Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (H) League One March 5th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Barnsley (H) League One March 5th 3pm

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Harry wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
I've tried to be positive about O'Driscoll, because there is zero point in being negative. Whatever happens this season, he'll still be manager in August.

Now that is being negative.

Could you imagine what it would be like if we were in the Championship with O'Driscoll as our manager? Before every match he would explain why Little Walsall are going to lose and how all the other teams are much better. After each defeat he would say he thought that we were excellent, and that the fans should expect them to lose, and not moan about it.

He did fine at that level with Donny.

They only went down after he left.

Very much looking like yesterday's man though now and the one who did very badly at Bristol City.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 pm

The result is a real shame. I wasn't there and am unable to comment on the actual match, before kick off I did feel that the line up didn't look our strongest team. That being said, there'll be reasons why SOD does what he does. There's only 12 games left of this season so we're still in a very strong position. I'd rather have a blip now and pick up some momentum towards the end of the season (hopefully into a play off face off!!).

Our next two games are away at Chesterfield and Fleetwood. Very winnable games, especially with our away form. We then have Colchester at home, who if we were playing at home next week I'd be concerned about. Maybe however being away from the Bescot will lift the team somewhat. It's no coincidence that our home form is disastrous, under Smith too. The players clearly get nervous playing in front of the fans, who get on their back whenever anything goes slightly array.
I'm not overly impressed by what's going on but we do need to stick together. Otherwise not only will we plummet down the league, we'll also lose all our players / good coaches in the summer. Don't give SOD a reason to apply blame to you, try and lift the players and if that doesn't work those at fault can only look at themselves.

Maybe we'll do a Bournemouth (Howe to Burnley and then back again) and Smitho will come back at the end of the season after Brentford doesn't work out for him!! Premiership bound after that! :D

Come on Walsall! UTS!

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:06 pm

philthesaddler wrote:No point in asking for a change of manager because it simply won't happen at this point in the season - let's just hope SOD does the sensible thing, drops Sawyers and TB and gives Hiwula Lalkovic a run upfront.

But it's a crucial time in the season.
The most crucial time for us in many years.
Some managers are successful at some clubs and hopeless at others - Sir Ray for instance was a legend here and useless at Bristol Rovers.
SO'D can't go on here - it's obvious he has to go and quickly.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:07 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Not been at the game today so can't really comment on the performance or SODs actions.

I would highlight the feeling that I've had for a few weeks now - that being the performances of Bradshaw and Sawyers, both for me have dipped off massively.

No point in asking for a change of manager because it simply won't happen at this point in the season - let's just hope SOD does the sensible thing, drops Sawyers and TB and gives Hiwula Lalkovic a run upfront.

Totally agree about Sawyers, but I don't about Bradshaw.

Probably should have done better with a first half chance today that he hit well but the keeper was able to tip over.
His hold up play was pretty good and his first touch lay offs set up some good moves. The way we play is making him appear less effective.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Leatherman wrote:On top in the first half and expected us to come out for the second all guns blazing.

After kick off there was 5 minutes of keepy-uppy which eventually saw them score, followed 6 minutes later by Sawyers freezing with the ball, losing possession and them getting a third.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in our dressing room for that particular motivational half-time
team talk.

If Bonser has got the balls he reckons he has, then that useless Scunthorpe will be gone by Monday lunchtime.

fudge :cry:

P.S. Sawyers MoM? Please, do me a fudge favour.

The sponsors did Sawyers no favours naming him MoM.

Taylor was the second best Saddler on the pitch today, beaten by the young lad who won the cross bar challenge.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:59 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Guest wrote:I shall be flying over for the Colchester game, sallian. Our next win. See you there?

You have more chance of finding Lord Lucan than seeing Sallian at a Walsall game! :lol:

Are flights to Hong Kong expensive these days? I only ask because the same poster was saying he doesn't attend any games because he is skint? I'm sure he will find a PC in Hong Kong to post his usual 4 pages of waffle....even more convinced the geezer is another poster on the wind up now.

This young lad....is like US and British government.....they claim high principles in not engaging in torture, not dealing particular parties....but have no problem doing via proxy at their own request

Behind-enemy-lines

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:00 pm

The only one thing that really annoyed me about Sawyers today was when he lost the ball for the third goal, he stood with his hands on his hips and he remained like that until after the goal went in, not a thought to try and race back

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:16 pm

I would put money on the same 11 starting at Chesterfield the bloke has no idea.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:21 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
Leatherman wrote:On top in the first half and expected us to come out for the second all guns blazing.

After kick off there was 5 minutes of keepy-uppy which eventually saw them score, followed 6 minutes later by Sawyers freezing with the ball, losing possession and them getting a third.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in our dressing room for that particular motivational half-time
team talk.

If Bonser has got the balls he reckons he has, then that useless Scunthorpe will be gone by Monday lunchtime.

The short sighted sponsors will have chosen him because of the few eye-catching bits of trickery he did to escape some tight marking.

