Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) Play-off Semi 1st leg, Sat 14th May 5.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Fish
UTS Veteran

Re: Barnsley (A) Play-off Semi 1st leg, Sat 14th May 5.30pm

Sun May 15, 2016 4:20 am

Just back (from behind the sofa)

Awful, embarrassing. Out fought, out thought, out bullied. Once again on the big day we froze.
Everyone, four out of ten - no exceptions (except the supporters who made the trip and who deserved a lot better)

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 7:31 am

We'll struggle to get this back obviously as they are strong in all areas.
Particularly the loan player area as they have heaps from top clubs.
No need for the top clubs to have B teams in the lower divisions, their players already play there.
If they do happen to go up they'll come straight back down as they'll be shyte with their own players.

But we can't do any worse in terms of letting in goals - there must be videos around on keeping it tight at the back.
They could have been 4 up as well as the lino was totally wrong in the first half.
We were unlucky with deflections.
Don't know without watching it again (and I won't be doing that) how they nullified Sawyers or did he just nullify himself?

I thought Etheridge did well - it was almost a classy mistake-free masterclass apart from a couple of moments - well done lad.

So, 3-nil down at half time with a full 90 to fix it....come on lads!

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun May 15, 2016 8:14 am

How to watch Walsall and ruin your weekend! Hope and aspiration dashed in 10 mins or so.

We were beaten from the 1st minute as to be fair to Barnsley they were on us and hassled and pressured. Unlike at Port Vale we didn't get a chance to get a shot off. And the lack of time on the ball meant we ended up lumping it forward. We failed to adapt or change so persisted in playing straight into their hands. Lump forward, they win header, knock down to midfield over to winger and repeat.

We were murdered down the wings especially our left where Henry was torn a new one. Forde and Sawyers disappeared and Chambers was overrun.

Viewpoints of players having already left is one thing, if I had watched that I would have seen our best players bottle another big game. Would make me think twice about putting a contract in front of them.

As we have another 90 mins ahead of us if isn't over, but we can be honest enough about our chances, and previous home performance against Barnsley to say we are playing for pride.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 am

The exhaust was suddenly hanging off as I was driving home from Leeds this morning. Summed up the last 24 hours for me. Thankfully the RAC guy was able to do a temporary repair. I think the team will need more extensive repairs if we are to have the remotest chance on Thursday. I've got a ticket but in two minds now about whether I will come down.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 9:14 am

fudge useless

Didn't turn up. Barring a near miracle now I think we've fudge it.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 9:27 am

I'm absolutely gutted. Wanted to sleep on it before posting anything though.

Wembley was a shame, but yesterday hurt me more because it was a game that actually mattered. Did I expect us to win against the league's form side? Not necessarily. Did I expect us to try to play the way we have done all season? Yes. To play the way we did, like a group who'd never played together before, wasn't acceptable.

We got caught in a viscous cycle and couldn't get out of it. Lump the ball long and lose it to them. They then do the same and we get caught out because that was their game plan rather than ours. You can point the finger at the likes of Downing for playing those long aimless balls to Bradshaw if you like, but the options in front of our back four when we did have the ball were non-existent. I don't like the way certain keyboard warriors in Twitter dish out stick to individual players, but Sawyers is getting pelters because he played like he didn't want to be there. For his sake, I hope he's got his big Championship move sorted already, because I don't think he'll have many queuing up for his signature after that.

Looking through the rest of the team, I don't think effort, passion and other such emotion-led qualities were lacking. We simply weren't good enough. Both centre halves were responsible for a goal each, Demetriou had his worst game in a Walsall shirt, Henry was destroyed, and Forde was anonymous - that's three of our most consistent performers found completely wanting. He didn't help Henry out at all defensively, but I thought Lalkovic at least kept his chin up, kept plugging away, and probably carved out our two or three best chances.

