Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (A) League One Mar 12, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Re: Chesterfield (A) League One Mar 12, 3pm

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:29 pm

I was expecting a reaction today but never to that extent!

Amazing what positivity can achieve - well done JW and the lads.

Looking forward to a post match interview I can hear and enjoy

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Absolute class.

Sallian ... fudge off you Scunthorpe.

:D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:48 pm

boringteacher wrote:Great day.

Much as I detest Bonser for what has happened in the past, I'd never accuse him of being a poor business man. Even he could see that we were at best going to stagger in to the play offs under SOD (with our best set of players for nearly a generation) - the team had given up on him. No doubt, Jeffrey could see the TV money drifting away from him - for once, he has shown some ambition this season. Never forget the past though, just hope for the future.

Even better, I've been forced to find out how to use the foe button to block the cack that goes on every fudge matchday thread. Never thought I'd do this - while you are letting yourself in for random trolls on the SoT board, I'd support their right to be assholes on that. On this board, such a blatant troll is asking to be thrown off.

I don't think SOD is necessarily a bad manager. He just seems to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. In other circumstances , it might have worked. Franks, shock horror, made the point that if Walsall were 18th place, his algorithmic management might have been justified. If it wasn't a team who already knew what they had to do, and had one season to do it before they broke up, it might have worked. It very definitely isn't a time for saying , "Maybe next year".

Possibly after the hypothetical rebuild, it would have taken someone else to actually take them up.

A bit like how Sir Ray took us up there, but couldn't keep us there.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Great result.

This Bonser jizzfest has to stop tho - the sacking of SOD was not all that meets the eye.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:12 pm

scott_powell wrote:Absolute class.

I'm not allowed to point out actual lies on untruths on the forum....

and am not allowed to highlight tactical errors

and am not allowed to highlight footballing morality and immorality

but telling someone to F*** Off you C*** is fine, and not a whisper from moderators

and why am i being called that?

For opposing the sacking of a quality manager that we have not had in years
Last edited by sallian on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:

Much as I detest Bonser for what has happened in the past, I'd never accuse him of being a poor business man. Even he could see that we were at best going to stagger in to the play offs under SOD (with our best set of players for nearly a generation) - the team had given up on him. No doubt, Jeffrey could see the TV money drifting away from him - for once, he has shown some ambition this season. Never forget the past though, just hope for the future.

Even better, I've been forced to find out how to use the foe button to block the cack that goes on every fudge matchday thread. Never thought I'd do this - while you are letting yourself in for random trolls on the SoT board, I'd support their right to be assholes on that. On this board, such a blatant troll is asking to be thrown off.

I don't think SOD is necessarily a bad manager. He just seems to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. In other circumstances , it might have worked. Franks, shock horror, made the point that if Walsall were 18th place, his algorithmic management might have been justified. If it wasn't a team who already knew what they had to do, and had one season to do it before they broke up, it might have worked. It is very definitely isn't a time for saying , "Maybe next year".

Possibly after the hypothetical rebuild, it would have taken someone else to actually take them up.

I was really pleased when SOD was given the job and thought that we'd probably get automatic promotion under him when the team wasn't broken up in January. Brizzle aside, I've always respected the way his teams played against us and thought that he would be successful in slightly modifying our "tippy tap" with a slightly more direct edge. It was obvious that some of the more significant players didn't think this though. Like some others have said, how much has the contribution of RoK been underestimated in both SOD and Smith's success?

I never thought Bonser would see this though - perhaps having a (presumably) cheap, in-house, replacement who the players clearly rate, helped the get-rid decision. After today, I'd be shocked if Bonser didn't opt for the status quo for the season. Disposing of SOD was the biggest managerial shock to me after the bullet in the head for Sir Ray - here's hoping that Bonser gets the same rewards - and I personally wish SOD all the best for his future career. It just didn't work with us.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:13 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Great result.

This Bonser jizzfest has to stop tho - the sacking of SOD was not all that meets the eye.

no doubt about that....but ravenous simpletons on here can't think beyond the populist headlines

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Care to expand?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:18 pm

sallian wrote:

but telling someone to F*** Off you C*** is fine, and not a whisper from moderators

Because it's true.

What kick do you get out of this? Just enjoy the victory you moronic Scunthorpe

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Eye??

