Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Darth Vader
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Mon May 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Could be a fudge that goal, good performance anyway

Let's all get there next Sunday make some noise and see what happens uts

UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 1:20 pm

Here in HK, I thought their goal was offside.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Mon May 02, 2016 1:22 pm

At Bradford I thought no way automatic & very little chance in the play-offs. If we do end up in the play-offs & we play like that then we can beat anyone!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 1:25 pm

I did aswell, Ball certainly blocked Etheridge's vision but no one really appealed.

Tremendous performance though. I think the biggest frustration for me is seeing the way they've started the last two home games and thought.....where has this been all year?! Look what happens, 6 comfortable points and no stodgy draws. If only.

Don't think the goal will matter, still a long shot expecting Burton to lose.

Demetriou was brilliant wasn't he? Most of the others were pretty good, Milan wasn't too great so he's most likely to drop out for Mantom's return for the play offs you'd think.

PT
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Very good performance. Shame about their goal.

Still massively in Burton's hands but wouldn't you hate to not bother going to Vale and then miss out on what could be one of the best ever games to be at in Walsall's history? If we don't sell it out now it will be more than a tad disappointing.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Good crowd and atmos today, 6628 with just 204 from Fleetwood. Thought we got nervy towards the end and it transferred to the players. Good noise all around the F2Go and what a first half performance, best in years never mind best the season.

This will be divisive; but for me the end of season pitch invasion is another fun, silly aspect of the game that has been ruined. It breaks my heart to see so many enjoyable aspects being ripped apart. People booing those kids on the pitch - what has happened to the game....sit in your seat in silence discussing the game with a prawn sandwich in hand - pathetic.

Back to the positivity and onto Vale we go....

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Great win but deflated with the goal conceded.
Anyway we're still in it.
Will be there at Vale.

PS. Blame the FA for the pitch invasion being culled. The club is only trying to stop themselves getting a fine.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 1:45 pm

Very good performance today and no completely no point moping over conceding that goal. If something special happens then so be it if not at least we have picked up some form.

Only one complaint, bloody Etheridge!! He gives the team and the crowd the jitters..

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 1:47 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Good crowd and atmos today, 6628 with just 204 from Fleetwood. Thought we got nervy towards the end and it transferred to the players. Good noise all around the F2Go and what a first half performance, best in years never mind best the season.

This will be divisive; but for me the end of season pitch invasion is another fun, silly aspect of the game that has been ruined. It breaks my heart to see so many enjoyable aspects being ripped apart. People booing those kids on the pitch - what has happened to the game....sit in your seat in silence discussing the game with a prawn sandwich in hand - pathetic.

Back to the positivity and onto Vale we go....

It's a bit premature surely, there's likely to be one more home game left this season....

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 pm

Fleetwood couldn't live with us for most of the game and it wasn't until we slowed the tempo down and stopped pressurising them, that they came into it.
In the end we weren't ruthless enough and conceding that goal has made our half of the equation more difficult than it needed to be.
Another good performance from Forde.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon May 02, 2016 2:26 pm

Commanding performance with the inevitable self-destruct button being continually pressed for the last 15 minutes.
I would retain Morris in the starting line-up. At least he adds something offensively -
Mantom is currently struggling to add anything at all.
Still believing a teensy little bit.

And can someone stop putting whatever it is they are putting in Etheridge's half-time cuppa.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Well done the team...the first 30 minutes were the best of the season and after that we were comfortable except for a rather nervy 10 minutes at the end.
Whatever happens on Sunday I would like to congratulate everyone for a great season. As Mourinho said some of our football is way above division 1 level and despite all the many moaners I am pleased to be a saddler. Incidentally if we fail to go up automatically don't write us off ..all it will need in the games is a spell like the early play today and not one of those sides will live with us.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Mon May 02, 2016 2:43 pm

The first 30 minutes Fleetwood couldn't cope with us.

Massive ask next week but I'd take any win at all taking good form into the play offs.

Who ever we play it's a massive task but they all will be thinking the same about us. Bradford surely know it wasn't the walsall they played earlier in the season and I'd fully expect us to be much better should it be Bradford we play

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Very good performance.

The fans getting on the players backs at 3-1 ... Do us all a favour and fudge off.

Onto next week! I believe

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Need a point to claim 3rd.

That should be good enough to avoid Bradford in the semis you'd imagine.

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Mon May 02, 2016 2:57 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Need a point to claim 3rd.