I'll give Mantom credit where it's due too. They were sitting on their 3-0 by the time he came on, but he got on the ball, kept it in their half, made runs beyond the striker, and was the pick of the midfield for however long he was on for. Hindsight suggests he should have started, but who'd have changed the team after that 5-0 win at Vale?

Whitney seems to be getting a bit of stick for his tactics on Twitter and I'm not sure which side of the fence I should be on. Without the benefit of hindsight, who would have genuinely picked a more defensive/balanced side after that Vale performance? That said, it's those decisions that managers rather than fans are paid to make and the result suggests Whitney got it wrong.

There are a couple of things I'll defend Whitney for though:
- Taking Bradshaw off might have looked negative, but it just wasn't working at the time. I think Whitney just felt he needed to shuffle the pack in a desperate effort to get us back in the game and Hiwula offers something different. Bradshaw (and his mum) might not have been happy, but I think you have to give the manager the benefit of the doubt there.
- Taylor was lined up to come on because Rico looked like he was really struggling and had signalled to the bench. The u-turn happened as Rico suddenly said he was fine just as he was about to be taken off. So it wasn't the managerial indecisiveness some made it out to be.

It's a difficult one. Our last two performances against sides in the top six suggest Whitney struggles to get it right in big games, but the players have to take responsibility at times. I think yesterday was more a case of the players not turning up than the manager getting it wrong.

There isn't a lot any of the players should be given a pat on the back for, but fair play to James O'Connor and the way he came over to the fans at the end. That, to me, was the sort of taking of responsibility - and frankly, balls - some of his team mates could do with adopting themselves. We might not go through, but there's a few who need to use Thursday as a chance to redeem themselves.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I'm absolutely gutted. Wanted to sleep on it before posting anything though.

Wembley was a shame, but yesterday hurt me more because it was a game that actually mattered. Did I expect us to win against the league's form side? Not necessarily. Did I expect us to try to play the way we have done all season? Yes. To play the way we did, like a group who'd never played together before, wasn't acceptable.

We got caught in a viscous cycle and couldn't get out of it. Lump the ball long and lose it to them. They then do the same and we get caught out because that was their game plan rather than ours. You can point the finger at the likes of Downing for playing those long aimless balls to Bradshaw if you like, but the options in front of our back four when we did have the ball were non-existent. I don't like the way certain keyboard warriors in Twitter dish out stick to individual players, but Sawyers is getting pelters because he played like he didn't want to be there. For his sake, I hope he's got his big Championship move sorted already, because I don't think he'll have many queuing up for his signature after that.

Looking through the rest of the team, I don't think effort, passion and other such emotion-led qualities were lacking. We simply weren't good enough. Both centre halves were responsible for a goal each, Demetriou had his worst game in a Walsall shirt, Henry was destroyed, and Forde was anonymous - that's three of our most consistent performers found completely wanting. He didn't help Henry out at all defensively, but I thought Lalkovic at least kept his chin up, kept plugging away, and probably carved out our two or three best chances.

I'll give Mantom credit where it's due too. They were sitting on their 3-0 by the time he came on, but he got on the ball, kept it in their half, made runs beyond the striker, and was the pick of the midfield for however long he was on for. Hindsight suggests he should have started, but who'd have changed the team after that 5-0 win at Vale?

Whitney seems to be getting a bit of stick for his tactics on Twitter and I'm not sure which side of the fence I should be on. Without the benefit of hindsight, who would have genuinely picked a more defensive/balanced side after that Vale performance? That said, it's those decisions that managers rather than fans are paid to make and the result suggests Whitney got it wrong.

There are a couple of things I'll defend Whitney for though:
- Taking Bradshaw off might have looked negative, but it just wasn't working at the time. I think Whitney just felt he needed to shuffle the pack in a desperate effort to get us back in the game and Hiwula offers something different. Bradshaw (and his mum) might not have been happy, but I think you have to give the manager the benefit of the doubt there.
- Taylor was lined up to come on because Rico looked like he was really struggling and had signalled to the bench. The u-turn happened as Rico suddenly said he was fine just as he was about to be taken off. So it wasn't the managerial indecisiveness some made it out to be.

