Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) March 19th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) March 19th, 3pm

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:49 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Had many people left before the 89th minute?

There were quite a few leaving with 10-15 minutes still to go.

Booing on the way out shouting abuse.

They belong in the fudge drain.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Shame on you tossers who left early. Disgraceful.

The upper 4 was absolute mayhem when that 2nd went in. I'm pretty sure I was sexually assulted.

GET THE fudge IN!!!! :D

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Just shows leave at your peril, these lads don't give up under Whitney

Get the f**k in you saddlers !!

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:54 pm

We were shocking, cack, barclays, crap, fudge useless

but who cares (if you're not from Colchester).

We won't get as lucky again this season - and I'm deeply afeared about O'Connor on crutches :(

It's still on :D

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:55 pm

89 minutes of dire football from us. We started off with lots of promise but Col U did a very good job on us and were up for the challenge, Their goal came from a corner, Etheridge had made a good save the previous time they had tried it but we weren't alert enough. I though Col U were a decent enough side when we played at their place but they still have the same weaknesses as then despite grafting hard for 90 minutes.
We could have had no complaint if we had lost, If I was driving all the way back to Colchester now I'd be gutted but the boot has been on the other foot plenty of times throughout the years and it's good to be on the winning side.
good decision to take Kinsella and Henry off as we needed more presence but there were any number of below par performances today.
Glad, in many ways,that we have no games over Easter, hopefully both O'Connor and Chambers, who was a big miss today, will be recovered.
Officials were awful, ref was over fussy about petty things whilst letting pushes and pulling go unpunished.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:55 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:Had many people left before the 89th minute?
Many were leaving on 80 mins. Never understood why people leave early. Especially with only one goal on it. Their loss.

What a finale though! UTS

It's always the same.
We're on a good run so the part timers turn up thinking they can tag on to the winning run but as soon as we go behind they can't wait to leave early.
Even worse when we have these low price offers because it attracts even more if the "supporters" that are only interested when we're winning.

Great finale though.... which is why those going for years stay behind... because with Walsall you never know how it's going to end right to those final seconds.
Renewed my season ticket before the game and looking forward to next season whatever league we're in!

Upper The Saddlers! #believe
Last edited by SaddlerSteve on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:You all got what you wanted....be happy with the bed you made, lie down and shut up

You were saying? :lol:

I stick to my words.....the performance proves the limits of enthusiasm, at the moment the club have enjoyed three false victories.

Walsall supporters in the majority, wanted the sacking of an experienced, wise, technically & tactically knowledgeable manager with a proven track record....in favour of a physio because he made the players smile.

And for all we know...Whitney may well have had something to do with the bad results under O'Driscoll...as he may have been turning the players against the manager....perhaps O'Driscoll corrected Whitney on something...and Whitney, like the egotistical children on this board...couldn't take it....and was then his sworn enemy with an agenda against him....along with serving his own ambitions for management.

Whitney has said some back-stabbing things since O'Driscoll's departure which tell me that Whitney maybe a disloyal individual who doesn't recognize his own limits and respect those who know more than he does.

And don't forget Whitney wanted the job before O'Driscoll arrived and so was perhaps begrudging from the beginning.

A goal going in during stoppage time, against the overwhelming rub the match does not prove I am wrong.

You will I expect learn in time that I am right.

Even if we scrape promotion this season, and unlikely to.

Whitney in my view does not have the ability and knowledge to keep us in division above which is many levels above this division in terms of quality.

O'Driscoll I would have given a good chance though.....but the illiterate, emotional, reactionary and clueless majority got their way....

So let us see how it turns out in the long term....

If I was abetting man I would millions on my analysis being correct.....but keep on cheering the happy misguided bandwagon while it lasts.
Last edited by sallian on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Nice one again Welsh! :roll:

Wtf is wrong with people on here! If I wasn't so happy I would be face palming now
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:00 pm

At this point in season points are all that matters. Get in :D

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:03 pm

latviancheese wrote:Most of the game can be summed up in one moment. Lalkovic was clean through on goal and he turned backwards and passed it. :lol:

Feck it, E I E I E I O

Just after he did that I turned to my uncle and said "the one time that greedy, ball hogging fool actually needs to shoot he decides to pass it to someone... Scunthorpe".

3 points later though I agree .... Feck it!! E I E I E I O! :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:04 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:At this point in season points are all that matters. Get in :D

This

9 points from 9 since the change in manager. Chambers is mossiv for us. We now have a week off to get him back or bring someone n

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:10 pm

firstly you have to say sorry to Colchester for daylight robbery but you also have to praise this team for not giving up.

no real highlights to pick out of the match apart from the 88th minute onwards.
2 real poachers goals and this result may be more important than the performance by a longshot.

onwards and upwards now looks like a 3 way fight for 2 positions

the break may do us good with the injuries although I think o'connors may be season long.

use the loan window to strengthen defence get chambers back and this team might just do it.