Without inside knowledge, to me its just a speculate to accumulate decision by a capitalist to me. The lure of the Murdoch dirty money is what motivates Bonser imo - I'd be seriously surprised if much re-investment in the team was made if we were promoted. Repayment of director's loans? And guess who still owns the club + ground with all of them repaid? Bit of a mini-gamble maybe, with Rico still available if we don't go up? Like you, I haven't forgotten the history of the last 25 years.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:24 pm

boringteacher wrote:

I don't think SOD is necessarily a bad manager. He just seems to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. In other circumstances , it might have worked. Franks, shock horror, made the point that if Walsall were 18th place, his algorithmic management might have been justified. If it wasn't a team who already knew what they had to do, and had one season to do it before they broke up, it might have worked. It is very definitely isn't a time for saying , "Maybe next year".

I was really pleased when SOD was given the job and thought that we'd probably get automatic promotion under him when the team wasn't broken up in January. Brizzle aside, I've always respected the way his teams played against us and thought that he would be successful in slightly modifying our "tippy tap" with a slightly more direct edge. It was obvious that some of the more significant players didn't think this though. Like some others have said, how much has the contribution of RoK been underestimated in both SOD and Smith's success?

I never thought Bonser would see this though - perhaps having a (presumably) cheap, in-house, replacement who the players clearly rate, helped the get-rid decision. After today, I'd be shocked if Bonser didn't opt for the status quo for the season. Disposing of SOD was the biggest managerial shock to me after the bullet in the head for Sir Ray - here's hoping that Bonser gets the same rewards - and I personally wish SOD all the best for his future career. It just didn't work with us.
after being sacked so early on in his tenure with us. i honesty can't see him being employed as a manager again :|

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:27 pm

scott_powell wrote:
sallian wrote:

Because it's true.

What kick do you get out of this? Just enjoy the victory you moronic Scunthorpe

Enjoy the victory when a good man was just sacked, who also had the knowledge and know-how?

SOD was here to help us....did you help him?

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:28 pm

It's no good being the best head coach in the world if the players don't want to play for you. It is not what you know, it is whether you can impart that knowledge.

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Absolutely amazing. Now let's get behind em!!!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:34 pm

chunkster wrote:
boringteacher wrote:

after being sacked so early on in his tenure with us. i honesty can't see him being employed as a manager again :|

To emphasize our stupidity even more... SOD said he wasn't interested in managing again, but made an exception for us due to his liking of the club, their recent style under Smith etc... So a good manager whose services had become scarce and we were favoured by him agreeing...then we sack him after a short bad patch! Idiotic in the extreme.

Now we have won one match against a struggling team, aided by a red card and own goal......now all our emotional, illiterate, empty-headed supporters are hailing the great transformation.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Guest wrote:It's no good being the best head coach in the world if the players don't want to play for you. It is not what you know, it is whether you can impart that knowledge.

Yes maybe there were some issues in his approach in this case, but he may well have sorted that after a while

I am not a follower of the Mr Miyagi Karate Kid philosophy of "No such thing as bad student Daniel son, only bad teacher"

The students can be self destructive fools who bring the ship down regardless of the right captain trying to save them from their own ignorance.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:39 pm

Bonser couldn't give 2 hoots whether we get promoted or not - his rent is the first thing that gets paid every day, week, month, year.

The wealth on offer next season in the championship won't change this and it won't mean that the club suddenly have £6m knocking about to buy the freehold.

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:41 pm

There are plenty of bad teachers.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Phil would've sucked the enjoyment out of the D-Day celebrations, what an utterly miserable character :lol:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Great day out - currently being made even better by an incoherent discussion on the US
election by a bunch of Saddlers on the train to Tamworth.
Last edited by moaning saddler on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:43 pm

SOD didn't have 'a while'.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Great result for the lads. It's amazing what a bit of positive thinking can do - I'm glad we've got rid of that miserable SOD. Let's hope we can carry this on. BTW, why the massive downer on Salian? He makes me loff....and he's entitled to his opinion. Just seen England beat Wales - it's a major jizzfest tonight!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 pm

How good was that second half?

Think of the Shrewsbury game and youve got it again here, obviously the sending off helped but we played like our ol selves again today.

Clearly a red card by the way, absolute twerp threw a punch.

After the rather pathetic own goal i feared the worst and buckled down for a 3-0 defeat. The first half was quite even and our midfield struggled to gain some control, Especially defensively. Second half was totally different. Great second goal, and the melee that ensued in the celebrations was utterly fantastic.

We professionally and confidently ripped them a new arsehole after that.

Beautiful.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:53 pm

What a win that was!

Thought we started well first ten minutes, then went off the boil until our second goal. There want enough movement from Hiwula (barely in the game first half), Henry, Demetriou, Mantom etc. Bradshaw was slightly better but still not enough service for him. Sawyers was still playing too deep so was ineffective, but got better second half.

