Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) April 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
coop63
Glitterati

Re: Southend United (H) April 16th, 3pm

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:Would you believe Doncaster Rovers 2 Wigan Athletic 1 ???????????? :D :D :D (Andy Butler - Again!!!)

Burton at Doncaster for final game.Come on Andy Butler get us promoted.

It was 3-1 to Donny and AB got 2 of them!!

Agree with your sentiment for the last game of the season - I'd rather it be in our hands but if we need a result from up there it would be sweet if Andy was involved in the outcome! :D
Last edited by coop63 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Great game, only lacking in goals to make it less stressful, never thought we would beat their keeper today, great saves. Kept plugging away and got what we deserved... initially I was surprised the goal was given, having seen the highlights, it certainly looked like it was over the line. Anyway... whatever, the history books will show it was a goal, and thats all that matters! :mrgreen:

SWS1

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 pm

DavidWFC2010 wrote:Draw the needed result for Wigan v Burton on Tuesday, 3 points us is what we desperately need!

Surely a Wigan win would be best for us: let them gerron wi' it while we steam past Bairtun! That'll day me!

Great couple of results have put us in the box seat: we can't ask much more than that from the position we was in when we had to SOD it.
:D :D :D :D UTS! :D :D :D :D

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:46 pm

SWS1 wrote:
DavidWFC2010 wrote:Draw the needed result for Wigan v Burton on Tuesday, 3 points us is what we desperately need!

Surely a Wigan win would be best for us: let them gerron wi' it while we steam past Bairtun! That'll day me!

Great couple of results have put us in the box seat: we can't ask much more than that from the position we was in when we had to SOD it.
:D :D :D :D UTS! :D :D :D :D

Well said - leave Wigan to it as far as I'm concerned coz I can't see them slipping up again..

Today's performance was spot on and JW has some nice options for the remaining games - I'd leave the current team as it is for now coz they are finding their flair again and Jordi looks right up for it..

UTS

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:56 pm

A great performance and result made all the more satisfying by how much it annoyed the odious Phil Brown, who not only said the words quoted above about the ball not crossing the line, he also said that he couldn't see it from where he was (a long way away, behind a crowd of players) and therefore didn't know how the linesman could have seen it (not a long way away, unimpeded view).

Back in our own hands now. Can't believe we're still in this position given the run we had, but we've got the momentum back now. This was night and day compared with the last time I saw us play (Sheffield) and I'm so happy to see us back to our best formation and the best players being picked for their positions. Who'd have thought that could be the answer!?

Everyone played well but I thought Sawyers was the pick. Their keeper really was magnificent and they scrambled a couple of goal-line clearances so I thought it might be one of those days, but it was, particularly given other results.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:12 pm

do you know what. i think we will sneak that second place if we keep playing the way we are. in fact the first place isn't impossible if other results go for us. i said a while back that burton had lost it. and in fact i thought that we had, after our 2 losses :oops: .but it's amazing what a couple of wins and a couple of results going our way can do.apart from bradford we haven't got to play anyone. so our destiny is in our own hands. and although i wouldn't mind another trip to wembley to exercise the ghosts of last time. i would much rather us get automatic promotion.
CUM ON ME BABIES :wink:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 pm

chunkster wrote:do you know what. i think we will sneak that second place if we keep playing the way we are. in fact the first place isn't impossible if other results go for us. i said a while back that burton had lost it. and in fact i thought that we had, after our 2 losses :oops: .but it's amazing what a couple of wins and a couple of results going our way can do.apart from bradford we haven't got to play anyone. so our destiny is in our own hands. and although i wouldn't mind another trip to wembley to exercise the ghosts of last time. i would much rather us get automatic promotion.

