Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Apr 12, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Gillingham (A) League One, Tues Apr 12, 7.45pm

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:36 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Sawyers is a strange case, both underrated and overrated by elements of the fan base.

Glad to here he was back to his best last night,as we need him to be. I think he's a very good player, but he's been nowhere near a 'walk into any Championship side' player for the majority of 2016.

I can see him at Brentford next season.

Without Sawyers we'd be mid table now. Funny how opposition fans see it but our fans can't. Sawyers was slaughtered against Sheffield United by some Walsall "supporters" yet I read the Sheff Uniteds forum that they wanted them to sign him at the end of the season.

He's a cut above anyone in our team in my opinion. An extremely intelligent footballer who would thrive in a team on his level (That level being above league 1).

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Although I will agree he should have scored more this season

NortonSaddler

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:02 pm

Just what the doctor ordered!

Superb performance. Sammy and chambers shackled the midfield and started FAST counters. Milan looks so much better with rico overlapping rather than taylor stood stationary behind him. Sawyers was absolutely immense. Having hiwula drag defenders with pace and forde and milan stretchin gills wide gave sawyers all the space in the world to play in the hole and pull the strings for the full 90 mins. Class. Looked back to our pre-january form with that set-up, PLEASE keep it the same for the next few games. We looked a real threat again. Also thought pennington was really solid all game. Dealt with all the long balls and the pace of their cody macdonald. Downing struggled for the first 20 but was class after that, especially the second half. What can i say about etheridge? Hes getting better and better.

Well done to the management trio for the team selection and playing the game to tactial perfection. Gills didnt get a sniff other than the controversial penalty (looked a bit harsh to me but couldnt really tell exactly what happened). Great night! Autos are back on and we look to have our spark back. UTS

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Phil does make me laugh, I aint gonna knock someone that goes so often to games, but my God what planet is he on.

Romaine Sawyers is a human being, not just a footballer. If I stand and shout dogs abuse at you when all of your opponents are lavishing praise on you, plus the team is above and beyond where it should really be, are you really going to turn around at the end and say, oh yeah thanks so much for that?!

For a very short time I was on the books at Halesowen Town and a kid called Julian Alsop was getting abuse every game from behind the goal - they were calling him donkey, lazy, awkward etc etc and what people forget is players can actually often hear what they are shouting even if its just 50 behind the goal. He could never get his head around it when all opposition teams found him a handful. He left Halesowen that year for free - went on to have a long, successful career in the football league with Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Oxford, Swansea plus many more.....lets just say slightly above Halesowen's level! Can picture some of their fans faces now calling him donkey, belly's hanging over their jeans.

UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:50 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Sawyers was immense last night. Back to his best. He ran the match. He is massive.y frustrating at times, he needs to get back to being more direct like earlier in the season, but he was back to that last night. They couldn't get near him. Are there any highlights of the goals anywhere?

This thread? (Maybe not such good quality, but not geographically challenged.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1CFvLhpB6g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Phil does make me laugh, I aint gonna knock someone that goes so often to games, but my God what planet is he on.

Romaine Sawyers is a human being, not just a footballer. If I stand and shout dogs abuse at you when all of your opponents are lavishing praise on you, plus the team is above and beyond where it should really be, are you really going to turn around at the end and say, oh yeah thanks so much for that?!

For a very short time I was on the books at Halesowen Town and a kid called Julian Alsop was getting abuse every game from behind the goal - they were calling him donkey, lazy, awkward etc etc and what people forget is players can actually often hear what they are shouting even if its just 50 behind the goal. He could never get his head around it when all opposition teams found him a handful. He left Halesowen that year for free - went on to have a long, successful career in the football league with Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Oxford, Swansea plus many more.....lets just say slightly above Halesowen's level! Can picture some of their fans faces now calling him donkey, belly's hanging over their jeans.

My god there's some idiots on here.

I dont see anyone, certainly not myself, saying Sawyers is useless, not worth his place in the team, a donkey etc.etc.... So why draw that comparison?

What I do see, is some sensible people appraising the pros and cons of his game, and his value to the team, countering arguments from others who think he is infallible.

Answer me this - is Romaine Sawyers infallible? Has he reached perfection as a footballer?

For those morons out there, thats a rhetorical question.

I didn't give him "dogs abuse", I told him, pretty straight, in a quiet stadium that he shouldn't be ducking out of headers when there's a chance to score - which is pretty much what I'd expect anyone without sh!t in their eyes would say to any player doing that, it's also what any captain would say to a player ducking out of a header. But because this is Romaine Sawyers, and he's quite a talented player who does lots of fancy flicks, you can't say a bad word against him, and if you do dare to criticise any aspect of his game, you are totally deriding him. This is the problem with moron football fans, there's no middle ground, you either totally love a player and he can't do anything wrong or you hate his guts. I'm neither, I just see where the failings in his game are.

