Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (A) April 23rd, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bradford City (A) April 23rd, 3pm

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:10 pm

Four games to go......just four games in our scheduled League One season (I'm trying not to even think about the play-offs). The situation is "as you were" following the mid-week fixtures - all we have to do is win those four games and automatic promotion should be ours, assuming Burton Albion don't go on a goal rampage in their 3 games.

Speaking of goal rampages, that's the one category you wouldn't associate Bradford City with this season. Although they occupy a respectable 5th place in the League One table their goalscoring record is unimpressive, with only 48 goals from their 43 games. They've scored fewer goals than any other side in the top 16 places, and their leading marksman James Hanson has 10 to his name. Striker Steven Davies has 5, but he won't figure on Saturday after being sent off at Coventry. There is always the exception which proves the rule however, and it's worth bearing in mind that Bradford City went to Peterborough in February and won 0-4. Their recent form is revealing, and shows how a decent league One position can be achieved by grinding out 1-0 results.........

26 Mar Millwall (H) Won 1-0
28 Mar Crewe Alexandra (A) Won 0-1
2 Apr Scunthorpe United (H) Won 1-0
9 Apr Swindon Town (H) Won 1-0
16 Apr Shrewsbury Town (A) Drew 1-1
19 Apr Coventry City (A) Lost 1-0

Bradford City have been able to concentrate on their League One progress this season without the distractions of the high profile Cup runs that they saw previously. They made the third round of the F. A. Cup this season before going out (on penalties) to Bury. Contrast that with the previous couple of campaigns when the likes of Chelsea, Sunderland, Arsenal and (how we laughed) Aston Villa were dispatched.

What will the WCW triumverate's thoughts be for team selection, I wonder? There can be no doubt that the majority of the players put in what can only be called a "leggy" performance against Swindon Town. The notable exception to that, from my viewpoint was Jason Demetriou, who seemed to have energy to spare, but we don't know at this stage whether the knock that saw him substituted will be enough to keep him in the treatment room. I think Morris has to start, preferably alongside Bradshaw largely because such a pairing might reduce the physical pressure on Bradshaw, Morris being the attacking handful that he can be. If O'Connor is fit enough to make the bench then surely he's fit enough for selection, and that could allow Pennington and Chambers to make more of the midfield - keep Mantom on the bench as back-up?

Prediction is always tricky, but I note that Bradford City have lost 4 League One games at home this season (Gillingham, Peterborough, Barnsley and Colchester United) and I think we should be able to come away with a 0-2 win on Saturday, goals from Morris and Hiwula-Mayifuila.

Staying with Colchester United for a moment - we will all be keeping a weather eye on their game on Saturday as they entertain Burton Albion, and recent form reveals some fascinating information about those two sides' most recent 10 games......in that category Burton Albion have gained 11 points, and Colchester United have got 15 !! Funny old game, as someone once said. :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Bradford City (A) April 23rd, 3pm

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 pm

After Tuesday's thrown away chance at the autos and the reports of 'leggy' 'tired' 'underperforming' 'lacking desire' 'short on ideas' and other general negative retorts from folk that were at the match, I get the feeling that the performance was similar, or indeed matched those at Sheffield & Oldham. ie going backwards, even though presenting a more attack minded line up, they were outplayed and out-manoeuvred by a mid table outfit with an appalling recent history.
So the omens are not good for a visit to the home of chasing Play Off contenders, (although they too lost on Tuesday) could present more than just a threat to a team which is sooooo inconsistent.
Looking forward to the day out, with another visit to England's worst 'stone floor & spitoon' pub, for a follow up encounter with the worlds strongest cider. I do however look forward to the actual match with a greater degree of trepidation!
Whitney has the passion, vision and desire for success, put can this 'team' deliver?
We certainly hope so, this will be a season defining fixture, no doubt about it. A sneaky 1-0 win? Yes? :)

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Nice big stadium big crowd 17,000+ 1,000+ saddlers we will win this with ease I think Bradford will be wary of getting knocks knowing they are going to be playing in the play offs hopefully they roll over and let us win. I'm looking forward to it haven't been to Bradford for a while a few pints of stones bitter before ko and a 3-0 win, 1025 Walsall fans.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:43 pm

This won't be won with ease by a long way, could be similar to Sheffield United if team don't start well.

1-1 at best I think. Hopefully Burton will mess up yet again which will keep things interesting for the two home games.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:37 am

I have a bad feeling about this one, nothing good has ever come out of Bradford in my lifetime, it's not even one of those Northern towns mentioned fondly in last of the summer wine or one you can romanticized about, I I bet even whippets leave there flat caps in the place.

Having said that fingers crossed for Saturday and safe travels to all those making the trip.