It's a difficult one. Our last two performances against sides in the top six suggest Whitney struggles to get it right in big games, but the players have to take responsibility at times. I think yesterday was more a case of the players not turning up than the manager getting it wrong.

There isn't a lot any of the players should be given a pat on the back for, but fair play to James O'Connor and the way he came over to the fans at the end. That, to me, was the sort of taking of responsibility - and frankly, balls - some of his team mates could do with adopting themselves. We might not go through, but there's a few who need to use Thursday as a chance to redeem themselves.

Great post mate and summed up perfect, the players have to take blame as naive as JW may of been it's not all down to him.

And Ye respect to JOC for coming over to the fans, love that bloke!

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun May 15, 2016 9:51 am

Gutted but best team won Barnsley wanted it more than us outplayed and out thought us.

To me this was wembley part 2 big occassion and to many players froze or played way below normal.

I am big Sawyers fan but he was non exsistent in this game looked like he had already left club, got his deal so why bother would definetly leave out on thursday and play jordy up front with tom.I never thought I would ever suggest dropping Sawyers but he was that poor.

Henry was given run around all game no 34 beat him every time but had no help in front of him.

Could not understand subbing tom when we needed a goal to give us a chance,Jordi on yes but with Tom not replace him.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun May 15, 2016 10:19 am

The more I think about yesterday's performance the more I think that the team NEED to put it right on Thursday

I appreciate we aren't the biggest club around and our fan base is fairly small in comparison to many others and over the years we have had to endure more lean times than successes (generally) but for gods sake we are loyal and the support the team has received this season has been worthy of better than the crap served up yesterday..

Until they got their 2nd goal, we were making most of the noise in that stadium and I believe this came across clearly on TV so the club can't have any doubts about our passion...

Back to the team - how a group of players can perform so dramatically differently a week apart is hard to explain... OK let's be fair, Barnsley are a significantly better side than PV and had a massive opportunity (as we had) to make a big stride towards the final but those players need to stand up and be counted - they owe us after yesterday so in advance of Thursday, I'd suggest Mr Whitney spells it out to them (in fact he should do it all week in advance if the game..)

On the subject if those who appear not interested - simply leave them out (we know who I'm predominantly talking about don't we?) if he's on his way well so be it - in fact if Whitney can't see the passion and drive in any of them then frankly they are better off without them..

Interesting that Jason and Rico also both had torrid times yesterday - wonder if they are both on their merry way too!!!

One other point - the loan system is there to be used (and abused by some if we're honest) yet we seem reticent to utilise it and rely almost entirely on our existing squad and youth policy - as much as this is to be admired (and it is in the press and the wider football community) it holds us back from bringing in quality to areas where we really need it.. I'm not for a minute suggesting we go 'wholesale' into the loan market every season like Cov, Barnsley etc obviously do but adding one every now and then on a month by month basis isn't productive if they get recalled as to our detriment, was the case with Evans and Pennington this season... Season long loans are as good as short term signings in many respects so why the reticence to work this system better?????

Rant over - UTS

Walsall Wise

Sun May 15, 2016 10:32 am

For me on Thursday this how we should line up:
3-4-3
GK- Etheridge

CB- Downing
CB- O'Connor
CB- Taylor/Preston

RWB- Demetriou
CM- Chambers
CM- Mantom/Osbourne
LWB- Henry

RF- Morris
ST- Bradshaw
LF- Lalkovic/Hiwula

Just fudgin go for it. We have nothing to lose now, let's get behind the lads and finish this season on a high!
P.s Sawyers doesn't deserve to wear the shirt, too many times this season he's been non-existent in the games where we need our 'main man' to step up. The sooner he fudges off to the Brentford the better. (That's if smith still wants him)

chadsmoor saddler

Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 am

Just watching the game back (through slightly more sober eyes than yesterday) and I can't believe how sawyers is just strolling around just not wanting to be there, Rico also didn't look his usual self aswel, I think Whitney needs to play both the vale game and yesterday's game to the lads and just ask them what went wrong. Ok Barnsley are far superior to vale but we still had the same 11 men on the pitch.