You can be arrested for that

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:20 pm

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:35 pm

scott_powell wrote:
chunkster wrote:do you know what. i think we will sneak that second place if we keep playing the way we are. in fact the first place isn't impossible if other results go for us. i said a while back that burton had lost it. and in fact i thought that we had, after our 2 losses :oops: .but it's amazing what a couple of wins and a couple of results going our way can do.apart from bradford we haven't got to play anyone. so our destiny is in our own hands. and although i wouldn't mind another trip to wembley to exercise the ghosts of last time. i would much rather us get automatic promotion.

You can be arrested for that
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:54 pm

I was impressed by Bentley (possibly the first and only time I'll ever say that!)

The past two home games, we've only been winning for about 8 minutes (2 minutes + 5 minutes added time today & 1 minute v Colchester, but won them both.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:23 am

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:18 am

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 am

The debate on was it or wasn't it on the goal whilst completely moot is also freezing time at the wrong point.

Everyone if freezeframing at the point the ball bounced on the back of the line but as all of us behind the goal saw, the ball then bounced further towards the net after that and was well over by the time the lad hooked it clear.

Anyway, I hope the doubt eats away at Phil Brown who's both current and next teams appear to be "dropping like a stone"

Titch

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:48 am

Doesn't look in from the highlights, but it's not a great angle to judge it properly.
1-0 says it is and I don't care :lol:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:11 am

Watch the assistant,he didn't hesitate for a second.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:14 am

Not perfect by any means but mossive improvement from some recent games: the flair and dash is back.

The result would have been more convincing if it hadn't been for Dan Bentley in goal who along with Adam Barrett were frustratingly (for us anyway) excellent for the Shrimpers.

Couldn't tell if the ball crossed the line or not from where we were but, hey, who cares? The linesman was quick with his flag so I suppose he was pretty sure.

MoM was, I think (especially for his first half performance) Henry. Demitriou wasn't too shabby either. Etheridge pulled off another couple of decent saves which were all the more remarkable as he'd had fudge all to do for most of the game.

All in all an excellent performance from all and sundry and the fans were brill too.

Roll on Tuesday.

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 am

:D Offer here,

"WOKE UP THIS MORNING FEELING FINE.....................................................................................SOMETHING TELLS ME I"M INTO SOMETHING GOOD"

:D Offer

firreblade

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:10 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:from the Southend forum,stop celerating it was 0-0.

Some bullet Points from Phil's post match bbc Essex interview just now:

1. Hugely praised Adam Barrett for his performance today
2. The ball didnt cross the line for Walsall's goal, it was cleared off the line
3. Bentley was beaten by the linesmans decsion, not a Walsall goal (lino was pressurised by a small pitch invasion from the home fans)
4. Dissapointed that we have conceeded 22 goals this season from set pieces (12 from corners)
5. He will continue to field the strongest team possible until the end of the season & will not allow any of the players to think that they are already lying on the beach somewhere.

2. The ball didn't cross the line for Walsall's goal',

Mr Brown is going to look like a prat once again when he looks at the replay. I was there on the corner of the homeserve stand with the goalie line right in front of me, so to all our fans who have any doubts about it going over the line DON'T it was way over the line and there defender was standing on the line when he reach well inside the goal to clear the ball. I am not just saying this because I am a Walsall fan or being bias its just the facts.

Mr Phil Brown learn to think and get your facts right before you open your gob.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:37 am

For Phil Brown to say the linesmans decision was affected by a tiny pitch invasion on the opposite side of the pitch, mid way through the celebrations, is one of the most ludicrous claims I've heard all year.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:50 am

Their keeper was unreal, the sort of performance where a scout had came to watch Rico and Sawyers but went away with the Keeper on his mind.

Great win, everyone at least an 8/10.

Just need to pick up an award in Manchester tonight for a great weekend.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:00 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:from the Southend forum,stop celerating it was 0-0.

