Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) Play-off Semi 1st leg, Sat 14th May 5.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (A) Play-off Semi 1st leg, Sat 14th May 5.30pm

Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 am

You made a good point though Rob. Why persist in playing the same way? Firstly has it ever really worked at any point this season, we have always looked at our worst when our main tactic was just to aim for Bradshaw. Secondly when they are absolutely battering him, why continue to play this way. Makes no sense, we are far better when we try and play football. I know they were pressing well, but with the players we have, we should have been able to do better.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon May 16, 2016 9:03 am

BBC stats for the game (below) are a total surprise to me - it didn't feel like we had superior possession during the game (at any stage really) and quite where the 15 shots come from is beyond me...

I only had 2 pints before the game but I'm wondering if I was watching something else!!

Just shows how much more effective they were when they had the ball!!

Possession
Home41%
Away59%

Shots
Home11
Away15

Shots on Target
Home8
Away5

Corners
Home4
Away1

Fouls
Home11
Away9

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 16, 2016 10:56 am

With all the press coverage and photographers at the match its strange that The Sunday Mirror decided to publish a picture of Winnal scoring against Wigan next to the match report. :?:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon May 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Micky Finn wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Whitters wrote:No-one has mentioned the ref.
I thought he did ok but he did let Bradshaw get repeatedly hammered by their goons.

I thought the ref had a poor first half too, but by the third time a Bradshaw assault didn't result in a free kick, we should have tried to play the ball on the grass.

Hi -me again. Genuinely curious about this. Consensus in the home stands - even from the more rational types - was that Bradshaw got away with absolute murder every single time the long ball came in. We all see the subtle nudge from both defenders & strikers in football just as their opponent is about to jump for a ball, or using body strength to throw them off balance, but there was nothing subtle from your boy. Every single time, often using both hands, pushed our centre-back just as he was about to jump. Took the word 'blatant' to new & exciting heights, but the ref just didn't seem interested. I'm all for refs letting the game flow and allowing good, hard tackles, but not sure what amazed me more - Bradshaw's tactics, or the ref letting it go. Still, just underlines how differently two sets of fans can interpret a game!!

Oh, and I can't let the 'goons' bit go. Seriously?? Sorry to disappoint, but that's not how Mawson & Roberts play the game.

Both were at it and neither worse than the other. Both got decisions.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon May 16, 2016 6:39 pm

Bradshaw goes down far too easily. Part of his 'game' I guess

Another reason he needs a partner cos lumping the ball up to him achieved absolutely fk all

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon May 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Just got back from Italy and whilst I have been away we have turned(according to most on here) into a rubbish team..phrases like "he is not fit to wear the shirt" and "bottlers" abound!!! Lets get a sense of perspective...in any "proper " competition the team who finished 10 points clear of the opposition would not be subjected to this nonsense. I also refuse to believe that a team who have had such a good season deserves all this abuse!! Ok Barnsley were better on the night we might be better Thursday although I doubt we will be 3 goals better!!!
I understand Henry has been subjected to abuse....What the hell is going on? One of the best young players we have ever had being abused. Some people need to get a life.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon May 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Walsallone wrote:Just got back from Italy and whilst I have been away we have turned(according to most on here) into a rubbish team..phrases like "he is not fit to wear the shirt" and "bottlers" abound!!! Lets get a sense of perspective...in any "proper " competition the team who finished 10 points clear of the opposition would not be subjected to this nonsense. I also refuse to believe that a team who have had such a good season deserves all this abuse!! Ok Barnsley were better on the night we might be better Thursday although I doubt we will be 3 goals better!!!
I understand Henry has been subjected to abuse....What the hell is going on? One of the best young players we have ever had being abused. Some people need to get a life.

I'm not sure about the Henry abuse tale. I have a feeling it is either fabrication, or massive exaggeration. If not, then I agree it is disgusting. Was it at the game, or on social media ? I have read a few have a pop at Sawyers, who looked like he would be rather be anywhere else Saturday. Nothing over the top though either, no personal abuse.

At the game, a large majority stayed behind to clap the team off, and sing Walsall songs, despite the result and poor performance. Only a couple of players + Jon Whitney responded, the rest plodded off down the tunnel. I get that they wanted to get out of there, so I'm not making a big thing of that, although I think I'd have been happier if they had run down the tunnel. We gave them great support on Saturday, as we have all season, especially away games. Lets not let a small minority sour our otherwise brilliant support please.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue May 17, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks W-A-W....perhaps I read too much into some of the comments on here! You see I am proud of this team and what they have achieved this year and I don't think one match,albeit an important one,should blind us to the fact that we have competed well and in the right spirit. Whatever happens on Thursday lets hope we can build on this next season..

