Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League One, 2nd April 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Re: Sheffield United (A) League One, 2nd April 3pm

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:26 am

Got back late after deciding that the Sheffield Tap was a good option for sorrow drowning and missed a couple of trains. Gave me time to reflect on a pretty poor performance. Given that every game is vital, too many players didn't perform and we were outmuscled too often. Yes, the ref let them get away with stuff but you just feel that earlier in the season we would have worked out how to outmanoeuvre them. Nobody apart from Pennington and perhaps Etheridge played well, although difficult to criticise Tom as he spent the afternoon battling their centre halves with dire service and no support - Jordi offered zilch when he came on.

Surprising selection which left our right side exposed and Jason against Done and often one other with no cover. Seems to me that we have to go back to wingers which gives us more of a goal threat and covers the full backs. Would also give Sawyers more options for distribution. Forde, Milan or Morris offer much more going forward. We have to resolve the Rico/Andy Taylor conundrum as Rico is not a left winger, so to play him there removes an attacking threat. One of them has to be picked at left back and then one of the wingers in front. Also feel that another midfielder on loan would have been useful as Mantom has been off the pace in the last few games that I've seen (didn't make it to Chesterfield though).

Frustrating as Burton only drew and even a point would have kept us right in touch with them.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:49 am

Seeing the highlights the first goal was a great ball in. Right on the point for a keeper to have nightmares about and it took a bounce just over Taylor.

The second goal looked dreadful. If we want Rico to play left back then he has to defend better than he did! Wasn't that their centre half that tucked him up and made the cross? We then proceeded to have 6 against 2 in the box and allow Sharp all the time in the world to control and score.

Lesson to be learnt, stop the crosses!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:53 am

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Seeing the highlights the first goal was a great ball in. Right on the point for a keeper to have nightmares about and it took a bounce just over Taylor.

The second goal looked dreadful. If we want Rico to play left back then he has to defend better than he did! Wasn't that their centre half that tucked him up and made the cross? We then proceeded to have 6 against 2 in the box and allow Sharp all the time in the world to control and score.

Lesson to be learnt, stop the crosses!

O'Connor was massively missed here, not sure on the 2nd which was a very good finish which you expect from Sharp but the first one I think O'Connor would've anticipated and positioned himself to head the cross away.

Pennington looked tidy yesterday, good with the ball at his feet so as someone else said Downing could be the fallguy for the run in when JOC is fit again.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:10 am

Easy parking. That's the good bit over with.

I, like many others was surprised by Flannagans inclusion and I will be interested to hear Whitney's rationale, but until then I'll keep my own council on that on.

The shape: 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 was what I expected with Hiwula upfront with Bradshaw and Pennington in for O'Connor in a back 3 including Taylor and Downing; Henry and Demitriou as Wing-backs; Mantom Sawyers and Chambers in their normal midfield role - the side that started the second half.

Sheffield began with the same formation which pretty much cancelled each other out. The main difference being that when we had the ball they pressed us far more effectively than we did them and our midfield struggled to create anything of note. Sawyers and Bradshaw both out of the game for long periods if you exclude the long punts up the field to them. This because we were unable to play the ball out of defence and through midfield. Lack of movement and desire for the ball being the main factors.

both of their goals were the result of a couple of pieces of skill; anyone remotely interested in football has to admire Sharp's finish. I thought it was superb at the time but looks even better in the highlights

In contrast, Ford scuffed a shot wide of their left hand post when maybe he could have done better and Bradshaw ought to have done better with the three opportunities he had although the header never really troubled their keeper.

Sawyers is proving to be the average player he is and whilst improving in the second half when dropping into midfield following Hiwulas entry, didn't do half as much as he should have.

Contrary to others, I thought Hiwula did OK when coming on and as most of our chances came in the second half with him being closely involved would start him next time ahead of Sawyers with Morris and Lalkovic seriously considered for inclusion.

Etheridge? I'll tell no lies: that fudge frustrates the hell out of me. He made an excellent save in the first half, similar to the one against Colchester at the near post, but takes so bloody long in getting the ball outfield from goal kicks I thought the ref was going to book him for time wasting!

In his defence however he did pick Henry out with a quick goal kick which saw us win a corner which might have, on another day, seen his cross slotted in by Bradshaw.

Thoroughly disappointed; didn't see that coming at all.

