Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League One, 2nd April 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sheffield United (A) League One, 2nd April 3pm

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:01 pm

A trip to Bramall Lane for a meeting with the Blades, for whom this season has to rate as something of a disappointment so far. Their experience over the past few years almost mirrors that of Wigan Athletic - virtually unlimited funds for team building, a Premiership place, semi-finalists in Cup competitions, yet slipping down to League One status and only able to maintain a mid-table position. Sheffield United's "sugar daddy" took the form of Prince Abdullah bin Mosaad bin Abdulaziz al Saud of the Saudi Royal family in September 2013, who promised substantial new capital with the aim of returning the Blades to the Premiership as quickly as possible. Nigel Adkins was appointed Manager last June, following quite a few well-known names holding that post - Neil Warnock, Micky Adams, Bryan Robson, Danny Wilson and Nigel Cough have all had a go without too much success.

United currently sit in 13th place, 9 points away from the play-offs with only 7 games remaining. Billy Sharp leads their goalscorers with 17 to his name, followed by Che Adams with 9. One player of theirs will register with Saddlers' supporters - Florent Cuvelier the Belgian midfielder. He has suffered from severe knee injuries, and was loaned out to Burton Albion last season for match experience. His squad number is 33, but he doesn't seem to have figured recently. Sheffield United's current form:

1 Mar Burton Albion (H) Lost 0-1
5 Mar Fleetwood Town (A) Drew 2-2
12 Mar Oldham Athletic (H) Won 3-0
19 Mar Millwall (A) Lost 1-0
25 Mar Crewe Alexandra (H) Won 3-2
30 Mar Southend United (A) Lost 3-1

Selection for Jon Whitney & Co seems straightforward in one sense - our international players have not only acquitted themselves well, but no injuries have been reported. James O'Connor is therefore the only probable absentee for whom cover is needed (unless it's decided to play Preston as a support for Tom Bradshaw after the heroics against Colchester United). We know that Bryn Morris has returned to Middlesbrough, but Matthew Pennington the Everton loanee will no doubt figure in Jon's plans.

Prediction? Sheffield United come to the game having just lost to Southend United 3-1. No red cards there, just a yellow to the appropriately named Chris Basham. I'll have to opt for a 0-2 win for the Saddlers for this one, with Bradshaw (naturally) and Sawyers sharing the goals. Etheridge to do a "Ron Green" and save a penalty in the 93rd minute........ :mrgreen:

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Re: Sheffield United (A) League One, 2nd April 3pm

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 pm

:lol: Offer here

What you been doing Welsh.......

Nice to see your usual thread back

UTS

:D Offer

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 pm

*DOFFER* wrote::lol: Offer here

What you been doing Welsh.......

Nice to see your usual thread back

UTS

:D Offer

Hi :D offer ........ to use a well-known phrase about retirement - "I don't know how I ever found the time to go out to work" !!

As to my "usual thread" - thanks for the comment. I haven't missed a League One game thread this season (yet!), but I may well need some help if it gets to be Championship time in August....... :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:55 pm

Bramall lane is it...1-1.....fudge it 1-3 to the Saddlers as Burton win 2-0. :(

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:54 am

Hoping to make this one, work permitting. My last time at Bramall Lane was the 0-2 in the FA Cup 4th Round years ago. Used to enjoy drinking in Sheffield before the game - is The Globe still there?

700 tickets sold I believe. A gritty 1-0 to The Saddlers.

firreblade

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:41 am

Welsh...... I thought you would of put this thread up from last week, iv been twiddling my thumps all of Easter holidays with no games, bored cack less. I reckon you would have about a million hits by now with all the bored saddlers :lol: anyhow I am going for a 0-3 Saddlers win due to the players rearing to go after the break and the international players coming back with confidence. Goals from Bradders 2 and Mantom 1. :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:17 pm

firreblade wrote:Welsh...... I thought you would of put this thread up from last week, iv been twiddling my thumps all of Easter holidays with no games, bored cack less. I reckon you would have about a million hits by now with all the bored saddlers :lol: anyhow I am going for a 0-3 Saddlers win due to the players rearing to go after the break and the international players coming back with confidence. Goals from Bradders 2 and Mantom 1. :D

Yes, sorry for that delay - I deliberately waited until the Southend Utd v Sheffield Utd game had been played, so that at least the Blades' form was up to date (and there's always the hope that a couple of red cards might have affected their team selection!). :D

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:22 am

Just setting off. I will be easily recognised as the miserable pack horse standing outside shops in Meadowhall with outstreched arms full of bags containing wimins clothes.

Away trips to places like Sheffield should be banned or contained to Mid-week.