If Fordes free kick would of went in it would of been a totally different game, we did have chances we just didn't get the bit of luck needed.

Got to admit it is now a massive ask at home Thursday, but this is Walsall, when have we ever done things the easy way?

Once again our fans were amazing even at 3 down we was still making a racket, nice to see bax, o donell and butler in with the Walsall fans, had a quick chat with Butler and he was gutted donny couldn't pull something out the bag against burton. Such a genuine bloke.

Onwards to Thursday, I do believe we will beat by Barnsley, but whether by enough goals is another matter.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 10:51 am

It might be a small consolation, but with the pressure off they might put in a decent performance on Thursday. After all it's doubtful we would have won 5-0 at Port Vale if we only needed a win to go up automatically (irrespective of what Burton did).

I'd play the same side myself as we have absolutely nothing to lose and all of those players, irrespective of where they will be playing next season, will want to end this one better than they did on Saturday.

The only changes to consider would be Preston for Downing and Mantom for Morris, but I'd be strongly tempted to keep the same line up.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Sun May 15, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 am

One other point - the loan system is there to be used (and abused by some if we're honest) yet we seem reticent to utilise it and rely almost entirely on our existing squad and youth policy - as much as this is to be admired (and it is in the press and the wider football community) it holds us back from bringing in quality to areas where we really need it.. I'm not for a minute suggesting we go 'wholesale' into the loan market every season like Cov, Barnsley etc obviously do but adding one every now and then on a month by month basis isn't productive if they get recalled as to our detriment, was the case with Evans and Pennington this season... Season long loans are as good as short term signings in many respects so why the reticence to work this system better?????

Hear bloody hear. If Bradshaw and Henry go this summer those two will bring in significant transfer fees. That should be enough to make the club more competitive in the loan market and it needs to used much more if the club are to get over the line.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sun May 15, 2016 10:58 am

Sawyers' performance yesterday just makes me even more certain that I ain't bothered if he leaves in the summer - let Brentford have him : he won't last long in the Championship. Forde is another one who can't cut it when the chips are down. We need to bring in 3 "bruiser"-types in the summer: a big centre-half who won't be bullied, a central midfielder who can run through brick walls (perhaps Osborne can do this role) and a cente-forward with some presence to support Bradshaw or whoever we have upfront. It's alright having lots of flair players but if you are continually out-muscled by better teams, and not allowed to play your passing game and have to end up booting it long, then it's a waste of time. Anyway, here's to Thursday and a miracle.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun May 15, 2016 11:34 am

Yesterday was a bitter disappointment but we should try to keep our heads.

Walsall earned 84 points this season, 10 more than Barnsley and were very close to automatic promotion. We do not have a bad team. Our team is not full of players who are not good enough to challenge for promotion from this division. Since Whitney was appointed acting boss the team has taken 25 points from 12 matches. That does not show to me that the management team is incompetent.

What we saw yesterday was a poor performance. Some players had bad days, and the team lost shape. It happens. It hurts like hell, but we should not allow our feelings to cause us to lose all sense of proportion.

Three weeks ago we went to Bradford and saw an even worse performance than yesterday, losing 4 nil. Whitney made key changes, dropping Taylor to put Henry back at full back, dropping Mantom to play Morris in midfield, and we then had three excellent wins which took us the very brink of automatic promotion.

BESCOTIAN

Sun May 15, 2016 11:57 am

Harry wrote:Yesterday was a bitter disappointment but we should try to keep our heads.

