Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (A) Play-off Semi 1st leg, Sat 14th May 5.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
m&m
Glitterati

Re: Barnsley (A) Play-off Semi 1st leg, Sat 14th May 5.30pm

Sat May 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Outplayed outfought out thought.
Deserved nothing.

UTS Legend

Sat May 14, 2016 6:40 pm

Well, it's goodnight from HK (2.40am) and it's goodnight from Walsall.

A 4-0 or 5-1 home win? I don't believe.

Pooliekev

Sat May 14, 2016 6:45 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Good luck to the lads today.

I'll be there in spirit - literally, I'll be in the pub.

UTS!!!

Where you at you old perv? We are in the process of buying a place in Pattaya. Up on Buddha Mountain.

Bad luck today by the way. :?

Oxsall

Sat May 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Be "interesting" to hear from those who were there today.

But from the "watching at the pub" perspective, what a depressing end to the season and what has been a good and exciting team.

Barnsley came at us with energy, height, strength, and pace and we couldn't handle it. Well done Barnsley.

Such as shame for us to put in a performance like that today. But that's football and the playoffs.

Yes, there is the 2nd leg, but based on today Barnsley know how to exploit our weaknesses and we don't have clue how to beat them. For the 2nd leg, anything is possible. But progression to Wembley is very very very unlikely...

Downing was really exposed by strength and pace today. Both he and O'Connor barely won a contested header all afternoon. They couldn't handle Fletcher, like Hanson for Bradford. Rico was painfully exposed at full back defensively, in particular by Isgrove, and didn't offer a lot going forward. For those who haven't seen the replay, for the first goal ruled out for offside, Isgrove was several feet onside.

Bradshaw was really isolated up front. We kept hitting the ball long to him when he was surrounded by three or four Barnsley defenders. I have no idea why Jordi came on as a straight swap for Bradshaw. It was also also painfully obvious that we needed to make a change earlier in the game when we were 1-0 down but things were not going our way. Perhaps it's just best to say that Whitney had a bad day today just like the players.

I hope we can regroup and put in a respectable performance for the 2nd leg. No expectation of a "miracle". Only a performance that shows something of the excellent play the team has displayed this season so we can sign off with something better than today's showing. Then, on to next season. Some of the best players will go and we will rebuild. But hopefully we can retain some of what has been so encouraging about this season.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 7:15 pm

As Yogi Berra once said, "It's déjà vu all over again".

For me, tonights performance was so reminiscent of last years JPT final. We just didn't turn up, were easily dispossessed & lethargic.

Heckingbottom has really worked us out. Will need something really special on Thursday to turn this tie around.

SuperDon

Sat May 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Gutted. It is the same feeling i had after wembley.

But..having said that...it wouldnt surprise me if we turned it around. I am not saying its going to happen, but wouldnt surprise me.

saddlerbishoff

Sat May 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Highs and Lows. Port Vale game showed what we can be. Today showed the other side of things. Too nice, can't win balls in the air, don't win tackles in midfield and chances squandered.
OK two deflections but really,,,,,
As said before Downing is not a CB for this League. Not strong enough in the air and easily dominated. Any other CB would have floored Winnall on his way to the third goal not let him run past.
Tom Bradshaw looked dejected being brought off. No wonder almost every ball to him was up in the air and too high and with no other team player anywhere near. Shame about the chance that Milan made for him that he missed in the first half.
All Barnsley had to do was watch the Bradford City video and copy it. And they did. They played no football but won on strength and muscle and high balls.
Another game where Rico was targeted and looked vulnerable. Almost every attack was down their right hand side from the word Go and we didn't do anything about it to recognise the problem. JW should have done something about changing that.
One last word for Sawyers. Were you there?
Sawyers should be ashamed of that "performance". He has started to believe his own publicity material put out by his Agent. Shocking that he didn't even break sweat ambling around looking bored. We might as well have played with 10 men. There is more strength and desire and work rate in our cat. Just P off to Brentford where your head seems to be.
I wouldn't select him for the home leg.
It's not impossible but it nearly is.
UTS for the Second Leg.

UTS Legend

Sat May 14, 2016 8:13 pm

m&m
Glitterati

Sat May 14, 2016 8:17 pm

Rico was totally out of his depth today.
Forde and Lalcovich awful.
Sawyers non existent

What would Bradshaw be thinking sitting on the bench watching Cook up front when we desparately needed a goal to salvage something?
Insane Whitney!

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat May 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Don't normally post but after that spineless, gutless and quite frankly embarrassing performance I will give a brief view of it.

