Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H), Tuesday April 26th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H), Tuesday April 26th, 7.45pm

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Attendance 5,339, including 696 Salop.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:11 pm

5333 in attendance with just under 700 from Shropshire

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Attendance 5,339, including 696 Salop.

:D

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:13 pm

chestersaddler wrote:5333 in attendance with just under 700 from Shropshire

Close but no cigar 8) :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Mantom on for Meelan (75 min)

Another Walsall substitution...... Cook for Bradshaw (77 min)

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Hang on in there, we NEED these three points, don't screw it up!! :?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Mantom on for Meelan (75 min)

Another Walsall substitution...... Cook for Bradshaw (77 min)

Cook & Mantom?? have we got a death wish strategy?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Our third substitution........ Jordy on for Kieron Morris (87 min)

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Four mins added

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Our first yellow card - Jordan Cook (91 min) :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:36 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Four mins added

If I ain't had a heart attack tonight I never will! Four minutes to the certainty of the play off's and possibly against Barnsley or Gillingham in the first match, not too bad a chance.

Hooorahhhh it's over!!! we've won a match!!!
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:37 pm

All over yes

UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:38 pm

PHEW!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Phew 2!

Now let's pray for Gillingham to pull their fingers out and get something at the Pirelli on Saturday.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:43 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Attendance 5,339, including 696 Salop.

They've never brought so many!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Four mins added

If I ain't had a heart attack tonight I never will! Four minutes to the certainty of the play off's and possibly against Barnsley or Gillingham in the first match, not too bad a chance.

Hooorahhhh it's over!!! we've won a match!!!

That last happened the grand total of 10 days ago. :lol:

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Well where to start with that one. I thought first half was a very disciplined display and everyone was on song in the main but clearly nervy. Not sure what was up with Etheridge but he didn't seem confident in coming out so maybe carrying a knock, I notice Craig warming up in the first half so maybe there was an injury.

Second half was all change really, Shrewsbury made substations but in my opinion our lack of discipline cost us the goal, we pushed for more goals and got caught out with too many men forward rather than holding the ball and waiting for Shrewsbury to make a mistake whilst trying to get a goal back. I thought Milan had a great game until he took it upon himself to try and score a third but in doing so was caught too often out of position and not tracking back so the substition was required. I thought Mantom was a brave choice but it paid off he got involved and made a nuisance of himself in the middle.

For me the back line looked solid enough and chambers looked comfortable with his positioning showing why he had so much potential as a youth years ago. Forde and Milan in the first 45 were excellent up and down their respective wings and provided protection to the full backs and viable threats going forward. Sawyers and Morris as attacking midfielder behind Tom works, especially at home. Cook substition was at the right time he challenged for all balls forward and won vital free kicks, changing him to the wing to get Jordy on was a bit of a mistake in my opinion but the game was done by then anyway.

One point about Downing, all play goes through him we always use him to distribute and he hardly ever misses a header, the fact he is so involved in games means he will make mistakes and as a center back it will magnify his mistakes but cut the guy slack he is a fantastic player at this level.

Personally the only mistake for me was pushing for a goal after half time we should have weathered the Shrewsbury Storm in my opinion and killed them off after 75 minutes as our fitness really started to shine as they died off after then. Overall a good win and it makes things interesting again.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:29 pm

I want to congratulate the team the staff and all us fans for firstly making the play offs.
this is an amazing achievement and shouldn't be underestimated.

we now have a chance of autos albeit it we need snookers but all we can do is try and take the 6 points on offer
and if we don't quite make it then we have to strap ourselves in for the play off ride.

be nice to finish 3rd if that's our chosen path as id much prefer to play the closing pack than milwall/Bradford in the semis

right time to turn into a Gillingham and Oldham fan saturday

UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:30 pm

chriss5471 wrote:Well where to start with that one. I thought first half was a very disciplined display and everyone was on song in the main but clearly nervy. Not sure what was up with Etheridge but he didn't seem confident in coming out so maybe carrying a knock, I notice Craig warming up in the first half so maybe there was an injury.

Second half was all change really, Shrewsbury made substations but in my opinion our lack of discipline cost us the goal, we pushed for more goals and got caught out with too many men forward rather than holding the ball and waiting for Shrewsbury to make a mistake whilst trying to get a goal back. I thought Milan had a great game until he took it upon himself to try and score a third but in doing so was caught too often out of position and not tracking back so the substition was required. I thought Mantom was a brave choice but it paid off he got involved and made a nuisance of himself in the middle.