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 am

Walsallone wrote:Thanks W-A-W....perhaps I read too much into some of the comments on here! You see I am proud of this team and what they have achieved this year and I don't think one match,albeit an important one,should blind us to the fact that we have competed well and in the right spirit. Whatever happens on Thursday lets hope we can build on this next season..

I agree totally. I never slung any abuse at any player Saturday, but I can tell you this. My feelings after the game Saturday were much different to what they are now. Some of the things I came out with were ridiculous when I look back, brought on by total frustration and emotions running wild. Not making excuses for anyone, I don't know what was said, but if anyone has abused Rico they should be ashamed of themselves. The vast majority despite being wounded did stay and show their appreciation to the team, I assume for the whole season rather than Saturday's disaster.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue May 17, 2016 8:37 am

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Thanks W-A-W....perhaps I read too much into some of the comments on here! You see I am proud of this team and what they have achieved this year and I don't think one match,albeit an important one,should blind us to the fact that we have competed well and in the right spirit. Whatever happens on Thursday lets hope we can build on this next season..

I agree totally. I never slung any abuse at any player Saturday, but I can tell you this. My feelings after the game Saturday were much different to what they are now. Some of the things I came out with were ridiculous when I look back, brought on by total frustration and emotions running wild. Not making excuses for anyone, I don't know what was said, but if anyone has abused Rico they should be ashamed of themselves. The vast majority despite being wounded did stay and show their appreciation to the team, I assume for the whole season rather than Saturday's disaster.

What people so easily forget is that Henry is young and is LEARNING the game. He has made mistakes in the past and I'm pretty sure he will make them in the future. He shouldn't let this bother him and I'm sure Whitney will help bolster his confidence when this happens. He is the player with the most potential in the Walsall squad at the moment and whilst he is still a bit raw, his lack of experience will be exploited by older, more wilely and experienced players on occasion. The important thing is he learns from it and shrugs it off, treating it as part of the journey all successful players go through if they are ever to make a living out of the game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue May 17, 2016 12:21 pm

I was one to over react after the game, i was fuming.

But, even on reflection im still annoyed at certain performances and the way we played.

Barnsley played well, but we let them. Two of the goals had a large chunk of luck but you cant say they didn't deserve them.

I forgot Sawyers was playing, Henry was repeatedly destroyed, Lalkovic does a lot of good things but then ruins them with poor finishes/final pass. Morris barely touched the ball either. Bradshaw struggled with the balls in the air, but he doesnt really help himself at all these days. He was so isolated though, which was odd considering we were playing two attacking midfielders and two wingers.

The subs he made at 3-0 he should have made at 1-0 down. The team was set up all wrong, its all good and well wanting to play attacking football but it was naive to think we could play that way in away in play off semi final against a very decent side.

Crap. We are all so annoyed because we know that this wonderful teams legacy will be failure.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 17, 2016 3:59 pm

I thought Morris was the only bright spark out of a depressing performance, don't get me wrong he was by no means brilliant, but he was the only one that seemed to have any attacking intent about them. As soon as he hauled him off, I pretty much knew we weren't going to score.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Tue May 17, 2016 7:08 pm

Henry had poor game along with others he was given the runaround but that is one game compared to the many he has been star player,he is young and still learning.I did feel disappointed with him but would like to thank him for all the pleasure he has given me this season.
I hope we can keep him maybe on season loan so that I can enjoy watching him again, he may deserve to be criticised (it comes with the job) but abused NO.

UTS Legend

Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 pm

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed May 18, 2016 8:58 am

I think its a part of today's game that unfortunately won't go away.

Saturday, I was distraught at the way we played, the sh**ty goals and the substitutions, like most were but I never once felt like shouting abuse. But the guys behind me, in their forties - not new fans - started slagging people off as soon as we went a goal down with cries of 'he's s**t and has been all season' against Sawyers and my own personal favourite about Etheridge 'I've always said he was a effing waste of space' after a poor kick.

It's the same as just expecting to roll over decent teams because we've had a - rare - successful season. Last year we weren't even 100% safe from relegation until the end of April but that's quickly forgotten. The fans who stay at the end tomorrow if it doesn't go well will acknowledge that we've had a very good season and appreciate that it doesn't happen that often. Those that have already left before full time (or didn't go at all just because we're three down) were never really 'there' to begin with.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 18, 2016 10:25 am

nottmsaddler wrote:I think its a part of today's game that unfortunately won't go away.

