Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Apr 12, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Mazza01
UTS Legend

Re: Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Apr 12, 7.45pm

Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:44 am

Well-bRed wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Thought we were poor first half, no one really getting more than a 6/10, except etherise who pulled off 2 great saves and saved the penalty.

Force missed a good opportunity to score with his head, and Sawyers ducked out of a header, for which I rebuked him, his reply was to turn round and shrug his shoulders.

Going in at 0-0 at half time, despite being the poorer side, I had a feeling we'd score first, and when we score first away from home we rarely lose.

First half we were seemingly scared to shoot, but you can always rely on Milan, whether fit or not, confident or not, you can count of him to create something from nothing - that's why he needs to start every game from now til the end of the season. Terrific step over, turn of pace and finish and suddenly Gillingham had to come out and play.

We could have had 3 more, but we were pretty wasteful in front of goal - Sawyers declining to shoot again, Morris just a little too slow to pull the trigger, and Sawyers with an overweighted pass to Milan.

Great 3 points, great away performance, we stifled them (just) and grabbed a couple of goals. Simp,e game isn't it?

2 home games now in 3 days, both very winnable. For me, only change should be Morris in for Forde to give us more going forward, and OConnor if fit. Nothing against Pennington but we don't look as organised at the back without OConnor.

Don't mean to get at Sawyers, but there is a side to his game that just isn't up to scratch, the ball sticks to his feet like glued, he's got a terrific range of passing, he's just not direct enough, almost as if he's happier to pass it feet 40 yards than score a 20 yard belter. And his lack of appreciation of the fans when subbed or at the final whistle was pretty poor form.

Come on Phil, you've admitted you gave Sawyers stick and then wonder why he doesn't show you respect by applauding you at the end.
From what I hear, the Gillingham fans applauded him off after he'd just ripped their team to bits, which tells me quite a lot.
Don't get me wrong, he can be frustrating at times, but that doesn't give us any right to use him or anyone else as a scapegoat. In my opinion, these boys need us behind them now, more than ever. If they make a mistake or two along the way, so be it!
A few of our "fans" will soon get their wish when he leaves at the end of the season, where do you stand on that?

In the end of the day even the best players take critism, it's part of the profession and something that comes with the luxury of the job.

It will make Romaine a stronger character.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:12 am

Well done to those that travelled - could hear you on the wireless - excellent.

Listened to most of it from behind the settee (Dr Who style) and chuffed to bits about the result.

Roll on Sarfend and lets get another double sorted. :D
Last edited by Leatherman on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:12 am

Mazza01 wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Thought we were poor first half, no one really getting more than a 6/10, except etherise who pulled off 2 great saves and saved the penalty.

Force missed a good opportunity to score with his head, and Sawyers ducked out of a header, for which I rebuked him, his reply was to turn round and shrug his shoulders.

Going in at 0-0 at half time, despite being the poorer side, I had a feeling we'd score first, and when we score first away from home we rarely lose.

First half we were seemingly scared to shoot, but you can always rely on Milan, whether fit or not, confident or not, you can count of him to create something from nothing - that's why he needs to start every game from now til the end of the season. Terrific step over, turn of pace and finish and suddenly Gillingham had to come out and play.

We could have had 3 more, but we were pretty wasteful in front of goal - Sawyers declining to shoot again, Morris just a little too slow to pull the trigger, and Sawyers with an overweighted pass to Milan.

Great 3 points, great away performance, we stifled them (just) and grabbed a couple of goals. Simp,e game isn't it?

2 home games now in 3 days, both very winnable. For me, only change should be Morris in for Forde to give us more going forward, and OConnor if fit. Nothing against Pennington but we don't look as organised at the back without OConnor.

Don't mean to get at Sawyers, but there is a side to his game that just isn't up to scratch, the ball sticks to his feet like glued, he's got a terrific range of passing, he's just not direct enough, almost as if he's happier to pass it feet 40 yards than score a 20 yard belter. And his lack of appreciation of the fans when subbed or at the final whistle was pretty poor form.

Come on Phil, you've admitted you gave Sawyers stick and then wonder why he doesn't show you respect by applauding you at the end.
From what I hear, the Gillingham fans applauded him off after he'd just ripped their team to bits, which tells me quite a lot.
Don't get me wrong, he can be frustrating at times, but that doesn't give us any right to use him or anyone else as a scapegoat. In my opinion, these boys need us behind them now, more than ever. If they make a mistake or two along the way, so be it!
A few of our "fans" will soon get their wish when he leaves at the end of the season, where do you stand on that?

In the end of the day even the best players take critism, it's part of the profession and something that comes with the luxury of the job.

I don't doubt that for one minute.
He'll be a stronger character playing for a bigger team, getting more publicity and people lauding him, a little in the mould of a certain Mr Deeney if you like.
He was another one who got shed loads of stick and many folk around me couldn't see what he offered either.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 am

Well-bRed wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

He'll be a stronger character playing for a bigger team, getting more publicity and people lauding him, a little in the mould of a certain Mr Deeney if you like.
He was another one who got shed loads of stick and many folk around me couldn't see what he offered either.

