Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
PT
Site Addict

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Walsallone wrote:PT...thanks for report.....would you mind explaining your comment on Forde a little more for an old codger like me. I don't understand it....many thanks.

Sure. In the first half today, Forde did a lot of breaking up their play and setting up our own. He ran at their defence with a purpose and played some smart passes, linking up with Jason on the right really well.

But Forde was O'Driscoll's man wasn't he? I think SOD started him in every game. Forde was very public in his support for SOD's coaching ability. As soon as JW took over, Forde was dropped despite, in my opinion, being one of our better players. So whilst he started today it was virtually inevitable that he would be first change.
Last edited by PT on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Awful. Zero effort, so creativity, just terrible.

Downing is a clown of a defender. He is only passable if he has an elder statesmen in O'Connor or Butler to hold his hand.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 pm

dobbster71 wrote:We got Hiwula in, didn't we? Maybe he'll step-up if Tom's injured.
ye true. but i thought he was bought in to help tom, not instead of. he was immense on his last loan. but just hasn't had the same impact this time round.but like you say he may well step up and give us the goals that we so desperately need.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Well we were better than last week ( which would not be hard) and we did create a couple of chances today. Hiwula should have buried that chance in the 2nd half rather than ballooning it over the bar. We just seemed lacking in confidence. There was none of that forward vim & vigour from earlier in the season. Defensively Downing almost gifted them a goal earlier. Both teams looked distinctly average. Play remotely like this in the play-offs , assuming we do make it, and we haven't got a hope. Fairly depressing.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Just got back.

Certainly not going to question the manager over this one. I think the 11 selected was good enough to beat what was a really poor side.

The players do deserve some critism I'm afraid , the lack of urgency and desire is criminal. And I'm going to be brave here and criticise Bradshaw he is currently offering zero. Funny the lad on loan from Doncaster looked much the better player, hungry and Physical.

However in the end of the day we have been pretty cack since Smith left so if your looking for someone to blame he'd be top of my list.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:30 pm

just got back after driving back through a monsoon

blimey a great chance gone to close the gap today
started quite well with plenty of possession but as soon as we went into half time break after squandering a few chances you knew the script that Oldham would come out close us down foul us and win with a scabby goal.

ive nothing against Oldham lovely fans and ii do hope they stay up

we need to have a dose of realism this now becomes holding onto 6th spot
I'm not being negative in fact its almost a relief as we only really have Barnsley now to worry about with results and if we do overtake anyone then its a bonus again.
this is destined to be a Walsall v burton play off semi

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Just got back.

Certainly not going to question the manager over this one. I think the 11 selected was good enough to beat what was a really poor side.

The players do deserve some critism I'm afraid , the lack of urgency and desire is criminal. And I'm going to be brave here and criticise Bradshaw he is currently offering zero. Funny the lad on loan from Doncaster looked much the better player, hungry and Physical.

However in the end of the day we have been pretty cack since Smith left so if your looking for someone to blame he'd be top of my list.

Don't think that's unjustified at all. I said after last week he looks knackered or not interested. Whether through frustration or not, we need someone else for times like this. It's a shame that we seem to be falling behind other teams with a whimper. Pro players don't go out to lose a match but you need drive to pull your socks up and try and win games which we ain't doing. Perhaps we peaked too soon ?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:44 pm

The thing is with tom is he will have 1 chance in a game and he will take it. maybe we should be blaming the way the team is set up? and some of the players around him that are supposed to make the chances for him :?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks PT....I now understand your point,however JW does not seem to me to be that sort of guy. We will no doubt out find when contracts are offered at the end of the season.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:50 pm

chunkster wrote:The thing is with tom is he will have 1 chance in a game and he will take it. maybe we should be blaming the way the team is set up? and some of the players around him that are supposed to make the chances for him :?

We played 4-3-3 and especially first half we had great possession in their half and did nothing with it. Don't forget Bradshaw is also allowed to create chances for himself and others you can't expect everything to be put on a plate for the lad.