Here's hoping for a sneaky 1 nil but I suspect we will be lucky to escape with anything.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:29 am

Speaking to a mate of mine who's a City fan season ticket holder and he said if we score first we'll likely win as they hardly ever come back from a goal down. If they score first then they'll shut up shop. Got to get straight into them from the off and score.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 am

We'll draw 1-1 with Bradford, Burton will beat Col U, We'll then beat Shrewsbury, Burton will draw with Gillingham, we'll beat Fleetwood, we'll go into the last game of the season ahead of them on goal difference

End of premonition

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:22 pm

If you offered me a 0-0 now i would snatch your hand off.

I would be tempted to rotate a little, bring in Morris, and maybe Kinsella in midfield.

The worst time we could play a game like this. They will launch the ball into the box all game long and in Reid have the type of player we struggle against . Pace and Power.

Kneecap
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:46 pm

My first time at Bradford.

Any advice on away fan pubs?

NortonSaddler

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:19 pm

First goal (if there are any) is gonna be crucial in this game. Since january, we've struggled when the other team scores first. As someone posted earlier, bradford have the same problem. However, bradford are much like burton in that if they get the first goal, they often keep there noses in front for 1-0 and
2-1 wins. Also, we ourselves are pretty succesful when we score first. Cant think of any games that we havent won when we've scored first other than a couple of 1-1 draws, (crewe, sheff utd and peterborough spring to mind).

Fresh legs are definitely needed. If morris doesnt start saturday i will be surprised. I thought rico, hiwula, chambers and mantom all looked leggy tuesday. Bradders can come in for hiwula and taylor for rico but its gonna be hard to give mantom and chambers a rest, especially with kinsella probably filling in for demetriou (if hes still injured after tuesday).

Think i'll still be happy with a draw from this, however, i think it'll mean we have to win all three of the following games, 2 of which being at home. One last big push needed

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35 pm

NortonSaddler wrote:First goal (if there are any) is gonna be crucial in this game. Since january, we've struggled when the other team scores first. As someone posted earlier, bradford have the same problem. However, bradford are much like burton in that if they get the first goal, they often keep there noses in front for 1-0 and
2-1 wins. Also, we ourselves are pretty succesful when we score first. Cant think of any games that we havent won when we've scored first other than a couple of 1-1 draws, (crewe, sheff utd and peterborough spring to mind).

Fresh legs are definitely needed. If morris doesnt start saturday i will be surprised. I thought rico, hiwula, chambers and mantom all looked leggy tuesday. Bradders can come in for hiwula and taylor for rico but its gonna be hard to give mantom and chambers a rest, especially with kinsella probably filling in for demetriou (if hes still injured after tuesday).

Think i'll still be happy with a draw from this, however, i think it'll mean we have to win all three of the following games, 2 of which being at home. One last big push needed

Therin lies the problem!! We somehow become a weak, inconsistent team at home matches, which does not bode well for the first/second of the two tier 'play off' semi's. Therefore Auto promotion becomes our best option for advancement, so, we must start with a win at Bratfud on Saturday! Cus no doubt we'll' cock it up' again against the Shrews & Fleetwood!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I would definitely stick with a back 4 as Bradford like to get a lot of balls in the box as far as I know.

For me.

Etheridge
Demetriou (Kinsella if Demetriou is out)
Pennington
O'Connor
Taylor (for the height/gives Rico a rest.)

Mantom
Chambers
Sawyers

Morris
Bradshaw
Hiwula

That front 3 did a lot of damage to teams at the back end of last season, no reason why they can't work again. Would like to see Morris starting home games from now on as well.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:19 am

JonnyOwen wrote:I would definitely stick with a back 4 as Bradford like to get a lot of balls in the box as far as I know.

For me.

Etheridge
Downing
O'Connor

Mantom
Chambers
Sawyers

Morris
Bradshaw
Hiwula

That front 3 did a lot of damage to teams at the back end of last season, no reason why they can't work again. Would like to see Morris starting home games from now on as well.

Hope you don't mind the small adjustment in defence after reading the news regarding Pennington.

firreblade

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 am

Good Info as usual Welsh_Saddler, totally agree with you in the terms of Morris and Bradshaw they defiantly should get the nod, Pennington has now gone since you 'Welsh_Saddler' put this post up so JOC must play, really sorry Pennington has gone was hoping probable to see him and JOC partner together at the back by dropping Downing, not saying Downing ain't been playing good because he has and we need his height, but it would of been interesting to see how they partnered together. Mantom should be defiantly dropped 'maybe its me' but his the weak link and we have been carrying him for a while now, even when he last scored he was having a mere of a game but that was soon forgotten after he scored. I probably would also drop Milan and start Cookie, Milan was poor defensively against Swindon after Whit praised him publicly the game before HaHaHA about how his defensive part of his game is improving, he left Rico out to dry with two players attacking Rico most of the game which stopped him getting forward.