P.S. Never saw the inside of a boozer either; what a fudge day! :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:35 am

What frustrated me most, apart from the totally inept and unconvincing performance, was the fact that EVERYONE knows that the Blades have ALWAYS succeeded with great wing play. We supported them all the way to let them have a great day out, and to them it was like a practice match against their reserves, very little opposition.
Did Witney & the staff do ANY pre match observation? And again, what on earth prompted the selection of 'little boy lost' Flanagan?
I don't mind losing, after 55+ years of watching Walsall it's something you get used to, but the lack of effort and guile was infuriating, we have deffo forgotten how to score (again), where has the free flowing attacking excitement gone? very disappointing, lets hope we can hang on to our Play Off place with a few draws, but the teams below us are full of enthusiastic quality just at the right moment, we have gone downhill to mediocrity....Has the moronic SOD disruption ruined our season? We hope not.
Sorry about shouting by the way!
And I agree, great cheap parking in abundance. Two plus points then, having also met up with Sheff again, who can get as het up as me at times, especially when the gorillas in white were getting away with rugby tackles!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:25 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:What frustrated me most, apart from the totally inept and unconvincing performance, was the fact that EVERYONE knows that the Blades have ALWAYS succeeded with great wing play. We supported them all the way to let them have a great day out, and to them it was like a practice match against their reserves, very little opposition.
Did Witney & the staff do ANY pre match observation? And again, what on earth prompted the selection of 'little boy lost' Flanagan?
I don't mind losing, after 55+ years of watching Walsall it's something you get used to, but the lack of effort and guile was infuriating, we have deffo forgotten how to score (again), where has the free flowing attacking excitement gone? very disappointing, lets hope we can hang on to our Play Off place with a few draws, but the teams below us are full of enthusiastic quality just at the right moment, we have gone downhill to mediocrity....Has the moronic SOD disruption ruined our season? We hope not.
And I agree, great cheap parking in abundance. Two plus points then, having also met up with Sheff again, who can get as het up as me at times, especially when the gorillas in white were getting away with rugby tackles!

I'll Shout back.....it's ONE FACKING GAME. :lol:

Billy Sharp, that Adams kid and Matt Done is a very good forward line for this division, I assume you heard Radio Rochdale after every game a while back praising Done to the high heavens.

No idea what Sheffield have been doing all season to be that low in the league, with that strikeforce they should be top 2 no problem, I'm sure your bank balance would probably agree. :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:33 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:What frustrated me most, apart from the totally inept and unconvincing performance, was the fact that EVERYONE knows that the Blades have ALWAYS succeeded with great wing play. We supported them all the way to let them have a great day out, and to them it was like a practice match against their reserves, very little opposition.

You're nuts, AM (and I don't mean Northern UpThe Saddlers) :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:45 am

I was returning home yesterday so didn't listen to the commentary. From those that went, it all sounds like a disappointing day, particularly with Burton slipping up.

Feel that we have to win next week if we realistically expect to catch Burton.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Frustrating afternoon. Never really looked like threatening at all, particularly in the first half. Shades of SOD about the whole affair really. I know there's still time but more performances like that and we'll only just make the top 6.

Not a lot more to say without repeating what others have said- Flanagan, etc. Bramall Lane is a nice ground but their supporters were shocking- about 19,000 of them there and not a peep whatsoever, even at 2-0. Good noisy away following from us even if the frustration did start to creep in in the second half.

Highlight was hearing some of our lot singing asking for a programme from the bloke wandering around selling them :lol:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:24 pm

otiswfc wrote:Sawyers literally hasn't got the basic ability to be able to strike a ball properly he scored that worldy at blackpool that must have been a fluke because he hasn't done anything like that since

Peterborough?
Colchester?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:38 pm

Wragbyred wrote:
otiswfc wrote:Sawyers literally hasn't got the basic ability to be able to strike a ball properly he scored that worldy at blackpool that must have been a fluke because he hasn't done anything like that since

Peterborough?
Colchester?

Oldham on the opening day?

My criticism of Sawyers is that he doesn't take responsibility, preferring to lay it off all the time.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:48 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

I'll Shout back.....it's ONE FACKING GAME. :lol:

Billy Sharp, that Adams kid and Matt Done is a very good forward line for this division, I assume you heard Radio Rochdale after every game a while back praising Done to the high heavens.