Walsall earned 84 points this season, 10 more than Barnsley and were very close to automatic promotion. We do not have a bad team. Our team is not full of players who are not good enough to challenge for promotion from this division. Since Whitney was appointed acting boss the team has taken 25 points from 12 matches. That does not show to me that the management team is incompetent.

What we saw yesterday was a poor performance. Some players had bad days, and the team lost shape. It happens. It hurts like hell, but we should not allow our feelings to cause us to lose all sense of proportion.

Three weeks ago we went to Bradford and saw an even worse performance than yesterday, losing 4 nil. Whitney made key changes, dropping Taylor to put Henry back at full back, dropping Mantom to play Morris in midfield, and we then had three excellent wins which took us the very brink of automatic promotion.

Excellent post calm and considered.
Frankly it hurt us all I also think it hurt the players to hence the tardy reaction when they left the pitch.

Thursday let's play for pride

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 pm

I never expected us to get past Barnsley - missing out on automatic promotion by 1 point after a long, long season would be absolutely gutting for those players, do not underestimate that and the effect that will have had in the days after Port Vale.

It's hard to pick yourselves up and go again knowing how close you've come.

I didn't see the game yesterday, I was playing cricket, so I can't really comment on the game, I'm certainly not going to watch it back. (I did record it).

Hearing of a poor performance from Sawyers doesn't surprise me - I've been saying since January that his heart wasn't in it. He's still putting in reasonable performances, but when he came to the crunch in a lot of games, he went missing.

At times, it's been a pleasure watching Sawyers, he's been a big part of creating the style of play that we have now, but strangely, I think we will actually benefit from him leaving - he's our biggest strength and our biggest weakness.

PROS: On his day, he's unplayable, he can pick a pass or score a goal that no other player in this league could.

CONS: He's a shirker, big games, big challenges, winning headers - all weak points of his game. Also, I've said a few time he's got a chip on his shoulder - believes his own hype and has clearly been sulking because a few people booed him. Of course you shouldn't boo your own players, but on the flipside, Sawyers is not infallable.

As for Whitney - I dont think we should make him permanent manager - he's a great bloke to have around the club, and making him manager will risk us having to sack him at one point.

Furthermore, going in to yesterdays game with the same team was a mistake, we should have tried to go and stifle Barnsley and keep any defeat down to 1 or 2.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 4:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I never expected us to get past Barnsley - missing out on automatic promotion by 1 point after a long, long season would be absolutely gutting for those players, do not underestimate that and the effect that will have had in the days after Port Vale.

It's hard to pick yourselves up and go again knowing how close you've come.

Phil, didn't Preston do precisely that last season?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Most frustrating thing for me is that most of these players who bottled it will get offers from the Championship and move whilst even though they failed us, we will be left behind and revert to lower midtable Walsall.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Most frustrating thing for me is that most of these players who bottled it will get offers from the Championship and move whilst even though they failed us, we will be left behind and revert to lower midtable Walsall.

These players who "failed us" have taken us to third in the table, one point away from automatic promotion.

If without them we will "revert to lower midtable", presumably you think that it is Sawyers, Bradshaw, Henry, Demetriou etc who have enabled us to have such a great season. If that is what you think then I agree with you, but don't understand why you think that they have "failed us".

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Harry wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:Most frustrating thing for me is that most of these players who bottled it will get offers from the Championship and move whilst even though they failed us, we will be left behind and revert to lower midtable Walsall.

These players who "failed us" have taken us to third in the table, one point away from automatic promotion.

If without them we will "revert to lower midtable", presumably you think that it is Sawyers, Bradshaw, Henry, Demetriou etc who have enabled us to have such a great season. If that is what you think then I agree with you, but don't understand why you think that they have "failed us".

Hmm, I agree with you, failed is the wrong expression and I apologise.

Would let us down be better?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 5:37 pm

My twopenneth.

I have read some rational, sensible comments and some complete shite on this thread, some of which is probably from the heart rather than from the head. It was, however, a very disapointing result and performance, it has to be said.

