Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 am

Talk about a season going "right to the wire"......with only 2 scheduled league One games left to play it's still far from clear what the ultimate outcome will be. By the time this game is played on Bank Holiday Monday we will know if Gillingham have managed to thump Burton Albion (we live in hope), and Doncaster Rovers' result at Crewe will also be a possible factor in Burton's last game. So many alternatives..........

Whatever happens on Saturday we have to make sure we get 3 points from the Fleetwood Town game, and that may not be the easiest thing in the world bearing in mind Fleetwood's slightly precarious position in League One. They're 2 points clear of the relegation zone, but if remaining games go to form they should be safe - Blackpool shouldn't get much change out of Wigan Athletic (early kick-off on Saturday), and Fleetwood's final game is at home to relegated Crewe Alexandra.

With it so far? Anyway, back to the game on Monday - we've already had the pleasure of meeting Fleetwood twice this season and it would be good to preserve our 100% record against them. It has to be admitted that their form has improved of late though, with draws the predominant feature rather than the three or four defeats in a run seen earlier this season. Their current form:

2 Apr Swindon Town (A) Drew 1-1
5 Apr Peterborough United (H) Won 2-0
9 Apr Southend United (A) Drew 2-2
16 Apr Oldham Athletic (H) Drew 1-1
19 Apr Millwall (A) Lost 1-0
23 Apr Blackpool (H) Drew 0-0

The changes to our starting XI after the Bradford City match led to a much more positive approach against Shrewsbury Town with the appropriate result, and the same theory applies even more to this game for one very good reason. Fleetwood Town's defence (goal difference of -4) has a stronger look about it than Shrewsbury Town's (-17) so logically we are going to have to be even more effective in the attacking department to achieve the same result. The only change to the starting XI against Shrewsbury (for me) would be to keep Milan on the bench as an impact sub, and therefore start Jordy alongside Kieron Morris and Tom Bradshaw. Almost as important as the three points is the desirability of a high scoring win, because goal difference may yet play a part in deciding the automatic promotion qualification.

OK, so....prediction time - sticking my neck out (and it's about time we gave someone a good pasting) I'll go for a 4-0 result, with Bradshaw (2), Morris and Sawyers on the scoresheet.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (H) Monday 2nd May, 12.15pm

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 am

4-0 win

It's about time we hammered a team. No better time to do it.

firreblade

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:09 pm

We would of been promoted by now if it weren't for that O'dismal person, still I am very proud of our Walsall this season on making the playoff. I think we still got a shot for the autos but like you said we need to win both remaining games and win by at least 2 to 3 goals each game and hope Burton drop points.

Predictions: I am going for a big win here because I think we are due one and the fans deserve one so i'm going for a 5-1 win. Morris 2, Sawyers 1, Henry 1 and Bradshaw 1. UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:33 pm

Oh how good it would be to see a few goals at home for a change, though I do think Fleetwood will put in a great deal of effort & endeavour, they are certainly no pushovers, and we are still not in sparkling form, it has to be remembered that they too are in great danger of relegation, Doncaster are on quite some run currently.
As I didn't make Tuesdays game, I will be at this one.
Here's to seeing a good performance, my last three matches have been Sheff Utd, Oldham & Bradford, I've not seen us score once, but seen us concede seven!! Little wonder my posts have been less than complimentary! :mrgreen:
1-0 will do but 4-0 will be better, especially after seeing Gillingham knock three past Burton without reply...we live in hope of a miracle!

newjersey exile

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm getting on a plane tonight to come see this game - wont be able to make any playoff games if that's the final outcome - whatever - its been a good season for a change!

UTS !!!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Walsall 3 Fleetwood 0
Sawyers hatrick.
Att:6550, 300 Cod Army.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:21 pm

otiswfc wrote:Walsall 3 Fleetwood 0
Sawyers hatrick.
Att:6550, 300 Cod Army.

Don't worry otis, I'll find out who's hacked your account :mrgreen:

NortonSaddler

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:33 pm

What's our record in front of the sky cameras? I cant think of any defeats in front of them other than that day at wembley. Not only are the results good, our performances are normally good as well.

Think it'll be a tight game if we dont score early. However, i think we'll be direct like we were at shrewsbury, and finish fleetwood off instead of letting em back in it like shrews.

With all that in mind, 4-0. 6k+ in attendance. Burton to lose 3-0 and have beavon, duffy and akins stretcherd off after colliding in a heap.

UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:21 pm

3-1 win. Please.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 pm

NortonSaddler wrote:What's our record in front of the sky cameras? I cant think of any defeats in front of them other than that day at wembley. Not only are the results good, our performances are normally good as well.

Trying to remember our tv games recently other than Wembley...

Port Vale at home - won 2 nil.
Preston away JPT - won 2 nil.
Sheffield United home cup - won 1 nil.
Portsmouth home - won 2 nil.

Can't remember any more.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:18 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
NortonSaddler wrote:What's our record in front of the sky cameras? I cant think of any defeats in front of them other than that day at wembley. Not only are the results good, our performances are normally good as well.