No idea what Sheffield have been doing all season to be that low in the league, with that strikeforce they should be top 2 no problem, I'm sure your bank balance would probably agree. :wink:

Indeed, the proceeds of a Wigan/Blades top two would have netted me a handsome bucket of cash, got me to Florida on the Dreamliner at the front end in the posh seats + enough to pay of my student debts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Hold on a minute, I did MY 7 years of study as part time/day release...I shouldn't have student debts! send for those men in white coats with the pills, I'll feel better then. :mrgreen:

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:03 pm

One other thing, thought we should have had a penalty in the first half when the free kick hit the hand of the guy at the end of the wall. We were sat down the side and were right behind it. Whitney and Cutler had a real go at the 4th official. If the Danny Rose incident was a pen for Holland, that was definitely one for us, the Blade moved his hand out as he jumped.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:41 pm

saddler79 wrote:Well done Andy you haven't disappointed. Exactly the expected reponse as he is one of the 'untouchables'. Glad you enjoyed his hard tackling, work rate and fluency he brought in linking our defence to attack today. Countless times he found useful space and played that killer pass today. Reminded me of that pre-christmas form and looked just like the sawyers we saw with the swagger away at Blackpool for example. If his performance made you content with the £20 in and petrol both ways then fair play to you.

Back to a touch of reality for a second. Sawyers' work rate isnt meant to be tracking back!! Its meant to be high up the pitch and hurting teams!! He has either been reading his own press or has a contract else where. Its that simple. We have been carrying him for about 4 months and its time to bench him.

I am a positive walsall fan and will never openly boo players. I LOVE to be proved wrong if it is for the good of the team. I have been one of the biggest critics of Adam Chambers in seasons gone by but am absolutely delighted by the way he is playing. Total revelation. HE is a player we are lucky to have!!

You've gone and done it now! Dared to question Sawyers????? The shadowy figures will be making their way to your house :lol:

He's a very talented lad but it's damn obvious he doesn't influence games to aything like a level he should.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 am

For what its worth.
Shocking display.
Two poor defensive errors let them score two goals.
Pass sideways and backwards.
Lumping it forward to a player who was smaller than two centre halves.
Whitney interview after match was cringe worthy.
I am sure I must have witnessed a one off and normal service will resume next week.
UTS

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:02 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

Peterborough?
Colchester?

My criticism of Sawyers is that he doesn't take responsibility, preferring to lay it off all the time.

Sawyers has proven he can score from range, but never chooses to shoot. It's frustrating.

He was excellent up until 2016, but hasn't been the same player since. We've got the old Sawyers back now, flashes of inspiration here and there, but doesn't influence the game nearly enough in my opinion.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:59 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

Peterborough?
Colchester?

Ok then Blackpool, Peterborough, Colchester and Oldham on the opening game that is the complete extent of Sawyers goal scoring ability in the league this season he's scored against 4 teams in the league this season his last goal was nearly 6 months ago, if anyone tells me that is anything other than absolute cack they are not only talking bollocks they are kidding themselves it's an absolute shocking goals return.
Drop him play Morris behind Bradshaw and Hiwula and let's see if that works I guarantee it would be better than what we saw on Saturday.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:07 pm

otiswfc wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

Peterborough?
Colchester?

Ok then Blackpool, Peterborough, Colchester and Oldham on the opening game that is the complete extent of Sawyers goal scoring ability in the league this season he's scored against 4 teams in the league this season his last goal was nearly 6 months ago, if anyone tells me that is anything other than absolute cack they are not only talking bollocks they are kidding themselves it's an absolute shocking goals return.
Drop him play Morris behind Bradshaw and Hiwula and let's see if that works I guarantee it would be better than what we saw on Saturday.

I don't think that many would argue with you on his poor goals return, Otis. Your contention that he cannot strike a ball properly though is a different matter. The goal against Oldham. was as clean a strike as you will see.

He needs to shoot more.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
otiswfc wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:

Peterborough?
Colchester?

I don't think that many would argue with you on his poor goals return, Otis. Your contention that he cannot strike a ball properly though is a different matter. The goal against Oldham. was as clean a strike as you will see.

He needs to shoot more.

Put it like this then if someone had a gun up to your head and you had to pick a Walsall player to score a penalty or the gun would go off would you pick Sawyers? would you fudge I know I wouldn't I'd probably pick any other player in the squad than him he'd trip over the ball and I'd be a dead man :(

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season