Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) League One March 5th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Barnsley (H) League One March 5th 3pm

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:53 pm

chunkster wrote:
BESCOTIAN wrote:The chant being sung by the fans

That sean o driscoll he ain't got a clue he ain't got a clue oh that sean o driscoll he ain't got a clue

Pretty much sums it up
:lol: :lol: :lol: classic

Even though I am frustrated with him...it is the height of idiocy to be chanting against one's own players and manager.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:56 pm

coop63 wrote:Shambolic and inept - further than that and I'll start using bad language!

SOD - you have ruined what was a great opportunity.. If he stays the playoffs are beyond us - simple as that..

Go now and we've maybe got a chance but it'll take some rebuilding after what he's done to us..

I actually feel a bit sorry for the players - they must be as sick as the fans...

players are not free of blame, they do plenty of stupid things....one or two of them who are idolized.

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:00 pm

sallian wrote:
chunkster wrote:

That sean o driscoll he ain't got a clue he ain't got a clue oh that sean o driscoll he ain't got a clue

Pretty much sums it up

Even though I am frustrated with him...it is the height of idiocy to be chanting against one's own players and manager.

That chant seems to be just against the head coach (as I believe his title is) and it would seem to be factually correct.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:01 pm

sallian wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Pretty much sums it up

S O'D gets his views over via Newspapers,Radio,club program etc,the fans get theirs over on the terraces.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:the warning signs were in SOD attitude when he arrived when he said something about having his own opinions on the players etc.... seemed like nothing, but maybe those were the man-management seeds of disaster

Kenny Mower told me that in the Barnwell days the players were miserable as he was strict disciplinarian, they weren't allowed to listen to music etc... And so they all sulked and played rubbish.

I am changing my opinion on SOD.......I guess man-management was an issue and now it seems tactics, I thought he understood about the need for two strikers...now he seems to have capitulated to the first goal nonsense philosophy.

What SOD said after his first game in charge:

"I was just pleased with the way they performed in some senses.

"I said to them before the game 'if you want to impress me, impress me with your attitude and your honesty and your commitment' - and I thought they did.

"I still think they are punching above their weight and I think the second half of the season is going to be a little bit more difficult."

I'd forgotten that third line, it could have been said in a positive way of course...i.e. congratulating them on achievement...but could also have been detracting and demoralising ... Also if he lacks confidence then players will....on other hand could have been his great knowledge predicting against his own efforts and capabilities :)

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:04 pm

sid swifty wrote:
sallian wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Pretty much sums it up

S O'D gets his views over via Newspapers,Radio,club program etc,the fans get theirs over on the terraces.

he and players are trying...but making mistakes, it doesn't help to shout them down or mock them during the game or after it.

Write polite letters.

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:07 pm

I shall be flying over for the Colchester game, sallian. Our next win. See you there?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:the warning signs were in SOD attitude when he arrived when he said something about having his own opinions on the players etc.... seemed like nothing, but maybe those were the man-management seeds of disaster

Kenny Mower told me that in the Barnwell days the players were miserable as he was strict disciplinarian, they weren't allowed to listen to music etc... And so they all sulked and played rubbish.

I am changing my opinion on SOD.......I guess man-management was an issue and now it seems tactics, I thought he understood about the need for two strikers...now he seems to have capitulated to the first goal nonsense philosophy.

What SOD said after his first game in charge:

"I was just pleased with the way they performed in some senses.

"I said to them before the game 'if you want to impress me, impress me with your attitude and your honesty and your commitment' - and I thought they did.

"I still think they are punching above their weight and I think the second half of the season is going to be a little bit more difficult."
DIFFICULT??? it fudgin will be with that phallic symbol in charge. why does he continually run our team down. we where not punching above our weight. we where playing some of the best football i have seen for nearly 40 years. and with confidence. he just seems to have knocked it out of them :evil:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Guest wrote:I shall be flying over for the Colchester game, sallian. Our next win. See you there?

I might see you at airport as i fly to Hong Kong to escape another humiliating loss

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:12 pm

First half we we possibly the better team, I wouldn't use the word excellent but we certainly edged it.