Saturday, I was distraught at the way we played, the sh**ty goals and the substitutions, like most were but I never once felt like shouting abuse. But the guys behind me, in their forties - not new fans - started slagging people off as soon as we went a goal down with cries of 'he's s**t and has been all season' against Sawyers and my own personal favourite about Etheridge 'I've always said he was a effing waste of space' after a poor kick.

It's the same as just expecting to roll over decent teams because we've had a - rare - successful season. Last year we weren't even 100% safe from relegation until the end of April but that's quickly forgotten. The fans who stay at the end tomorrow if it doesn't go well will acknowledge that we've had a very good season and appreciate that it doesn't happen that often. Those that have already left before full time (or didn't go at all just because we're three down) were never really 'there' to begin with.

Quite judgmental if you don't mind me saying so. I wasn't going to bother, I have a lot going on in life at the moment, and an evenings worth of time means a lot to me. I have talked myself round in to going now, but will I stay till the end and after? I don't know. What I do know is, you wont find all that many people who have followed Walsall like I have over the years. All those shitty times you talk about, I've been there through all of them home and away. I haven't always stayed until the end, sometimes I've gone back to the pub, or whatever.

I don't do the slagging players off thing, not at the games anyway. Anything people said after the game on Saturday should be taken with a pinch of salt, as they were no doubt said with high emotions, and a feeling of sickness.

flying_whinger

Wed May 18, 2016 11:11 am

I don't know if I should post this here or elsewhere, but mods welcome to move it to another thread if necessary.

As soon as Walsall lost to Barnsley, my buddy who I was going to the game with pulled out (absolutely stinking disgrace i'm my opinion, football is about supporting the team, not the result...), so anyone here who's happy to sit next to me in the Community Stand is welcome to join.

I'd settle for a beer and a programme :D

...you wouldn't believe how hard it's been to find somebody to attend the game. I usually play on Thursday's (5's and 7s league at Goals Black Country), so can't take any of my teammates either. Still think it should be a good game, convincing people of that is another matter entirely

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed May 18, 2016 11:35 am

flying_whinger wrote:I don't know if I should post this here or elsewhere, but mods welcome to move it to another thread if necessary.

As soon as Walsall lost to Barnsley, my buddy who I was going to the game with pulled out (absolutely stinking disgrace i'm my opinion, football is about supporting the team, not the result...), so anyone here who's happy to sit next to me in the Community Stand is welcome to join.

I'd settle for a beer and a programme :D

...you wouldn't believe how hard it's been to find somebody to attend the game. I usually play on Thursday's (5's and 7s league at Goals Black Country), so can't take any of my teammates either. Still think it should be a good game, convincing people of that is another matter entirely

ha ha had the same problem mate, I have had to resort to giving my ticket away to someone I don't know as my mates just aren't interested. :lol: :lol:

flying_whinger

Wed May 18, 2016 11:48 am

Mazza01 wrote:ha ha had the same problem mate, I have had to resort to giving my ticket away to someone I don't know as my mates just aren't interested. :lol: :lol:

I managed to get a couple of mates to the Fleetwood game telling them about how there'd be bombing runs down the wings and that Walsall would play some really nice football, and that actually panned out for once (lucky we found a parking spot and got to our seats before Bradshaw's early goal).

The same line worked for the play-off game, except that my mate friend kopped out after seeing the scoreline from the first leg :?

I try and host random travellers through CouchSurfing, but even the the travellers aren't interested, i guess there's nothing glossy about a wet Thursday night in Walsall when there isn't guaranteed glory nailed on the board.

I'll copy this into the 2nd leg thread too, just realised i posted it in the 1st leg thread...can't help, can it? :oops:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat May 21, 2016 6:49 pm

flying_whinger wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:ha ha had the same problem mate, I have had to resort to giving my ticket away to someone I don't know as my mates just aren't interested. :lol: :lol:

I managed to get a couple of mates to the Fleetwood game telling them about how there'd be bombing runs down the wings and that Walsall would play some really nice football, and that actually panned out for once (lucky we found a parking spot and got to our seats before Bradshaw's early goal).

The same line worked for the play-off game, except that my mate friend kopped out after seeing the scoreline from the first leg :?

I try and host random travellers through CouchSurfing, but even the the travellers aren't interested, i guess there's nothing glossy about a wet Thursday night in Walsall when there isn't guaranteed glory nailed on the board.

I'll copy this into the 2nd leg thread too, just realised i posted it in the 1st leg thread...can't help, can it? :oops:

Jesus, you were late, he scored in the second half!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Wragbyred wrote:
flying_whinger wrote:

Jesus, you were late, he scored in the second half!!

No....Bradshaw scored in the 2nd minute, not the 2nd half!!! Downing and Sawyers scored in the 2nd half.

:wink:

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season