Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) League One, Tues 15 March 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
PT
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) League One, Tues 15 March 7.45pm

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Pretty poor performance but a magnificent result.

Nice.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Well done to those who went and to Jon and the team.....I listened to the match on WM and it sounded a real battle. Some times however you have to grind out a result and we did! I was pleased our goalie did well after a ropey two or three games. I hope Chambers isn't out for too long although it sounded to me that Kinsella did well.....perhaps Osbourne will suddenly become fit and help us out!!!!!!

One time faithful

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 pm

philthesaddler wrote:God those highlights make it look like a one sided match - the only Walsall attack in that package was the goal! Please someone tell me it wasn't that bad?

Massive game on Saturday now, we can do it away from home but if we can't win at home we ain't gonna do it.

This is the kind of result that gets you promoted. Any team can win on their day but "grinding out results" is what is needed at this stage of a campaign

This is what makes me believe the management appointment it the right one not a 4-1 away win(no matter how great the day was)

Playing good football, entertainment and things to push for is what it's all about

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:17 am

They were great, fair play to em, Fleetwood. Not sure how different they were to the team we played in the FA Cup but I doubt we'd of brushed them aside as we apparently did if they were (Didn't make that game).

Etheridge's save - Unreal. the TV pictures don't do it justice IMO, it was outstanding.

Bradshaw's finish - Clinical.

Andy Taylor - Happy Birthday mate, you were a different class last night.

Great atmosphere second half too...Maxxxxweelllll.

portlandbill
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:24 am

A win Saturday and we could have Burton in our sights! No chicken counting yet though. Well done the team.Players coaches et all.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:33 am

Great result against a useful Fleetwood side who were far better than when we played them earlier in the season. They took the game to us and played some really neat stuff. For the first half and hour or so we looked disjointed and couldn't manage to string much in the way of any moves together or retain possession. As the first half came to an end we started to show something of the football that we have come to expect and in the second half, after the goal, there was a ten minute spell where they couldn't live with us.

It would be churlish to criticise anyone after tonight's win, suffice to say that Etheridge's performance will live long in the memory...particularly that save deep into injury time (BTW the ref played 7 nail-biting minutes not the six that was generously awarded in the first place) from Andy Cole's lad, Devante. Released from Man City and having arrived via Bradford, he looks a real steal.

Great night. Great support. Neat friendly stadium - 331 Saddlers there, or thereabouts.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 am

Good hard fought and battling performance. Coffee scolded my tongue, I had a heart attack when I thought Bradshaw's goal was going to hit my in the face and then much to my delight it crept in the top corner.

Neil Etheridge was absolutely outstanding, probably his best overall game for us.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:55 am

Great battling performance, holding our own against a pacy, skillful and direct opposition. The type of result that Sir Ray would be proud of. Andy Taylor MOTM for me although we'd have to settle for a point if not for Etheridge (I agree, the highlights don't show how he had to shift his balance and how fast the shot was travelling). Ref was very lenient, not dishing out a single yellow card, if I'm correct. I hope Chambers' injury is not serious.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:58 am

Fish wrote:Great result against a useful Fleetwood side who were far better than when we played them earlier in the season. They took the game to us and played some really neat stuff. For the first half and hour or so we looked disjointed and couldn't manage to string much in the way of any moves together or retain possession. As the first half came to an end we started to show something of the football that we have come to expect and in the second half, after the goal, there was a ten minute spell where they couldn't live with us.

It would be churlish to criticise anyone after tonight's win, suffice to say that Etheridge's performance will live long in the memory...particularly that save deep into injury time (BTW the ref played 7 nail-biting minutes not the six that was generously awarded in the first place) from Andy Cole's lad, Devante. Released from Man City and having arrived via Bradford, he looks a real steal.

Great night. Great support. Neat friendly stadium - 331 Saddlers there, or thereabouts.

That's pretty much how I saw it Fish. I think Pressley's game plan was to deny us time on the ball which worked well first half. They played som nice stuff at s fast pace.
The size of the pitch didn't help us either. Like playing at home, we struggled for width until the second half.
Would have been pissed off had they equalised as I wasn't too impressed with how we managed the last 10 minutes.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:04 am

Great result! Well done the lads.