Hiwula looked the only player likely to score.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Utter cack, sooo depressing that this once flowing attacking team has become average/poor mid table dross, cannot see us winning another game this season after such another dismal display. We will get slaughtered at Gillingham on Tuesday, and Bradford will humiliate us.
Lets hope that the 'hungry' teams below us blow up like Burton, just think, two positive results last week and this and we would have been on level points
It was obvious when we went in at 0-0 at half time that Oldham would sneek a 1-0 win, and they did. They were very poor but had the spirit to cling on for a result which may well keep them in our League next season.
Will be OK for us NUTS as we will have Bolton & possibly Accrington to add to our away game portfolio next season. Don't imagine for one moment that we have any chance of promotion...it's over. Anyone witnessing that shambles would agree.
No imagination, no guile, no idea of how to attack, can't score, mediocrity has enveloped our squad. Sad. :(

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:12 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:just got back after driving back through a monsoon

blimey a great chance gone to close the gap today
started quite well with plenty of possession but as soon as we went into half time break after squandering a few chances you knew the script that Oldham would come out close us down foul us and win with a scabby goal.

ive nothing against Oldham lovely fans and ii do hope they stay up

we need to have a dose of realism this now becomes holding onto 6th spot
I'm not being negative in fact its almost a relief as we only really have Barnsley now to worry about with results and if we do overtake anyone then its a bonus again.
this is destined to be a Walsall v burton play off semi

Would take that, rather play them than Millwall or Bradford over two legs.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Utter cack, sooo depressing that this once flowing attacking team has become average/poor mid table dross, cannot see us winning another game this season after such another dismal display. We will get slaughtered at Gillingham on Tuesday, and Bradford will humiliate us.
Lets hope that the 'hungry' teams below us blow up like Burton, just think, two positive results last week and this and we would have been on level points
It was obvious when we went in at 0-0 at half time that Oldham would sneek a 1-0 win, and they did. They were very poor but had the spirit to cling on for a result which may well keep them in our League next season.
Will be OK for us NUTS as we will have Bolton & possibly Accrington to add to our away game portfolio next season. Don't imagine for one moment that we have any chance of promotion...it's over. Anyone witnessing that shambles would agree.
No imagination, no guile, no idea of how to attack, can't score, mediocrity has enveloped our squad. Sad. :(

so what do you think has gone so wrong AM?

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Not been the same since Evans moved on

With him and o Connor in the side we looked top 2

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 pm

The last two games have seen us beaten by sides who were far more up for the fight. So much for Witney the great motivator, but I think the players have to look at themselves really. How much do they want this?

I think the main issue is that we've lost our defensive solidarity, it's much easier to score against us than it used to be. Combine that with our lack of goals, which we just cannot shake, and things don't look good.

Promotion is their for the taking for any side who can put a run together, we still have time, but it's not looking likely. Burton are almost certain to lose to Wigan, so second spot will really open.

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:08 pm

For me the problem is Sawyers - the lad is obviously a very gifted player but he's been off form for a while and should have been given a rest a while ago. He works hard and was all over the pitch today but his passes were going astray too often and he seems scared to shoot. As all of our play seems to go through him no wonder we have no attacking threat.

I thought we were a bit better than previous weeks and Oldham were tough opposition fighting for their lives - but the manager needs to grasp the nettle or as AM says we've had it.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:26 pm

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Utter cack, sooo depressing that this once flowing attacking team has become average/poor mid table dross, cannot see us winning another game this season after such another dismal display. We will get slaughtered at Gillingham on Tuesday, and Bradford will humiliate us.

Walsall FC ever being formed most likely.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:42 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Maybe JB just didn't want promotion and all the work and angst involved....

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:46 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by chunkster on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:48 pm

Whitters wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Maybe JB just didn't want promotion and all the work and angst involved....

with the rewards involved this year i can't believe that :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:05 pm

I think sacking S O'D was evidence enough Bonser wanted promotion this season.

Just seen the highlights, Hiwula should've buried his chance.

And who was the defender out muscled in the build up to the goal, Downing or Pennington? Embarrassing and O'Connor can't come back soon enough, he's a massive miss.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:13 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I think sacking S O'D was evidence enough Bonser wanted promotion this season.