Positives: Etheridge made a couple of good saves.
Jim and Adam tried hard.
The fans
I had a drink in front of me to drown my sorrows.

Negatives: Everything else.

Never really been a Sawyers fan. He was superb Aug-November but since has been mainly poor. Today encapsulated everything I loathe of him. No desire, shirks out of tackles, walks rather than runs and the constant attempts at a flair pass i.e outside of the foot, chip etc. Can happily leave.

Rico, one of my favourite players equally deserves to take some slack. Terrible defensively and offensively.

I could say more like how we must get rid of Downing but another drink beckons...

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Out thought and out fought.
They ran threw our midfield.

1st substitution was a mistake.
Should have taken off Sawyers as Morris was capable of running at Barnsley whilst all Sawyers wanted to do was play threw them.

I thought Milan at least looked dangerous and capable of beating the right back. Forde was disappointing and the service to Bradshaw was poor.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat May 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Having missed the PV game (holiday) I was right up for this one - shame the team weren't!!

Poor performance lacking in passion which is one major component needed to get through the playoffs.. What on earth they were thinking I just don't know..

They had us sussed early doors and Rico was simply played out if the game for the most part... Milan looked like he wanted to do everything and it infuriated me the amount of times he spins around the ball to little or no effect...

Whitney must take some blame for this coz the bloody long ball up to a lone Bradshaw is 100% not what makes us tick - I'm livid we reverted to that idiotic strategy.. I'd like him to explain that...

A wasted opportunity in my opinion and the players better get their heads right for Thursday otherwise it will be an embarrassing end to what's been a great season...

It's somewhat strange that we've capitulated at three Yorkshire grounds this season - same at Bradford and The Blades.. Donny aside I don't think that trip up the A38 suits us!!!

No other way to win this tie other than a cack or bust go for goals strategy - anything else is tantamount to bottling it..

UTS

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat May 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Seems that we are going for the double -
Bottle job on the autos followed by a bottle job on the play-offs.

At least Milan had one of his more effective games tonight.
Forde, typically when the going gets tough, was missing in action.
Rico looked like a makeshift fullback - maybe SOD was right ....
Tom should have absolutely buried that chance ( really well created by Milan ).
Chambers was stupidly at fault for giving away the possession that led to their 1st goal one minute later.
Downing, as expected, was bullied out of the game.
Sawyers played like he was dreaming about his next club.
Mantom added less than zero.
Otherwise, a wonderful day out.

I need a drink after that.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Spineless bottlers.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat May 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Sorry but JW would not of told the team to go out and play long ball, long ball comes into play when you fail to win the first and second ball and don't work hard enough to creat space. So all Whitney critics have a night off!!

Rico got exposed because Milan was a lazy petulant little arse.

Bradshaw was chasing shadows because Romaine did bugger all!!!

Granted Barnsley had done their homework on Forde and didn't give him an inch, However as with the Bradford game having to centre backs who can't compete with a big target man has killed us! The guy wasn't even physical.

fans were the only positive.

PT
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 9:06 pm

Just back. Still gutted. Gutted.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat May 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Got to disagree with you here Mazza - our entire defensive line resorted to booting the ball up to the fwd attacking area in hope of something happening - at one stage even O'Connor did it about 3 times on the run without looking for alternative play options..

That's why I'm so frustrated with it...

I didn't want to get on the Sawyers bandwagon but I have to agree he seemed uninterested for long periods (again..)

I reckon they sussed out we weren't at the races today and simply took the game by the throat..

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat May 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Barnsley were much brighter than we were and never gave us much option but to hoof the ball long to Bradshaw. But, seeing that then surely it must have crossed Whitney's mind to stick two up front, especially as you are by-passing midfield.

In any case, when we did have the opportunity to move the ball around the back and through midfield it happened all to slow.

Saywers was cack.

Demetriou was unlucky for the first goal but did OK.

Two things left to say before I go-bed as they say in these parts:

Firstly, it might help if you try and think of this as being behind Barnsley in the league and needing to beat them by four clear goals to go up on goal difference. Does this help? Thought not.

Secondly, the beer was good in the Dove. We just left before the police arrived.

Big dep breath folks and then on to Thursday. Let's just hope that the transfer hopefuls use the opportunity as a shop window for their talents and we may stand a chance.

In the words of Edward R. Murrow: "Good night, and good luck".

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat May 14, 2016 9:17 pm

coop63 wrote:Got to disagree with you here Mazza - our entire defensive line resorted to booting the ball up to the fwd attacking area in hope of something happening - at one stage even O'Connor did it about 3 times on the run without looking for alternative play options..

