Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Fish
UTS Veteran

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Mon May 02, 2016 4:45 pm

SWS1 wrote:Awesome first half - we deserved at least one more goal but, hey! that's asking a lot. 8)
Their goal was a bummer: if he hadn't been unsighted, I'm sure our star goalie would have had it. :D
Theoretically, it should have been ruled out for offside :evil: ("interfering with play" by blocking the goalie).
Moreover, we really should have put away one or two more of the chances that came our way - Tom was particularly unlucky with his flick and his glancing header, both kept out by an excellent goalkeeper. :(
Still, an awesome performance :D : we can beat anyone on our day - yeah, including Bratford!! 8)
Gerrin, lads!!
:D :D :D

Without that goal, if would have been much more straightforward in terms of next Sunday, but this is Walsall - we never make it easy for ourselves. So it's a two goal win for us and a defeat for Burton to be sure.

As for the offside. From the Sky highlights it looks as though the player who unsights Etheridge, is in line when the shot that comes from Cole (who looks like one for the future) comes in and is not offside.

That and apart from our blistering start, I do wish that we didn't fart about so much, we do bring pressure on ourselves. And I do wish that we would have taken some of their defenders on, instead of retreating, passing back..to the half way line and even Etheridge. Sometimes the build up is so painfully slow.

http://www.skysports.com/football/walsa ... ort/340622

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 pm

RJMIner wrote:After all the criticism of Paul Downing has he now turned into the new Franco Baresi?

TROLL ALERT! TROLL ALERT! :lol:

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 7:59 pm

scott_powell wrote:
The fans getting on the players backs at 3-1 ... Do us all a favour and fudge off.

I was such a person, slowing right down when we should have been searching for a fourth. Nothing wrong with that.

I have had my seat for 13 years - am I not allowed to come anymore?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Awesome first 30 minutes, no one in this League could have survived an onslaught like that, AND I've seen us score a goal at last!! :lol: :lol: my last 3 matches were Sheff/Oldham/Bradford!!
No more can be said about such a great performance that hasn't been said already above.
Stay in this mood for the play off's and we are in with a shout, however what was a little distressing was the way we faded badly towards the end, mostly because the flow was disturbed by the substitutions, we seemed to lose our rhythm a little.
Someone please have a word with Etheridge about his distribution and pussy-footing around, great goalie, but VERY frustrating. At Bramhall Lane he put in a similar irritating performance, fiddling about and delaying goal kicks when we were already 2-0 down. Fleetwoods goal was justly deserved, remember they are fighting for their League one existence, but we did make them look like relegation fodder during that first half hour of utterly magnificent play.
The journey home up the M6 car park was a nightmare, got back at 6.30!!! after the idiots in charge of the asylum decided it was a good idea to repair some central reservation lighting and put all the Bank holiday Monday traffic into ONE LANE!! :evil:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Aldridge_saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
The fans getting on the players backs at 3-1 ... Do us all a favour and fudge off.

I was such a person, slowing right down when we should have been searching for a fourth. Nothing wrong with that.

I have had my seat for 13 years - am I not allowed to come anymore?

A fourth goal could have been very important. It would have totally taken goal difference out of the equation for Sunday. I don't blame the players, I think it is the same Jon Whitney that had us running the ball in to the corners v Shrewsbury. I'm not sure why we have to treat the players like delicate little flowers all of the time, no one was slagging them off, just sort of " come on show some urgency, it really could matter"

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 8:05 pm

As the game was televised there's not much point in my giving a blow-by-blow account, but there are some observations that are significant. Mainly (as has been said by others) - where on earth did that performance come from? For most of the first half, and certainly for the first 20 minutes, we treated the game as a training session - passes were arrowed straight to feet, one-twos came off without a hitch, and more importantly every player was "up for it" - we were first to every loose ball, Fleetwood's passes were being intercepted, we were even winning headers. Confidence was huge, and Bradshaw's goal inside the first 2 minutes contributed hugely to that. Don't get the idea that Fleetwood laid down and let us play - they weren't all that bad, it's just that we didn't allow them to get a look-in.

I have to say that my sympathy goes out to Tom Bradshaw, who always seems to be man-marked by a neanderthal thug. Considering Tom's lack of height and brawn he does extremely well to get on the end of as many chances as he does.

