Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
chunkster wrote:did i hear wrong or were our fans singing "we want our walsall back" "you don't know what you are doing" when morris was coming on and booing the team at the end? :(
Correct on the first comment. I was near those singing that plus "Jon Whitney's barmy army" and "Whitney should have got the job, do da, do da".

The "don't know what you're doing" was aimed at SOD for not bringing on Rico I think.

Didn't hear players boo-ed at end.

We deserved to win that game and if we'd have snuck a goal I reckon the anti SOD chants and groans in the last ten minutes wouldn't have occurred.

Not convinced about SOD but cmon get fully behind the team all match.

Oh yeah, "3 points clear and we fudged it up" was a popular terrace song amongst that group today!
we went to the pub down the road earlier. the beech hotel. and there were fans there that i either hadn't seen for years. or never seen at all. maybe these are the one's that are bringing discontent into the crowd? one of the low points for me today was being called a w***er by my own fans because i was in the burton end :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Unlike last Saturday, we were the best side today, but as has been the story time and time again this season, we just couldn't find the net.

Burton didn't seem to be any great shakes, much like when we played them earlier in the season - but one thing they have over us is that they use what possession they do have much more effectively. I'd love to see stats on attempted crosses, and how many beat the first man - and compare Walsall to Burton.

We seem to have reverted to the Walsall of last season, lots of possession, very little threat. It's worth mentioning that out only 2 chances of note fell to Downing and Demetriou - which is quite a ridiculous situation considering we have Bradshaw, Lalkovic and Sawyers on the pitch - all of whom didn't come anywhere close to threatening. Bradshaw has lost a yard of pace and isn't as quick with his feet as he was - just think back to how he was when we first had him.

Sawyers was ok today, some lovely through balls from him but as ever, there's that little bit of direct attacking play missing from his game.

All in all, I'm quite pissed off because against Wigan we didn't do ourselves any favours and lost when we should have held out for a point (though undeserved) and today we should have won based on possession and attempts, but we are just so poor in the final third. It comes to something when you look to your right back to deliver quality in the final third because those around him aren't.

We need to freshen up this squad. Why have we signed Wakefield? Not even in the 16 today. For me we need an different threat upfront, someone to galvanise a bit.

Taylor had a mare in the first half and improved in the 2nd, but was still incredibly wasteful in the final third, which just adds to the calls for Rico to be playing. I can only think that SOD feels Rico is a risk to play him at left back - but I'd argue not as great a risk as Taylor who doesn't have the pace to get out of trouble that Rico does. Taylor hamstrings us and dampens our style of play.

Chambers was imperious throughout, as was OConnor. Mantom gradually improved as the game went on.

Nice to go to top of the league and get a point but we really should have had all 3. Earlier in the season we were scoring plenty more goals, Henry was a big part of that, he needs to play. We won't go up on 0-0 draws

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:40 pm

A very good,balanced report PHIL.....I agree with all of it. This time last year I posted on the conundrum that is Sawyers. I have been calling for weeks for more help up front and we certainly need that however if we sign someone who gets left out. I am beginning to think it must be Sawyers....although he is in many ways our best player he doesn't get in the box enough or score enough goals. The team must come first!!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:45 pm

One other point I would play Henry rather than Taylor but with that great hulk on their right today maybe Taylor was the right choice today!! We certainly need Henry in on Tuesday for what is in now a must win game. I would also start with Morris and really go for the win.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:55 pm

Walsallone wrote:A very good,balanced report PHIL.....I agree with all of it. This time last year I posted on the conundrum that is Sawyers. I have been calling for weeks for more help up front and we certainly need that however if we sign someone who gets left out. I am beginning to think it must be Sawyers....although he is in many ways our best player he doesn't get in the box enough or score enough goals. The team must come first!!

I`m sorry to say but Sawyers is a luxury we can`t afford. We need someone to put the ball in the net like everyone is saying baring the management.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:00 pm

A little success and everytime we take a large following now we are just expecting to win; instead of just getting behind the side we are idiots, reminiscent of other clubs supporters we are so quick to take the piss out of.

We want our Walsall back is the funniest chant I've heard. These were more than likely the same people that spent 2 years trying to hound Deano out while he built 'our Walsall'.

People forget it's a point at the top of the league club - it's a good point - why the hell all the negativity? The only troubling issue I can see is that of Rico but hounding out a manager a couple of months into his tenure is behaviour more akin to Villa or Wolves. Some people sap the enjoyment out of following the club - more so now than ever before....

