Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) League One, 1 Mar 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) League One, 1 Mar 7.45pm

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Yeovil have come from non-league. Is that really anything to shout about? They were the smallest club bar Burton (if they make it) in that league. The point is still relevant.

For every Yeovil there are 20+ clubs that would double what they got, and what we are getting, in the same position.

This is a serious question. If you were Jeff Bonser and you saw the gate tonight and considered the position the club are in, against all odds, would you go out of your way to back the clubs promotion bid?

A simple yes or no.

Do you derive any pleasure at all from life at all tinned? Must be a very hard life stuck in that mind. Jesus!!

It's a double edged sword you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate. That's called showing ambition something the club lacks and that all goes hand in hand with our poor gates.

But the last time he did that the town wasn't interested then, either. People knock the geezer, but is there signs of potential growth at Walsall FC that were not there last time around? If there are, I can't see it. Tonight is another nail in that particular coffin.

I know I can seem a little negative but I honestly, hand on heart, as a fellow fan of this football club, don't know what people to expect to achieve on such modest crowds. There has been a decline since SOD took over but I think that would have happened with Deano, it a threadbare squad. This was always going to happen.....

The club isn't being ruined, we are still damn lucky to be where we are.
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:42 pm

Neuromantic wrote:The negativity about a side that is actually a place better off than when Smith left is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. Fair enough if we were atrocious and had not won in 10 games... but get a grip for goodness sake.

We need all the fans behind the manager and players. These ridiculous dingle-esque comments are an embarrassment. We are third... and people are claiming we have messed up our chances of promotion?! What planet are you people on?

The descent into Wolves-like support is bordering on a disgrace. I hope you all have a long think.

This is a squad that is tired and is in desperate need of fresh blood. Get behind the lads and engage your brains. No, not everything is rosey - but it could be much, much worse. Moaning when we are 3rd? Jesus christ.

Finally some sense. I knew it would come if I hung on long enough.

Good night.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:45 pm

Neuromantic wrote:Moaning when we are 3rd? Jesus christ.

Given our current form (I know you appreciate facts :wink: ), how long before we're way off 3rd? Would you rather wait until we're 7th before admitting changes are needed or would a bit of poactivness help?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 pm

Yes good post NEUROMANTIC.....lets hope we can recover our form.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:48 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:So fudge boring, that was such a lazy performance.

And yet we've somehow gone up a place. WTF

Beyond the top 2 everyone else is rubbish in this league.

Don't Coventry have won 1 in 8 now, Gillingham seem to be managed by O'Driscoll's brother, just chuckling at promotion chasing result from Bradford (lost 2-1 at home to Colchester who last won a game about 5 years ago) and Southend who need a 90th minute goal just to draw at home to Crewe. And what more needs to be said about the hopeless efforts of Sheffield United?

Barnsley are in amazing form though, they should well finish in the play offs.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Neuromantic wrote:The negativity about a side that is actually a place better off than when Smith left is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. Fair enough if we were atrocious and had not won in 10 games... but get a grip for goodness sake.

We need all the fans behind the manager and players. These ridiculous dingle-esque comments are an embarrassment. We are third... and people are claiming we have messed up our chances of promotion?! What planet are you people on?

The descent into Wolves-like support is bordering on a disgrace. I hope you all have a long think.

This is a squad that is tired and is in desperate need of fresh blood. Get behind the lads and engage your brains. No, not everything is rosey - but it could be much, much worse. Moaning when we are 3rd? Jesus christ.

I think that most people would agree with your assessment of the squad being tired etc. My take on the comments is that people are frustrated that we are on the cusp of greatness but are in the process of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:11 am

tinned wrote:

Given our current form (I know you appreciate facts :wink: ), how long before we're way off 3rd? Would you rather wait until we're 7th before admitting changes are needed or would a bit of poactivness help?

I can't fudge with trying to do clever things on my phone but if someone could post the table when Smith left and the table now I believe it would show that the league position is not the be all and end all. We were in a better place for a top 2 spot then than we are now and further away from 7th than we are now.

Also, Sod would have dined out on Smith's legacy for the first few weeks. The form since Jan is most relevant

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:39 am

Walsall under sod in boring no goals draw shocker. Funk abusing fellow supporters for having an opinion shocker. Seems like all is normal :D

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:39 am

chestersaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

I can't fudge with trying to do clever things on my phone but if someone could post the table when Smith left and the table now I believe it would show that the league position is not the be all and end all. We were in a better place for a top 2 spot then than we are now and further away from 7th than we are now.