Second half was abysmal. Will be interested to see the 2nd goal as it looks like Etheridge should have done better. The 3rd goal is what we should be doing. It would have taken us 20 minutes to get to the position Barnsley got to in 30 seconds.

Bradshaw can't head and jumps less than Michael Ricketts. Why Etheridge, and the back 4 persist in lumping it up to him is beyond me. We are crying out for a midfielder who will grab a game by the scruff of the neck, Mantom is not this player as he coasts through games. Is Forde a winger or not? On a small pitch he has an ability to squeeze play even more. Ironically we missed Sawyersxwhen he went off as we couldn't keep possession, but when he plays we never shoot! Oh and Lalkovic isn't one of our best 2 players as I often hear mentioned on WM.

Is it O'Driscolls fault that players don't shoot or Etheridge gets beaten from 25 yards, no. Is it his fault we have 2 points from the last 6 home games, yes it is. He hasn't changed things and persisted with this formation, same personnel and style of play.

In a playoff situation the form team does well and wins. Let's hope we are having our blip before going on a blistering run.

SOD out, no as it won't happen. He does need to pull his and this teams finger out though.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:13 pm

sallian wrote:
Guest wrote:I shall be flying over for the Colchester game, sallian. Our next win. See you there?

I might see you at airport as i fly to Hong Kong to escape another humiliating loss

or more likely, Chinese quarter of the Bullring

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:13 pm

sallian wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Pretty much sums it up

the players yes but him no :(

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:21 pm

sallian wrote:
sallian wrote:

or more likely, Chinese quarter of the Bullring

I'll be landing at BHX at 12pm on the day of the match, and won't have time for yum cha.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:22 pm

You have more chance of finding Lord Lucan than seeing Sallian at a Walsall game! :lol:

Are flights to Hong Kong expensive these days? I only ask because the same poster was saying he doesn't attend any games because he is skint? I'm sure he will find a PC in Hong Kong to post his usual 4 pages of waffle....even more convinced the geezer is another poster on the wind up now.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:22 pm

The season is going seriously 38DD up.

I've tried to be positive about O'Driscoll, because there is zero point in being negative. Whatever happens this season, he'll still be manager in August. We actually played fairly well in the first half, should have been in front at half time if Downing could actually try to defend a little bit and Bradshaw hadn't put one straight at the keeper that even Manshit would have put away. The second half, they wanted it while we waltzed about expecting them to roll over and die at our genius. Two seriously dreadful defensive goals, just watch the highlights.

One of the best things you can say about O'Driscoll is that he seems to have sussed out how crap Cook is and barely used him - lets hope the injury keeps him out for a while. I was pleased when he was appointed because I was expecting a pacier version of the passing game that Smith used, slightly riskier but possibly more rewarding in terms of pushing for automatic. When we didnt sell in January, I thought we were 50/50 for automatic. Since then, while it aint hoofball, its too direct and more importantly unsuccessful. The squad is not suited to this style of play and I think he's lost some of the more important players, while nearly all of them don' t seem to know what O'Driscoll wants.

I'd be unsurprised if we finished outside of the playoffs. :evil:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:29 pm

I honestly can't see where our next win will come , I predict we will just miss out on the playoffs.

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:32 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

You have more chance of finding Lord Lucan than seeing Sallian at a Walsall game! :lol:

Are flights to Hong Kong expensive these days? I only ask because the same poster was saying he doesn't attend any games because he is skint? I'm sure he will find a PC in Hong Kong to post his usual 4 pages of waffle....even more convinced the geezer is another poster on the wind up now.

If he did come to HK, he'd have to be up until the early hours of the morning to post. It's 2.30am now.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:36 pm

I`d like to know what was said at half time, to go from how we played first half to that tripe second half is beyond belief.

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Mazza01 wrote:I honestly can't see where our next win will come , I predict we will just miss out on the playoffs.

