Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H), Tuesday April 26th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H), Tuesday April 26th, 7.45pm

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:32 am

scott_powell wrote:Downing was an absolute beast tonight! Superb performance. 10000% my man of the match.

First cup final - Won

Two more left. Who's joining me at Burton V Gillingham Saturday ;)?

if you have a subscription to SadWorld then you can listen to commentary here
http://www.player.gillinghamfootballclub.com/

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:03 am

hullsaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Downing was an absolute beast tonight! Superb performance. 10000% my man of the match.

First cup final - Won

Where's the fun in that!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 am

Murdered them the first half.
Lost midfield again in the second.
I think Morris was the sponsors MoM, mine was Henry.

Should have gone for more goals at the end instead of trying to run the clock down in the corners. 1 point or 3 points the play offs were guaranteed. We could still miss automatic by goal difference so we need a couple of decent wins now and hope The Brewers lose heavily.

Funny how the fixtures pan out: we need to beat Fleetwood convincingly to give ourselves a chance at overhauling Burton and in doing so give Doncaster a chance who are in a similar position to ourselves but at the other end of the table. Then they can reciprocate by giving Burton a drubbing at their place on the last day. Win-Win :D

#believe (in andybutler). :D

The inflatable sheep were a nice touch.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:10 am

scott_powell wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

First cup final - Won

Where's the fun in that!

Agree, but it is as an alternative to a 220 mile round trip!

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:20 am

The priority had to be a win to keep us in with an outside chance of automatic promotion, rather than the secondary consideration of a point to secure a play off spot, so in that regard it was job done.
Having established a two goal lead in the first half it was disappointing that we didn't at least maintain it, or preferably extend it to claw more of the deficit back on Burton.
We played pretty well in the first half with another fine goal by Morris and a good run and effort from Henry that fortunately went in. Shrewsbury had a lot of difficulty in dealing with our threat and had to change personnel/formation to try to deal with it.
I thought Bradshaw's control, touch and lay offs were instrumental in bringing other players into the game higher up the pitch and he hardly put a foot wrong.
In the second half Shrewsbury improved and played quite well, although we continued to threaten repeatedly without ever managing to be clinical.
We had lots of shots in the second half that were easily blocked, Bradshaw was guilty of this when passing would have been a better option. On the other hand Sawyers was guilty of failing to shoot when he received the ball in a good positions, or created chances for himself, each occasion being better opportunities than those falling to Bradshaw for example.
Hopefully last night will act as a confidence builder for whatever lies ahead.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 am

Didn't go to the game but did listen.

Glad we got the win, but our ability to finish teams off is worrying. I know we're very good when we score first, but true promotion candidates would be scoring 3 or 4 on nights like last night, not holding on for a 2-1 win.

When you take Bradshaw out of the equation, the goals contributed by the rest of our attack minded players in the squad is quite shocking (Sawyers, Forde, Cook all notable culprits).

Anyway, 2 massive games left now, really dont want to be in the play offs because I don't fancy us against any of them. Hope the fleetwood game is a sell out and there is still something to play for at Port Vale.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:06 am

Leatherman wrote:Should have gone for more goals at the end instead of trying to run the clock down in the corners.

If we'd run the clock down against Blackpool we'd have had another 2 points in the bag, which would be the difference between needing Burton to lose one of their two remaing games, or needing them to draw one, for our promotion.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:16 am

And Wigan.!

Ryanponder18

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:35 am

MoM was a toss up between Rico and JOC for me, O’Connor very solid all game and Rico did well going both ways, also dealt with a few diagonals Shrews played towards Akpa-Akpro drifting out to their right hand side in the first half. Morris was outstanding first half but faded a lot in the second, I think the forced change they had to make actually helped as Ian Black seemed to do a better job at closing down the space in the middle than they had done in the first half hour.

Could have been more positive and had another goal or two, but also could have easily lost the three points with a few chances they had 2nd half. The nerves/pressure from after the weekends result definitely showed I think, started quickly for a change but then seemed to just all drop in behind the ball barring Bradshaw, who was isolated for long periods. I think we did have to show more attacking intent at times though, especially against a team just outside the relegation at home.

One point I will mention is some of the moans from people sat nearby, saw a few posts after the Bradford game questioning the direct/long ball style of play, moaning that we were just ‘hoofing it’ I think it was described as. But then last night when we did attempt to play out from the back all I could hear was grumbles of ‘just get rid’ and ‘stop messing about’, etc.

Yes there were possibly a couple of occasions where we played ourselves into trouble, few slack passes from Etheridge and downing I remember, but complaining about constantly playing long one game and then moaning about trying to play out the next just baffles me!

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:45 am

I'm surprised by the couple of mentions that Sawyers was guilty of not shooting, during the game anytime he was anywhere within 30 yards of goal at least two Shrewsbury players blocked the path towards goal. For him to shoot would have been suicide as they would have certainly blocked it and then a counter attack would have been on the cards and Shrewsbury got their goal by breaking away from us in similar vain.

The one time Sawyers got free of his players he did shoot and curled narrowly over and the one time he beat two players in the box a third came and cleared the ball.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 am

Cully wrote:Great result and a much improved performance after Bradford. My man of the match was Forde followed closely by Rico who has emphatically proved that he is the number one left back and hopefully convinced Whitney that the ridiculous tactic of playing him in front of Taylor should be consigned to the bin. Over the top comments re Downing, he had a nervy game once again despite one tackle/block which saved a certain goal. His passing is poor and why he is allowed [by Whitney] to continue to try to play cross field Hollywood balls is beyond me since his success rate is about 10%. I would rather Preston play, much more solid and better in the air particularly against the 6ft plus mutants who we face in every game.
Looking forward to Monday?