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:12 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:A little success and everytime we take a large following now we are just expecting to win; instead of just getting behind the side we are idiots, reminiscent of other clubs supporters we are so quick to take the piss out of.

We want our Walsall back is the funniest chant I've heard. These were more than likely the same people that spent 2 years trying to hound Deano out while he built 'our Walsall'.

People forget it's a point at the top of the league club - it's a good point - why the hell all the negativity? The only troubling issue I can see is that of Rico but hounding out a manager a couple of months into his tenure is behaviour more akin to Villa or Wolves. Some people sap the enjoyment out of following the club - more so now than ever before....
the negativity comes from the so called fans that only come to games when we are high flying. and see it more as a day for a piss up than a game of football :|

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:14 pm

The point is we know how this team can play. I fully understand the current frustrations.
If anybody is "sapping the enjoyment" it's the bloody manager. Mr "I won't change it" O'Dismal.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:19 pm

m&m wrote:The point is we know how this team can play. I fully understand the current frustrations.
If anybody is "sapping the enjoyment" it's the bloody manager. Mr "I won't change it" O'Dismal.

Heard it all before with Deano mate. He built this successful team. People were making similar and worse comments about him continuously.

Just ridiculous overreaction. Teams won't just roll over for mighty Walsall :oops:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:40 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
m&m wrote:The point is we know how this team can play. I fully understand the current frustrations.

Heard it all before with Deano mate. He built this successful team. People were making similar and worse comments about him continuously.

Just ridiculous overreaction. Teams won't just roll over for mighty Walsall :oops:
the thing is though funk. we as fans go week in week out. none of us are football managers. but some of us have an idea of how the game is played.and some of us can see where we are going wrong and it's frustrating.i have played football in my youth and my nephew who was with me today has played at a decent level. chasetown/walsall wood. and we can see where we are going wrong. if that's the case them why can't s o'd address it? it's not rocket science. you see something isn't working you change it simples :wink:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:40 pm

chunkster wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:
chunkster wrote:did i hear wrong or were our fans singing "we want our walsall back" "you don't know what you are doing" when morris was coming on and booing the team at the end? :(
Correct on the first comment. I was near those singing that plus "Jon Whitney's barmy army" and "Whitney should have got the job, do da, do da".

The "don't know what you're doing" was aimed at SOD for not bringing on Rico I think.

We deserved to win that game and if we'd have snuck a goal I reckon the anti SOD chants and groans in the last ten minutes wouldn't have occurred.

Oh yeah, "3 points clear and we fudged it up" was a popular terrace song amongst that group today!
we went to the pub down the road earlier. the beech hotel. and there were fans there that i either hadn't seen for years. or never seen at all. maybe these are the one's that are bringing discontent into the crowd? one of the low points for me was being called a w****r by my own fans because i was in the burton end :lol:

Serves you right. Next time don't bring the fudge drum either! :wink:
Last edited by Leatherman on Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:47 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

But that's the rub isn't it Funky? Deano built a successful team and O'Driscoll inherited it. It's essentially the same group of players and they are a shadow of their former selves.

If something isn't working you change it. This applies whether you are the manager or the chairman.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:02 pm

regardless of what happens this season, i still would want SOD to stay even for next season

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 pm

chunkster wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

the thing is though funk. we as fans go week in week out. none of us are football managers. but some of us have an idea of how the game is played.and some of us can see where we are going wrong and it's frustrating.i have played football in my youth and my nephew who was with me today has played at a decent level. chasetown/walsall wood. and we can see where we are going wrong. if that's the case them why can't s o'd address it? it's not rocket science. you see something isn't working you change it simples :wink:

I played for Kidderminster Harriers school of excellence for 6 years then Tamworth reserves before music took over and I knocked it on the head. Don't we all have some form of story like that? Does this qualify me to stand there singing embarrassing songs against my own team?

This is it, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. We have 4000 managers and experts that think they know the game despite having achieved sweet FA, other than a few games at level 9! I don't understand the running / management of a football club, it's too simplistic to say you know how the game should be played! I don't get him leaving Rico out but just like I didn't knock Deano for his choices I'm not going to have a go at someone that knows the game inside out having made a living out of it.

Would you arrange a builder then stand behind him shouting how he should build your house extension just because you built a metre tall wall at the bottom of your garden?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Leatherman wrote:
chunkster wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

we went to the pub down the road earlier. the beech hotel. and there were fans there that i either hadn't seen for years. or never seen at all. maybe these are the one's that are bringing discontent into the crowd? one of the low points for me was being called a w****r by my own fans because i was in the burton end :lol:

Serves you right. Next time don't bring the fudge drum either! :wink:
:lol: you are right he was fudge annoying. i don't think their own fans like him :lol: anyway i'm more of a bugle man. or one of those annoying things they had at the sa world cup :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:24 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
chunkster wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

I played for Kidderminster Harriers school of excellence for 6 years then Tamworth reserves before music took over and I knocked it on the head. Don't we all have some form of story like that? Does this qualify me to stand there singing embarrassing songs against my own team?

