Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) League One, 1 Mar 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) League One, 1 Mar 7.45pm

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:39 pm

As I have been saying for a few weeks we can't beat anyone, can't score against anyone

Put Milan and Tom in middle.....drop Sawyers, put Morris out wide....bring in Bakayoko

I'm revising my prediction to 8th...9th

How can we go from strongest side to weakest side in division?

How much is the team trying to score? They can't be that driven, confident and motivated.

Like I said, the run of 3-4 wins was not going to happen, failed at very first hurdle.

I think 3 losses is more likely than 3 wins. Think how many opportunities we have had in recent weeks with other teams slipping up.

If all rivals on Saturday lose 3-0, we will lose 4-0.

Maybe the first team should all step down and let the youth squad play instead, I think they would do better.

If that fails then the women's team if there is one.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:44 pm

The bottom line is more often than not you will not challenge for promotion to the second tier of English football on 3800 gates. Its a struggle on 6000.

So before you come on here whining, knocking everything from the tea lady to the manager, just remember we could so easily be in Oldham's position or any of the teams down there who are now looking at us thinking how the hell are they doing it...and why are their supporters not happy!

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 pm

sallian wrote:As I have been saying for a few weeks we can't beat anyone, can't score against anyone

Put Milan and Tom in middle.....drop Sawyers, put Morris out wide....bring in Bakayoko

I'm revising my prediction to 8th...9th

How can we go from strongest side to weakest side in division?

How much is the team trying to score? They can't be that driven, confident and motivated.

Like I said, the run of 3-4 wins was not going to happen, failed at very first hurdle.

I think 3 losses is more likely than 3 wins. Think how many opportunities we have had in recent weeks with other teams slipping up.

If all rivals on Saturday lose 3-0, we will lose 4-0.

Maybe the first team should all step down and let the youth squad play instead, I think they would do better.

If that fails then the women's team if there is one.

Just for you Funk. :mrgreen:

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:46 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:The bottom line is more often than not you will not challenge for promotion to the second tier of English football on 3800 gates. Its a struggle on 6000.

So before you come on here whining, knocking everything from the tea lady to the manager, just remember we could so easily be in Oldham's position or any of the teams down there who are now looking at us thinking how the hell are they doing it...and why are their supporters not happy!

I dread to think how loudly they boo. :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:51 pm

fudge Jesus H Christ! Our new manager has systematically destroyed our automatic promotion chances. From easily being 2nd place we now look increasingly unlikely to manage 6th. And who's door does Funky lay the blame at? The supporters!!! Surprise fudge :roll:

If the club want to stay in this division then they should keep their head in the sand and carry on. If they sort of fancy having a chance of jumping on the Championship gravy tarin then they should sack this clueless prat NOW!

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:56 pm

tinned wrote:fudge Jesus H Christ! Our new manager has systematically destroyed our automatic promotion chances. From easily being 2nd place we now look increasingly unlikely to manage 6th. And who's door does Funky lay the blame at? The supporters!!! Surprise fudge :roll:

If the club want to stay in this division then they should keep their head in the sand and carry on. If they sort of fancy having a chance of jumping on the Championship gravy tarin then they should sack this clueless prat NOW!

SMITHIN :wink:

sorry couldn't resist.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:58 pm

tinned wrote:fudge Jesus H Christ! Our new manager has systematically destroyed our automatic promotion chances. From easily being 2nd place we now look increasingly unlikely to manage 6th. And who's door does Funky lay the blame at? The supporters!!! Surprise fudge :roll:

As clueless as ever tinned. At least your consistent.

Not knocking our supporters, every single one that goes deserves a medal. However, and I do hope this gets into that impenetrable head of yours -
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:The bottom line is more often than not you will not challenge for promotion to the second tier of English football on 3800 gates. Its a struggle on 6000.

Go on - tell me I'm wrong.

From battering Smith to battering O'Driscoll - are you ever happy?

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:05 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Not knocking our supporters, every single one that goes deserves a medal. However, and I do hope this gets into that impenetrable head of yours -

Durrr! For the hard of thinking, we HAVE been challenging for promotion. It's not the lack of crowds that is fudge up our excellent chance, it's a clueless fudge manager.

Don't worry, nobody needs to be brought to book for this debacle, funky gives them a get out of jail free card by (surprise surprise) blaming his fellow fans.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:08 pm

I agree that the gates are an embarrassment Funk, but that's nowt new. We do, however, have a right to be where we are because we have a good youth policy and we had a manager and support staff that brought in decent (albeit cheap) players and generally got the best out of them.