#ibelieve

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:12 pm

For promotion you need spirit and fight when all looks lost. That is exactly the aspect that had been lost under SOD. Today's game would have been another 3 points gone. Even under Deano!

You can have all the ability but if you don't fight until the end you've got no chance. Colchester have a habit of beating us at home when we are flying I remember at least 3 defeats when we were expected to tonk them.

As the two posters above have said; all that matters at this stage of the season is points and we have 9 out of 9 with our new boss. Buzzing! Gutted for those that left and missed the scenes!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 pm

coop63 wrote:No idea how we got 3 points out of that but sooooo relieved - amazing!!!!

For 88 minutes (and everyone must agree) we were dog awful and with a few minor exceptions, had a very lacklustre appearance all over the pitch...

I'm worried about our experienced duo if Chambo and O'Connor both being crocked so hopefully the extended break will help us there...

Unbelievable feeling when that second goal went in...

The U's will be wondering what happened to them in the last 5 minutes as we finally realised that you need to attack to score!!!

Downing needs some coaching help to get his distribution sorted out as he simply gave every ball away today..

I'll take the 3 points but work to be done if we are going to worry Wigan...

UTS

Like he has done for the majority of the season, the 'worldy' passes he try's are astonishing considering he struggles to find a man from 5 yards.

Chambo IOW

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 pm

For those there, what formation were we playing at the end? Sawyers Lalkovic Morris Hiwula & Bradshaw all on the pitch at the same time??

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:14 pm

sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:You all got what you wanted....be happy with the bed you made, lie down and shut up

You were saying? :lol:

I stick to my words.....the performance proves the limits of enthusiasm, at the moment the club have enjoyed three false victories.

Walsall supporters in the majority, wanted the sacking of an experienced, wise, technically & tactically knowledgeable manager with a proven track record....in favour of a physio because he made the players smile.

And for all we know...Whitney may well have had something to do with the bad results under O'Driscoll...as he may have been turning the players against the manager....perhaps O'Driscoll corrected Whitney on something...and Whitney, like the egotistical children on this board...couldn't take it....and was then his sworn enemy with an agenda against him....along with serving his own ambitions for management.

Whitney has said some back-stabbing things since O'Driscoll's departure which tell me that Whitney maybe a disloyal individual who doesn't recognize his own limits and respect those who know more than he does.

A goal going in during stoppage time, against the overwhelming rub the match does not prove I am wrong.

You will I expect learn in time that I am right.

Even if we scrape promotion this season, and unlikely to.

Whitney in my view does not have the ability and knowledge to keep us in division above which is many levels above this division in terms of quality.

O'Driscoll I would have given a good chance though.....but the illiterate, emotional, rectionary and clueless majority go their way....

So let us see how it turns out in the long term....

If I was abetting man I would millions on my analysis being correct.....but keep on cheering the happy misguided bandwagon while it lasts.

Just for you funk :lol: :lol: :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:15 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:At this point in season points are all that matters. Get in :D

Absolutely!

Not a great deal to add on top of what others have said - we looked out of sorts and were genuinely second best for about 91 minutes of the game.

I know some will disagree, but I just don't think two up front works with our current squad. In the first half today, we had Hiwula and Bradshaw both wanting to come short, and then both Sawyers and Mantom wanting to play 'in the hole'. What we ended up with at times was four of our players clustered within a 10 metre square - no wonder we were so easy to pick off.

I worry about our prospects if O'Connor's injury is a serious one too. Preston and Downing were all over the place and given a complete runaround by Chris Porter today. For Presto's heroics in the final third, his positional sense and reading of the ball was generally really poor. The only point to make in his and Downing's defence is the fact that the midfield in front of them was largely anonymous, so they ended up with no option but to lump it long.

For my money, we have to play Morris from the start at home. He's the only creative play we've got who'll have a shot from 25 yards, or cut in from wide to join in. A lot of our other options are that little bit too happy to be marked for me. Other than one decent move in the first half, I thought Bradshaw and Hiwula simply didn't work as a partnership - neither did a thing until Bradshaw nabbed his goal, which I appreciate is exactly what he's in the side to do.

Lastly, on the off chance any Colchester fans are reading this message board tonight, you have my sympathy. You were the better side, but if you choose to defend so painfully deep with just injury time le on the clock, you make it fairly easy for a side as poor as we were today to score a goal. I don't think I've ever seen an away team drop that deep!