As I mentioned above, our next win will be against Colchester. I also predict that we will be unbeaten during my Easter holidays - unfortunately, we may not play over the Easter weekend.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Guest wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:I honestly can't see where our next win will come , I predict we will just miss out on the playoffs.

As I mentioned above, our next win will be against Colchester. I also predict that we will be unbeaten during my Easter holidays - unfortunately, we may not play over the Easter weekend.

We`ll be playing over Easter, the way our internationals have been playing this last couple of weeks.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:04 pm

On top in the first half and expected us to come out for the second all guns blazing.

After kick off there was 5 minutes of keepy-uppy which eventually saw them score, followed 6 minutes later by Sawyers freezing with the ball, losing possession and them getting a third.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in our dressing room for that particular motivational half-time
team talk.

If Bonser has got the balls he reckons he has, then that useless Scunthorpe will be gone by Monday lunchtime.

fudge :cry:

P.S. Sawyers MoM? Please, do me a fudge favour.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:09 pm

I will confine my comments to the match as this is supposed to be a thread on the match!! First half it was a good game and we could have led at half time. Great free kick from Forde which hit the post very unlucky. It seems we hit the post every game at the moment!! Awful defending for their goal which was to be repeated later. Downing has got into the habit of constantly backing off when players run at him. Wigan's second goal was very similar.
However at the start of the second half Barnsley just swept us apart and all their goals came from on loan players!! We were very poor from then on...the only bright spark being Hiwula which made us wonder why he hadn't started the game. We had bad luck when Cook came and went very quickly but there are no excuses we got what we deserved.
I thought our team selection was strange and I will comment elsewhere on that........

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Just watched that clip of their third goal. Why the f**k did etheridge come running out of his goal? If he'd stayed on his near post it would have been a backpass...

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:15 pm

boringteacher wrote:
I've tried to be positive about O'Driscoll, because there is zero point in being negative. Whatever happens this season, he'll still be manager in August.

Now that is being negative.

Could you imagine what it would be like if we were in the Championship with O'Driscoll as our manager? Before every match he would explain why Little Walsall are going to lose and how all the other teams are much better. After each defeat he would say he thought that we were excellent, and that the fans should expect them to lose, and not moan about it.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:26 pm

aaaae wrote:Just watched that clip of their third goal. Why the f**k did etheridge come running out of his goal? If he'd stayed on his near post it would have been a backpass...

Two terrible pieces of "defending".
1. Downing gave Chapman a free run at the goal; he might as well not have been there.

2. Ethridge left his entire goal undefended. There was not an inch of Ethridge's body between Chapman and the goal when he took the shot. The ball crossed the line much nearer to Ethridge's left hand post than the right hand post. Chapman did not just beat Ethridge at the near post, he beat him at the far post and he beat him through the middle of the goal.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:28 pm

When was the last time we scored 2 in a league game?

We've gone back to the Walsall of last season - not sure how much that is to do with SOD, and I'd urge people to look at the players, some of whom may well be off in the summer regardless of where we end up

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Etheridge has been really poor recently. This is the second time in the past few games he has been beaten by a shot straight down his throat. He jumps back and throws an arm up acting like he has done all he could but I'm sorry a goalkeeper should NEVER be beaten by a shot straight at him. Also felt he could have done better with both other goals today too, first was at an angle he should never be beaten at as well as pointlessly closing Chapman down when he is heading away from goal with Downing covering for the third.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Whilst I am no apologist for the Manager and certainly didn't agree with his selection today, I don't think there was much wrong until the individual and collective suicidal passages of play set in.

First half my impression was that we had the best of the play and definitely in terms of chances.

Barnsley played quite well throughout, but didn't look the world beaters their current results suggest and quite simply we made it easy for them.

The first goal was well taken by Fletcher, but the quite feeble attempt at defending by Downing was beyond poor.

The second goal from memory seemed to come from a number of botched attempts to clear the ball and when we finally did it was limply presented to Brownhill who hit a good shot which I think went over Etheridge (again).