That should be good enough to avoid Bradford in the semis you'd imagine.

No need to imagine - it would be.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 3:22 pm

bloody hell that was like watching 2 different walsall teams. the first 30 mins i thought it was the best i have seen all season, so positive and attacking. Then the last 10-15 mins i thought we contrived to beat ourselves. As much as i like Etheridge's ability as a shot stopper, his kicking and piddling about with the ball at his feet is heart attack material :|. i thought we had switched off for their goal, and in fact they could have scored another. oh well the points are in the bag and 2 goals in the plus column. i will be round the pool listening to the game on my i pad next week. so onward to vale and as long as we win the pressure will be on burton :wink:

UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Offside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS2YzhYx9Wc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

(For a short time only? The video has already been blocked in Hong Kong.)

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Guest wrote:Offside.

blocked here as well

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Brilliant first 25 minutes, Morris for Mantom in central midfield gives us a hell of a lot more drive, directness and space for other players to do their stuff. Only thing is when do we use him - looks like a hour at full wack and then you've got to change it. Start, or on the bench?

Gutted about the goal - not sure what Whitney was doing with the substitutions - all shape went in the last 20 minutes or so.

Still, we've still got an extremely outside shot on Sunday - maybe 10-15/1 against I reckon.

Anyone any clues on whether our club might deign to put on a few coaches this Sunday for very part-time away supporters like me?

RJMIner

Mon May 02, 2016 3:49 pm

After all the criticism of Paul Downing has he now turned into the new Franco Baresi?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 3:58 pm

boringteacher wrote:Brilliant first 25 minutes, Morris for Mantom in central midfield gives us a hell of a lot more drive, directness and space for other players to do their stuff. Only thing is when do we use him - looks like a hour at full wack and then you've got to change it. Start, or on the bench?

Gutted about the goal - not sure what Whitney was doing with the substitutions - all shape went in the last 20 minutes or so.

Still, we've still got an extremely outside shot on Sunday - maybe 10-15/1 against I reckon.

Anyone any clues on whether our club might deign to put on a few coaches this Sunday for very part-time away supporters like me?

Free coaches?? Having a laugh intya that would mean spending money.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Very impressive first 30 mins. Last 15 mins got sloppy and it could have easily ended up 3-2 if that lob went in.

We still have a chance though which is the main thing to get out of today. An early goal at Vale and nerves could show in the Burton squad after the news filters through.

At least we know we won't be playing Millwall in the playoff semis if that's where we end up.
Last edited by Pheasey_Saddler on Mon May 02, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Brilliant first 25 minutes, Morris for Mantom in central midfield gives us a hell of a lot more drive, directness and space for other players to do their stuff. Only thing is when do we use him - looks like a hour at full wack and then you've got to change it. Start, or on the bench?

In my wildest dreams, I'd never expect something for nothing from Boner - just thought it might be nice for the club to get off their arse for a change and try to organise some. Supporters club is fine, but if you have to drive a long way to hand over notes in that Baggie Den, it aint very user friendly.

SWS1

Mon May 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Awesome first half - we deserved at least one more goal but, hey! that's asking a lot. 8)
Their goal was a bummer: if he hadn't been unsighted, I'm sure our star goalie would have had it. :D
Theoretically, it should have been ruled out for offside :evil: ("interfering with play" by blocking the goalie).
Moreover, we really should have put away one or two more of the chances that came our way - Tom was particularly unlucky with his flick and his glancing header, both kept out by an excellent goalkeeper. :(
Still, an awesome performance :D : we can beat anyone on our day - yeah, including Bratford!! 8)
Gerrin, lads!!
:D :D :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Mazza01 wrote:

An excellent game to really ask for our backing. Doubt anything will happen from the club but if they're listening it'd be a great idea to help sell out that away end.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Also hard to believe Morris has not been involved in more games, what a quality player this lad is.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Also hard to believe Morris has not been involved in more games, what a quality player this lad is.

I think he'll be a big player next season and be a week in week out starter.

I've always just thought he was a wide player but yes interesting he looked pretty comfortable inside today and seemingly against Sloppies.

Has goals in him aswell, could manage more than Sawyers over a full season.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Guest wrote:Here in HK, I thought their goal was offside.

I was on the half way line and I couldn't see.

UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 4:43 pm

chunkster wrote:
Guest wrote:Offside.

blocked here as well

For UK viewers only.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10266982/walsall-3-1-fleetwood

Or you could try VPN if you have the misfortune to live overseas.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season