Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:43 pm

With only 8 League One games to go this season, Boundary Park is the venue for us to try and restore normal service to our away form. The big snag, of course is that Oldham are flirting heavily with relegation, and it's a well-known fact that we often don't seem to have the answer as to how to overcome teams in that position. There's a further stumbling block when you look at current form - just taking the most recent 10 League One games, Oldham Athletic have harvested 18 points (including a win against Gillingham) whereas we have only managed 12 points from our last 10 matches. It looks like being far from easy.........

However, I'm sure everyone making the trip will want to give a warm welcome to former Saddler Anthony Gerrard :wink: who will be with the Latics until the end of the season, having resurrected his career at Shrewsbury. Our own Dean Holden will be very familiar with the Boundary Park surroundings of course, having been "let go" from his coaching/managerial position there. Goalscoring seems to be a big problem for the Latics - they're averaging exactly a goal a game in league One, as opposed to our 1.5 goals. Their top scorers are midfielder Liam Kelly and striker Dominic Poleon, with 5 goals apiece. Oldham's recent form:

12 Mar Sheffield United (A) Lost 3-0
15 Mar Blackpool (H) Won 1-0
19 Mar Rochdale (H) Lost 2-3
26 Mar Burton Albion (A) Drew 0-0
28 Mar Chesterfield (H) Won 1-0
5 Apr Swindon Town (H) Won 2-0

After our stumble at Bramall Lane it's probably on the cards for Jon Whitney to ring the changes - hopefully James O'Connor will be fit to restore his influence in defence, and it's quite possible that Kieron Morris and/or Milan Lalkovic could start. The other quandary is to do with the left-back position - Taylor or Henry? And should Romaine Sawyers be rested? Questions, questions....

The last question is that of a prediction. Having correctly predicted a 2-0 scoreline against Sheffield United (I got the score right, just the wrong way round) :oops: I'll stick to the same result here with a 0-2 win, goals from Bradshaw and Demetriou.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:41 pm

I predict a balmy afternoon in Oldham with the temperature reaching minus 4 degrees

A little concerned with recent form so can see this being a tough game So Ill go for a 1–1 draw with Bradshaw getting the goal.

Ancient Moaner's head to explode as Whitney starts with Flanagan and Cook up front.

4066 including 567 Saddlers.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Looking forward to a first trip to Oldham. Just hoping for 3 points, don't give a toss how we play.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:09 pm

aaaae wrote:Looking forward to a first trip to Oldham. Just hoping for 3 points, don't give a toss how we play.

Put an extra layer on.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:43 am

chestersaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:Looking forward to a first trip to Oldham. Just hoping for 3 points, don't give a toss how we play.

Put an extra layer on.

See that we are in the opposite end of the ground to where we were on all my previous visits. May be less cold unless it's a north-easterly blowing?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 am

chestersaddler wrote:

Put an extra layer on.

Indeed, the rest of the country could be sweltering in 25+ degrees, it would still be like the arctic up there on Boundary Parks' legendary fridge freezer conditions....put two extra layers on.

And come armed with LOTS of money, cost me £24 quid to get in last time ON CONCESSION!! Seem to remember though that this ground was one of the first in the lower leagues to install wash basins and hand driers in the bogs.

And if Flanagan IS playing, we will lose 2-0.

With O'Connor back we might pinch a 1-1 draw, IF he puts out an attacking option, not the toothless wishy washy outfit that failed so miserably at Bramhall Lane. Would be good to see us get past the half way line at least! And, lads, the aim of the game of football is to score more goals than the opposition......remember that bit of your training? you know...scoring goals? (or at least looking like you know what attacking means).

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:20 am

chestersaddler wrote:

Put an extra layer on.

Bought some long johns. Sorry they call it a base layer these days don't they? :mrgreen:

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:44 am

[quote="Ancient Moaner"
And come armed with LOTS of money, cost me £24 quid to get in last time ON CONCESSION!! Seem to remember though that this ground was one of the first in the lower leagues to install wash basins and hand driers in the bogs.

That's odd, according to the football ground guide prices for 2015/6 are:

Away Fans: ZenOffice (Chadderton Road) Stand: Adults £22, OAP's £12, Under 16's £10.

Perhaps AM got a "negative concession" for being a miserable old git :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:32 pm

it's been a fair few years since i have been to boundary park. They had that god awful plastic carpet last time i went :lol: .I have been looking at hotel prices for manchester because we wanted to make a weekend of it. and have a night out on salford quay's. but they want £200 just for a night the robin barstewards :shock: . anyway we will win 0-2 with sawyers and braders on the scoresheet with 603 saddlers in attendance. 605 if i can get a better deal without squatting in a bedsit :lol:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:20 pm

really haven't been convinced by our recent performances even against Chesterfield it wasn't until they went down to 10 did we dominate.