That is all.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:06 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
firreblade wrote:Welsh...... I thought you would of put this thread up from last week, iv been twiddling my thumps all of Easter holidays with no games, bored cack less. I reckon you would have about a million hits by now with all the bored saddlers :lol: anyhow I am going for a 0-3 Saddlers win due to the players rearing to go after the break and the international players coming back with confidence. Goals from Bradders 2 and Mantom 1. :D

Yes, sorry for that delay - I deliberately waited until the Southend Utd v Sheffield Utd game had been played, so that at least the Blades' form was up to date (and there's always the hope that a couple of red cards might have affected their team selection!). :D
You don't half command some respect on here welshy. no one would dare post this thread without you starting it. They would rather go without :lol: :wink:
on the prediction. 0-3 to the saddlers. sheffield are cack :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:21 am

Leatherman wrote:Just setting off. I will be easily recognised as the miserable pack horse standing outside shops in Meadowhall with outstreched arms full of bags containing wimins clothes.

Away trips to places like Sheffield should be banned or contained to Mid-week.

That is all.

Seems to have been a Tuesday night fixture for many, many years, today just unfortunate for you my friend.
I've now got to charm the missus into also letting me go to Oldham next Saturday, after she had pencilled in a visit to Cheshire Oaks shopping Centre, also for wimins clothes! :lol: :lol:

SuperDon

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Team - Etheridge, Pennington, Downing, Taylor; Demetriou, Mantom, Flanagan, Chambers, Henry; Sawyers, Bradshaw
Last edited by SuperDon on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperDon

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Subs
MacGillivray, Preston, Kinsella, Morris, Forde, Lalkovic, Hiwula

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Two changes from our last outing- Pennington in for O'Connor, and Flanagan makes his first start in 400 years, with Hiwula on the bench.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:23 pm

Sat in The Devonshire Cat trying to make sense of that team selection!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:37 pm

A bit more stickability up top with Sawyers playing more advanced, with Mantom at the head of a midfield diamond, it appears.

Team selections like this do provide a convenient reminder to steer clear of social media, though- we appear to have already lost, wih Flanagan needing transfer listing, and questions as to why Lalkovic isn't starting ahead of him... in this formation?! Give me strength.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:38 pm

EvenFlow wrote:Two changes from our last outing- Pennington in for O'Connor, and Flanagan makes his first start in 400 years, with Hiwula on the bench.

Presumably Preston is going to be used as an impact centre-forward sub in the 85th minute??? :?

(Edit - The betting exchanges have Sheffield United as favourites to win this............) :shock:

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Not sure on that selection.

Could be tactical genius, or tactical dodgyness, guess we'll know by 4:55.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Given we should be fresh not having played for a bit, plus our awesome away record, I expect at least a point today.

UTS

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Spooky....... 10 minutes gone, and no goals anywhere in league One....... :?

(Edit.... I take that back - Swindon Town 0 Fleetwood Town 1 (11 min))

Peterborough 1 Crewe Alex 0

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Important score from the borders...... Sloppies 1 Wigan Athletic 0 (30 min) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And simultaneously.... Sheffield United 1 Walsall 0 :( :( :( :(

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Shrewsbury 1 - 1 Wigan... now our turn

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:35 pm

It didn't take long.... Sloppies 1 Wigan 1 now....

Oh dear.... 2-0 to the Blades now :(

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:36 pm

not taking advantage of the current Wigan slip-up

Losing 0-1 and we have Morris, Lalkovic, Forde and Hiwula all on the bench....seems like we are not set up to score

deldras
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Oh dear :oops:

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:39 pm

sallian wrote:not taking advantage of the current Wigan slip-up

Losing 0-1 and we have Morris, Lalkovic, Forde and Hiwula all on the bench....seems like we are not set up to score

And right on cue look what piece of crap has come back to gloat because we are 1-0 down.
Sod off !
Last edited by Welsh_Saddler on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try not to avoid the swear filter :-)

sallian
Glitterati

Andy_Petterson wrote:Given we should be fresh not having played for a bit, plus our awesome away record, I expect at least a point today.

UTS

I expect a loss, the end of the Whitney run of enthusiasm and the realization of the loss of experience and tactical knowledge in the form of Sean O'Driscoll

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

This is the Wigan slip-up that sees them drawing 1-1..........do keep up. :roll:

DavidWFC2010
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Time to change it Hiwula on for Flanagan and go two up top

SuperDon

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Need to get a goal back before half time :(

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Dont rise to 'it' PINNACLE, not worth it

Everybody just ignore it please. It's hard enough when your losing.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season