Also, Sod would have dined out on Smith's legacy for the first few weeks. The form since Jan is most relevant

When Smith left

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:44 am

After Shrewsbury

Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:48 am

After SOD's first game in charge v Port Vale

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:23 am

When we won promotion in 1988 our average attendance was 5598 and in 1999 was 5457. This season so far it is 5345, so given the bumper home attendances you get in the last few games of a promotion season we are on par I would say.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 am

Coming to a place where you know full well people love a good moan - nay, whose primary purpose is for people to have a moan - to moan about moaners. You're in the same orbit as everyone else. :D

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 am

Strange game in that I thought Scunthorpe played quite well and better than us, passed neatly and accurately, had plenty of movement and found space, but from memory hardly created anything.

In contrast, we were plodding and pedestrian, hardly any movement, didn't find much space, but created quite a few opportunities and were arguably unfortunate not to score on a few occasions.

I can live with players struggling with form and not playing particularly well, but what I can't tolerate are performances more down to attitude and application.

The only player that sent out all the wrong signals last night was Sawyers. His body language and general demeanour was an affront to all paying customers, as he has regressed into his former self with a mixture of ducking challenges, failing to challenge correctly and worst of all failing to challenge at all. When you see Bradshaw chasing back past him to get to a defender bringing the ball out that Sawyers didn't bother to challenge, says it all to me.

Sawyers, combined with the ineffectual performance from Mantom, means offensive central midfield is where our problems mainly lie. Plodding and ponderous, with little attempt to beat their man and create openings.

Sawyers should definitely have been substituted last night, together with Mantom, rather than taking Forde and Lalkovic off who had each been more threatening on the night. Forde and Lalkovic should have been moved into the middle with Lalkovic pushing further forward to link with Bradshaw. I would even have preferred Cook to have been brought on to join Bradshaw upfront in place of Sawyers.

The substitutions were positionally like for like and although Morris and Henry had their moments, in effect we just carried on doing the same thing that wasn't working in terms of goals.

The Manager failed to show any tactical nous last night to tip the balance.

Our situation requires a radical shake up at home before it's too late and perhaps a two man defensive central midfield of Chambers and Bryn Morris is worth a try, with all out attack in front of them.

With each game that goes by more pressure is put on our away performances to keep us in the picture and as such an outstanding record of only one defeat will mean nothing unless we convert commendable draws into necessary wins. Both home and away, we are unfortunately drawing too many games, whereas by contrast Burton mainly deal in wins with occasional defeats.

All is not lost, but we quickly have to see some evidence that we are learning and exploring every possible avenue to break us out of this current sequence of underperformance.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am

Is FHTF living in a parallel universe? Where everything at Bescot is rosy, the team are playing wonderful flowing football, the Manager is obviously a genius, but hey, our current bottom of the table form can be placed firmly at the feet of Walsall fans, who do not turn up on a miserable Tuesday night to watch unentertaining drivel! :?

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:57 am

chestersaddler wrote:

I think that most people would agree with your assessment of the squad being tired etc. My take on the comments is that people are frustrated that we are on the cusp of greatness but are in the process of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Exactly Chester. I don't think anyone in their right mind is bemoaning the team for "being only third". It's a huge achievement and everyone is proud and excited by what we've seen this season. It's seemed like the culmination of the last few years, stemming from after the Great Escape right through and certain players like Chambers have been the heart of that the whole way through. Stability has been there...

...That said, I do get concerned about the future, and I think a lot of the frustration is justified. We've given ourselves a huge chance of getting into the Championship and the financial windfall that this could bring us, even with an immediate relegation. We've been in the top 2/3/4 most of the season, including spells at the top. If we had been out usual 10th-14th all season and then we had made a surge into the top six late on it would be different, and peoples attitude to a frustrating 0-0 draw on a Tuesday night against Scunthorpe would be different because we would still be seen to be over-reaching. Classic example - take the 2012/13 surge where we just missed out on the play-offs in the last couple of weeks, for example. I remember standing at, funnily enough, Scunthorpe away and seeing us concede a late equaliser in the penulimate away game that essentially snatched our top six chances off us. I remember the feeling of complete deflation and how gutted we all were, but it was different, because we'd been abject for the first half of the season and the surge from December onwards was surprising and late in the day. We were disappointed but we were still happy and proud. This season, we've been capable of so much more and the results have shown it.