We were beaten by a better side on the day who, clearly had done their homework on us, but more importantly are the best side on form in this division. Add to tht our recent away form which has been pretty piss poor over recent weeks.

We were massively flattered last Sunday at Port Vale where we were given time and space to play exhibition football and get our shots away. just look at Mantom's goal, he had all day. Yesterday they were all over us like a rash, a tactic that has found us out before.

Some of the criticism, however, is way over the top, particularly about players not being bothered. Sometimes you are just second best. Why would players not be arsed in a play off semi final with the prize of a trip to Wembley and no doubt a serious bonus for promotion?

Looking forward to what coud be a miracle on Thursday, but if not, I'm looking forward to showing my appreciation for what has been a fantastic season.

UTS.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 6:19 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
Harry wrote:

Hmm, I agree with you, failed is the wrong expression and I apologise.

Would let us down be better?

Yes they didn't play to their potential I think that's fair to say for whatever reason.

Compare their performances to the Barnsley front four of Winnall, Ash Fletcher, Isgrove and Hammill....

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun May 15, 2016 7:45 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Hearing of a poor performance from Sawyers doesn't surprise me - I've been saying since January that his heart wasn't in it. He's still putting in reasonable performances, but when he came to the crunch in a lot of games, he went missing.

At times, it's been a pleasure watching Sawyers, he's been a big part of creating the style of play that we have now, but strangely, I think we will actually benefit from him leaving - he's our biggest strength and our biggest weakness.

PROS: On his day, he's unplayable, he can pick a pass or score a goal that no other player in this league could.

CONS: He's a shirker, big games, big challenges, winning headers - all weak points of his game. Also, I've said a few time he's got a chip on his shoulder - believes his own hype and has clearly been sulking because a few people booed him. Of course you shouldn't boo your own players, but on the flipside, Sawyers is not infallible.

A very fair summation, Phil - but prepare yourself to receive the wrath of Scott Powell and a few others, in whose eyes Sawyers can do no wrong! :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 8:48 pm

chestersaddler wrote:My twopenneth.

I have read some rational, sensible comments and some complete shite on this thread, some of which is probably from the heart rather than from the head. It was, however, a very disapointing result and performance, it has to be said.

We were beaten by a better side on the day who, clearly had done their homework on us, but more importantly are the best side on form in this division. Add to tht our recent away form which has been pretty piss poor over recent weeks.

We were massively flattered last Sunday at Port Vale where we were given time and space to play exhibition football and get our shots away. just look at Mantom's goal, he had all day. Yesterday they were all over us like a rash, a tactic that has found us out before.

Some of the criticism, however, is way over the top, particularly about players not being bothered. Sometimes you are just second best. Why would players not be arsed in a play off semi final with the prize of a trip to Wembley and no doubt a serious bonus for promotion?

Looking forward to what coud be a miracle on Thursday, but if not, I'm looking forward to showing my appreciation for what has been a fantastic season.

UTS.

Good post Chester.
The PV goals both amazed and worried me.
They were special goals ie the sort you don't get every week and can't repeat.

Against Barnsley I thought we still tried to play decent football (in a restricted manner) almost to the end but the last few minutes the play went to pieces as players realised their seasons work might be for nothing.
If Barnsley Loan Rangers play like that on Thursday we're gone but maybe that was their Wembley and they can't repeat it in which case we might stand a chance.

No-one has mentioned the ref.
I thought he did ok but he did let Bradshaw get repeatedly hammered by their goons.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Whitters wrote:No-one has mentioned the ref.
I thought he did ok but he did let Bradshaw get repeatedly hammered by their goons.

I thought the ref had a poor first half too, but by the third time a Bradshaw assault didn't result in a free kick, we should have tried to play the ball on the grass.

