Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) Tuesday 19th April, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Swindon Town (H) Tuesday 19th April, 7.45pm

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Only five scheduled games to go in this strange and exciting League One season, and we welcome Swindon Town in the hope that we get more out of the fixture than was the case back in November at The County Ground. Having dominated the game for most of the time we looked to be set for at least a point thanks to Tom Bradshaw's equaliser in the second half, only to come away with nothing after Louis Thompson's 90th minute winner. Dean Smith made one of his more accurate comments after the game when he said "I feel I should get on the phone and call the police and get somebody arrested for this result". That game was played on November 24th, and it's interesting to see which team was clear top of the League One table at that time.....Coventry City!!! :!:

Swindon Town are currently 16th in the League One table, only 6 points clear of the relegation scrap. Their goalscoring record has been greatly helped by the deeds of Nicky Ajose who has an impressive 23 goals to his credit, (Ajose is one of the 3 nominated "League One Player of the Year" names, along with our own Romaine Sawyers) and the team has netted only 3 less than we have - but the goals against column shows 68, against our 42. It seems that if you keep Ajose quiet you're in with a good chance of a result (which was what Bury did today!). Swindon's current form:

25 Mar Wigan Athletic (H) Lost 1-4
28 Mar Scunthorpe United (A) Lost 6-0
2 Apr Fleetwood Town (H) Drew 1-1
5 Apr Oldham Athletic (A) Lost 2-0
9 Apr Bradford City (A) Lost 1-0
16 Apr Bury (H) Lost 0-1

Jake Kean will probably be the obstacle to anything goal-bound - the Norwich keeper was signed on an initial 7-day emergency loan after receiving special Football League dispensation, their two senior keepers both being sidelined by injuries.

Jon Whitney may have more choice than usual in his team selection - James O'Connor is evidently match-fit or very near it, having been named for the bench against Southend United, and Tom Bradshaw may well be available. Having said that, we seem to have done well without Tom (didn't the same thing happen back in December?) and it's a good demonstration that we do have a degree of strength in depth throughout the squad.

As things stand we are 3 points behind Burton Albion with a game in hand - we also have a superior goal difference. Burton are at home to what will be a weakened Wigan Athletic side on Tuesday (they finished at Doncaster with only 10 men), so an automatic promotion place is by no means out of the question. A strange and exciting season indeed......... :D

Prediction time? I have to go for a Saddlers' win and 3 points - 3-0 the score, goals from Milan, Jordi and Romaine.

Walsallian7

Re: Swindon Town (H) Tuesday 19th April, 7.45pm

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:52 pm

It will be 3-1 to us.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Just don't understand why we seem to struggle against this lot (at their place this season springs to mind) but time to put that right - 3-0 with Milan, Mantom and Jordi on target

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:36 pm

Help required! The last two games I was unfortunate enough to witness were Sheff & Oldham, so as I am desperate to see the rejuvenated team, I am coming down for the Swindon match, I might even get to see a goal! :mrgreen:
So folks, can I pay at the gate or do I have to ring up for a ticket, and what 'special offer' mentioned on another thread, are they doing, particularly for old gits like me?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Help required! The last two games I was unfortunate enough to witness were Sheff & Oldham, so as I am desperate to see the rejuvenated team, I am coming down for the Swindon match, I might even get to see a goal! :mrgreen:
So folks, can I pay at the gate or do I have to ring up for a ticket, and what 'special offer' mentioned on another thread, are they doing, particularly for old gits like me?

Sorry, it's all sold out but I can let you have a ticket in the blue pop/pot noodle stand for £100............. cash

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:09 pm

AM...with your track record is it wise to come down? :D Only joking ...lets hope you see some goals in the right end!!!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Cully wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Help required! The last two games I was unfortunate enough to witness were Sheff & Oldham, so as I am desperate to see the rejuvenated team, I am coming down for the Swindon match, I might even get to see a goal! :mrgreen:

Sorry, it's all sold out but I can let you have a ticket in the blue pop/pot noodle stand for £100............. cash

Lets haggle....... £110 cash, £115 card, that's the best I can do! :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:47 pm

Big question for me is, if Bradshaw's fit, does he play? Personally, I'd keep the same team as yesterday but it's a brave move to leave him out if he's fully fit.