Some bullet Points from Phil's post match bbc Essex interview just now:

1. Hugely praised Adam Barrett for his performance today
2. The ball didnt cross the line for Walsall's goal, it was cleared off the line
3. Bentley was beaten by the linesmans decsion, not a Walsall goal (lino was pressurised by a small pitch invasion from the home fans)
4. Dissapointed that we have conceeded 22 goals this season from set pieces (12 from corners)
5. He will continue to field the strongest team possible until the end of the season & will not allow any of the players to think that they are already lying on the beach somewhere.

Reading the Football League paper it seems the Orange One is now trying to backtrack, slightly. He's arguing that if he couldn't tell, how could the linesman give it :roll: Watching the highlights, the defender's standing foot clearly straddles the line, and he hooks it away in the opposite direction to which he's facing-so it had to be over the line then, wherever it bounced . He also seems to acknowledge that the pitch invasion was after the award, but still takes a dig about how good it must have made the linesman feel. The man is a prize twerp.

There's also a piece about Witney in that paper.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Played really well yesterday. The circumstances of the win might have been slightly fortunate, but no-one watching the 90 minutes could have argued we didn't deserve to win.

The momentum feels like it's swung back in our favour again and people at the club are doing all they can to make it count (cheap tickets for Swindon & Fleetwood). Bring it on!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:23 pm

The Bonks's Mild Comedy Moment of the Match award goes to Southend's 'Health and Fitness Coach' coming onto the pitch.
Let us know next time you're coming to Walsall, chap - we'll arrange a mobility scooter for you.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:26 pm

WarsawPact wrote:The Bonks's Mild Comedy Moment of the Match award goes to Southend's 'Health and Fitness Coach' coming onto the pitch.
Let us know next time you're coming to Walsall, chap - we'll arrange a mobility scooter for you.

Second comedy moment must be the Shrimpers fan up for the half time hit the cross bar challenge
getting soaked by the sprinkler.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:12 pm

PT wrote:The debate on was it or wasn't it on the goal whilst completely moot is also freezing time at the wrong point.

Everyone if freezeframing at the point the ball bounced on the back of the line but as all of us behind the goal saw, the ball then bounced further towards the net after that and was well over by the time the lad hooked it clear.

Anyway, I hope the doubt eats away at Phil Brown who's both current and next teams appear to be "dropping like a stone"

After half a dozen attempts, managed to freeze the action the split second before the defender hooks the ball away from behind him with his right foot. Not only is his left foot planted on the line, he is looking behind him at the ball, as is the keeper. It's at least a good foot over the line and not even close to NOT being a goal. It dropped like a stone over the line, Mr Brown.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:46 pm

Think everyone played well yesterday but Forde deserves a special mention. Goes under the radar somewhat but he worked tirelessly throughout the whole match. Very solid performance.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:25 pm

Super Gabor wrote:Think everyone played well yesterday but Forde deserves a special mention. Goes under the radar somewhat but he worked tirelessly throughout the whole match. Very solid performance.

In Lalkovic, Forde & Morris, I think we've got a great blend of pace, skill, the ability to beat a fullback, score from long range, and even cover defensively when the fullbacks get forward. The difficulty is knowing which two to pick every week.

I think Morris has been really unlucky not to have played more games this season - particularly when Lalkovic, as we saw yesterday, struggles to play well in back-to-back games.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:57 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Think everyone played well yesterday but Forde deserves a special mention. Goes under the radar somewhat but he worked tirelessly throughout the whole match. Very solid performance.

In Lalkovic, Forde & Morris, I think we've got a great blend of pace, skill, the ability to beat a fullback, score from long range, and even cover defensively when the fullbacks get forward. The difficulty is knowing which two to pick every week.

I think Morris has been really unlucky not to have played more games this season - particularly when Lalkovic, as we saw yesterday, struggles to play well in back-to-back games.

I thought Lalkovic played well yesterday :?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:18 pm

scott_powell wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I thought Lalkovic played well yesterday :?

So did I.
He was dead on his feet when they subbed him. He was sharp and definitely up for it. He's fudge ace.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season