For me the back line looked solid enough and chambers looked comfortable with his positioning showing why he had so much potential as a youth years ago. Forde and Milan in the first 45 were excellent up and down their respective wings and provided protection to the full backs and viable threats going forward. Sawyers and Morris as attacking midfielder behind Tom works, especially at home. Cook substition was at the right time he challenged for all balls forward and won vital free kicks, changing him to the wing to get Jordy on was a bit of a mistake in my opinion but the game was done by then anyway.

One point about Downing, all play goes through him we always use him to distribute and he hardly ever misses a header, the fact he is so involved in games means he will make mistakes and as a center back it will magnify his mistakes but cut the guy slack he is a fantastic player at this level.

Personally the only mistake for me was pushing for a goal after half time we should have weathered the Shrewsbury Storm in my opinion and killed them off after 75 minutes as our fitness really started to shine as they died off after then. Overall a good win and it makes things interesting again.

Thanks for that!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Downing was an absolute beast tonight! Superb performance. 10000% my man of the match.

First cup final - Won

Two more left. Who's joining me at Burton V Gillingham Saturday ;)?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:00 pm

A very good battling performance. Excellent passing football at times. Should have scored more. I don't usually mention individuals but well done Paul Downing(outstanding tonight),Anthony Forde only just behind as my man of the match and Jordan Cook for holding the ball and running down time.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:04 pm

A deserved win. Coulda & shoulda won by more. Really needed to improve our goal difference tonight.

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Great 3 points tonight and always nice to beat Salop.The inflatable sheep were a nice touch.

I didn't hear the mom announcement tonight but for me Paul Downing was superb.

Come on you Gills!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Downing did well tonight just wish he would jump when attacking headers and dominate his man a little more, but that's perhaps a little picky.

Milan frustrated me tonight if only he could shoot then the game would of been over early doors.

Forde was MOM great energy and worked his socks off.

Oh and the Ref was a twerp missed a foul in the build up to their goal.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Downing did well tonight just wish he would jump when attacking headers and dominate his man a little more, but that's perhaps a little picky.

Milan frustrated me tonight if only he could shoot then the game would of been over early doors.

Forde was MOM great energy and worked his socks off.

Oh and the Ref was a twerp missed a foul in the build up to their goal.

I thought the ref was superb tonight

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Excellent team and formation first half, lots of credit to the staff for that. We played very well first half and very much deserved our lead.

Second half I feel we waited a little too long to bring Mantom on and regain control of the game, no real need to keep going for more and more and risk losing the lead when we are already two up. Maybe that was a little bit of naivety.

Still, an excellent all round performance, particular defensively as the lads had less protection than they are used to.

MOTM tied between Morris for his attacking prowess and Forde for his defensive shift.

NortonSaddler

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Good performance!

Downings gone from sunday league saturday to world beater tonight. Forde, morris and sawyers also a real threat all night. Great to see whits go for it. Bit disapointed we didnt go for goal in the last few mins when their defense was a donkey and their keeper; but in hindsight it was probs a good move cus they were a threat on the break and maybe not worth the risk.

Lets hope dack pulls his finger out saturday.

Special mention to the sloppies support... I actually think crewe make more of a presence :shock:

UTS

m&m
Glitterati

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Ahh Jonny you seem like a nice guy after reading some of your posts on here but go on give poor old Downing a bit of credit tonight. He may not be the finished article yet but really he's not that bad at this level.

UTS Legend

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:31 am

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:25 am

Great result and a much improved performance after Bradford. My man of the match was Forde followed closely by Rico who has emphatically proved that he is the number one left back and hopefully convinced Whitney that the ridiculous tactic of playing him in front of Taylor should be consigned to the bin. Over the top comments re Downing, he had a nervy game once again despite one tackle/block which saved a certain goal. His passing is poor and why he is allowed [by Whitney] to continue to try to play cross field Hollywood balls is beyond me since his success rate is about 10%. I would rather Preston play, much more solid and better in the air particularly against the 6ft plus mutants who we face in every game.
Looking forward to Monday?

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season