One time faithful

Sun May 15, 2016 11:47 pm

I think some of the assessments of Saturday are slightly over the top I don't think parts of the match we were bad, I just don't think we showed the desire and conviction to score. The players lost their heads for 10 minutes when it all went to pot. Since bradford when he was atrocious I feel downing has been good. In the first half Saturday he made several superb challenges although he was doing that annoying ball to no one again. I don't know why Morris comes off every week he was atleast going at them trying to break through.
Personally I'd play the same team Thursday. Maybe dare I say it play mantom in midfield and give Morris sawyers free role as I think he could hurt teams with his directness more than sawyers tic tac. I'm not slagging sawyers I think he is arguably one of the most naturally gifted footballers in the division but not eve the top premiership players play every single game no matter what you become predictable.

Anyway it was a good season on the whole

Micky Finn

Mon May 16, 2016 7:33 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

I thought the ref had a poor first half too, but by the third time a Bradshaw assault didn't result in a free kick, we should have tried to play the ball on the grass.

Hi -me again. Genuinely curious about this. Consensus in the home stands - even from the more rational types - was that Bradshaw got away with absolute murder every single time the long ball came in. We all see the subtle nudge from both defenders & strikers in football just as their opponent is about to jump for a ball, or using body strength to throw them off balance, but there was nothing subtle from your boy. Every single time, often using both hands, pushed our centre-back just as he was about to jump. Took the word 'blatant' to new & exciting heights, but the ref just didn't seem interested. I'm all for refs letting the game flow and allowing good, hard tackles, but not sure what amazed me more - Bradshaw's tactics, or the ref letting it go. Still, just underlines how differently two sets of fans can interpret a game!!

Oh, and I can't let the 'goons' bit go. Seriously?? Sorry to disappoint, but that's not how Mawson & Roberts play the game.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon May 16, 2016 7:39 am

It was just very similar to other games we haven't turned up. Bradshaw had what was a pretty simple chance by his standards, any decent contact and it was in. From that moment on, I never felt we were going to get a result. Their first goal was more than a little lucky, although they could easily have been winning by 1 or more at that time.

Very few players came out with any real credit. The one player that looked most likely to make anything happen was Morris, and he dragged him off, ridiculous decision. He then dragged Bradshaw off too, okay he wasn't great, but you know, he is the most likely player to stick the ball in the net.

We got what we deserved, were well beaten by a much better team on the night.

Also, when I read posts on here, everyone feels the need to explain themselves why they are criticising Sawyers. No need, we all know what he is capable of, that makes him more of a culprit in my opinion. He was very poor, and looked like he would rather be any where else. This is the problem when the team plays everything through one man. I'd have taken him off, and left Morris on personally, far more likely to have scored or assisted a goal.

I'm not clinging on to any kind of positivity, barring an absolute collapse from Barnsley, it's over. I don't see it, they are to strong in all areas to mess this one up. Disappointing end to the season, but this is Walsall after all. Quite positive about next season and the future though. Stop worrying about players that don't want to play for us, and move forward.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon May 16, 2016 8:00 am

Micky Finn wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Hi -me again. Genuinely curious about this. Consensus in the home stands - even from the more rational types - was that Bradshaw got away with absolute murder every single time the long ball came in. We all see the subtle nudge from both defenders & strikers in football just as their opponent is about to jump for a ball, or using body strength to throw them off balance, but there was nothing subtle from your boy. Every single time, often using both hands, pushed our centre-back just as he was about to jump. Took the word 'blatant' to new & exciting heights, but the ref just didn't seem interested. I'm all for refs letting the game flow and allowing good, hard tackles, but not sure what amazed me more - Bradshaw's tactics, or the ref letting it go. Still, just underlines how differently two sets of fans can interpret a game!!

Oh, and I can't let the 'goons' bit go. Seriously?? Sorry to disappoint, but that's not how Mawson & Roberts play the game.

Nobody's said Bradshaw didn't try and hold his own - he gave away a couple of fouls I for one had no complaints about. My issue is, those came AFTER he'd been repeatedly manhandled by two centre halves. If the ref opens both eyes, he gives the odd one of those at least.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season