The comment has been made about Etheridge's lack of finesse in certain aspects of his game, and I have to say that being an eye-witness to some of his distribution efforts I'm surprised that we didn't concede more. It may not be blatantly obvious on the TV screen, but some of his short clearances to his full backs were literally no more than a couple of inches away from being intercepted by opposition forwards bearing down on him. Definitely squeaky bum time, specially towards the end when it became 3-1, and the possibility of 3-2 raised its ugly head.

Sawyers' goal......from my viewpoint behind the goal at the other end there was absolutely nothing on for him, but from well outside the area he managed to find the tiniest gap and score - sheer quality. Most of his outrageous flicks worked today as well!

I don't know who got the official Man of the match award, but it must have been a tough choice as everyone put in a shift. Demetriou, Henry, O'Connor, Sawyers, Bradshaw, even Downing (!) were in with a shout. Overall, a cracking team performance.

So our fate goes down to the final game of the season - no mid-table mediocrity here......... :wink:

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:As the game was televised there's not much point in my giving a blow-by-blow account, but there are some observations that are significant. Mainly (as has been said by others) - where on earth did that performance come from? For most of the first half, and certainly for the first 20 minutes, we treated the game as a training session - passes were arrowed straight to feet, one-twos came off without a hitch, and more importantly every player was "up for it" - we were first to every loose ball, Fleetwood's passes were being intercepted, we were even winning headers. Confidence was huge, and Bradshaw's goal inside the first 2 minutes contributed hugely to that. Don't get the idea that Fleetwood laid down and let us play - they weren't all that bad, it's just that we didn't allow them to get a look-in.

I have to say that my sympathy goes out to Tom Bradshaw, who always seems to be man-marked by a neanderthal thug. Considering Tom's lack of height and brawn he does extremely well to get on the end of as many chances as he does.

The comment has been made about Etheridge's lack of finesse in certain aspects of his game, and I have to say that being an eye-witness to some of his distribution efforts I'm surprised that we didn't concede more. It may not be blatantly obvious on the TV screen, but some of his short clearances to his full backs were literally no more than a couple of inches away from being intercepted by opposition forwards bearing down on him. Definitely squeaky bum time, specially towards the end when it became 3-1, and the possibility of 3-2 raised its ugly head.

Sawyers' goal......from my viewpoint behind the goal at the other end there was absolutely nothing on for him, but from well outside the area he managed to find the tiniest gap and score - sheer quality. Most of his outrageous flicks worked today as well!

I don't know who got the official Man of the match award, but it must have been a tough choice as everyone put in a shift. Demetriou, Henry, O'Connor, Sawyers, Bradshaw, even Downing (!) were in with a shout. Overall, a cracking team performance.

So our fate goes down to the final game of the season - no mid-table mediocrity here......... :wink:

Did you move seats at half time Welsh_Saddler?

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon May 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Chuffed with that win! Shame we couldn't keep a clean sheet but it gives us a good chance next week to do our bit, just need to hope Doncaster can help us out!

O'Connor and Downing - Excellent, even if a little shaky with pass backs last 10 minutes.
Demetriou & Henry - excellent too.
I thought Morris had a good game, got stuck in playing in the centre of midfield. Wouldn't have taken him off as early though.
Forde - brilliant, especially first half. He and Demetriou have a decent partnership down the right.
Bradshaw - superb finish! and played well the rest of the game.
Sawyers - great game. His goal just goes to show what happens when he does have a shot!
Chambers did his job well as per.

Only criticism was that Milan was over complicating things with his step-overs, when simple passes or crosses would have been more effective. Also, as frustrating as Etheridge is with his kicking, when Fleetwood were coming onto us in the last 5 minutes and we looked a little shaky slowing the game down and taking the wind out of their sail wasn't a bad thing.

Bought my Port Vale tickets after the game, can't wait!

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 8:24 pm

As an aside, there was a Bristol City scout collecting a ticket in front of me today. Wonder who he was watching.....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 pm

f.a.o. Donnington Saddler (for some reason the UTS website isn't happy tonight, and I've got no "quote" facility) - in answer to your question, yes - I vacated my seat at half-time and joined the humongous queue for food. It was worth it in the end, but the 2nd half was well under way by the time I got my chips with curry sauce & "Cornish" pasty, so I stayed in the refreshment area and watched the rest of the game from behind the windows there.