And who was the defender out muscled in the build up to the goal, Downing or Pennington? Embarrassing and O'Connor can't come back soon enough, he's a massive miss.

It was Pennington, shame as he was superb at times.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:15 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I think sacking S O'D was evidence enough Bonser wanted promotion this season.

yes i agree but it just goes to show how thin our squad is in depth. which will be our undoing.we rely on our best 11 taking to the field. but through the season it is always going to change. so we have to have players on the bench to be able to take the reins. and i don't think we have :(

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Awful display against the side with the worst home record in the league. Again we seemed to knock the ball around endlessly in areas which didn't hurt the opposition but then ended up often hitting futile long balls to no one in particular.
No disrespect intended to Anthony Gerrard but he seemed very overweight and immobile yet only on one occasion can I recall us running at him, which resulted in Jordan Cooke being blatantly obstructed on the edge of the area. We still have no Plan B and are increasingly being nullified far too easily by average opposition.

SWS1

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:55 pm

So, it's the playoffs for us (I hope - even that's not nailed on at this rate). However, if we can't beat Oldham, who've had a terrible season, we ain't going to get up via the playoffs. Still, it's been a great season. We'd be top two if it wasn't for SOD's rule but, judging by the last few weeks, hardly deserved. Looking forward to next season already.
:D :(

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:20 pm

Couldn't get there today but it seemed from the text updates on the BBC that we had most of the possession but again couldn't threaten a poor opposition...

From what I've read on here it seems that again we simply didnt press their defence but were more focused on pretty passing football with no actual end result - when this wears thin we then end up lumping balls up to TB who frankly is now showing signs of a long season of being asked to do a ridiculous job of trying to keep 2 defenders occupied until they eventually beat him in the battle..

If we continue to persist with this lack of creativity we may see a brilliant opportunity pass us by - teams like Bradford have the exact strategy for this situation - momentum and hard to beat (not scoring loads of goals - they've won their last 4 games 1-0) but they grind out results......

We seem to running out of drive and that surprises me given the boasts of Jon Whitney in the press etc - come on lads get a grip and get stuck in.. Pretty football does not get you through the playoffs - guts and fight do....

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:15 pm

chunkster wrote:

Despite the silly retorts at such a depressingly awful period of our season, I believe an over reliance on Bradders, who although constantly shackled by gorillas, has failed to achieve anywhere near what he is capable of, he is looking tired and frustrated, and to me adds very little to our ability to score goals any more, always with his back to goal, how can scoring opportunities come from such a stance? Though truly, who have we in our ranks that could 'fill in'? Again our lack of investment in a strong commanding striker will have led to our ultimate failure to get promotion.
Sawyers continues to frustrate beyond comprehension. Jordi is but a shadow of his former self (his blast over the bar today with the goal at his mercy is un-defendable). Taylor today looked so exhausted at the end of the match I genuinely believed he might collapse! All in all we have lost that rythym, that positivity, that self assurance that was so evident earlier in the season.
We have become an average mid table outfit that might get an occasional home win now and again, we are certainly not promotion candidates under any circumstance.
Once again I ask is there anyone out there who witnessed todays appalling capitulation that thinks we are 'really' strong enough at the moment to achieve promotion to the Championship? I think not.

UTS Legend

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:30 am

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:09 am

I was right behind Hiwula's second half effort, and it looked easier to score, but that was our only chance of note.

What was particularly worrying was how spectacularly we lost our shape after going a goal down. It initially appeared like Cook went out wide with Lalkovic through the middle when Bradshaw went off, with the two switching up minutes later. Very confused after Mantom went off, as Morris took up duties in the middle with Sawyers hogging the right touchline... then with five minutes to go, as Sawyers was bringing the ball out from right back with Demetriou drifting into central midfield, I noted Chambers making a run into the right wing position. Talk about all at sea!

Oldham were poor, we were utterly toothless.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:58 am

That was awful yesterday. Whitney's strength is motivating and we looked anything but. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but imagine how we would have done with some like Neil Warnock in charge. This team is good enough but is lacking leadership.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season