I questioned the teams desire last week and I think that may see us fall short against a team scrapping for their lives. Hope I'm wrong but 2-1 Oldham.

Either way I'll be there UTS

firreblade

Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Well written as usual Welsh. Looking forward to this game, hope whit has learned from our last game and stick with a 4 at the back where we looked much better defensively and in attack, if Whit goes with this then it will be the start of a 6 game unbeaten win-run so I will predict 0-2 Walsall, Bradders and Sawyers with the goals.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:47 pm

cookyskid wrote:[quote="Ancient Moaner"

Away Fans: ZenOffice (Chadderton Road) Stand: Adults £22, OAP's £12, Under 16's £10.

Think these guide prices are based on 2005/6 by mistake!
OAP £12? double that is what I paid last year, hope your figures are correct, I can buy an extra pint or two!!
Also remember way back when, in the old days when I was a babbie of 64 requesting a concession entry at Sheff Wed ground, had to prove my age, only to be told "no concession to under 65's"!
Can't even get away with being an old git these days... :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Oldham are in reasonable form, so I think a point will be a decent return.

1-1, with Bradshaw for us, in front of 4,425, including 607 Saddlers.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:49 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

OAP £12? double that is what I paid last year, hope your figures are correct, I can buy an extra pint or two!!
Also remember way back when, in the old days when I was a babbie of 64 requesting a concession entry at Sheff Wed ground, had to prove my age, only to be told "no concession to under 65's"!

The cut off age for OAPs (sorry - Senior Citizens) is 62 at Port Vale! Where did they dream that one up from?
Everywhere else is either 60 or 65, but 62???????? :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Been up to Oldham last two seasons and not found it that bad tbh bar all the abestos coming off the roof. :lol:

In my experience the Britannia is a far colder ground and for possibly next season I've heard the Reebok is pretty deadly in winter.

Anyway think this will be a very hard fought 1 nil win, Bradshaw winner.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:31 pm

Just to cheer everyone up...
Saw Oldham against Burton on the telly - they looked pretty solid while Burton offered nothing.
Don't have a good feeling about this one I'm afraid.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:50 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Been up to Oldham last two seasons and not found it that bad tbh bar all the abestos coming off the roof. :lol:

In my experience the Britannia is a far colder ground and for possibly next season I've heard the Reebok is pretty deadly in winter.

Anyway think this will be a very hard fought 1 nil win, Bradshaw winner.

Nah, the Reebok (or the Macron Stadium as it is now known) is about 10,000 feet below that of the Fridge Freezer at Oldham! Strange to think that this fabulous stadium will be staging Division One games next season (for one season only, like Wigan) it's a bit like Rangers, makes a mockery of the promotion/relegation system, get the feeling that in the near future (hopefully with me long gone from this mortal coil) The Premiershite & Football League may adopt the Rugby League ideal of if your facilities ain't good enough you don't go up, (which for the likes of Burton would be a bummer) and if you are 'top dollar' you can't go down.
Difficult to assess where we will be next season, but get the awful feeling we will be visiting the Macron Stadium! :?

See ya all tomorrow, keep warm folks!

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:40 pm

saddla wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

The cut off age for OAPs (sorry - Senior Citizens) is 62 at Port Vale! Where did they dream that one up from?
Everywhere else is either 60 or 65, but 62???????? :lol:

It's because the life expectancy in Burslem is 63.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:06 am

lol :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:06 am

Good one Otis!! :lol: :lol:

SuperDon

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Etheridge, Demetriou, Pennington, Downing, Taylor; Mantom, Chambers; Forde, Sawyers, Hiwula, Bradshaw

SuperDon

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Subs
MacGillivray, Henry, Preston; Kinsella, Morris, Lalkovic, Cook

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Henry, Lalkovic, Preston, Morris, Cook, Kinsella.

So O'Connor not yet fit for selection, and Flanagan doesn't make the bench.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Once again listening to it on WM from work.

All my experiences of Oldham have been defeats so i'm glad i'm not there.

Heart says 0-2
Head says 1-1
:(

Will settle for a draw and i think ultimately the play offs.

Another day at Wembley anyone.

UTS

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:01 pm

What's this Henry on the bench?
Whitters out! :lol:

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:04 pm

ObiWan7 wrote:Once again listening to it on WM from work.

All my experiences of Oldham have been defeats so i'm glad i'm not there.

Heart says 0-2
Head says 1-1
:(

Will settle for a draw and i think ultimately the play offs.

Another day at Wembley anyone.

UTS

Not if it's like last time.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Elsewhere..... Port Vale 1 Crewe Alex 0 (2 min)

Millwall 0 Sloppies 1 (4 min)

UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:05 pm

saddla wrote:What's this Henry on the bench?
Whitters out! :lol:

Protecting his ankle?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Peterborough Utd 0 Rochdale 1 (10 min)

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:16 pm

According to the BBC report 83% possession to us :shock: