossible.
We contrived to make it an evening of celebration for those Yorkshire gits even more probable.
Though I like Whitney his team selections of late have been bizarre, we need a proper manager if we are to avoid a disappointing follow on season.
Rico's blunder just lowered his asking price considerably, but the poor lad was utterly exhausted, being the ONLY threat going forward in that miserable first half.
Sawyers was already on the beach in the Carribean, celebrating his impending big money transfer, I wonder if the club will see any of this or will it disappear into that mysterious black hole that swallows up incoming funds?
The fact that Cook was the only scorer sums up our evening.

I take it that 'mothers little helpers' have worn off then. :lol:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri May 20, 2016 8:56 am

Had a chat with a few Barnsley fans on the way back to the car last night. They seemed to think that their loan players didn't make a lot of difference to their team, despite 5 of the 6 goals I've seen Barnsley score at the Banks's this season being scored by these loan players.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season