In Deeney's case, he was a lot more consistent than Sawyers and you could see him improve from game to game.

Sawyers is still too inconsistent and, in my opinion, hasn't really progressed from the start of the season.

True there will be richer clubs who will be willing to take a punt on him next season, but he could well end up playing in the reserves or out on loan.

P.S. The commentators couldn't praise him enough last night for those of you who weren't able to catch it.

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:33 am

Leatherman wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

In Deeney's case, he was a lot more consistent than Sawyers and you could see him improve from game to game.

Sawyers is still too inconsistent and, in my opinion, hasn't really progressed from the start of the season.

True there will be richer clubs who will be willing to take a punt on him next season, but he could well end up playing in the reserves or out on loan.

P.S. The commentators couldn't praise him enough last night for those of you who weren't able to catch it.

Maybe he is a little inconsistent but I know I'd much rather have him in my team than our opponents.
A real shame that!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:52 am

Sawyers was immense last night. Back to his best. He ran the match. He is massive.y frustrating at times, he needs to get back to being more direct like earlier in the season, but he was back to that last night. They couldn't get near him. Are there any highlights of the goals anywhere?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:55 am

philthesaddler wrote:I disagree, I think we need to go back to what served us so well earlier in the season; ie, Henry at left back, one up top, Lalkovic and Morris on the wings.

I'll take the credit for the selection last night :lol: :lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:58 am

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -2-walsall Just found them :D two great goals and some sublime football

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:02 am

Sawyers did play well last night - probably an 8 out of 10 in my book, but it certainly keeps a rosy picture in memory when you are winning 2-0 and he's doing fancy flicks that are coming off.

All that stuff is great, but when you're not winning and you need your best player to come up with a crucial pass or a crucial goal - he's not providing that.

He's not scored since October 24th - and this is a lad that was boasting about having a "romaine sawyers goal of the season competition"... well, he's not far off having played a whole season without scoring.

And if he's the kind of player who gets upset with a bit of criticism, he'll get nowhere in the game. Is he perfect? No.

I told him he ducked out of a header, which he did, and he didn't like it, and clearly had the hump at the end of the game. What a diva.

I think he's a great player and we'll miss him when he's left in the summer, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how we replace him, hopefully with a more physical player like George Evans

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:25 am

I think it is completely wrong to give players "stick" during a game so PHIL I disagree on that point. I have however posted several times on the conundrum that is Sawyers. He is clearly our most gifted player other than Henry however he is very frustrating at times. The fact is when he plays well the team plays well and listening to the commentary last night he was clearly back to his best. He was helped in this as PHIL says by the team selection of Henry and Lalkovic. I would certainly leave those two in for the rest of the season if fit

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:41 am

Being down to the faithful few last night it was a pleasure not to be surrounded by idiots slagging Sawyers off for being lazy blah blah blah. I agree he is frustrating at times and his goals record is abysmal. But walsallone hit nail on head. Him and Sawyers are by far and away most talented players we have. They are up there with the most talented I have ever seen at Walsall in 4 decades. Maybe if we go up he will stay but the fact he has not signed a contract implies he is off at end of season. He needs to add more directness and goals to his game if he wants to succeed at a higher level. Is it a confidence thing? I don't know. What I do know is on his game he is devestating and I don't think we will find a like for like replacement. We will have to change our style if he leaves. 90% of our play currently relies on romaine.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:53 am

Wow... I can foresee the posts on here next season.

"I wish we had someone of Sawyers quality in the team"

Some people really don't get football do they?.... blinkered.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:54 am

philthesaddler wrote:Sawyers did play well last night - probably an 8 out of 10 in my book, but it certainly keeps a rosy picture in memory when you are winning 2-0 and he's doing fancy flicks that are coming off.

All that stuff is great, but when you're not winning and you need your best player to come up with a crucial pass or a crucial goal - he's not providing that.

He's not scored since October 24th - and this is a lad that was boasting about having a "romaine sawyers goal of the season competition"... well, he's not far off having played a whole season without scoring.

And if he's the kind of player who gets upset with a bit of criticism, he'll get nowhere in the game. Is he perfect? No.

I told him he ducked out of a header, which he did, and he didn't like it, and clearly had the hump at the end of the game. What a diva.

I think he's a great player and we'll miss him when he's left in the summer, but I'm also looking forward to seeing how we replace him, hopefully with a more physical player like George Evans

Completely disagree, you don't just mouth off at your own players when they haven't done what you want. What right do you have to do that? - You're not the manager or coach. You're just a bloke who pays for the pleasure of watching his team - as a FAN. Get behind the lads, your feedback should be contained here. I almost guarantee back in the dressing room you'll be referred to as the tool who needs to keep his mouth in track.

What good is goading our players? No wonder he didn't come over and thank anyone - what's there to thank. He's currently 6th in the assist chart so is contributing plenty.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 am

If, in a game we need to win, you have a player ducking out of a header that he could have scored with then he deserves stick.