But things have changed since SOD took charge, and things behind the scenes have clearly had an impact. It feels like the life has been sucked from this team and the managers pre-match comments and general attitude must have contributed to this. There are players out there who have had their confidence drained, and his refusal to, for example, play Rico in his natural position or change it up, has contributed to this anger and slump and the supporters are venting frustration because we know we are capable of more- we've seen it! But we refuse to strengthen AGAIN, with SODs comments on this being frustrating to say the least. And those we bring in don't get game time, or even bench time.

My biggest concern is that we blow this chance this season, and then essentially have to start from scratch. A LOT of players are going to be leaving/are out of contract in the summer and the rebuild would be a lot harder to swallow given the chance we've had this year. We're a bit of freshening away from a top 6 spot. Our best chance since 1999/2001. I worry we're spoiling the ship for a h'apporth of tar.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Lucky to get even a point last night after that tripe, SOD has managed to mould the team into an on field image of himself drab, boring, no ideas, no belief and no hope well done.
This is the same bunch of players who were a joy to watch pre SOD yes tiredness, injures come into it but such a drastic change is down to manager.
The good news is that because of rivals playing each other and some strange results we are still third with a small gap between us and seventh. The hard bit is on this form we will soon be caught and if we do manage to hang on to playoff place I don't really see us beating any of the other teams.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:56 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Exactly Chester. I don't think anyone in their right mind is bemoaning the team for "being only third". It's a huge achievement and everyone is proud and excited by what we've seen this season. It's seemed like the culmination of the last few years, stemming from after the Great Escape right through and certain players like Chambers have been the heart of that the whole way through. Stability has been there...

...That said, I do get concerned about the future, and I think a lot of the frustration is justified. We've given ourselves a huge chance of getting into the Championship and the financial windfall that this could bring us, even with an immediate relegation. We've been in the top 2/3/4 most of the season, including spells at the top. If we had been out usual 10th-14th all season and then we had made a surge into the top six late on it would be different, and peoples attitude to a frustrating 0-0 draw on a Tuesday night against Scunthorpe would be different because we would still be seen to be over-reaching. Classic example - take the 2012/13 surge where we just missed out on the play-offs in the last couple of weeks, for example. I remember standing at, funnily enough, Scunthorpe away and seeing us concede a late equaliser in the penulimate away game that essentially snatched our top six chances off us. I remember the feeling of complete deflation and how gutted we all were, but it was different, because we'd been abject for the first half of the season and the surge from December onwards was surprising and late in the day. We were disappointed but we were still happy and proud. This season, we've been capable of so much more and the results have shown it.

But things have changed since SOD took charge, and things behind the scenes have clearly had an impact. It feels like the life has been sucked from this team and the managers pre-match comments and general attitude must have contributed to this. There are players out there who have had their confidence drained, and his refusal to, for example, play Rico in his natural position or change it up, has contributed to this anger and slump and the supporters are venting frustration because we know we are capable of more- we've seen it! But we refuse to strengthen AGAIN, with SODs comments on this being frustrating to say the least. And those we bring in don't get game time, or even bench time.

My biggest concern is that we blow this chance this season, and then essentially have to start from scratch. A LOT of players are going to be leaving/are out of contract in the summer and the rebuild would be a lot harder to swallow given the chance we've had this year. We're a bit of freshening away from a top 6 spot. Our best chance since 1999/2001. I worry we're spoiling the ship for a h'apporth of tar.

This all day long....the most vital part of that whole enlightening theory....'since SOD took charge' :(

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Sums it up when you listen to the Scunthorpe managers post match interview on the BBC

And I quote: 'We gave the ball away too much in the first half and if you are going to give the ball away to a top four side then they'll hurt you - but they (us) didn't'

Sounds like we didn't impress him too much either!!!

As I've said previously, overall it was an inept performance lacking in guile, pace, invention and anything positive..

In fact the only thing to be pleased about from a Saddlers perspective was the 50th minute applause which was excellently respected and observed - well done to all

saddlerbishoff

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:57 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:Strange game in that I thought Scunthorpe played quite well and better than us, passed neatly and accurately, had plenty of movement and found space, but from memory hardly created anything.

In contrast, we were plodding and pedestrian, hardly any movement, didn't find much space, but created quite a few opportunities and were arguably unfortunate not to score on a few occasions.

