Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) League One, Tues 15 March 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fleetwood Town (A) League One, Tues 15 March 7.45pm

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:49 am

Our rejuvenated Saddlers travel to Lancashire to take on Steven Pressley's Cod Army in a fixture that has already had two scheduled dates only to be ruled out by their waterlogged pitch. Fleetwood aren't having the happiest of seasons and are currently 19th in the League One table, only 5 points clear of the relegation zone. However it would be a mistake to see this as anything like an easy game when you look at some of the results they've produced - they recently got the better of Gillingham 2-1, and back in October thumped Burton Albion 4-0. We did play Fleetwood in November of course in the F.A. Cup, winning with goals from George Evans and Anthony Forde.

Fleetwood will have at least one team change from Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Burton - top scorer Rob Grant came on as a substitute in the 66th minute and was sent off a minute later for violent conduct, this may well be some kind of a record!! They do have a sizeable squad for Pressley's selection though, 31 compared to our much thinner 24. Their recent League One form:

20 Feb Scunthorpe United (H) Won 2-1
23 Feb Rochdale (A) Lost 1-0
27 Feb Coventry City (A) Won 1-2
1 Mar Gillingham (H) Won 2-1
5 Mar Sheffield United (H) Drew 2-2
12 Mar Burton Albion (A) Lost 2-1

Team selection for Jon Whitney wouldn't appear to be very difficult if you follow the basic principle of "Don't change a winning team", but I'm sure he will have analysed the performance at Chesterfield to see what can be learned. His main aim, as stated before the Chesterfield trip, was to get the players to "have a smile on their faces, and enjoy their game" and there would seem to be no doubt that he achieved that objective, in spades. The deliberate placing of "two up front" giving Tom Bradshaw support in the form of Jordy Hiwula, plus the re-introduction of Rico Henry demonstrably raised the team's game and also enabled Romaine Sawyers to show his skills upfield - the attacking passing movements on Saturday were like chalk and cheese compared to some of the dross served up under O'Dismal's tenure.

So, what prediction can be offered for Tuesday? I think Fleetwood will be a tougher proposition than Chesterfield, but the boys will be well aware that 3 points will bring us level with Wigan Athletic in joint 2nd place - and of course if we can win 0-9 we will have a better goal difference!! I'll go with a 0-2 win for the Super Saddlers, which would set things up nicely for Saturday when we entertain Colchester United, and Wigan have play-off contenders Bradford City as their visitors.

UTS !! :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) League One, Tues 15 March 7.45pm

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:57 am

I will be hoping that this is 9th time lucky for me. :D I have attended 8 games thus far this season, and have not yet seen us win, including witnessing our only league away defeat at Swindon.

So I will go for. 3-1 win with Tom, Jordy and Jordy bagging them. 2866 in attendance including 314 Saddlers.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:29 pm

with a record like that CHESTER it would perhaps be better if you gave it a miss :D however your record must come an end so I will go 2-1 to the SUPER SADDLERS.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Didn't enjoy the drive up a few months ago when they called it off as he turned off the M6 towards Fleetwood.

If they do it again I will just drive there and make them play the game.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:54 pm

It was interesting to hear in Whitneys interview after the match that he had a special mention for the fans. He praised the support given at Chesterfield, saying it gave the whole team a lift, then mentioned a "challenge" to the supporters to do it again at Fleetwood.
It would be good to get 400, but whatever the amount we need to make a noise for the lads.
I'll be there, should be at work till five, need to bunk off early!!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:35 pm

A real tough one this against a side who have had some very good results against promotion contenders [4-0 v Burton, 2-1 v Gillingham, 2-1 at Coventry] and who should not be underestimated. That said, they are just above the relegation zone but this means they will be battling for points as hard as us.

We should be looking to get at least the point required to move us into third place but a win would be a very good result in my opinion.

I think it will be 1-1 with Sawyers for us, in front of 2,498, including 325 Saddlers.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Anyone know of any spare seats to this in return for splitting the fuel?

Not 100% sure if I'm going yet mind...hmmm

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:53 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I will be hoping that this is 9th time lucky for me. :D I have attended 8 games thus far this season, and have not yet seen us win, including witnessing our only league away defeat at Swindon.

So I will go for. 3-1 win with Tom, Jordy and Jordy bagging them. 2866 in attendance including 314 Saddlers.

If you do go would you mind wearing a shirt with Chester on your back? That way we could point you out to stewards if we go a goal behind and have you ejected. That way you could be our twelfth man :mrgreen:

If we go two goals down I'll meet you in the nearest boozer.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 am

Walsallone wrote:with a record like that CHESTER it would perhaps be better if you gave it a miss :D however your record must come an end so I will go 2-1 to the SUPER SADDLERS.

Are you going Walsallone? I'm hoping to get there despite my car being in peril with it's clutch going!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm

Reading your record Chester.... the match is off. :lol:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

Sorry AM no...I wish I could after Saturday which I really enjoyed. Give the lads a cheer for me.....

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 pm

3-0 Fleetwood because I'm crap at predicting

UTS

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:58 pm

2-1 Walsall

Sawyers / Bradshaw to delivery the goods.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Walsallone wrote:with a record like that CHESTER it would perhaps be better if you gave it a miss :D however your record must come an end so I will go 2-1 to the SUPER SADDLERS.