Just look at his twitter account - he believes his own hype, jokes along with the "blame sawyers" hash tag etc. The joke doing the rounds of twitter is that Walsall fans call him lazy - I've not seen anyone say he's lazy.

Can't he take criticism of his game? Is he so precious that he cries every time someone says there's a part of his game that could be improved?

Presumably, he too thinks he's reached perfection, so when he does move on in the summer, he'll walk straight in to the team and certainly wont get his ability tested, or his quality questioned.

As far as I'm concerned, he's a very silky player, great passing, great vision, bags of ability, BUT, he doesn't score enough goals (last goal was in October), he's not physical enough (he still shirks challenges) and he believes his own hype to an extent whereby he visibly gets moody/stroppy when he gets criticised in any way. Do you think Ian Roper or Pedro Matias or David Kelly or Jimmy Walker (to pick a few names out of thin air) went in to a strop when criticised? No, they got down to it and worked hard.

Someone said to me he's our greatest strength and our greatest weakness. When we're 1-0 up away from home, and confidence is flowing, and the game has opened up meaning the opposition midfield are pushed further forward, then his fancy flicks look great, and probably come out. But...when we're 1-0 down at home and we need our most talented player to grab the game by the scruff of it's neck, perhaps score a belter, he's not that player. That's not to say he doesn't graft - of course he does, but his style of play is based of flowing, possession football which isn't always the case. Instead, at times like that, the flicks and tricks dont come off, and he looks daft.

It will be interesting to see how we fair we out him next season. He's played a big part in instilling the footballing ethos that the club has developed over the past 5 years, will his replacement be better? Will they be worse? I don't know, but whilst he may not have Romaine's strengths - he may also not have his weaknesses.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:58 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I didn't give him "dogs abuse", I told him, pretty straight, in a quiet stadium that he shouldn't be ducking out of headers when there's a chance to score - which is pretty much what I'd expect anyone without sh!t in their eyes would say to any player doing that, it's also what any captain would say to a player ducking out of a header. But because this is Romaine Sawyers, and he's quite a talented player who does lots of fancy flicks, you can't say a bad word against him, and if you do dare to criticise any aspect of his game, you are totally deriding him. This is the problem with moron football fans, there's no middle ground, you either totally love a player and he can't do anything wrong or you hate his guts. I'm neither, I just see where the failings in his game are.

Why should Romaine listen to anything you have to say? What have you achieved in the game exactly? :lol:

I have more of a players point of view having competed at a decent level. Your advice is based on having sat on your fat arse watching games for many years no doubt. Its not the same I'm afraid.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Phil, you haven't heard anyone call him lazy? You are kidding right?

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:10 pm

I have no problem with criticism of Sawyers if it is fair and also dealt to other players too.

Problem is that it often isn't and so many threads come down to an arguement about one player, Romaine Sawyers, when others warrant discussion too. Sawyers has had his bad games recently but on the whole has had a cracking season, but still gets far more abuse than anyone else - unfairly in my eyes.

That isn't a knock on anything said above by the way, just a general opinion.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:14 pm

scott_powell wrote:Phil, you haven't heard anyone call him lazy? You are kidding right?

Ive heard it plenty of times and is often done by the older more bigoted section of our support.

I've seen games pass Lalko, Mantom etc by this season - games were they've not worked nearly hard enough - but for some reason the lazy tag never gets used.

He is certainly not lazy - not at all.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 pm

scott_powell wrote:Walsall need Sawyers more than Sawyers needs Walsall. He'll walk into any Championship team next season.

Well he won't be sprinting will he?

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Don't want to sound like a moaner as really enjoyed that second half performance BUT something occurred to me on the long trip back that we need to keep in mind before we get too carried away. We absolutely played Gillingham off the park, but it was glaringly obvious that it was because they kept it open and let us play and weren't good enough to match us - they didn't close us down at all. Where we have struggled (especially over last few weeks) has been against teams who have been in our faces and not let us get our superior passing game going.

When SOD said other teams had sussed us I think this is what he was talking about - to borrow an analogy, they can't outbox us so they resort to holding and pushing the head in to frustrate us and stop us getting a clean blow in then hit us with a sucker punch. We have to street scrap sometimes to get a result.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:06 pm

As I have commented on another thread.

The thick fans moaning about Romaine constantly (when loads of others do much, much worse) are just thick thick thick.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Leatherman wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Walsall need Sawyers more than Sawyers needs Walsall. He'll walk into any Championship team next season.

