Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Apr 12, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Apr 12, 7.45pm

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Brilliant stuff :)

A real 'do or die' performance by the sounds of it.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:We seem to be holding our own, and presenting an attacking format, think Milan will have made the difference.
One goal will do it, for either team.

What did I say!!!!!!!

Gillingham 3 wins from 10 at 9.40pm I think. :wink:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:34 pm

Gills fans applauding Sawyers off apparently.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:35 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:We seem to be holding our own, and presenting an attacking format, think Milan will have made the difference.
One goal will do it, for either team.

What did I say!!!!!!!

Gillingham 3 wins from 10 at 9.40pm I think. :wink:

OK OK couldn't care a jot about being proved wrong, as long as my beloved team start playing decent footy again, and the dream is still on!!
Come on me babbies!!!
As someone above says...same team again on Saturday please...shove a good mauling down Browns throat...pleeeese!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Gripper wrote:Romaine Sawyers, the best player in League One.

In the top 50 of Football League players for the season in the latest copy of FourFourTwo Sawyers is at (27) and Bradshaw (17). Funnily enough, Bradley Dack (8) is the top rated League One player.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 pm

er 2-1 final score..

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Bummer.....spoiled our goal difference advantage letting THAT one in!!

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Won - thank fudge for that.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:43 pm

first double of the season?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:45 pm

perhaps us optimists are right....onwards and hopefully UPWARDS!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

WarsawPact wrote:first double of the season?

Nah, that was Donny.

kshammer
Site Addict

BathSaddler wrote:

In the top 50 of Football League players for the season in the latest copy of FourFourTwo Sawyers is at (27) and Bradshaw (17). Funnily enough, Bradley Dack (8) is the top rated League One player.

He can't be.

He needs to not be able to trap a bag of cement, but run about like a loon to be a top player.

:wink:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:50 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:first double of the season?

Nah, that was Donny.

That is the most significant win of the season for us. We are now back in with an automatic promotion chance.

Not many teams will beat Gillingham twice this season.

:D

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Excellent result. Well done team, hopefully this'll curtail some of the melodrama we've had on here recently.

Amazing that we're 6 points clear of 7th with only 15 points left to play for them. Realistically they're the only team that can dump us out of the play-offs now. I'd even go as far as saying two wins out of six will be enough. Definitely looking more up than down!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Soaking up the positivity....buzzing again!

Good following tonight all things considered & a deserved 3 points for the faithful that travelled.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:58 pm

BathSaddler wrote:

Good to hear...(except the bit about Dack) Did Rico make the cut mate? After his latest nod if he's missed out it is a complete travesty.

Oh and a belated huge pat on the back of the 204 who made the trip tonight, you could've said Fleetwood was hardcore but IMO this is something else, unreal.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:00 pm

Wow if Sawyers plays well so does the team.

Interesting to note we created a lot more chances without Bradshaw as the only focal point.

Win Saturday and Tuesday and I reckon we may find ourselves in the driving seat. Just off to eat some humble pie :D

UTS

SWS1

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:03 pm

Wizzo! :D
Now why can't we beat the rubbish teams???? :?

BigSillyFool

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Massive result. Good to see JW didn't take my drunken advice and play Preston up front, from the commentary it sounded like the boys just got better and better as the game went on. Huge tip of the cap to those who made the trip, awesome effort.

Mazza01 wrote:Wow if Sawyers plays well so does the team.

Interesting to note we created a lot more chances without Bradshaw as the only focal point.

Win Saturday and Tuesday and I reckon we may find ourselves in the driving seat. Just off to eat some humble pie :D

UTS

Abso-bloody-lutely. Can see Burton dropping at least 3 points over the next 2 games and we have 2 very winnable games. Not going to try and predict anything though!

UTS as always.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 pm

that result tonight was no mistake the best result of the season

the difference in the league table is massive and lifts the hope of the fans and players.

we got 6 cup finals now if we win 3 well be in play offs win 5 and I'm sure well grab second spot

home to southend Swindon shrewsbury and Fleetwood no disrespect to these teams but there all winnable
Bradford away is massive but a point would be nice then if we got any chance going to vale then how big will that match become!

a special mention to the 200 fans that went tonight you are excellent and I cant praise you all enough.
would love to have been there but opted for sheff utd and Oldham instead due to being a Saturday.
well done all tonight lets get this play off spot wrapped up and then see how far we can go.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:11 pm

Terrific 2nd half - breaking up midfield and moving the ball forward quickly.
Sawyers was immense - he made some sublime passes to set up attacks - although his only slightly short ball of the half prompted the 6 morons to shout for him to be taken off....
We looked very comfortable after the second goal - even having time to put Chesney on to make it a more "interesting" last few minutes.
Defence looked solid, with the only blemish on the performance being Downing's daft handball.
Rico and Jason bombing forward again was great to see.
Oh, and Etheridge was excellent.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Rico starting at left back and the team winning, well I never.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 pm

As good as Bradshaw is at poaching goals, the frequent hamstring injuries have robbed him of half a yard of pace I think so while you'd still want him around, Hiwula in the lone striker role gives defenders something else to worry about as he can run and drag defenders out of position so gives more space for Sawyers who sounded like he had his best game of the season.