BigSillyFool

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:44 am

Great result. Sounded like they were all over us first 30 mins but we changed the shape and got back into it. That last save will live long in the memory but they had 5 shots on target and they all needed a decent save at least. Needs to work on his distribution does Ethridge but am I being OTT if I say he's as good a shot stopper as Wacka? I've seen him pull off some great saves this season. Good finish from Tom and Mantom looks to be getting back to his best. Chambers will be missed no matter how long he is out, any news on Osbourne, will we see him at all this season as he is probably the natural replacement although Kinsella is a good lad and won't let anyone down for lack of effort. Finally great performance from the 331 who made the trip, you were loud and clear on the wireless.

See you all there on Saturday.

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:18 am

That was indeed a good result against a resolute capable side, why they are in the position they are in is an absolute mystery, the lad Cole, and their No11 (despite a couple of embarrassing fluffs in the first half) were heart stopping at times.
That we came away with all three points was due to a great team spirit, which you can see is currently pumping through their veins! Witney certainly has made one hell of a difference in their overall attitude.
The save by Etheridge, during that monumental amount of extra time was utterly world class, saved us two points without doubt. Where on earth the ref found 6 minutes of extra time is a matter for Mulder & Scully to fathom, and we all imagined he would just carry on regardless until Fleetwood got their equaliser, which on the night they indeed deserved. Thankfully however we managed to hang on and grind out the valuable three points, which means we are deffo back in the hunt for automatic promotion, hard fought 1-0 victories like this on Tuesday nights is what eventually ensures that the idea of promotion is not just a pipe dream. Oh such a pity that O'Dysmal moron lost us so much in his disastrous spell in charge. Without his desperate pessimistic approach we could have been well in contention for the top two spots!
Supporters were in good spirit and very entertaining throughout.
The lads were pretty good in all quarters, and how SOD could think Rico was incapable in defence is a mystery, he was immense, only being skinned once in the second half. Virtually every time we attacked we looked capable of adding to our tally, though it hurts to say it, Sawyers had a mare again, and was guilty of breaking up many attacks with misplaced passes, I think he thought we were still playing in red! However the verbal abuse from one gobshite behind me were totally unfounded.
Met Sid Little in the Strawberry Gardens, gets involved, even serves the meals! seems a good bloke.

nottmsaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 am

Ancient Moaner wrote: Oh such a pity that O'Dysmal moron lost us so much in his disastrous spell in charge. Without his desperate pessimistic approach we could have been well in contention for the top two spots!

I know you tend to have a disposition towards pessimism at times as well, but I think its fair to say we are still well in contention for the top two spots, in spite of the SOD effect.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 am

Interesting to see more than one say Taylor was MOTM. Watch the sequence of play for Etheridge's world class save. Taylor gets beaten far too easily and that's the reason why we're vulnerable when he plays. It's a shame because from the moment he came to the club, I've loved him as a player, 100% committed, realiable and someone you can depend on. But for the last year or more, he's not been up to it physically. Funny how that coincides with him and his missus having a baby?

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:13 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Interesting to see more than one say Taylor was MOTM. Watch the sequence of play for Etheridge's world class save. Taylor gets beaten far too easily and that's the reason why we're vulnerable when he plays. It's a shame because from the moment he came to the club, I've loved him as a player, 100% committed, realiable and someone you can depend on. But for the last year or more, he's not been up to it physically. Funny how that coincides with him and his missus having a baby?

Taylor was excellent last night, and without the eye catching (brilliant) saves from Etheridge, he would easily have been MOTM.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:58 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Interesting to see more than one say Taylor was MOTM. Watch the sequence of play for Etheridge's world class save. Taylor gets beaten far too easily and that's the reason why we're vulnerable when he plays. It's a shame because from the moment he came to the club, I've loved him as a player, 100% committed, realiable and someone you can depend on. But for the last year or more, he's not been up to it physically. Funny how that coincides with him and his missus having a baby?

Yep, as soon as they had a kid late last season (exactly a year ago I think) it was if he hadn't had any kip for 2 nights before each game. The baby is probably sleeping a bit more. Don't get me wrong that exact snippet of the highlights made me feel the same but I was one of the people earlier in the thread proclaiming how outstanding he was...honest....he was great.

Our ball retention last night was at times atrocious, making fleetwood look great, they must've had so so many bursting runs into our half its unreal.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Hard fought win, second best for first 20 then slowly came into the game,

Great finish by Tom... Kinsella did well slotting into central midfield after Chambers went off.

Etheridge (at last) earned his corn in goal

Fair play to their keeper Maxwelllllll. Clapped us at the end and joined in with "You're fudge cack" :mrgreen:

And Smalling is a Saddler!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:37 pm

nottmsaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote: Oh such a pity that O'Dysmal moron lost us so much in his disastrous spell in charge. Without his desperate pessimistic approach we could have been well in contention for the top two spots!