Very few positives to take from the performance, but definitely positives in how much it meant to Whitney and the players at the end. Hopefully the circumstances surrounding the result and the end to out home hoodoo will set a benchmark for the rest of the season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Chambo IOW wrote:For those there, what formation were we playing at the end? Sawyers Lalkovic Morris Hiwula & Bradshaw all on the pitch at the same time??

It was basically a 4-1-3-2 towards the end. And then a 3-1-3-3 when we chucked Preston up front.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:21 pm

1. Lethal Bradshaw finish yet again.

2. Matt Preston was outstanding in the air all game, not so much on the floor but didn't lose a header...and won one to set up Tom.

3. I'm so happy it's unreal.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:29 pm

We need to find a different way to play at home, teams have definitely worked us out. They get their front players to press our defence and then we resort to hitting long hopeful balls to a 5ft 10in forward who is marked by a 6ft+ centre half. Madness. Whitney needs to work on this.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:29 pm

If we are going to hoof the ball up field (as much as we did today) we need a forward who can compete in the air. Playing Preston up front today proved that.

Bradshaw should be begging for Preston to play there every match.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:35 pm

yes i know i only have myself to blame. but 3 fudgin mins though? :roll: i know we were poor today. but is it me. henry seems to want to go backwards when he has the ball? where have those runs at defenders gone? he used to frighten them to death. why where we so poor with our passing decisions today? we gave the ball away so often it was untrue. i thought that we where playing against ourselves for large parts of the game?. against a better team we would have gifted them at least 3 more goals. and why are we so bad at set pieces? we had at least 3 free kicks in areas that should have produced better results. and something else i have noticed. it seems to me that downing hates passing the ball to james demitriou? and why am i starting to sound like sallian :lol:
on the plus side though. just what the doctor ordered. a very ugly win. boy do we need those. i wouldn't feel sorry for colchester though. look at how many times the same thing has happened to us over the season. up the saddlers :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Sadsfan wrote:We need to find a different way to play at home, teams have definitely worked us out. They get their front players to press our defence and then we resort to hitting long hopeful balls to a 5ft 10in forward who is marked by a 6ft+ centre half. Madness. Whitney needs to work on this.
did i read somewhere that preston came to the club as a striker after scoring about 90 goals in the birmingham league as a youngster. and we turned him into a defender? or was that another player?

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Very very poor team performance, to be consigned immediately to the history books.
Not enough urgency and although I could not accuse anyone of not trying, I would accuse a few of not trying hard enough.
Collectively they didn't look as if they wanted it enough, especially considering where we are in the league and what's at stake.
Taylor and Bradshaw were the pick of our players and Preston had a major impact upfront in the last few minutes.
How Hiwula was given Man of the Match is beyond me as nothing he tried came off and his control was poor.
Not enough tempo in our play made it easy to defend against, again.
I've said it many times before, but I would leave out Sawyers at home and play him away.
Happy to say that after all that we still have everything to play for, but we must find a solution to the conundrum that is our home form.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:59 pm

Special mention to Master Kinsella, while the 'older' heads were falling apart the young man kept his and didn't put a foot wrong.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:03 pm

That performance was terrible Taylor and Bradshaw played well the rest were like non league player's anything anyone tried failed from a simple pass to a shot from range it was awful, Hiwula looked as though he'd borrowed Sawyers's legs for the game his shooting was that bad but then Sawyers had another bad game and that shot he had in the first half was worse than the fans trying to hit the crossbar at half time.
Does any of that matter? not really like people used to say about Manchester United a sign of a good team is when they play badly and still win.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Especially on days when we have promotions fans leave 10-15 minutes before the end if we are not winning and today was no different, except that they missed the most exciting 5 minutes we have seen all season. The atmosphere was magic and it serves them right, it can't be good for the players to see people walking out while they are still trying to entertain us. You would not do that in a theatre or boxing match!

Then the fact that Sawyers gets involved in the game as much as he does he is bound to lose the ball occasionally or make mistakes, however he reads the game better than most but he is always the one who gets the flack. Today, I believe that it was Sawyers telling Preston to get upfront at the end and it worked as he was involved in both goals. As someone said above Preston wins his headers and could be the plan B we need on occasion.

Me, I stay right until the end but I am Optimistic, I never expected that though. Amazing!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:13 pm

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm embarrassed to take those three points.

But I will take them...

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:32 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:If we are going to hoof the ball up field (as much as we did today) we need a forward who can compete in the air. Playing Preston up front today proved that.

Bradshaw should be begging for Preston to play there every match.
I`ve been saying that all season but what do us poor fans know.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season