I see less games than many who post on here for obvious reasons, but having seen us play Blackpool, Reading and now Scunthorpe in recent weeks, I am clear that we are a shadow of the side I was watching prior to Smith's departure.

SOD is taking us backwards.

I still stayed to applaud the team at the end btw.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:09 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Perspective on attendances works both ways Bradford City average about 17-18,000 they just lost at home to Colchester and would love to be in our position 3,800 is poor but we are 3rd in the league with a game in hand so attendance figures don't really count for much if they did leeds, Nottingham forest and Sheffield Wednesday would be in the premier league not stuck in the championship for the last 10 years or more.
Today's game was flat as a nuns tit bradshaw looks like a 15 year old in a man's game his first touch is as bad as it was when he played for the sheep shaggers and his confidence is on the floor.
Sawyers is a complete waste of time and has been for about 2 months but there's more chance of us signing Lionel Messi than him being dropped so prepare yourselves to watch him go another 10 games without a goal, that shot he missed from 5 yards just sums him up lately.
Anyway we go again on Saturday hopefully 5,000 turn up if they haven't been put off enough tonight.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Funk - for the record, Yeovil averaged just over 4,000 in their promotion season, 150 less than us in 2012/13.

Also, we are currently averaging 5,300 and not 3,800.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Part of the reason why I have kept quiet lately as I do not want to become a one trick pony.

Surely Uncle Jeff cannot be happy with how things have gone, from a potential £8,000,000 windfall to almost also rans in such a short period of time.

When SOD first came he seemed like a tactical genius but now he seems slightly incompetent. Team spirit and togetherness seems destroyed, rumours about falling out with players, continually playing the same system and getting the same results, loan players are not allowed to kick a ball.

Quite baffling and worrying.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:14 pm

tinned wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

Durrr! For the hard of thinking, we HAVE been challenging for promotion. It's not the lack of crowds that is fudge up our excellent chance, it's a clueless fudge manager.

Don't worry, nobody needs to be brought to book for this debacle, funky gives them a get out of jail free card by (surprise surprise) blaming his fellow fans.

We wouldn't be in this position if some clueless fans had their way with Deano, eh tinned? Then maybe we would have been in Oldham's position right now.

Your levels of density are frightening. But yeah, just cover it over by saying I'm anti-Walsall fans. Prat.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

I agree that the gates are an embarrassment Funk, but that's nowt new. We do, however, have a right to be where we are because we have a good youth policy and we had a manager and support staff that brought in decent (albeit cheap) players and generally got the best out of them.

I see less games than many who post on here for obvious reasons, but having seen us play Blackpool, Reading and now Scunthorpe in recent weeks, I am clear that we are a shadow of the side I was watching prior to Smith's departure.

SOD is taking us backwards.

I still stayed to applaud the team at the end btw.

Agree on SOD. Couldn't inspire a gnats erection.

I applauded em too.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:16 pm

I did wonder where you had been IHTC. You were never shy in giving Smith grief

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 pm

CACK that just about sums it for me..

Walsallone
UTS Legend

As someone said above if you keep doing the same things you generally get the same results and we did. The fact is that both Bradshaw and Sawyers need resting and fresh legs are needed up front. I keep saying it but the Club are not listening! I don't understand it in view of comments made by Gamble at the fans focus meeting . After Saturday's game I would give the players a few days off before we embark on our next round of fixtures and hopefully that will refresh their minds and legs!
Finally a pat on the back for our central defenders who again played well.

tinned
Site Addict

BathSaddler wrote:Funk - for the record, Yeovil averaged just over 4,000 in their promotion season, 150 less than us in 2012/13.

Funky: Making up "facts" since 2005.

IHTC wrote:Part of the reason why I have kept quiet lately as I do not want to become a one trick pony.

I don't really relish being anti another manager, but I want what's best (in my mind) for WFC and that involves getting rid of this useless manager (the facts speak for themselves).

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 pm

chestersaddler wrote:I did wonder where you had been IHTC. You were never shy in giving Smith grief

Absolutely and SOD is testing my patience.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 pm

tinned wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Funk - for the record, Yeovil averaged just over 4,000 in their promotion season, 150 less than us in 2012/13.

IHTC wrote:Part of the reason why I have kept quiet lately as I do not want to become a one trick pony.

I don't really relish being anti another manager, but I want what's best (in my mind) for WFC and that involves getting rid of this useless manager (the facts speak for themselves).