I can live with players struggling with form and not playing particularly well, but what I can't tolerate are performances more down to attitude and application.

The only player that sent out all the wrong signals last night was Sawyers. His body language and general demeanour was an affront to all paying customers, as he has regressed into his former self with a mixture of ducking challenges, failing to challenge correctly and worst of all failing to challenge at all. When you see Bradshaw chasing back past him to get to a defender bringing the ball out that Sawyers didn't bother to challenge, says it all to me.

Sawyers, combined with the ineffectual performance from Mantom, means offensive central midfield is where our problems mainly lie. Plodding and ponderous, with little attempt to beat their man and create openings.

Sawyers should definitely have been substituted last night, together with Mantom, rather than taking Forde and Lalkovic off who had each been more threatening on the night. Forde and Lalkovic should have been moved into the middle with Lalkovic pushing further forward to link with Bradshaw. I would even have preferred Cook to have been brought on to join Bradshaw upfront in place of Sawyers.

The substitutions were positionally like for like and although Morris and Henry had their moments, in effect we just carried on doing the same thing that wasn't working in terms of goals.

The Manager failed to show any tactical nous last night to tip the balance.

Our situation requires a radical shake up at home before it's too late and perhaps a two man defensive central midfield of Chambers and Bryn Morris is worth a try, with all out attack in front of them.

With each game that goes by more pressure is put on our away performances to keep us in the picture and as such an outstanding record of only one defeat will mean nothing unless we convert commendable draws into necessary wins. Both home and away, we are unfortunately drawing too many games, whereas by contrast Burton mainly deal in wins with occasional defeats.

All is not lost, but we quickly have to see some evidence that we are learning and exploring every possible avenue to break us out of this current sequence of underperformance.

Well said.
We effectively played with Chambo in midfield doing the work of Sawyers/Mantom combined and Forde having one of his games where he disappears.
This is not a personal vendetta on Sawyers - just an obvious statement that he doesn't deserve the shirt at present. Mantom is slow and ponderous doesn't win tackles and adds nothing. So why are they both picked game after game?
Thankfully Downing (again) was excellent (apart from some distribution) and the rest of the back4 and Etheridge all combined to ensure we had a chance of winning the game.
So we end up with the back 4 having the ball and then expected to create the opportunities going forward. Ridiculous.
Apart from Chambo the rest of the midfield treat the ball as something to get rid of either backwards or sideways or avoid completely (a la Sawyers). Flicks and Tricks are great when you are 3 up and someone needs to tell him that bluntly.
Feel sorry for Super Tom who tries hard and gets bullied and kicked and NEVER gets any protection. It's not his best position to be sent high balls to attempt to beat a 6 foot 6 Centre back.
Hence the moves need to come on the ground in triangles played at a quick pace from midfielders going forward. On Tuesday no midfielder could do that albeit we came more alive when Morris and Rico arrived on the scene 20 minutes too late.
Tuesday night has brought out more moans because after the first 20 minutes we looked like relegation fodder and it seems obvious to the fans but not to the Manager that we need to freshen things up and shake up the opposition rather than doing the same slow build ups and the same end results.
Confidence has gone down somewhat - that is obvious. Even worse there are very few in that team who seem to want to shoot and enjoy scoring.
Most recent games we should have won easily except for Wigan and Burton and the problem has been converting the many chances created whilst playing great football.
Tuesday night was different.
I am still confused why Bakayoko is out on loan instead of earning his spurs coming off the bench to give opposition defences a problem. Even Cook has shown sometimes that he can come on and put himself about and add some value.
So the lack of tactical substitutions early in the game and game after game is a real issue for me.

As for Referees. Just when you think they can't get any worse another cretin turns up and proves you wrong. Time after time the team that tries to play football gets no protection and the opposition gets away with pushing and shoving and worse. See the incident with Rico late in the match. Their man gets away with it and their manager refuses to give up the ball and the referee does nothing. On the other hand Chambo tackles (mostly fairly) and gets pulled up for fouls time and time again. And of course it now seems OK for the opposition to kick the ball away at every dead ball and get away with it.

We probably need to get a goal early next match that comes off someone's backside and kicks us off with some confidence.
UTS.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:01 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Walsall under sod in boring no goals draw shocker. Funk abusing fellow supporters for having an opinion shocker. Seems like all is normal :D

If you consider anything I have said on here 'abuse' then you have lived a very sheltered existence :)

aaaae wrote:When we won promotion in 1988 our average attendance was 5598 and in 1999 was 5457. This season so far it is 5345, so given the bumper home attendances you get in the last few games of a promotion season we are on par I would say.