Did we occupy adjacent seats in the first half? The gentleman on my right (with his son?) at a guess. If so, nice to have met you!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue May 03, 2016 8:05 am

Thought the first half an hour of the game yesterday was some of the best football we've played all season. Our performance dipped a little after that, which is understandable, Fleetwood adjusted and we tired - I mean, it must be pretty tough to play at that intensity for a full 45/90 mins

Not sure what Whitney was doing taking Lalkovic and Morris off in quick succession - it shifted the balance of the game. Lalko and Morris were the two players who really scared Fleetwood with their running and pace - to take them off, and shift Sawyers to the left, nullified that attack and gave Fleetwood a foot in the door.

Whatever happens, I don't think Whitney should be made permanent manager - he's too good to have around the camp as a motivator to risk losing him if we ever need to fire him, and I think he's shown a bit of naivety in a few games (like yesterday for example).

Shame we conceded that goal because if not, the equation was simple - we win, Burton lose, simples. Now, it's just a little more complex. Nevertheless, it couldn't be clearer for the lads, they know what they've got to do at Vale.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue May 03, 2016 8:26 am

Agree about Whitney...and I think some of the criticism of him is OTT. Against Shrewsbury I would have done exactly what the team did in the last few minutes and I understood his decision to take Lalkovic off although I do agree that Morris who had a fine game should have remained on the pitch. Incidentally when Sawyers goes I think Morris could fulfil his role if we continue with playing one up front. He may not have the skill of Sawyers(very few players have) but he would be more of a goal threat and would certainly(on yesterdays evidence) put in a shift!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 am

Walsallone wrote:Agree about Whitney...and I think some of the criticism of him is OTT. Against Shrewsbury I would have done exactly what the team did in the last few minutes and I understood his decision to take Lalkovic off although I do agree that Morris who had a fine game should have remained on the pitch. Incidentally when Sawyers goes I think Morris could fulfil his role if we continue with playing one up front. He may not have the skill of Sawyers(very few players have) but he would be more of a goal threat and would certainly(on yesterdays evidence) put in a shift!

I think it's a big probability that Morris will take over the Sawyers role, especially if we don't go up. He is never going to be in the same class as Sawyers, but you might find he will be more productive, certainly in terms of goals, and possibly assists. Sawyers is an awesome player at this level, but if I had one criticism of him, is that he should be much more productive given his absolute talent.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 am

Glad someone else had problems with UTS last night, took ages to get on and then it was Oh so slow.
Cannot understand some of the comments above, whereby all we have to do is win at Vale, whilst Burton lose at Donny?
Am I missing something? Surely they have a better goal difference than us by three goals, so even if the miracles happened they would still go up? We would have to obtain a positive four goal difference between the two results?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Glad someone else had problems with UTS last night, took ages to get on and then it was Oh so slow.
Cannot understand some of the comments above, whereby all we have to do is win at Vale, whilst Burton lose at Donny?
Am I missing something? Surely they have a better goal difference than us by three goals, so even if the miracles happened they would still go up? We would have to obtain a positive four goal difference between the two results?

We have scored more goals.

We win 2-0 they lose 1-0 (hypothetically) we are level but will go up on goals scored. Had we won by 3 yesterday, goal difference wouldn't have been in the equation at all.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue May 03, 2016 12:25 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Not sure what Whitney was doing taking Lalkovic and Morris off in quick succession - it shifted the balance of the game. Lalko and Morris were the two players who really scared Fleetwood with their running and pace - to take them off, and shift Sawyers to the left, nullified that attack and gave Fleetwood a foot in the door.

I think Lalkovic has been hooked in all but three of the games he's started for us this season - usually around the 70 minute mark. Morris's stats are similar. Whitney spoke about this the other week - there are players in our squad who hit the wall around three quarters of the way through our games and are subbed as a matter of course. One of the reasons I guess why we're been able to run such a small squad and keep injuries to a minimum. It doesn't always happen - Morris was kept on until the 88th minute against Shrewsbury for instance - but I think if they both start there's always a chance that they'll be substituted to manage their fitness with any tactical implications seen as a necessary evil.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue May 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Glad someone else had problems with UTS last night, took ages to get on and then it was Oh so slow.