The problem is those flashes of skill occurred in areas of the pitch where it didn't matter and didn't ultimately hurt the opposition.

Taylor was the second best Saddler on the pitch today, beaten by the young lad who won the cross bar challenge.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 pm

Let's get it straight we was the better team in the first half and should have been 2/3-1 up at HT if bradshaws golden chance was finished and fordes free kick what hit the post went in.

What happened at half time in that dressing room?

Downing for the first goal should have cleaned the striker out, for the 3rd he should have cleaned the striker out, he's soft as cack and needs to grow a pair of bollocks.

I don't boo our players off and jeering sawyers is embarrassing, why don't mantom get the same abuse he has been missing for weeks coasting through games with out being dropped.

Terrible defence clearance for the second goal and it looked another woeful mistake from etheridge but I'll wait to see the replay before condemning him.

After struggling for goals and giving the side a boost by bringing hiwula in, why in gods name was he on the bench? Puzzled at what sod is trying to do with this side, he's taken the confidence, the defensive solidarity, grit and attacking nous away. He's lost the dressing room he's lost the fans.

Do us a favour bowser, get rid and let the 3 musketeers take charge, at least they can motivate the players.

I nearly forgot, he has taken the most promising player I've seen come through the ranks and doesn't give him the time of day, after he broke into the national under 19's and was reported to have interest off the top 5 clubs in the country.

All that being said we have been beaten by millwall Rochdale and Barnsley, conceding 3 goals in each game, and I'll say this, they are not brilliant sides, a Walsall side that beat forest and Brentford away, beat Coventry and burton at home would wipe the floor with those sides.

Early bird season ticket? Ram it up ya hoop

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:28 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

team talk.

Don't know how I messed up the last post??

The short sighted sponsors will have chosen him because of the few eye-catching bits of trickery he did to escape some tight marking.

The problem is those flashes of skill occurred in areas of the pitch where it didn't matter and didn't ultimately hurt the opposition.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Interesting views on Taylor's performance, he defended ok today I'll give him that but his lack of pace and ability to overlap or beat a man is another reason why we have become toothless.

Rico would of thrived off the space and possession Taylor had today that's if he actually got on the pitch.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:

team talk.

Just another theory on the Sawyers MoM award - may they have done it to have a pop at SOD team tactics... Almost making a mockery of him being subbed? he defo deserved to be subbed in my opinion...

mac-swifty

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:52 pm

errr--- todays sponsors were " The Saddlers Club" is there any hope :roll:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:59 pm

mac-swifty wrote:errr--- todays sponsors were " The Saddlers Club" is there any hope :roll:

I did say it was only a theory!! :shock:

The way things are going at present anything is feasible! :roll:

UTS Legend

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 pm

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:02 am

Simple summary

We play with no tempo we don't hurt teams now
We no longer dominate possession we are sloppy
We no longer play with effective width
We no longer defend from the front on the front foot
Whether it's the 1st 2nd or 3rd ball we are invariably second to it that's if we try at all see goal two today
Poor or mediocre players like Downing are left exposed and isolated now.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 am

Guest wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Guest wrote:I shall be flying over for the Colchester game, sallian. Our next win. See you there?

You have more chance of finding Lord Lucan than seeing Sallian at a Walsall game! :lol:

Are flights to Hong Kong expensive these days? I only ask because the same poster was saying he doesn't attend any games because he is skint? I'm sure he will find a PC in Hong Kong to post his usual 4 pages of waffle....even more convinced the geezer is another poster on the wind up now.

If he did come to HK, he'd have to be up until the early hours of the morning to post. It's 2.30am now.

Just returned from a lightning visit - evidence are the bones of a half roasted goose in Kam's Roasted Goose (Wan Chai); empty Kronenburg glasses in Wildfire, Kowloon and a beer bottle in Zinc, Levels; 2 Airport express tickets and an empty Super Sandwich bag!

Almost certain to return later in the year - I'll give you a shout! :D :wink:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:56 am

Downings lack of aggression has cost us 2 goals and What is Etheridge doing on number 2 FFS!!

Crazy that fans can boo our real talent like Romaine.

UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:33 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

If he did come to HK, he'd have to be up until the early hours of the morning to post. It's 2.30am now.

Just returned from a lightning visit - evidence are the bones of a half roasted goose in Kam's Roasted Goose (Wan Chai); empty Kronenburg glasses in Wildfire, Kowloon and a beer bottle in Zinc, Levels; 2 Airport express tickets and an empty Super Sandwich bag!

Almost certain to return later in the year - I'll give you a shout! :D :wink:

We're (over)due another HK Saddlers' Night Out.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:03 am

I don't think this is the game to pick out individuals and critique their performance. Each player needs to take a look at their performance today; too many players not stepping up to the mark and reaching their form earlier on in the season.

A few players having an off day is not the end of the world, when we have 11 players making mistakes and not working together as a team. The main thing that strikes me is the ability to take hold of games and dictate play, especially at home. This to me is down to the departure of George Evans. I love Chambers and Mantom but as a midfield pair they aren't dominant enough. We are taking too long to get the ball back and we are too quick to give the ball away, due to not making the right decisions.