Was not a dig at you mate, If I had not been so vocal against Smith then I would have been ripping into SOD before now.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:We wouldn't be in this position if some clueless fans had their way with Deano, eh tinned? Then maybe we would have been in Oldham's position right now.

Oh, so Smith left due to a few disgruntled fans did he? I must've missed that press release as I always presumed he went for the money/higher division club.

Then again, it could all be the rantings of a bullshitter fan who hates the fact that his arguments are found wanting regularly.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 pm

Sad thing is that both situations will likely end in tears. We won't go up and Deano will be out on his arse at the end of the season :(

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 pm

Yeovil have come from non-league. Is that really anything to shout about? They were the smallest club bar Burton (if they make it) in that league. The point is still relevant.

For every Yeovil there are 20+ clubs that would double what they got, and what we are getting, in the same position.

This is a serious question. If you were Jeff Bonser and you saw the gate tonight and considered the position the club are in, against all odds, would you go out of your way to back the clubs promotion bid?

A simple yes or no.

Do you derive any pleasure at all from life at all tinned? Must be a very hard life stuck in that mind. Jesus!!
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:27 pm

IHTC. wrote:
tinned wrote:

Was not a dig at you mate, If I had not been so vocal against Smith then I would have been ripping into SOD before now.

Didn't think you were having a dig mate. I don't think any fans past reaction to previous managers should affect subsequent ones. If a manager is ripping us apart, say so.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:29 pm

'Ripping us apart'

PATHETIC

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:32 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:'Ripping us apart'

PATHETIC

I never said SO'D was ripping us apart. I was talking generally about fans saying how it is with a manager, rather than feeling like they should soft soap it due to their stance on previous managers.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Yeovil have come from non-league. Is that really anything to shout about? They were the smallest club bar Burton (if they make it) in that league. The point is still relevant.

For every Yeovil there are 20+ clubs that would double what they got, and what we are getting, in the same position.

This is a serious question. If you were Jeff Bonser and you saw the gate tonight and considered the position the club are in, against all odds, would you go out of your way to back the clubs promotion bid?

A simple yes or no.

Do you derive any pleasure at all from life at all tinned? Must be a very hard life stuck in that mind. Jesus!!

It's a double edged sword you sometimes have to speculate to accumulate. That's called showing ambition something the club lacks and that all goes hand in hand with our poor gates.

usa_saddler

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:38 pm

Just had a chance to check on the match, see the stats, and read SOD's comments on the Express & Star website. This guy is deranged and the crap that he comes up with about positives from the match is meaningless drivel. How in the heck can SOD see positives in a string of games with no wins in five and 2 goals scored (one a penalty). I feel sorry for those that are going to the matches and watching the season evaporate. I don't fancy our chances in the playoffs - assuming we stay in the running. Burton has figured out how to do enough (score a goal per game and keep a clean sheet) to win (albeit not every week) - at this point in the season the teams that find a way to put up wins will go up and we can't! As for Wigan, they are watching us fade away in the rear view mirror. I hate to be negative, but we aren't going anywhere but Division 1. The other teams around us are doing everything they can to give us a chance at promotion. The results have been going our way in many regards. But it won't last and if we don't get going, others will....

It's simple - we can't score. I realize I am thousands of miles away and don't get to see the games (lucky me!), but this isn't looking good based on what I read. Try and keep the faith!

SOD out - Up the Saddlers!

Rant over :roll:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:38 pm

The negativity about a side that is actually a place better off than when Smith left is absolutely laughable and embarrassing. Fair enough if we were atrocious and had not won in 10 games... but get a grip for goodness sake.

We need all the fans behind the manager and players. These ridiculous dingle-esque comments are an embarrassment. We are third... and people are claiming we have messed up our chances of promotion?! What planet are you people on?

The descent into Wolves-like support is bordering on a disgrace. I hope you all have a long think.

This is a squad that is tired and is in desperate need of fresh blood. Get behind the lads and engage your brains. No, not everything is rosey - but it could be much, much worse. Moaning when we are 3rd? Jesus christ.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:40 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Do you derive any pleasure at all from life at all tinned? Must be a very hard life stuck in that mind. Jesus!!

Not that it's any of your business but I gain a lot of pleasure from amny things in life. What a don't have time for us denying the cold, hard truth about things just because it's a bit uncomfortable to admit. i'd also prefer to accept the truth rather than try and deflect the blame onto innocent parties just because they fit nicely into my preconceived hobby horses.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season