This is it, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. We have 4000 managers and experts that think they know the game despite having achieved sweet FA, other than a few games at level 9! I don't understand the running / management of a football club, it's too simplistic to say you know how the game should be played! I don't get him leaving Rico out but just like I didn't knock Deano for his choices I'm not going to have a go at someone that knows the game inside out having made a living out of it.

Would you arrange a builder then stand behind him shouting how he should build your house extension just because you built a metre tall wall at the bottom of your garden?
ok then you know a bit about the game. if you could have a one to one with shaun tomorrow what advice if any would you give to him

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:47 pm

chunkster wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
chunkster wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:

ok then you know a bit about the game. if you could have a one to one with shaun tomorrow what advice if any would you give to him

This is my point, how can I advise him on anything? I'm a DJ & events promoter by trade.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I would ask him what his thought process is with Rico. The amount of politics that must go on behind the scenes at a football club would boggle your average fans mind. There could be any number of reasons for his omission. All I will say is it's rare for an 18 year old to play an entire season....

Also; many on here were saying they were waiting for the yearly bad patch under Deano - how do we know this would not have happened anyway. If you've played football chunkster then you know it's all about runs of form, some of them can't be explained. Blackburn won the Premier League then were relegated the following season - makes no sense but cack happens in football.

A regular accusation of Dean & SOD is that they were/are stubborn because they don't make the changes that our resident experts think they should. Errrr, no, football managers aren't stubborn - they make changes based on experience as opposed to listening to the 'advice' of some largered up fan shouting SHOOT, HIT IT LONG, BRING RICO ONNNNN' from the stands.
Last edited by funk_hits_the_fan on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Resign? :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:48 pm

What an O'Dismal game that was. :lol: Mind you did predict 0-0 on page 1 so not too surprised.

How long before the Rico is banging S O'ds daughter rumour pops up on here? (like Moyes and Zaha). Totally baffling that one of the most promising young players in the lower leagues can't get any minutes in a team lacking spark and hardly scoring goals. I'm sure there's an explanation in one of those coaching course manuals from the FA.

Burton are limited but they were very good defensively, well drilled and knew the defensive positions to take up to block crosses and set pieces. Whether they themselves have enough goals in them to get 2nd in the run in (Wigan will comfortably win the league now) is open to question.

One thing I would say though, Bradshaw is feeding on scraps but he seems to have lost some spark and energy. Compare his movement today to what Stuart Beavon was producing in the loan forward rule and I thought there was a marked difference tbh.

You see this is the point of the season where a club desperate for promotion would say to Tom...o.k you're struggling so take a breather for a few weeks on the bench like Rico.... :roll: and we'll get in a loan forward in for a month to take over. Get Bradshaw fresh for the run in and probable play offs and you also have the other forward as an option off the bench.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Another infuriating display. We should have won that at a canter. Dominating possession but hardly ever threatening. Passing sideways and backwards, playing in front of the opposition, trying to pass the ball into the net..... God we are so slow and predictable and must be so easy to defend against. SODs unwillingness to change things either the n starting line up or during matches is becoming tiresome. The Rico situation becomes more baffling by the day.

Even within our meagre squad we have players with pace and flair who can change a match from the bench. We did this to good effect earlier on in season. At least we eventually got Morris on today. Taylor had an absolute mare today but to be fair to him never hid even though every thing he touched went wrong. Chambers immense again, Milan direct but no end produce, forde finally got a cross in :shock: and Tom is feeding off scraps and not looking like scoring. Sawyers is slowing the our play down and nowhere near as decisive as he was early in season.

If SOD thinks 2 points out of 9 and 1 out of 6 against promotion rivals is fine then I must be confused. The squad has done magnificently getting us to where we are. But the team desperately need a couple of fresh faces

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:40 pm

One thing I would say though....for those who dislike O'Driscoll I'd rather stick needles in my own eyeballs (o.k maybe not go that far!) than watch a team managed by Nigel Clough for 46 games in a season.

I know they're top (for now) and it was key for them to avoid defeat but have you ever seen a team at the top offer so little? They showed more at the Bescot under Hasselbaink even in defeat. A more anti football manager dosen't exist I don't think.

