Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) April 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Southend United (H) April 16th, 3pm

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:27 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:fudge the stats, we were superb for most of the half

They ay too bad

Really good game

Happy birthday, you old gimmer............. :D

Cheers Welsh.

Perfect day so far with us winning and the Vile getting relegated :lol:

I'm hoping to have a ride up on Tuesday if you are interested?

If Carlsberg did Birthdays......

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:30 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

They ay too bad

Really good game

Cheers Welsh.

I'll be taking the female brat back to University (Reading) on Tuesday - I may well head home via Bescot......after the performance we witnessed at Swindon it would be good to see the lads set the record straight!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Shouted myself oss this afternoon.

Credit to Southend who came for a game of football. That was the best performance I have witnessed by us for some time. So much energy and movement. From 20 mins to 70 mins I thought we were superb and just as it looked like we had run out of steam we get the goal. There was no doubt in my mind that it was over the line.

Get your cocks out ready, we can do this :D

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:34 pm

from the Southend forum,stop celerating it was 0-0.

Some bullet Points from Phil's post match bbc Essex interview just now:

1. Hugely praised Adam Barrett for his performance today
2. The ball didnt cross the line for Walsall's goal, it was cleared off the line
3. Bentley was beaten by the linesmans decsion, not a Walsall goal (lino was pressurised by a small pitch invasion from the home fans)
4. Dissapointed that we have conceeded 22 goals this season from set pieces (12 from corners)
5. He will continue to field the strongest team possible until the end of the season & will not allow any of the players to think that they are already lying on the beach somewhere.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:36 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

They ay too bad

Really good game

Cheers Welsh.

:D

Good atmosphere up top today Funk. Had to move second half as the missus was not impressed with the noise from the banging on the back of the stand :(

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Superb result. Roll on Tuesday and a Saturday

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:40 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:from the Southend forum,stop celerating it was 0-0.

Some bullet Points from Phil's post match bbc Essex interview just now:

1. Hugely praised Adam Barrett for his performance today
2. The ball didnt cross the line for Walsall's goal, it was cleared off the line
3. Bentley was beaten by the linesmans decsion, not a Walsall goal (lino was pressurised by a small pitch invasion from the home fans)
4. Dissapointed that we have conceeded 22 goals this season from set pieces (12 from corners)
5. He will continue to field the strongest team possible until the end of the season & will not allow any of the players to think that they are already lying on the beach somewhere.

I'm pretty sure the pitch invasion occurred after the decision was given.
Brown is probably butt hurt about his dropping like a stone comment coming back to haunt him!

Walsallian7

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Walsallian7 wrote:It's absolutely vital we scrap out a scruffy 1-0 tomorrow to keep the pressure on. Henry with a 90+3 deflected winner, COYR.

There you go, I'm right, Kevin the teenager (funk hit the fanny) is wrong. Sallian? Do me a favour, I am the one and only ------ ----

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Walsallian7 wrote:
Walsallian7 wrote:It's absolutely vital we scrap out a scruffy 1-0 tomorrow to keep the pressure on. Henry with a 90+3 deflected winner, COYR.

There you go, I'm right, Kevin the teenager (funk hit the fanny) is wrong. Sallian? Do me a favour, I am the one and only ------ ----

Whatever.....but if you start acting as he did, you will go the same way as he did - Kapeesh?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:50 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

They ay too bad

Really good game

Cheers Welsh.

:D

Good atmosphere up top today Funk. Had to move second half as the missus was not impressed with the noise from the banging on the back of the stand :(

I thought the crowd really were the 12th man today, fair play to everyone. More chants seemed to carry across the stand this afternoon as well.
Was it 5700 or 5300? Must've been more than 5300 there.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Walsallian7 wrote:

You're fooling no one fella :wink:
Last edited by chestersaddler on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Walsallian7

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Walsallian7 wrote:

Whatever.....but if you start acting as he did, you will go the same way as he did - Kapeesh?

I don't know what he did mate, ??????

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Walsallian7 wrote:

Mmm, wasn't sallian always right?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Fantastic team performance today. Hiwula was excellent and could easily have had a hat trick but I think Bradshaw would have buried the chances Jordy had. Today's stats make it all the more puzzling why we have played hoof ball up to a lone Bradshaw for so many games this season.

Roll on Tuesday! UTS
Last edited by DonningtonSaddler on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Quick word on Dan Bentley for Southend. Best keeper I've seen at the Bescot for quite some time. Incredible display.

Walsallian7

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Guest wrote:
Walsallian7 wrote:

Mmm, wasn't sallian always right?

Dunno Guesty babes, I know I am though :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Agree about the Southend goalie...he was excellent and two of his saves were top drawer....with a lesser player it would have been 3 or 4.
We were excellent today..not a weak link and thoroughly deserved our victory although it came late. I would just like to add a word of praise to whoever got Pennington in...he was outstanding today and is real quality.He could have been man of the match but was pipped by the excellent Henry who was in his best position of left back.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:18 pm

scott_powell wrote:Quick word on Dan Bentley for Southend. Best keeper I've seen at the Bescot for quite some time. Incredible display.