Well he won't be sprinting will he?

He doesn't need to, his ability will get him there.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:37 am

Sawyers is an immense talent especially for a club the size of Walsall to have in their ranks, yes he doesn't score enough and yea perhaps sometimes his lack of running in behind can make him look lazy at times.

But the lad is a real talent and still has years ahead of him to improve his weaker areas.

What I do know is clubs will be queuing up for his services :cry:

shady53

Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:40 am

kshammer wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Phil, you haven't heard anyone call him lazy? You are kidding right?

Ive heard it plenty of times and is often done by the older more bigoted section of our support.

I've seen games pass Lalko, Mantom etc by this season - games were they've not worked nearly hard enough - but for some reason the lazy tag never gets used.

He is certainly not lazy - not at all.

Good points.
I remember watching a certain Allan Clarke when he broke into the first team in the early sixties, he also had a languid style about him, and watching with admiration and excitement as he sprayed lovely passes around and out to the wingers, it was as if he was seeing and playing a different game to everyone else on the pitch, guess what ?
I vividly remember older fans absolutely going beserk at him, "what are you doing you idiot" "get it in the middle" "we will never score playing like that" etc.
As a young 10 year old i could not understand why they could not see what i could see, but there is the lesson, everyone see`s things differently, is subjective, and some things never change do they ?

You can lead a Horse to water but you can`t make it scuba dive can you ?

PT
Site Addict

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:29 am

And this is why football is ace, we all watch the same thing but have a myriad of perspectives.

Sawyers is an artisan. And the thing with artists, poets, musicians is that some will observe or listen and say "wow, amazing"whilst others will say "what a crock of cack".

To me, players like Sawyers epitomise why football is often referred to as "the beautiful game". He sees spaces, angles and movement that are way beyond the level he plays at and he can execute majestically around all of those things. Unlike others, I also think his work-rate is first class. He covers nearly the whole pitch and is morally very brave in terms of the positions he receives and plays the ball.

I think the only reason he might not make it to the very top is that he doesn't quite match his moral courage with physical courage. A player like Bradshaw kind of accepts that getting kicked and sticking your head in where it hurts is part of the game. Romaine's (perhaps human) instinct is to either get out of the way or try to execute in a way that might be least painful. His injury record is perfect.

I love him to bits. He's a big lad and if he used that frame more in the physical side of the game then forget Championship, he could play in the upper echelons of the Premier League.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:42 am

PT and shady, I will happily marry both of you after those last two posts. :D sums some of our fans up, Allan Clarke being slated for being idle and useless :D

windowman
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:53 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I didn't give him "dogs abuse", I told him, pretty straight, in a quiet stadium that he shouldn't be ducking out of headers when there's a chance to score - which is pretty much what I'd expect anyone without sh!t in their eyes would say to any player doing that, it's also what any captain would say to a player ducking out of a header. But because this is Romaine Sawyers, and he's quite a talented player who does lots of fancy flicks, you can't say a bad word against him, and if you do dare to criticise any aspect of his game, you are totally deriding him. This is the problem with moron football fans, there's no middle ground, you either totally love a player and he can't do anything wrong or you hate his guts. I'm neither, I just see where the failings in his game are.

Why should Romaine listen to anything you have to say? What have you achieved in the game exactly? :lol:

I have more of a players point of view having competed at a decent level. Your advice is based on having sat on your fat arse watching games for many years no doubt. Its not the same I'm afraid.

Tut tut, Phils played at a very high level

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:45 am

belgiansaddler wrote:PT and shady, I will happily marry both of you after those last two posts. :D sums some of our fans up, Allan Clarke being slated for being idle and useless :D

I remember crying when I was told that Sniffer had moved to Fulham.
I think the only other time I have cried at transfer news is when I heard that Alf Wood had signed.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:04 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:PT and shady, I will happily marry both of you after those last two posts. :D sums some of our fans up, Allan Clarke being slated for being idle and useless :D

I think the only other time I have cried at transfer news is when I heard that Alf Wood had signed.

:) I think the most disappointed I've been is when Gary Shelton was sold to Villa for what was even then a paltry 65,000. The common denominator between him and Alf Wood was Mackay. He appeared to have no faith in youth and liked to sign old pros in decline instead. Wood-pretty useless, Henry Newton-arthritic hip, and Jimmy Robertson-arrived late from the US, no goals , plenty of bookings. No wonder we got relegated the season he left.

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:14 pm

moaning saddler wrote:

I seem to remember being with you at Carlisle when Alf Wood scored with a bullet header from the penalty spot. Into his own net. Followed by the chants of "Alf Wood No Good". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season