As for our fans? What on earth is going on!? I can understand the frustrations but if you can only be vocal when things are going bad then what's the point? Why not try and be vocal at 0-0 or 1-1. The loudest chant of the day slagging O Driscoll off sums the fans up, why can't you be that vocal in terms of supporting the team?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:16 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:I don't think this is the game to pick out individuals and critique their performance. Each player needs to take a look at their performance today; too many players not stepping up to the mark and reaching their form earlier on in the season.

A few players having an off day is not the end of the world, when we have 11 players making mistakes and not working together as a team. The main thing that strikes me is the ability to take hold of games and dictate play, especially at home. This to me is down to the departure of George Evans. I love Chambers and Mantom but as a midfield pair they aren't dominant enough. We are taking too long to get the ball back and we are too quick to give the ball away, due to not making the right decisions.

As for our fans? What on earth is going on!? I can understand the frustrations but if you can only be vocal when things are going bad then what's the point? Why not try and be vocal at 0-0 or 1-1. The loudest chant of the day slagging O Driscoll off sums the fans up, why can't you be that vocal in terms of supporting the team?

Fans pay their money and are entitled to show derision at the way our Walsall team has been murdered by a brainless slug!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:20 am

Soton Saddler wrote:The result is a real shame. I wasn't there and am unable to comment on the actual match, before kick off I did feel that the line up didn't look our strongest team. That being said, there'll be reasons why SOD does what he does. There's only 12 games left of this season so we're still in a very strong position. I'd rather have a blip now and pick up some momentum towards the end of the season (hopefully into a play off face off!!).

Our next two games are away at Chesterfield and Fleetwood. Very winnable games, especially with our away form. We then have Colchester at home, who if we were playing at home next week I'd be concerned about. Maybe however being away from the Bescot will lift the team somewhat. It's no coincidence that our home form is disastrous, under Smith too. The players clearly get nervous playing in front of the fans, who get on their back whenever anything goes slightly array.
I'm not overly impressed by what's going on but we do need to stick together. Otherwise not only will we plummet down the league, we'll also lose all our players / good coaches in the summer. Don't give SOD a reason to apply blame to you, try and lift the players and if that doesn't work those at fault can only look at themselves.

Maybe we'll do a Bournemouth (Howe to Burnley and then back again) and Smitho will come back at the end of the season after Brentford doesn't work out for him!! Premiership bound after that! :D

Come on Walsall! UTS!

My god sunshine, what are you on? (can I have some?) We are in a disastrous slump that will ruin our season, and you are so upbeat it's astonishing, are you 'optimist' in disguise?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:31 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:I don't think this is the game to pick out individuals and critique their performance. Each player needs to take a look at their performance today; too many players not stepping up to the mark and reaching their form earlier on in the season.

The slagging off started at 1-3 not before at that point the game was well and truly gone.

One thing I will add though is his team selection dampened the atmosphere before a ball was kicked!

BESCOTIAN

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:49 am

I second that 100% the team selection had everybody scratching there head before a ball was kicked.

I do hope that Uncle Jeff pulls the trigger on SOD before to much of a divide is driven between the players and fans I would say that Monday is D day if SOD stops the damage done to the team spirit is going to be irreversible

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 am

Mazza01 wrote:

I know that's what I'm referring to. I know results have been poor as of late but are the fans helping? Are we getting behind them from the start of the game as well as we could? I know that the players should be able to motivate themselves but I don't think our fans help times.

-why not chant for O Driscoll out after the game instead of leaving 20 mins early?
-why sing ricos name when Taylor misplaces a pass

Just a couple of things I don't get. I can't get my head around why Rico ain't been playing either but what good is gonna come from the calling of SODs head and confronting him during the match?

I just wish that passion could be transferred into positive passion when things are going well. Maybe that just sums Walsall fans up? We just love having something to moan about..

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:36 am

Taylor was great yesterday I thought...nothing else to add.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Adam Chambers has been pretty crap in the last two matches, we are doomed.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Neil Etheridge should be pissed at all three. Especially the second one, and the third one what he is doing coming out there is beyond me. Downing is defending like a ponce but he took him wide there is no need to rush out.

We are crap.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:01 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:The result is a real shame. I wasn't there and am unable to comment on the actual match, before kick off I did feel that the line up didn't look our strongest team. That being said, there'll be reasons why SOD does what he does. There's only 12 games left of this season so we're still in a very strong position. I'd rather have a blip now and pick up some momentum towards the end of the season (hopefully into a play off face off!!).

Come on Walsall! UTS!

My god sunshine, what are you on? (can I have some?) We are in a disastrous slump that will ruin our season, and you are so upbeat it's astonishing, are you 'optimist' in disguise?

Lol! Believe me I was annoyed but I guess at the end of the day I knew we'd slump at some point. We haven't the resources to maintain form all season. Especially with extra cup games.

Anyway it's irrelevant now anyway, new manager time!! Woo!

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season