That's why I'm so frustrated with it...

I didn't want to get on the Sawyers bandwagon but I have to agree he seemed uninterested for long periods (again..)

I reckon they sussed out we weren't at the races today and simply took the game by the throat..

We went long because we lost the midfield I.e space wasn't created. And yes Sawyers lack of work rate was also a big reason why this happened.

Des Lynam

Sat May 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Awful today, I can forgive them losing games, I can forgive losing 3-0 but I cannot stand the absolute lack of effort I saw and the inability to realise things weren't working by just hoofing it to Tom.

Not one player emerged with any credit.

On the plus side we found a nice boozer in the town and two fat northern birds have liked me on Tinder. Every little helps I guess.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 9:37 pm

The cack performance stemmed mainly from the barclays of the four attacking midfielders. The defenders were so exposed as those 4 offered nothing in terms of getting back with any urgency. The lack of cutting edge came from their cack efforts at supporting Tom or playing with any kind of tempo.

I don't dislike any of them but today they were awful and their bottle completely went. Morris has an excuse with his inexperience.

All I hope now is that we manage to get an early goal on Thurs. At least then a bit if interest comes back but I'm not too optimistic we will do that even.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat May 14, 2016 9:58 pm

I think emotion can get in the way of a realistic assessment of today's game. The truth is that Barnsley did a job on us and they were up for a physical battle, which too many of our players weren't.

In hindsight, playing Morris was a mistake and we would actually have been better with Mantom as an extra midfielder, but I don't particularly blame Morris for that. I hate to say it but if there is one individual you can point that finger at today, it would be Sawyers. He's a classy player, but he recognised that Barnsley were going to have two men on him quickly every time he got the ball and, instead of using that as a way to create space for others, he drifted out of the game for long periods.

I don't think the centre backs were that bad, although they lost everything in the air, but the constant pressure from seeing the ball returned from up front was always going to tell.

As dominant as Barnsley were, it was also just one of those days - first goal a deflection from a shot going wide, second goal a deflection from a shot going who knows where. On another day, those don't go in and Bradshaw sticks his chance away....different match.

As for individual criticisms;

Henry - if we had cover from Lalkovic in the same way that Demetriou has cover from Forde, he wouldn't be so exposed. He didn't have a great game, but he wasn't as bad as some would have you believe.
Mantom - yes he missed that chance but he got in a position to miss it.Name me one other player who made such a positive run into the box today! He has his faults and I suspect fitness has caught up with him after almost a whole season out last year, but he offers plenty and it's a shame some have decided he can do no right.

Is there any hope? Probably not, but get an early goal and Shrewsbury and Fleetwood will tell you that we're capable of getting more. It may be a long trek to get there, but I'll be at Walsall on Thursday supporting, encouraging and hoping.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Well what can you say about that? Such a shame after the effort the team had put in for majority of 50 + games this season we get a performance like that when it really matters. I've said before while the team has some of the most talented players in the division I don't believe the collective mentality of the club is good enough when it really comes to the crunch. It wasn't good enough to win the JPT, it wasn't good enough to get 2nd ahead of a limited Burton and it wasn't good enough today.

Barnsley played that game to perfection. It was very similar to Sheffield away. Barnsley kept a solid shape and were first to the second balls. They also did well getting their front 4 regularly involved on 40% possesion.

I said Barnsley had two very good strikers upfront and big fan of Hourihane aswell in CM but didn't realise how good their wide players were aswell especially Isgrove who kept on asking questions of Henry and eventually got his reward.

As much as it's easy to criticise Whitney, I too would've gone with the ultra attacking formation. The trouble is when you play teams who are a bit better than the dog and duck and who have good players themselves in midfield and upfront, that's when gaps appear.

Where Whitney should'v reacted was making changes at half time.