Most other seasons it wouldn't be such a big deal, but this season you would struggle to achieve such a dismal run if you had planned it.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:30 pm

Walsallone wrote:Sorry AM no...I wish I could after Saturday which I really enjoyed. Give the lads a cheer for me.....

Will do my friend, hope that we can we meet one day!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:37 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Most other seasons it wouldn't be such a big deal, but this season you would struggle to achieve such a dismal run if you had planned it.

Since my return to matches at the Rochdale home game, after illness, I have watched 8 games (6 home and 2 away) and have yet to witness a win :shock:

Could be me, could be SOD.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:39 pm

HELP?
Does anyone know of a decent pub in the vicinity of the ground? As I usually drive to Fleetwood matches, a drink is obviously not an option, so my knowledge of the local hostelries is not good. The wife will be with me tomorrow and is not interested in matches away from the Bescot, she would like to sit in a decent pub reading her kindle, to await my hopefully joyous return, excitedly retelling tales of our wonderful win!

Finch

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Chester, your record is indeed very statistically unlikely. We have played 44 games this season and have failed to win in 23 of them. For all of the 8 games you have attended to be winless has a probability of 0.28%, or a 1 in 361 chance (if games chosen at random).

Of course, you may have picked bigger games against better teams, which makes it more likely, but you get the idea - Please don't go, Chester!!

Mathematical fun during Leicester v Newcastle.....

PT
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:36 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:HELP?
Does anyone know of a decent pub in the vicinity of the ground? As I usually drive to Fleetwood matches, a drink is obviously not an option, so my knowledge of the local hostelries is not good. The wife will be with me tomorrow and is not interested in matches away from the Bescot, she would like to sit in a decent pub reading her kindle, to await my hopefully joyous return, excitedly retelling tales of our wonderful win!

Always drink in the strawberry gardens up there and will be tomorrow.

Part owned by Sid Little (he was 50% of a comedy duo from years ago. You're probably too young).

Just over the road from the ground, got a bit of faded glory about it but its fine.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:43 pm

PT wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:HELP?

Always drink in the strawberry gardens up there and will be tomorrow.

Part owned by Sid Little (he was 50% of a comedy duo from years ago. You're probably too young).

Just over the road from the ground, got a bit of faded glory about it but its fine.

Thanks my friend, I just love the bit about me being too young to remember them!! :lol: :lol:
Sid Little came from Atherton, where the wife was born! Good looking fella wasn't he...... :mrgreen:
Will give it a go, hope to see you there.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:56 pm

certainly won't be going against our away form this season so I'm confident of a decent result but I do have a feeling Fleetwood will be a tougher proposition than earlier in the season....

I'll go for 1-2 with goals from Jordi and Milan - 340 saddlers making the mid-week trip up there

UTS

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Finch wrote:Chester, your record is indeed very statistically unlikely. We have played 44 games this season and have failed to win in 23 of them. For all of the 8 games you have attended to be winless has a probability of 0.28%, or a 1 in 361 chance (if games chosen at random).

Of course, you may have picked bigger games against better teams, which makes it more likely, but you get the idea - Please don't go, Chester!!

Bloody hell.

Chelsea and Reading are in there but so are home games v Blackpool, Oldham and Scunny.

On the bright side the odds seem stacked in favour of this run coming to an end pretty soon - same for Tinned now SOD has gone.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:15 am

1-1, Fleetwood have hit form last 6 weeks as indeed every team that plays Walsall seems to and Pressley had a good record when he was Coventry manager.

Think if this had been played on the two other dates it would've been a win but we'll see of course. Keep a clean sheet and it's a win.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:48 am

Anyone know if the club coach has any empty seats?

Cheers in advance

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:40 am

Gripper wrote:Anyone know if the club coach has any empty seats?

Cheers in advance

The club no longer runs supporters' coaches and I suspect you may be too late to get a seat on the Supporters' Club coach(es).

WFC Steve

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Unfortunately we were sat outside the ground when they called the first game off :( :( :(

I would settle for a draw tonight, but we could really do with a win - especially with the games on Saturday which may provide a few surprises

UTS

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:11 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Finch wrote:Chester, your record is indeed very statistically unlikely. We have played 44 games this season and have failed to win in 23 of them. For all of the 8 games you have attended to be winless has a probability of 0.28%, or a 1 in 361 chance (if games chosen at random).

Bloody hell.

Chelsea and Reading are in there but so are home games v Blackpool, Oldham and Scunny.

On the bright side the odds seem stacked in favour of this run coming to an end pretty soon - same for Tinned now SOD has gone.

Gamblers fallacy Chester.

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Actually pretty selfish of Chester to be going to this match given his record.

But I've had a word with Syd Little and he says there's a spare room in the Strawberry Gardens that we can lock him in.

For an extra tenner Eddie Large will sit on him for the duration of the match.

usa_saddler

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:31 pm

In League 1 we have played 9 mid-week fixtures - 7 away and 2 at home. Our form mid-week is 6 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss. Away from home we are 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss. I am going for another solid 2-1 win with Sawyers & Hiwula scoring. Big "game in hand" match that puts us right back in the thick of the automatic promotion chase!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Hoping for two things this evening:

1. Chester Saddler to be our lucky mascot and actually get to see a win.

2. You know who refraining from typing 20+ postings on this thread about how much better things were under SO'D.

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season