Recent results suggest Swindon are rubbish, but I know better than to assume we'll find it easy to get three points - not least because there's a ticket offer on, which has historically meant more fans in the ground to watch us lose. :(

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:05 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Big question for me is, if Bradshaw's fit, does he play? Personally, I'd keep the same team as yesterday but it's a brave move to leave him out if he's fully fit.

Recent results suggest Swindon are rubbish, but I know better than to assume we'll find it easy to get three points - not least because there's a ticket offer on, which has historically meant more fans in the ground to watch us lose. :(

I'd be inclined to keep the same team as yesterday, but maybe swap Downing for O'Connor if he's match fit. I think the system we've played against Gillingham and Southend has worked well, so i'd keep Hiwula in the team, and Bradshaw on the bench if he's available.

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:15 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Big question for me is, if Bradshaw's fit, does he play? Personally, I'd keep the same team as yesterday but it's a brave move to leave him out if he's fully fit.

I'd be inclined to keep the same team as yesterday, but maybe swap Downing for O'Connor if he's match fit. I think the system we've played against Gillingham and Southend has worked well, so i'd keep Hiwula in the team, and Bradshaw on the bench if he's available.

We've won 5 out of 5 in the league this season when Bradshaw hasn't featured so no rush to get him back in!
I would agree that O'Connor for Downing would be a change worth making.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:28 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:

I wouldn't change a thing. It takes time to build a relationship between team mates and Pennington and Downing looked OK yesterday. Sorry O'Connor. Bench for me mate.

Also, being a superstitious fool when it comes to football. I wouldn't let anyone in who didn't wear the same underwear and socks and sit in the same place as Saturday. Anyone whose thinking of attending must not, at all costs step on cracks in the pavement or, if you are Sallian, look right before crossing the road.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Change O'Connor for Downing, Bradshaw for Jordy and Morris for Lalkovic.

I've no time for ridiculous superstitions and will be wearing my lucky hat on Tuesday.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Unchanged for me but with Bradshaw on the bench. We need to keep up our momentum and changing the team could halt that. What players to come off the bench though, shows how deep a squad we have now compared to previous seasons.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:17 pm

Jordy and Romaine seems to work well together.

Tough call to leave O'Connor out.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Swap Downing for O'Connor if he's fit. Change nothing else. Bradshaw doesn't occupy defenders as well at Hiwula does. Keep the momentum. If we need a goal bring Bradshaw on with half an hour to go.

2-0 ... Boom.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Swindon's front two are pretty good...not just Ajose but Obika is a good forward at this level aswell.

Recent results indicate the rest of the team is pretty rubbish.

2-1 win.

Wigan to win 2-0.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 pm

the key is that we HAVE to keep an unchanged team.(with the exception of joc for downing) whether or not bradshaw is fit. he would be a great player to come off the bench anyway. make a difference from cook. i think this is a nailed on victory. and by a decent margin. 3-0 :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:53 pm

I like the pace upfront Jordy provides, he creates extra space for Sawyers and Milan which I think has been a significant factor in the increased amount of chances created in the last two games.

I don't think Tom should walk straight back into the starting 11 but what a fantastic option to bring off the bench with 20 minutes left if it's 0-0.

NortonSaddler

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Unchanged side with maybe JOC for downing.

Like soccerHQ says, the space jordi provides with his pacy runs has been the big factor in the last few games. He gets defenders running at their own goal and makes them nervy. I think bradshaw can be to easy to play against on his own cus he just lacks the pace to really get the defenders sweating. Jordies pace Is also the reason why romaine has suddenly looked good again; he has space in the pocket to play in. Noticed we took shots from outside the box a lot more against southend too. Think we had 20 shots in total. Same again tuesday and i think we'll win. Keep ajose shackled and i think we'll have a clean sheet as well.

Heres hoping we're in the autos come 9:30 tuesday night!

shady53

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:07 am

Also, being a superstitious fool when it comes to football. I wouldn't let anyone in who didn't wear the same underwear and socks and sit in the same place as Saturday. Anyone whose thinking of attending must not, at all costs step on cracks in the pavement or, if you are Sallian, look right before crossing the road.[/quote]

I`d much prefer if he looked left :lol:

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:25 am

Traditionally this would have Walsall defeat all over it. A should win against a team in poor form at the wrong end of the table. Nothing to lose for them and the usual cocktail of us plying the pressure cooker when everything isn't going swimmingly. How often does that happen?