He's been linked with a few prem and championship clubs so he won't be playing at this level next season.

Think he's actually out of contract so Sarfend will have to see what they can get from a tribunal.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:22 pm

Wow where have these last 2 displays come from?? We look full of energy and more than anything we are creating good chances again. After today I really am starting to believe. Absolutely love Pennington his play is aggressive and looks like he would run through a brick wall for the cause.

As others have said huge respect to their keeper what a talented lad brilliant.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:27 pm

The goal was scrappy but blimey, we didnt half deserve it.

We played superbly today and it would have been a comfortable win had it not been for the outstanding Bentley in goal.

They lads looked very tired though at the end, the Saturday, Tuesay thing might not be the best thing for them right now but we must keep digging these results out.

Cannot fault one player today really. It was very hard to pick a MOTM. Bossed the game.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Today's performance has got to be one of the best I have seen us give in recent years, not in terms of goals scored or heroic, backs to the wall defensive displays but for sheer force of will and maintaining focus throughout the entire match.
Bentley's performance was the only reason Southend were not a beaten team by half-time; he was magnificent, a fact that seemed to be acknowledged at the end by the number of Saddlers players who went up to him. Etheridge did not pale in comparison either, although he had less work to do, he made at least three really good saves to deny them a goal.
Hard to single out a performance above any other but I thought Pennington was really in the groove today.
If Andy Butler needed to do anything to reinforce his place in the hearts and memories of Saddlers fans then he has surely done it today by scoring twice in five minute to help defeat 'Moneybags Wigan' and reel them back in after Grigg opened the scoring for them. Allied to other results going our way, a great day all round.
Roll on Bradford, a big occasion, no doubt a big crowd and the stage all set for another epic away day. Lets all get ourselves down there.
Last edited by mel58 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 pm

We were sat in the fam stand level with the goal line. The ball was easily over the line, the lino giving it straight away. The invasion was on the opposite side of the pitch!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:51 pm

Paulus68 wrote:We were sat in the fam stand level with the goal line. The ball was easily over the line, the lino giving it straight away. The invasion was on the opposite side of the pitch!

That maybe your opinion but Phil brown was on the half way line and had a much better angle to judge from.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Paulus68 wrote:We were sat in the fam stand level with the goal line. The ball was easily over the line, the lino giving it straight away. The invasion was on the opposite side of the pitch!

Agree it was easily over the line!

Red Sonja

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I was in the Homeserve Stand, Block J which is level with the goal line. It was definitely a goal. When do we get goal line technology in League 1 and the Championship?

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Achieving a win was the most important thing today and happily we did that, together with the results elsewhere making it even more so.
Southend played quite open which largely allowed us to play fairly freely and as such we created a lot of opportunities. My only criticism would be that we weren't clinical enough and combined with an impressive performance from their keeper, we missed a chance to improve our goal difference.
Every player did reasonably well and bar a couple of bits of defensive slackness we weren't overly tested. Southend had a few quality snap shots that brought the best out of Etheridge, but overall they can't complain about the defeat.
Hopefully Swindon, Shrewsbury and Fleetwood will play similarly to Southend as that improves our chances of beating them, as opposed to the highly effective pressing game that Rochdale did to us when we couldn't cope.
With the timing of the goal, another memorable day at Bescot.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Great game great result and 3 points well deserved.

Thanks to a brilliant display by Bently in goal I had settled for 0-0 draw but lads never stopped going forward and got goal they deserved.

Sitting in OAP stand ball was easily over line and pitch invasion after ref gave it Brown is idiot .

PT
Site Addict

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Back to the way we were back in August. Brilliant.

Their keeper saved them from a drubbing though Jordy and Kieran missing open goals had nowt to do with their keeper.

Everyone, with maybe the exception of Milan,at least an 8 out of 10 with Rico rightly named MOTM.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:35 pm

One of those games today where the result was far more important than the performance but has it happened, ironically it was a performance that deserved a bigger margin in the result!!

I'm very happy with the performance overall and on another day we could have been 3-0 up at halftime and gone on to win the game convincingly from there but their keeper had one of those outstanding games and I did wonder if we would ever beat him!

Etheridge also made a couple of great saves and credit to them for trying to play and making it a very entertaining game..

I took someone with me today and it was his first Walsall match - he was impressed with our style of play but couldn't work out why Romaine doesn't shoot - I did tell him that was quite normal but also that he scored a screamer at Blackpool but that just seemed to deepen his confusion..

No moaning from me though - it's all falling into place for a cracking end to the season and I just loved the passion showed by JW towards the fans at the end... No question that he wants it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Would you believe Doncaster Rovers 2 Wigan Athletic 1 ???????????? :D :D :D (Andy Butler - Again!!!)

Burton at Doncaster for final game.Come on Andy Butler get us promoted.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season