FFS, didn't you used to be some sort of an accountant?....
1. Burton must lose.
2. Walsall must win.
3. The goal difference must move in our favour by a minimum of 3 goals on the day (in any combination you like - I think we can safely discount Burton scoring a shedload of goals).

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Tue May 03, 2016 1:45 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:3. The goal difference must move in our favour by a minimum of 3 goals on the day (in any combination you like - I think we can safely discount Burton scoring a shedload of goals).

Oh I don't know. If we win 2-0 Burton could afford to lose 13-12 and still go up. Perfectly achievable if:

1. The game is played with continually changing teams over several hours on Pelsall Common
2. With jumpers for goalposts and no referee.
3. And with me in goal for both teams.

I'm sure you remember games like that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm

moaning saddler wrote:

FFS, didn't you used to be some sort of an accountant?....
1. Burton must lose.
2. Walsall must win.
3. The goal difference must move in our favour by a minimum of 3 goals on the day (in any combination you like - I think we can safely discount Burton scoring a shedload of goals).

Yeah, I was forgetting that if goal diff is equal, he who has scored more goals wins a coconut!
However, you are suggesting Burton will not score a shed load, didn't they hit 4 away the other week?
Here's hoping Andy Butler is on song on Sunday, I think a lot of fans at Vale will have one ear open for the progress of Burtons match, however we have to keep our side of the bargain, so a repeat of Mondays fust 30 minute flurry please!! :D :D

SWS1

Tue May 03, 2016 4:53 pm

Fish wrote (about Fleetwood's goal scorer):
"Cole (who looks like one for the future)..."
Agreed he looked like he had potential but, surely, their most dangerous/effective looking player was their No. 7, Bell.. He looked dangerous every time he got the ball and could beat his man quite often; his problem was the players around him...
I note he is down as a defender on their web site but he took up a forward-midfield attacking position out left in the second half.
Did anyone else "notice" him?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Tue May 03, 2016 5:17 pm

SWS1 wrote:Fish wrote (about Fleetwood's goal scorer):
Agreed he looked like he had potential but, surely, their most dangerous/effective looking player was their No. 7, Bell.. He looked dangerous every time he got the ball and could beat his man quite often; his problem was the players around him...
I note he is down as a defender on their web site but he took up a forward-midfield attacking position out left in the second half.

Yes I did. An attacking left back.Thought he would make a good replacement for Rico. :wink: From Birmingham so may welcome a chance to play nearer to home. He may be interested if Fleetwood go down.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Tue May 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:f.a.o. Donnington Saddler (for some reason the UTS website isn't happy tonight, and I've got no "quote" facility) - in answer to your question, yes - I vacated my seat at half-time and joined the humongous queue for food. It was worth it in the end, but the 2nd half was well under way by the time I got my chips with curry sauce & "Cornish" pasty, so I stayed in the refreshment area and watched the rest of the game from behind the windows there.

Did we occupy adjacent seats in the first half? The gentleman on my right (with his son?) at a guess. If so, nice to have met you!!

Yep. That was me and my boy. Nice to meet you too!

SWS1

Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:

Yes I did. An attacking left back.Thought he would make a good replacement for Rico. :wink: From Birmingham so may welcome a chance to play nearer to home. He may be interested if Fleetwood go down.

Could be a good acquisition: he didn't look very quick but held the ball well, could beat a man and pick a pass. Could suit us very well, if he's interested.
(In the Saddlers' scouting staff we trust :mrgreen: ).

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue May 03, 2016 10:29 pm

SWS1 wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

Could be a good acquisition: he didn't look very quick but held the ball well, could beat a man and pick a pass. Could suit us very well, if he's interested.
(In the Saddlers' scouting staff we trust :mrgreen: ).

We have scouts? Can I be one please? must be the cushiest job in the universe!! 7 years of study completely wasted, I could have been a scout for Walsall F.C. and earned a salary for lying on a beach.......anywhere but the UK!
Honestly is someone REALLY suggesting that WE have scouts? Shortest, most pointless CV in history, a bit like the busiest bar job gewin.........serving beer at the Saddlers Club........where you get cramp from standing lifelessly for far too long.
Or is my sarcarstic side coming out again?

UTS Legend

Sat May 07, 2016 12:09 am

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season