Got to go for Walsall win however. I think best result would be Wigan to beat Burton as well, we'll catch them once the Brewers are done with! Win promotion on telly to Fleetwood and then the title away at the Vale.

COME ON YOU SADDLERS!!!!!

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:16 am

Not so sure about leaving Bradshaw out completely, I feel like Tom would have probably taken at least a couple of the chances Hiwula had on Saturday before he scored.

I'd be tempted to have Hiwula out on the left instead of Lalkovic, with TB up front and Sawyers as high up the pitch as possible.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 am

Never enjoyed going to watch us play this fixture, Boxing Day couple of years ago springs to mind but still feel we are due to give someone a taytering.

3-0 Walsall, with Hiwula-Hoop x2 and Forde on the scoresheet.

UTS

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Hiwula's direct running is causing the opposition all sorts of problems and creating chances, for me he starts.

Just spoke to the ticket office they are warning fans to turn up real early due to good ticket sales! Hopefully a 3-0 win infront of a bumper crowd.

UTS

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I would keep the same 11 as Saturday but bring in O'Connor (If fit) for Downing. Downing didn't do a lot wrong Saturday, but we are all aware what a colossus O'Connor has been for us this season. Even if Bradshaw is fit enough to start, I would name him as a substitute and bring him on at some point for impact. Fantastic to see the club doing yet another ticket offer, they really do want this promotion. Now lets hope for another 5000+ crowd with the same level of energy and noise as what we had for large parts of Saturday's game, BELIEVE!

My prediction is a 3-0 win in what will be a special night under the lights at the Bescot, UTS!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:04 pm

Can't make it after all, but hoping for a thumping win, no more of this 0-0 with two minutes to go nonsense...pleeease!
On the Bradshaw debate, as others have mooted, I too would like to see the same team again for tomorrow, with a possibly fit again Bradshaw on the bench as a sub. He has struggled to make an impact in some of the more recent games, not only because of being shackled by opposition gorillas, but not getting the proper 'service' from midfield,
(or as we old un's would prefer...half backs and wingers). and this 'back to goal' stance that he has adopted adds little to our goal threat.
We appeared to present a more attack minded approach on Saturday, lets see more of the same tomorrow, and please, no injuries for the game of the season at Bradford this Saturday!!

PT
Site Addict

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:46 pm

CooperTheSaddler wrote:Now lets hope for another 5000+ crowd.

It's looking good for at least that. Every seat in my block has gone (NM3) with lots of other blocks having turned green (limited availability) as the day has worn on.

It won't sell out tomorrow but I expect there will be large queues in the lead up to the game so it would be wise to get there early if you need to pick up/buy your ticket on the night.

As it looks like a decent crowd again, I think it would be good if we moved the segregation sheet down to the next entrance in the community stand, thereby giving our own fans access to some of the best views in the stadium if you like your football from the halfway line. Having a sterile area half the length of the pitch feels well OTT and makes the ground look empty on the telly.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:53 pm

PT wrote:
CooperTheSaddler wrote:Now lets hope for another 5000+ crowd.

It's looking good for at least that. Every seat in my block has gone (NM3) with lots of other blocks having turned green (limited availability) as the day has worn on.

It won't sell out tomorrow but I expect there will be large queues in the lead up to the game so it would be wise to get there early if you need to pick up/buy your ticket on the night.

As it looks like a decent crowd again, I think it would be good if we moved the segregation sheet down to the next entrance in the community stand, thereby giving our own fans access to some of the best views in the stadium if you like your football from the halfway line. Having a sterile area half the length of the pitch feels well OTT and makes the ground look empty on the telly.

I reckon you may be right, I am taking 4 newbies tomorrow who may i add approached me about attending :lol:

The band wagon is rolling in to town!!!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 pm

"Expected to win" games like this have often been our downfall. We can't afford any/many slip ups. We seem to have our belief back. Bring it on, believe :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Sorry that sounded a bit arrogant, wasn't meant that way. I certainly was not implying anything about that famous quote from a Stevenage fan who told me and WAW that "they should be beating teams like Walsall". We did gufaaaaaw for a long time :D Don't like Swindon but my claim about "expected to win" game is based on current form.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season