Recalling Meelan was a very good call as was Henry going back to left back.

I remain cautious as when did Walsall last win two home games in a row, there's always a sting in the tail at the Bescot.

Would be happy with 4 points, get something at Bradford and see how things stand for the final 3 games, 7 points could be enough from that.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Thought we were poor first half, no one really getting more than a 6/10, except etherise who pulled off 2 great saves and saved the penalty.

Force missed a good opportunity to score with his head, and Sawyers ducked out of a header, for which I rebuked him, his reply was to turn round and shrug his shoulders.

Going in at 0-0 at half time, despite being the poorer side, I had a feeling we'd score first, and when we score first away from home we rarely lose.

First half we were seemingly scared to shoot, but you can always rely on Milan, whether fit or not, confident or not, you can count of him to create something from nothing - that's why he needs to start every game from now til the end of the season. Terrific step over, turn of pace and finish and suddenly Gillingham had to come out and play.

We could have had 3 more, but we were pretty wasteful in front of goal - Sawyers declining to shoot again, Morris just a little too slow to pull the trigger, and Sawyers with an overweighted pass to Milan.

Great 3 points, great away performance, we stifled them (just) and grabbed a couple of goals. Simp,e game isn't it?

2 home games now in 3 days, both very winnable. For me, only change should be Morris in for Forde to give us more going forward, and OConnor if fit. Nothing against Pennington but we don't look as organised at the back without OConnor.

Don't mean to get at Sawyers, but there is a side to his game that just isn't up to scratch, the ball sticks to his feet like glued, he's got a terrific range of passing, he's just not direct enough, almost as if he's happier to pass it feet 40 yards than score a 20 yard belter. And his lack of appreciation of the fans when subbed or at the final whistle was pretty poor form.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:59 pm

Just back home. Knackered but still buzzing after that performance particularly in the 2 nd half.
1st half Etherington kept us in the game, pulled of 4 magnificent saves including the penalty. While we passed the ball about well their keeper didn't have a shot of note to save. Fantastic free kick from Milan rattled the corner of bar and post. I thought it wasn't to be at that point because when it's your day those ones go in! And Dack is a cheating pratt.

2nd half we played much better and Sawyers was pulling all the strings with some beautiful passes. Mantom couldn't find anyone in a red shirt. and Rico kept on finding touch with his passes down the wing from defence. Pennington won some great headers against their gorillas. The ref kept falling for Dacks dives and booked Chambers for winning the ball too often.

All in all a great night to be a saddler. And an optimist who gets proven right again!

I'm off to get some kip. If I can pull some blanket from the missus and wind down enough to stop singing Wednesbury road.

UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:29 am

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:58 am

Just back in Walsall.

Same thing as what was said above. First half was dodgy and Etheridge kept us in it with some fantastic saves.

Second half we were a completely different team. Romaine Sawyers put in probably his best half of football in a Walsall shirt, his passing was sublime and we looked a threat on the counter every single time we got on the ball.

What a fudge win.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:51 am

Great result. Just didn't see that coming after Saturday. Far more like the line-up that had that blistering August. Two more wins for play-offs then let's see.

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 am

philthesaddler wrote:Thought we were poor first half, no one really getting more than a 6/10, except etherise who pulled off 2 great saves and saved the penalty.

Force missed a good opportunity to score with his head, and Sawyers ducked out of a header, for which I rebuked him, his reply was to turn round and shrug his shoulders.

Going in at 0-0 at half time, despite being the poorer side, I had a feeling we'd score first, and when we score first away from home we rarely lose.

First half we were seemingly scared to shoot, but you can always rely on Milan, whether fit or not, confident or not, you can count of him to create something from nothing - that's why he needs to start every game from now til the end of the season. Terrific step over, turn of pace and finish and suddenly Gillingham had to come out and play.

We could have had 3 more, but we were pretty wasteful in front of goal - Sawyers declining to shoot again, Morris just a little too slow to pull the trigger, and Sawyers with an overweighted pass to Milan.

Great 3 points, great away performance, we stifled them (just) and grabbed a couple of goals. Simp,e game isn't it?

2 home games now in 3 days, both very winnable. For me, only change should be Morris in for Forde to give us more going forward, and OConnor if fit. Nothing against Pennington but we don't look as organised at the back without OConnor.

Don't mean to get at Sawyers, but there is a side to his game that just isn't up to scratch, the ball sticks to his feet like glued, he's got a terrific range of passing, he's just not direct enough, almost as if he's happier to pass it feet 40 yards than score a 20 yard belter. And his lack of appreciation of the fans when subbed or at the final whistle was pretty poor form.

Come on Phil, you've admitted you gave Sawyers stick and then wonder why he doesn't show you respect by applauding you at the end.
From what I hear, the Gillingham fans applauded him off after he'd just ripped their team to bits, which tells me quite a lot.
Don't get me wrong, he can be frustrating at times, but that doesn't give us any right to use him or anyone else as a scapegoat. In my opinion, these boys need us behind them now, more than ever. If they make a mistake or two along the way, so be it!
A few of our "fans" will soon get their wish when he leaves at the end of the season, where do you stand on that?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 am

Cracking win. My Gills mate said we absolutely cack on them second half, and he's loyal as they come.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season