Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Fish
UTS Veteran

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League One, Apr 9, 3pm

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:01 pm

tinned wrote:
Walsallone wrote:What a sad depressing read.....the first time this season we have lost 2 consecutive games and we have posts calling for players to be dropped, the manager to publicly slate them and for them to be accused of not trying!!! Well i don't agree with any of that....we may not get promotion but I am proud of the team who have played so well all season and until last week had the best away record in the league. This team always tries,we are without our best defender and because our squad is small changes are difficult to make.
Instead of writing off our chances get behind our team who have done so well ....you also have to remember we lost our Manager mid season who had brought in,coached and nurtured a lot of these young men. The effect of that has been underestimated in my view and will probably the main reason we have lost a lot of fluidity.

Keeping an optimistic outlook is all well and good. I think it shold be served with a side dish of reality though.

Yes, a highly motivated team is one thing, but it will not win football matches on its own. A plan and tactics would be good, together with the ability to 'sus out' the opposition. On Saturday we desperately needed more pace and penetration in our attacks (and I don't mean hoofing it). We simply let a poor Oldham side get back behind the ball and paid the price.

That lack of penetration and fluidity has been a feature of our play during the second half of the season.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season