I went to a different game, and in it Downing played really well. Not world beating well, but not nervy at all and passing was good for a centre half. I don't expect Glenn Hoddle but for our level, I'd take a few misplaced efforts amongst them - better than just hoofing it every time.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:19 am

Ryanponder18 wrote:One point I will mention is some of the moans from people sat nearby, saw a few posts after the Bradford game questioning the direct/long ball style of play, moaning that we were just ‘hoofing it’ I think it was described as. But then last night when we did attempt to play out from the back all I could hear was grumbles of ‘just get rid’ and ‘stop messing about’, etc.

Yes there were possibly a couple of occasions where we played ourselves into trouble, few slack passes from Etheridge and downing I remember, but complaining about constantly playing long one game and then moaning about trying to play out the next just baffles me!

It would be baffling if it were the same people saying it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:44 am

nottmsaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Great result and a much improved performance after Bradford. My man of the match was Forde followed closely by Rico who has emphatically proved that he is the number one left back and hopefully convinced Whitney that the ridiculous tactic of playing him in front of Taylor should be consigned to the bin. Over the top comments re Downing, he had a nervy game once again despite one tackle/block which saved a certain goal. His passing is poor and why he is allowed [by Whitney] to continue to try to play cross field Hollywood balls is beyond me since his success rate is about 10%. I would rather Preston play, much more solid and better in the air particularly against the 6ft plus mutants who we face in every game.
Looking forward to Monday?

I went to a different game, and in it Downing played really well. Not world beating well, but not nervy at all and passing was good for a centre half. I don't expect Glenn Hoddle but for our level, I'd take a few misplaced efforts amongst them - better than just hoofing it every time.

Downing was superb last night. Won every header, bombed forward occasionally, was never caught out of position and played some very nice passes. There was that nervy pass to Etheridge in the first half but other than that he was superb. My MOTM by a mile.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 am

Me too, Downing was very good last night.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:38 am

m&m wrote:Ahh Jonny you seem like a nice guy after reading some of your posts on here but go on give poor old Downing a bit of credit tonight. He may not be the finished article yet but really he's not that bad at this level.

Downing had a okay game, not brilliant but not bad either by any stretch of the imagination. Much, much improved from Saturday and after that performance it does take some bottle to go back out there again.

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Have to say I agree with most of what my old sparring partner Cully says - well said sir! Morris and Rico stood out for me too - thought their running at the Shrews defence made all the difference. I like Downing but I do reluctantly agree with some of that - I do think we struggle when teams start pumping high balls into the area and teams know this and target this weakness, could do with an old fashioned 'stopper' centre half alongside the more cultured JOC maybe Preston could do a job? That said I was really encouraged that we were tenacious enough in defence to see the game home after going behind - a few around me were predicting a 2-3 loss.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:36 pm

What a difference a few days make, right team selection, right tactics equals right result.
First half ours and earned 2 goal lead, second half I thought belonged to shrewsbury, I don't know what halftime talk is at home but we always come out and start slowly letting other side get on top.
Big difference was when under pressure players putting bodies in way to block everything against Bradford they gave in, well done lads for getting back to norm.
Playoffs confirmed the dream still on but not in our hands.

Up the Gills

Leatherman
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 am

aaaae wrote:
Leatherman wrote:Should have gone for more goals at the end instead of trying to run the clock down in the corners.

If we'd run the clock down against Blackpool we'd have had another 2 points in the bag, which would be the difference between needing Burton to lose one of their two remaing games, or needing them to draw one, for our promotion.

We weren't playing Blackpool or Wigan. We were playing Shrewsbury and needed a point for the play offs. Three points and an inferior goal difference to Burton still means play offs. We need to put Burton under more pressure in the hope they will crack. We are going to have to go looking for more goals in the last two fixtures which may put pressure on us, particularly if we only win by one goal against Fleetwood.

The bottom line for me is, I think we should have gambled. I think there's a good chance we will end up on the same points as Burton so goal difference is important. It doesn't matter if we miss the automatic position by points or goal difference. We will still have missed it.

Stoke v Gillingham; Walsall v Rotherham?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:51 am

4143 wrote:
Ryanponder18 wrote:One point I will mention is some of the moans from people sat nearby, saw a few posts after the Bradford game questioning the direct/long ball style of play, moaning that we were just ‘hoofing it’ I think it was described as. But then last night when we did attempt to play out from the back all I could hear was grumbles of ‘just get rid’ and ‘stop messing about’, etc.

It would be baffling if it were the same people saying it.

Funnily enough, it usually is.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Leatherman wrote:
aaaae wrote:

We weren't playing Blackpool or Wigan. We were playing Shrewsbury and needed a point for the play offs. Three points and an inferior goal difference to Burton still means play offs. We need to put Burton under more pressure in the hope they will crack. We are going to have to go looking for more goals in the last two fixtures which may put pressure on us, particularly if we only win by one goal against Fleetwood.

The bottom line for me is, I think we should have gambled. I think there's a good chance we will end up on the same points as Burton so goal difference is important. It doesn't matter if we miss the automatic position by points or goal difference. We will still have missed it.

Stoke v Gillingham; Walsall v Rotherham?

Don't remind us of that awful, depressing day, will live long in the memory...................regrettably.

bigbadsad
UTS Veteran

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:57 pm

First cup final - Won

got my ticket today! up the gills!!!

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season