The third goal led directly from indecision and a ridiculously underhit short pass on the edge of their area by Sawyers, which was easily intercepted and Barnsley simply spread the ball forward without any serious intervention until the ball was played to the right side of our area, where again Downing was beaten ridiculously easily and the ball slotted in. I couldn't tell whether Etheridge could have done better.

The game became easier for Barnsley, as any shape that we had was lost and things became desperate, especially once we were down to ten men after Cook's injury.

The substitutions didn't work as all Hiwula could do was manfully chase shadows, Lalkovic had no space and what little he did have he didn't use well enough and obviously Cook was unfortunate. In terms of who they replaced, assuming Morris was feeling the effects of a (head?) injury that was unfortunate but understandable, Sawyers was absolutely correct as his mind wasn't on it, but I don't understand taking Bradshaw off.

Whilst I don't enjoy watching us play at home with the laboured build up and lack of spontaneity, I think we would have got away with it today had it not been for the extremely poor defending for their goals. Barnsley probably played their normal game, they certainly didn't close us down quickly and stop us playing, I just think we committed suicide.

Taylor was arguably our best performer on the day, but I'm afraid Mantom and Sawyers did/do not provide us with any cutting edge at the moment and that's why we have to shake things up.

Although I said that we might have got away with it today (without the defensive errors), if you keep doing the same things, you largely get the same results.

Even when the substitutions were made it didn't really look like we were set up much differently, hence the same old, same old.

I do believe however, that it was individual and collective errors that cost us dearly today, rather than our method of play.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:45 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Whilst I am no apologist for the Manager and certainly didn't agree with his selection today, I don't think there was much wrong until the individual and collective suicidal passages of play set in.

First half my impression was that we had the best of the play and definitely in terms of chances.

Barnsley played quite well throughout, but didn't look the world beaters their current results suggest and quite simply we made it easy for them.

The first goal was well taken by Fletcher, but the quite feeble attempt at defending by Downing was beyond poor.

The second goal from memory seemed to come from a number of botched attempts to clear the ball and when we finally did it was limply presented to Brownhill who hit a good shot which I think went over Etheridge (again).

The third goal led directly from indecision and a ridiculously underhit short pass on the edge of their area by Sawyers, which was easily intercepted and Barnsley simply spread the ball forward without any serious intervention until the ball was played to the right side of our area, where again Downing was beaten ridiculously easily and the ball slotted in. I couldn't tell whether Etheridge could have done better.

The game became easier for Barnsley, as any shape that we had was lost and things became desperate, especially once we were down to ten men after Cook's injury.

The substitutions didn't work as all Hiwula could do was manfully chase shadows, Lalkovic had no space and what little he did have he didn't use well enough and obviously Cook was unfortunate. In terms of who they replaced, assuming Morris was feeling the effects of a (head?) injury that was unfortunate but understandable, Sawyers was absolutely correct as his mind wasn't on it, but I don't understand taking Bradshaw off.

Whilst I don't enjoy watching us play at home with the laboured build up and lack of spontaneity, I think we would have got away with it today had it not been for the extremely poor defending for their goals. Barnsley probably played their normal game, they certainly didn't close us down quickly and stop us playing, I just think we committed suicide.

Taylor was arguably our best performer on the day, but I'm afraid Mantom and Sawyers did/do not provide us with any cutting edge at the moment and that's why we have to shake things up.

Although I said that we might have got away with it today (without the defensive errors), if you keep doing the same things, you largely get the same results.

Even when the substitutions were made it didn't really look like we were set up much differently, hence the same old, same old.

I do believe however, that it was individual and collective errors that cost us dearly today, rather than our method of play.

Correct. Downing is incapable of dealing with players running at him, O'Connor gave an unusually hesistant display, and Etheridge continues to confirm that he is not an improvement on O'Donnell.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Not been at the game today so can't really comment on the performance or SODs actions.

I would highlight the feeling that I've had for a few weeks now - that being the performances of Bradshaw and Sawyers, both for me have dipped off massively.

No point in asking for a change of manager because it simply won't happen at this point in the season - let's just hope SOD does the sensible thing, drops Sawyers and TB and gives Hiwula Lalkovic a run upfront.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season