Prediction: 1-2 Walsall Hiwula & Bradshaw

firreblade

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:40 am

Leatherman wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:I would definitely stick with a back 4 as Bradford like to get a lot of balls in the box as far as I know.

For me.

Etheridge
Downing
O'Connor

Mantom
Chambers
Sawyers

Morris
Bradshaw
Hiwula

Hope you don't mind the small adjustment in defence after reading the news regarding Pennington.

I Defiantly wouldn't drop Rico, Milan left him out to dry against Swindon, he brings a different dimension when he plays plus since he has been put back to left back with won 3 draw 1 and the only reason we drew against Swindon was we lost the battle in Midfield and the players were tired.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 am

Must not lose game. Would be happy with a point. Ecstatic with a win.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Very nervous for this one. Will define our season if we match burtons result. I suspect like others an aerial bombardment tomorrow.

My 11 would be

Etheridge
Demetriou if fit
Joc
Downing
Henry

Chambers
Preston (I'd even start Osborne even with one leg in front of Mantom he's pissed me right off)

Morris
Sawyers
Lalkovic

Bradshaw

4231 formation.

Come.on the boys one big push

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Tight game but I can see us winning this one.. City need to be offensive and I reckon that'll help us..

1-2 to the Saddlers with goals from Jordi and a super strike from Mantom v the Bantams (only because he's coming in for some stick - rightly so, and he'll want to put things straight!)

Due to some pretty awful plannin on my part I'm gonna miss the last 3 games but my season ticket is being put to good use by my sons mate... I'll be watching listening and balling at events as they unfold (but from across the Atlantic!!)

God it's gonna be a nervous holiday :?

UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:18 pm

scott_powell wrote:Must not lose game. Would be happy with a point. Ecstatic with a win.

Yeah a point wouldn't be the end of the world even if Burton win.

Yes it would be a 5 point gap then but I then look at it as win the two home games (yes I know that might be a problem :lol: ) and Burton would need to beat Gillingham at home which isn't a gimme to still be ahead going into the last day. If that game was a draw then it would be level on points and I'd imagine Walsall would have a marginally better GD.

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:37 pm

1-1. Romaine.

If we do win Mantom will get the winner... i've given him some stick this week but he's got a goal in him when he's arsed.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:01 am

Genuinely excited about today. It feels big.

Matching or bettering Burton's result could well define how this season turns out.

I fancy Colchester today. They've got goals in them and Burton don't score. I also fancy us - we like it when the opposition are under pressure to win. I'd take both games finishing in a draw, but any better than that and it feels like we're in the box seats.

We've got a role to play today too. If you're 50/50 about today, I'd urge you to travel. If we take over 1,000 noisy fans it could make all the difference.

Come on!

TownSwift

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:56 am

too much to expect that other results will go our way again
an early goal for us (Tom), and it stays that way please...

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 pm

So Kinsella replaces Jase, and Taylor comes in at left back with Rico on the left wing and Meeelan on the bench? No Penners anywhere so JOC comes in.
Please prove me wrong but that line-up and formation does not fill me with any confidence!

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:39 pm

booster cogburn wrote:So Kinsella replaces Jase, and Taylor comes in at left back with Rico on the left wing and Meeelan on the bench? No Penners anywhere so JOC comes in.
Please prove me wrong but that line-up and formation does not fill me with any confidence!

penners as you put it is at everton

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Yeah soz, just read it on another thread.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Starting line-up against Bradford City:

Etheridge

Kinsella
Downing
O'Connor
Taylor

Forde
Mantom
Chambers
Henry

Sawyers
Hiwula-Mayifuila

Substitutes: Bradshaw, MacGillivray, Lalkovic, Preston, Morris, Cook, Sangha

Des Lynam

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:56 pm

2-0 saddlers... Mantom with an early goal, 80 minutes of backs to the wall with Etheridge making several world class saves, then Kieron Morris off the bench slams one in against the run of play in injury time... Not least because I had a fiver on him to score at any time.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:58 pm

booster cogburn wrote:So Kinsella replaces Jase, and Taylor comes in at left back with Rico on the left wing and Meeelan on the bench? No Penners anywhere so JOC comes in.

Agreed. Rico in front of Taylor has never worked as far as I'm concerned. A bit of a waste of a position.

Perhaps today, though.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:00 pm

With Bradshaw, Lalkovic, Morris and Cook on the bench it would seem that selection has been made to come away with a 0-0 result.

Come on, me babbies, prove me wrong!!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Early goal at Gigg Lane....... Bury 0 Millwall 1

And another one in Lancashire.... Wigan Athletic 1 Southend United 0

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season