Their goal was a cock up from Etherisge and O'Connor, they both looked dodgy after it too.. Our first was lucky too.

Second half.. Started better, but once we scored number two we were immense! Defence and Chambers looked tight, Full backs got forward, Mantom stepped it up, Hiwula suddenly came into it! Took his goal well and could have had another.

Fords and Milan did okay when they came on, as did Bryn Morris, who didn't put a foot wrong and looked quite decent in his 5 minutes on the pitch.

Chesterfield were a right bunch of tossers. The one who got sent off for some reason decided to go behind the goal with our played celebrating and threw a few punches... Then Numver 11 (Novak?) lost his head 5 mins later.

Fantastic support from the fans today, got right behind the team all afternoon. Hopefully that win can get the team up for it again and we go on a good run!

Do the lads from Leeds I shared a taxi with post on here?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:53 pm

Guest wrote:There are plenty of bad teachers.

Very true. However, current trends suggest that our lovely teenagers will be lucky to have even a cack teacher who has vaguely any knowledge on the subject they are supposed to be delivering in front of them. :o

While he's certainly not a Pauly, I reckon that this might be our owners attitude to the rent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm starting to think Guest is Sallian.

Cannot believe people are seriously still replying to the troll after this week. It's not a Walsall fan, its a troll that ruins every match thread by trying to wind people up and its getting beyond a joke now. Come on here to read match reports of fans not pages of utter bollocks of someone sat in front of a computer every Saturday, all afternoon and evening trying to deliberately wind people up. Whoever it is behind it just get a fudge life!

Don't reply and cut off the one thing it craves. Its not funny any more. Add a foe if you feel at all compelled to respond.

Anyway, felt we were awesome today. If SOD was in charge it would have been a 1-1, everyone has had a visible lift - you could see it during the warm up. Didn't hear any negativity anywhere even when we went 1-0 down!

POSITIVE...not even a sad internet twerp can ruin my buzz this evening.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Interesting to see Etheridge has took to Twitter to accuse Novak of cheating , Neil has claimed the striker shouted keepers which lead to the mix up.

On a separate note Andy Taylor was a rock today playing in a back 3 suits him to a tee.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:03 pm

saddlertd wrote:Great result for the lads. It's amazing what a bit of positive thinking can do - I'm glad we've got rid of that miserable SOD. Let's hope we can carry this on. BTW, why the massive downer on Salian? He makes me loff....and he's entitled to his opinion. Just seen England beat Wales - it's a major jizzfest tonight!

Oh yes indeedy, even better when you watch it in a boozer in Swansea :D

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Guest wrote:There are plenty of bad teachers.

Yes there are bad teachers and bad students

Many reasons a student can fail, for instance his own ego, turning away from advice, thinking he know more than he does etc.

Sean O Driscoll is a proven good teacher

But we have a long list of managers who probably were not too great...and judging by their words, were not too smart either (and I don't mean academically educated)...

Yet we did have a knowledgeable, intelligent and proven teacher and we got rid of him

Either the board are even dumber than a lot of the supporters.....or they are a lot more corrupt than people assume....and

SEAN O'DRISCOLL saw through it immediately or something like that

I thought a lot more Walsall supporters would have had the experience and knowledge to realize O'Driscoll is a MASSIVE loss.

Even if we were to go up this season without him...which I doubt, Sean O'Driscoll is potentially a greater loss than promotion...as he may have spread many ideas to the club, players and staff over a year which may have been seeds for the team's and clubs long term success.

Sean O Driscoll was basically a footballing top scholar....in a league of many second rate wannabes. He is one of those big name substance managers you hope for...then we get rid after a few games.....beyond dumb.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:06 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:I'm starting to think Guest is Sallian.

Cannot believe people are seriously still replying to the troll after this week. It's not a Walsall fan, its a troll that ruins every match thread by trying to wind people up and its getting beyond a joke now. Come on here to read match reports of fans not pages of utter bollocks of someone sat in front of a computer every Saturday, all afternoon and evening trying to deliberately wind people up. Whoever it is behind it just get a fudge life!

Don't reply and cut off the one thing it craves. Its not funny any more. Add a foe if you feel at all compelled to respond.

Anyway, felt we were awesome today. If SOD was in charge it would have been a 1-1, everyone has had a visible lift - you could see it during the warm up. Didn't hear any negativity anywhere even when we went 1-0 down!

POSITIVE...not even a sad internet twerp can ruin my buzz this evening.

Agree Funk. I tend not to revert to personal abuse but I'll make an exception with Sallian as he's not a genuine fan. Sallian, please fudge off you annoying Scunthorpe.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season