They'll struggle to get 20 points in the championship next season.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:53 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:One thing I would say though....for those who dislike O'Driscoll I'd rather stick needles in my own eyeballs (o.k maybe not go that far!) than watch a team managed by Nigel Clough for 46 games in a season.

I know they're top (for now) and it was key for them to avoid defeat but have you ever seen a team at the top offer so little? They showed more at the Bescot under Hasselbaink even in defeat. A more anti football manager dosen't exist I don't think.

trust me they won't reach the championship. their only hope is to protect the points they already have :roll: the only thing that annoys me. is the fact that they have gone through the same transition as us. but seemed to have weathered it better :roll:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:58 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:One thing I would say though....for those who dislike O'Driscoll I'd rather stick needles in my own eyeballs (o.k maybe not go that far!) than watch a team managed by Nigel Clough for 46 games in a season.

I agree, very difficult to see how they are top but frankly I guess if you stop teams having any space (which most if the time they did) and can score on the break (as they usually do) then 1-0 wins will get you up there!!

I think they would struggle at a higher level as they simply don't gave the quality... Something else I think they'll struggle with if they get promoted is bigger regular crowds... This isn't sour grapes and I'm well aware our own home is no super stadium but their facilities are nothing like capable to handle crowds even the size of today's.. The toilets are a joke and trying to get to the bar or food counters was almost impossible..

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:59 pm

chunkster wrote:

trust me they won't reach the championship. their only hope is to protect the points they already have :roll: the only thing that annoys me. is the fact that they have gone through the same transition as us. but seemed to have weathered it better :roll:

Difference is they don't actually draw that many games despite being low scoring, this was their first drawn game since 19th dec.

They either win or lose so of course that gains more points in a week than two battling draws.

Going to be a very interesting race for 2nd as Gillingham are in woeful form aswell. I think the only hope is if it's a really low points tally for 2nd, something like 80 points.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:00 pm

coop63 wrote:

I agree, very difficult to see how they are top but frankly I guess if you stop teams having any space (which most if the time they did) and can score on the break (as they usually do) then 1-0 wins will get you up there!!

I think they would struggle at a higher level as they simply don't gave the quality... Something else I think they'll struggle with if they get promoted is bigger regular crowds... This isn't sour grapes and I'm well aware our own home is no super stadium but their facilities are nothing like capable to handle crowds even the size of today's.. The toilets are a joke and trying to get to the bar or food counters was almost impossible..

Not the worst ground I've been to but yeah it does have that Stevenage or Yeovil type non league feeling...I did chuckle at Villa and Newcastle fans being crammed into that terrace next season, that's when relegation hits home.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:10 pm

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Like many others - I just get fed up trying to work out if SOD is just stubborn or can see something different to the vast majority of people watching us week week out...

That game was crying out for someone with pace whos attack minded - I've heard we have a young player trying to break through called Henry!! Just don't see much if him these days!

Andy Taylor again looked a bit leggy but he was matched against a monster today - that said, a couple of attempts at crosses were frankly embarrassing..

As others have said, Sawyers is seemingly doing his best not to shoot (must be in his contract these days) and if anyone can explain the logic of hoofing the ball up to Tom in the hope that he can work magic every time is a better man than I...

The team has now been reduced to an unimaginative and routine possession football side - sideways before backwards before forwards - EVERY TIME we have the ball.. Better organised sides will continue to pick us off at home as confidence is sucked out by the current manager to the increasing frustration of the majority of fans..

Hopefully either SOD will see he must change things soon otherwise the boards desire to grab the riches of the Championship may force change to get us back into a style if football to win games again.

It's beginning to irritate many of us that this team had worked so hard to reach a standard worthy of promotion but SOD seems hell bent on doing his best to ruin it.. I appreciate the change in form seems to gave ran concurrent with George Evans departure but for gods sake isn't that the sort of challenge that a new manager should be able to handle?!?!

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:14 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Not the worst ground I've been to but yeah it does have that Stevenage or Yeovil type non league feeling...I did chuckle at Villa and Newcastle fans being crammed into that terrace next season, that's when relegation hits home.

Exactly what I was thinking... Their policing costs will be atronomic as away teams will have fans everywhere (and no doubt locked outside to cause uproar!!)

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:19 pm

As I said last week. SODOFF. These
Players were on the cusp of something beautiful. Who is to blame. It ain't us hard working and paying fans is it!!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't played well since Shrewsbury away (Dec 1st)

I can't have any complaints with today's result as we didn't do enough to win.

The club is getting what it deserves, the lack of investment in January is dictating our league form.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season