I know you tend to have a disposition towards pessimism at times as well, but I think its fair to say we are still well in contention for the top two spots, in spite of the SOD effect.

The thought that I MEANT to suggest was that we should have already been there, in the top two, not hanging around like vultures waiting for our competitors to implode so that we might slip in under the radar! :mrgreen:
SOD still has a lot to answer for, one of the worst periods of our recent history..it was utter despair under his 'leadership' :( .

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Another great result by Jon Witney and his team, 2 games 6 points just shows what this group of players can do if left to play and not made to change what they do best.
Hard won game different to chesterfield showed we can dig in when need to a good goal by tom and what a save at the end by Etheridge to keep the win.
Next game lets break the home jinx and not screw it up against colchester.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:SOD still has a lot to answer for, one of the worst periods of our recent history..it was utter despair under his 'leadership' :( .

:lol:

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:...until Fleetwood got their equaliser, which on the night they indeed deserved. ....

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, how do you determine that Fleetwood (playing as attractively as they did) deserved an equaliser? If you don't shoot accurately enough to beat the goalkeeper, you don't deserve to score surely? And by the same token did Etheridge deserve to concede?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Even without the resident nause there is always someone willing to step into the breach and give everyone a good loff!!!! Cheers AM

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Not missing him, Funk? Are you?

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:30 pm

booster cogburn wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:...until Fleetwood got their equaliser, which on the night they indeed deserved. ....

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, how do you determine that Fleetwood (playing as attractively as they did) deserved an equaliser? If you don't shoot accurately enough to beat the goalkeeper, you don't deserve to score surely? And by the same token did Etheridge deserve to concede?

Could apply the same to many home games in the last few months, like hitting woodwork at 0-0 v Barnsley.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:

Taylor was excellent last night, and without the eye catching (brilliant) saves from Etheridge, he would easily have been MOTM.

Etheridge only had to make that late brilliant save because Taylor didn't have the pace to stay with the right winger... :wink:

Glad to hear AT had a good game.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:52 pm

tinned wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:with a record like that CHESTER it would perhaps be better if you gave it a miss :D however your record must come an end so I will go 2-1 to the SUPER SADDLERS.

Most other seasons it wouldn't be such a big deal, but this season you would struggle to achieve such a dismal run if you had planned it.

Since my return to matches at the Rochdale home game, after illness, I have watched 8 games (6 home and 2 away) and have yet to witness a win :shock:

Could be me, could be SOD.

So, that's me sorted :D

If we don't beat Colchester on Saturday, we'll know who to blame :mrgreen:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:with a record like that CHESTER it would perhaps be better if you gave it a miss :D however your record must come an end so I will go 2-1 to the SUPER SADDLERS.

Most other seasons it wouldn't be such a big deal, but this season you would struggle to achieve such a dismal run if you had planned it.

Since my return to matches at the Rochdale home game, after illness, I have watched 8 games (6 home and 2 away) and have yet to witness a win :shock:

Could be me, could be SOD.

So, that's me sorted :D

If we don't beat Colchester on Saturday, we'll know who to blame :mrgreen:

That's all I need! A load of angry Saddlers hot-footing it my direction.

I'm open to offers for the purchase of the remainder of my season ticket :mrgreen:

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 pm

BigSillyFool wrote: Needs to work on his distribution does Ethridge but am I being OTT if I say he's as good a shot stopper as Wacka?

Yes.

And I doubt he can drink as many shots either :D .

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:51 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Even without the resident nause there is always someone willing to step into the breach and give everyone a good loff!!!! Cheers AM

Always willing to step up to the 'ockey', rather than us having to witness more of his 'ravings' lets hope he's taken the hump and buggered off for good. :mrgreen:
All we need now is for Sound_Out to extricate himself from monopolising the SOT thread, so that we can all get on with every day banter, rather than being patronised with his vile propaganda.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Even without the resident nause there is always someone willing to step into the breach and give everyone a good loff!!!! Cheers AM

Always willing to step up to the 'ockey', rather than us having to witness more of his 'ravings' lets hope he's taken the hump and buggered off for good. :mrgreen:
All we need now is for Sound_Out to extricate himself from monopolising the SOT thread, so that we can all get on with every day banter, rather than being patronised with his vile propaganda.

Amen to that!! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season