Can't remember any more.

Peterborough at home. Lalkovic score if i remember correctly... 2-0 i think it ended

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:32 pm

Our last game on Sky which we failed to win was the 1-0 loss at Shrewsbury about 3 or 4 seasons ago.

I predict a 2-0 win for this game though.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:42 pm

scott_powell wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

Can't remember any more.

Peterborough at home. Lalkovic score if i remember correctly... 2-0 i think it ended

Yep, I remember now. Lakovic and Sawyers scored, boro had a player sent off too.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 am

A 1-0 win to the Super Saddlers, although I think it will be a close run thing against a side who are better than their league position suggests (better than Shrewsbury, anyway}. Bradshaw to get the goal for us, in front of anything from 6-8,000 depending on the Burton result. It should be a good day regardless :) .

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:34 am

I cant remember the last time we actually had a comfortable win we have been scraping through games by just the odd goal for months!!! we have to be due some goals..

That said I cant see this being an easy game Fleetwood will make up in fight what they lack in quality. I am going for 2-2 or 2-1 Walsall.

Gripper
Glitterati

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:41 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Fleetwood will make up in fight what they lack in quality.

I disagree with that statement, I thought they were good when we played them mid March! Gave us a proper game and played with the ball on the floor.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Gripper wrote:

I disagree with that statement, I thought they were good when we played them mid March! Gave us a proper game and played with the ball on the floor.

I agree. In many ways they were better than us. Just on the night our forward found a fantastic finish to convert his only chance and our goalie had a stormer. They play decent stuff, some right tricky wide men and a combatitive midfield. No gimme. Not by a long chalk.

Gripper
Glitterati

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:04 pm

PT wrote:
Gripper wrote:

I agree. In many ways they were better than us. Just on the night our forward found a fantastic finish to convert his only chance and our goalie had a stormer. They play decent stuff, some right tricky wide men and a combatitive midfield. No gimme. Not by a long chalk.

Glad someone else saw it how I did, they were one of the best team's I've seen this year, and Tom's finish was potent to say the least. I think they coped very well with chasing the game too, went for it to the end, even Maxwell went up for a corner at the end, bless him.

Will be a very tough game IMO.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Gripper wrote:
PT wrote:
Gripper wrote:

Glad someone else saw it how I did, they were one of the best team's I've seen this year, and Tom's finish was potent to say the least. I think they coped very well with chasing the game too, went for it to the end, even Maxwell went up for a corner at the end, bless him.

I thrice it. The added time save by Etheridge was the best I've seen in a good while.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Will Isaiah be in the squad?
Surely he must be getting close by now - ready to star in our run in.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Whitters wrote:Will Isaiah be in the squad?

No such person, like Wakefield he is but a ghost salary.

SuperDon

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Played 45 mins in the development squad this week

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:47 pm

SuperDon wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Was that the squad that got thumped 0-6 at home by the Bradford City equivalent?

SuperDon

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
SuperDon wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Was that the squad that got thumped 0-6 at home by the Bradford City equivalent?

Indeed.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:31 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Gripper wrote:
PT wrote:
Gripper wrote:

I thrice it. The added time save by Etheridge was the best I've seen in a good while.

There current league position proves they must lack quality in areas ,it's down to us to expose it.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:42 am

3-1 Saddlers, Morris, Bradshaw and O'Connor.

6965 there, with 245 away fans.

Anyone know what time the Saddlers Club will be open?

chadsmoor saddler

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:05 pm

All out attack no Matter what now, final home game, smash em and see what the last game brings, 6-0 Saddlers, 6487 att, 150 from the tram stop in Blackpool. Anyone know if the bar under ftg will be open before game and at what time?

windowman
UTS Legend

Sun May 01, 2016 5:34 am

chadsmoor saddler wrote:All out attack no Matter what now, final home game, smash em and see what the last game brings, 6-0 Saddlers, 6487 att, 150 from the tram stop in Blackpool. Anyone know if the bar under ftg will be open before game and at what time?

will be open when the turnstiles open would of thought.
chadsmoor templars ?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 am

cumbria-saddler wrote:3-1 Saddlers, Morris, Bradshaw and O'Connor.

HA! :lol: :lol: If yowm a Worsul supporter, yowl be barred. (disguise yourself as a Baggie)

Would love a victory 3-0 would be great, (but how many matches have we scraped by recently by one goal?) as it's the last match I'll get to this season (unless we get to Wembley that is :lol: :lol: :lol: )
But I have a terrible feeling that we will mess up 0-1 in front of 5,500 odd, remember it's bank holiday Monday, wives and girlfriends will have other ideas than a footy match!

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun May 01, 2016 10:27 am

[youtube][/youtube]
Ancient Moaner wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:3-1 Saddlers, Morris, Bradshaw and O'Connor.

HA! :lol: :lol: If yowm a Worsul supporter, yowl be barred. (disguise yourself as a Baggie)

I have a northern accent so they'll think I'm away fan anyway :wink:

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season