Hmmm interesting point. I can't draw parallels with 1988 as I wasn't old enough, however under Graydon the attendances were poor early in the Season while the townsfolk woke up. Second half of the season it was rare to dip under 5k, let alone 4. This further goes to prove my point on the main thread, this just doesn't have the same feel or level of camaraderie. I read our average was 5,034 this season, must have got that wrong.

Maybe my specs are a little rose tinted as I loved going to the games back then, but you can't tell me the mood around the place has ever come close to those seasons at any time this season. Sick and tired of negativity and moaning.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:32 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Sick and tired of negativity and moaning.

Says the person who's 99% of posts contain negativity and moaning about non-singing/lack of fans.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:43 pm

tinned wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Sick and tired of negativity and moaning.

Says the person who's 99% of posts contain negativity and moaning about non-singing/lack of fans.

There's a difference between moaning and campaigning for change. There is a difference between whining and trying to get some of our fans to appreciate we aren't a big club. We wouldn't even be a big club in League Two.

I think your definition of moaning needs addressing. At least I'm not always knocking the team, manager, chairman, stewards, tea lady etc at every given opportunity. You really do remind of a Dingle or Vile fan.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:47 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:There's a difference between moaning and campaigning for change. There is a difference between whining and trying to get some of our fans to appreciate we aren't a big club. We wouldn't even be a big club in League Two.

If the powers that be and fans took any notice of you we'd all be "in our rightful place" of the National League North.

God forbid any fans vocalise ambitions of improving our lot :roll:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:05 pm

tinned wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:There's a difference between moaning and campaigning for change. There is a difference between whining and trying to get some of our fans to appreciate we aren't a big club. We wouldn't even be a big club in League Two.

If the powers that be and fans took any notice of you we'd all be "in our rightful place" of the National League North.

God forbid any fans vocalise ambitions of improving our lot :roll:

He only sings when he's whining, sings when he's whining. He only sings when he's whining.

firreblade

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Our position in the tables is irrelevant, under Smith yes we were fourth, and because somehow after a shitty draw with Scunny we go third BUT now eight points behind leaders Burton, my point being under smith we were only two points from Gillingham & Burton who stood 2nd and 3rd in the table and three points from Coventry who sat top. All-in-all we were a lot better when smith was here and I do believe 'like a lot of other fans' we would be on top if Smith was still here. I do echo what you say and should get behind all the players and be that 12th man. Its just frustrating knowing we've got a great team of players which we saw during the smith days then go backwards and not winning games, all the fans know we should be finishing teams off who are a lot lot worse than us and been dropping points since the arrival of SOD.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:36 pm

I've calmed down a bit since Tuesday, but that's exactly how I felt after the game too. Couldn't agree more.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:44 am

We will go up

The Blue Jays will win the world series in 2016

Peace will be achieved in Syria and throughout the middle East

Corporate Greed will be eliminated

There will be no need for charities such as Save the Children as all the Children will have been saved

Greyhound Racing will be banned

The next Star Trek Movie will be worth the wait

The Jam will reform for one Gig only at the Orewa Beach Hot Rod festival 2017

Everybody in the world will get a scope of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream everyday (as a side note no one will have any food allergies.)

Certain posters with extreme views will never post again

Finally reality TV will be banned and replaced by classic comedies

How's that for some positivity

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:10 am

canadiansaddler wrote:We will go up

The Blue Jays will win the world series in 2016

Peace will be achieved in Syria and throughout the middle East

Corporate Greed will be eliminated

There will be no need for charities such as Save the Children as all the Children will have been saved

Greyhound Racing will be banned

The next Star Trek Movie will be worth the wait

The Jam will reform for one Gig only at the Orewa Beach Hot Rod festival 2017

Everybody in the world will get a scope of Cookies and Cream Ice Cream everyday (as a side note no one will have any food allergies.)

Certain posters with extreme views will never post again

Finally reality TV will be banned and replaced by classic comedies

How's that for some positivity

I'm afraid the Rays are going to win the AL East and then go on to win the world series this year. (you heard it here first) but everything else you posted is gonna happen :D

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:39 am

Jays are 2 and 0 in spring training, o
The Rays may as well give up now

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season