The tie is over. No chance Barnsley won't score at some point on Thursday. Only reall decent performance today was from Milan who I've criticised recently but he set up the best chances against Scowen who was the only weak link in the Barnsley team. Would expect them to change their RB for Thursday.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 9:59 pm

Just got back and although we didn't play particularly well, I don't think Barnsley were exceptional. They were better than us on the day and they took their chances and we clearly did not.
It looked to me that their first goal wouldn't have gone in had it not been for the deflection off Demetriou and it seemed that the second goal too benefited from a deflection. Couldn't quite see how Winnall got through for the third, whether it was good play or poor defending, but he took it well in the end.
We created some equally good chances, but either didn't get the benefit of a deflection, or unforgivably failed to hit the target.
Games are sometimes won on small margins even when one team is deemed to have played poorly.
We will clearly need a bit of fortune to go our way in the second leg and for a high percentages of our shots to hit the back of the net as at Vale.
There is still a minimum of 90 minutes to go in this tie and on our day we are capable of doing to them what they did to us today, especially with a sprinkling of good fortune.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Just come back from a bar after watching it in Los cris in tenerife with a few Barnsley fans and they were more than gracious. Good luck to them because we were awful I have never been so embarrassed :oops:it just looked like a team that was ready to say goodbye to each other :|

coop63
Glitterati

Sat May 14, 2016 10:10 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Just got back and although we didn't play particularly well, I don't think Barnsley were exceptional. They were better than us on the day and they took their chances and we clearly did not.
It looked to me that their first goal wouldn't have gone in had it not been for the deflection off Demetriou and it seemed that the second goal too benefited from a deflection. Couldn't quite see how Winnall got through for the third, whether it was good play or poor defending, but he took it well in the end.
We created some equally good chances, but either didn't get the benefit of a deflection, or unforgivably failed to hit the target.
Games are sometimes won on small margins even when one team is deemed to have played poorly.
We will clearly need a bit of fortune to go our way in the second leg and for a high percentages of our shots to hit the back of the net as at Vale.
There is still a minimum of 90 minutes to go in this tie and on our day we are capable of doing to them what they did to us today, especially with a sprinkling of good fortune.

I've calmed down a bit now and probably agree with much of your post BS but I would say that in my experience a bit of good fortune (luck if you want) is usually a product of a bit of endeavour and hard work (albeit there are exceptions..) If we dont come out of the traps like a dog after a bone on Thursday we simply won't have earned the right to any good fortune

Im sure we all know that games swing on fine margins and decisions but let's be fair, we were taken to the cleaners today and frankly their disallowed goal was clearly on side so it could have been worse in all fairness...

I want to see all out guts and determination from the whistle on Thursday - I think the fans deserve nothing less.. Without doubt we were the only positive from today..

UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 10:20 pm

O.k reading a few more reviews....

Didn't think Downing was that bad but he seems an annual scapegoat on here so no surprise when things go wrong. Thought O'Connor was more dodgy personally, he dosen't like playing at Oakwell it seems. What I would say though is when you're potentially losing so many attacking players it's important to keep as much as the back 4 as possible to provide the solid base.

Surprised Lakovic is getting stick, thought he was far and away the best attacking player. Set up the Bradshaw chance with a great run and he took Scowen to the cleaners on a few other occasions, that's the one area of weakness for Barnsley seemingly and needs to be relentlessly targeted from first minute on Thursday.

Didn't understand Bradshaw change either unless he was starting to feel a tight hamstring and so wanted to keep him fresh for Thursday.

Sawyers. While he's been excellent at times for this club, does he really influence enough big games when it really matters? I would have to say not.

Oh and the crowd.....Excellent vocal support especially towards the end. I think most were shell shocked at how quickly it got to 3-0 so went a bit quiet for 10 minutes but respect for the rousing chants near the end, shows the fans appreciate it's still been a good season and the players efforts.

Why however were there so many fans standing in the aisles today. A bit of fault for getting in very late due to missing a train so only got in 5 minutes before kick off so tried to get up to my seat halfway up the stand but it was near impossible due to being blocked by so many fans, don't they all have tickets and seats where they should be sitting or have I missed something.

Luckily there were a few free seats by the disabled section that the stewards told us to sit in but bit disappointed by that, it would've got quite dangerous I think up there if a Walsall goal had gone in.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat May 14, 2016 10:35 pm

To bottle it at Wembley was bad enough but the same bunch of fairies went and bottled it again

Whatever we can get for any of them take it now and don't let a single one wear the badge on Thursday play the kids and make them all sit in the stands

And Whitney you haven't got a clue please stick to your bucket and sponge you are so out of your depth other managers are taking the Mickey

To the Walsall fans who queued for tickets and clapped them off they don't deserve you you are top class supporters

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat May 14, 2016 10:59 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:O.k reading a few more reviews....

Didn't think Downing was that bad but he seems an annual scapegoat on here so no surprise when things go wrong. Thought O'Connor was more dodgy personally

This, albeit the barclays midfield was the main factor for me.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Sun May 15, 2016 1:29 am

Talk is cheap.

If that was me I'd be embarrassed.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season