And if he don't like it? Well he can go and play for the Premier League reserves, where he can duck out of headers and jump out of challenges all he likes.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:58 am

Good points BELGE....I have been watching Walsall for many years and both these players are amongst the very,very best so I would say to my fellow fans enjoy them while you can and when you get old like me you will be able to tell folks you saw them play as I am able to talk about Richards,Taylor,Clarke,Kirby,Parkes etc and of more recent times Samways,Merson(the player for a few months!),Walker,Leaito and the Matias/Aranalde linkup etc.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:00 am

Cheesebag wrote:Wow... I can foresee the posts on here next season.

"I wish we had someone of Sawyers quality in the team"

Some people really don't get football do they?.... blinkered.

Like I've said, time and time again, he's our greatest strength but also our greatest weakness. Easily the most gifted player I've seen in a Walsall shirt, but definately a shirker when it comes to responsibility in front of goal. How do you explain 20+ games without a goal for someone of his talent?

Bradley Dack has scored 15 goals this season and hasn't gone longer than 4 games without a goal

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 am

Walsall need Sawyers more than Sawyers needs Walsall. He'll walk into any Championship team next season.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:16 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Sawyers was immense last night. Back to his best. He ran the match. He is massive.y frustrating at times, he needs to get back to being more direct like earlier in the season, but he was back to that last night. They couldn't get near him. Are there any highlights of the goals anywhere?

Could this have anything to do with the team formation?

In recent weeks we've played 3-5-1-1 and even 4-4-1-1
but according to E&S last night we played 4-2-3-1

Could it be the use of wingers higher up the pitch (rather than wing backs) gave Sawyers more room and more options?
Just a thought.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 am

Walsallone wrote:Good points BELGE....I have been watching Walsall for many years and both these players are amongst the very,very best so I would say to my fellow fans enjoy them while you can and when you get old like me you will be able to tell folks you saw them play as I am able to talk about Richards,Taylor,Clarke,Kirby,Parkes etc and of more recent times Samways,Merson(the player for a few months!),Walker,Leaito and the Matias/Aranalde linkup etc.

A top ten all time players would be tough. I grew up with Buckley, Andrews, Bernie Wright, then don penn, Ian Paul David preece. But I would honestly put romaine and Rico in that category.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:28 am

scott_powell wrote:Walsall need Sawyers more than Sawyers needs Walsall. He'll walk into any Championship team next season.

We'd probably have said that about George Evans and Will Grigg. Didn't happen though.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 am

aaaae wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Walsall need Sawyers more than Sawyers needs Walsall. He'll walk into any Championship team next season.

We'd probably have said that about George Evans and Will Grigg. Didn't happen though.

Perhaps he should have said he will walk onto any Championship payroll next season. And deservedly so IMO. Fab footballer.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am

Living in Wigan is tough. I bet most people I know in Wigan we would finish above them :shock:

But to be fair I will happily pay out if we get second, and most of them are supporting us for 2nd place. The majority of them are delighted to have lost the glory hunting 10000 who went to see them in the prem. Proper fans.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:47 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Living in Wigan is tough. I bet most people I know in Wigan we would finish above them :shock:

But to be fair I will happily pay out if we get second, and most of them are supporting us for 2nd place. The majority of them are delighted to have lost the glory hunting 10000 who went to see them in the prem. Proper fans.

They've lost a significant amount of home fans yet their away support has gone up considerably. Odd.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 am

aaaae wrote:

Sawyers is a class above both

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am

scott_powell wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Not at finishing or at box to box midfield graft. Depends what you need in your team. Sawyers can do brilliant stuff, but not consistently enough yet to walk into a Championship team - well maybe Bolton, Charlton or MK Dons.

Hope he is playing for us in the Championship next season though! :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:13 am

Chuffed to bollocks with that win last night. 4 more wins (including Bradford) and a draw will do it I reckon.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:27 am

Chris Hughton was there watching last night , don't be surprised if Romaine end up on the south coast.

Ryanponder18

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 am

aaaae wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
aaaae wrote:

Not at finishing or at box to box midfield graft. Depends what you need in your team. Sawyers can do brilliant stuff, but not consistently enough yet to walk into a Championship team - well maybe Bolton, Charlton or MK Dons.

Hope he is playing for us in the Championship next season though! :mrgreen:

Agree with both points, you can’t compare Sawyers, Evans & Grigg as they’re all different types of player that offer different things.

No question that he’s good enough for the champ, but does need to perform more consistently to be playing regularly at that level.

Ryanponder18

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:43 am

Mazza01 wrote:Chris Hughton was there watching last night , don't be surprised if Romaine end up on the south coast.

All this talk about where everyone’s off to in the summer ..

I can see Rico being bought by a prem team and maybe loaned out somewhere, but are we not expecting Sawyers/Bradshaw to stay if we get promoted?! :(

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Sawyers is a strange case, both underrated and overrated by elements of the fan base.

Glad to here he was back to his best last night,as we need him to be. I think he's a very good player, but he's been nowhere near a 'walk into any Championship side' player for the majority of 2016.

I can see him at Brentford next season.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season