Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:39 pm

In the sense of importance, the games just keep getting bigger and bigger. Saturday sees us visiting the Pirelli Stadium which has already been sold out, and no wonder with Burton being top of the League One table by 4 points and a game in hand over Wigan and Gillingham. We're currently lying in 4th place, but a win here will keep us in close contention with the automatic promotion places and also exert pressure on our rivals. Burton's home form in the league One games is impressive, but they have managed to lose twice (against Coventry City way back in September and only last month, surprisingly, against the Sloppies). The Brewers' most recent League One form:

23 Jan Shrewsbury Town (H), Lost 1-2
26 Jan Peterborough Utd (A), Won 0-1
30 Jan Rochdale (A), Lost 2-1
6 Feb Bradford City (H), Won 3-1
12 Feb Chesterfield (H), Won 1-0
22 Feb Southend Utd (A), Lost 3-1

Stuart Beavon is Burton's leading scorer with a surprisingly low total of 7 goals to his name and the club has only registered 42 goals in League One, which is only 2 more than Colchester United who are rooted to the bottom of the table. Burton's strength lies in their defence only conceding 27 goals in 31 games, which is 6 fewer than ourselves. Nigel Clough has obviously made them meaner than they were back in October when we won the corresponding fixture at the Banks's 2-0 with goals from Liam Kinsella and Tom Bradshaw. However, Southend United showed only this week that Burton's defence is prone to the occasional bad day at the office, by scoring 3 goals at Roots Hall.

So what can we expect from Sean O'Driscoll this weekend in terms of team selection and tactics? Well, indeed, how long IS a piece of string? Rico Henry's "injury" may affect his availability, and hopefully O'Connor will be back in full contention. Bryn Morris must be close to acquiring the condition known as "Baxendale bum" with the amount of time he has occupied the bench, and I can't think that Middlesbrough will be overjoyed at Morris's lack of game time. Should Tom Bradshaw be rested? Surely not in a game THIS important? Will Romaine Sawyers be encouraged to play upfield more consistently, because he can't score or even achieve significant assists from the edge of his own penalty area.......etc. etc. etc....

If we can reproduce our "normal" away form on Saturday I would like to think we can come away with 3 points, courtesy of a gutsy 0-1 result, and I don't care who gets on the scoresheet.....perhaps another Sam Mantom thunderbolt!!

UTS :D

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Re: Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:39 am

Top summary & prediction - as always - think UTSers will be waiting (hopeful) to see if we bring anyone in before posting a match thread prediction.

Don't know if I've been brainwashed, but we've been playing reasonably well over this poor run of results. Looks like teams are better drilled against us, pressing high, rather than our own performances deteriorating. That typed, fewer opportunities means we have to make much better decisions, especially in the final third. I know it wouldn't be popular but I'd like to see Kieron Morris in the starting XI at the expense of Milan, probably. His decision making is much better, and Milan is a better attacking impact from the bench. Morris is a greater substitute when we need to see a game off.

I'd also fine Romaine if he stepped foot in our own half at any other time than a kick-off, corner or defensive free-kick. At Crewe he created so much from simply being in the highest third.

Roared on by 1,800 I think we have a 60:40 chance of turning Burton over. Wonder if our rivals are hoping for a draw?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:46 am

1-3 convincing.....

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:03 am

Good post BARREN....one thought I had is to play 2 defensive midfielders and play Sawyers and Mantom much higher up the pitch. Mantom is in good goalscoring form so it might be worth a try....a line up like this might work:
Etheridge

Demetriou
Downing
O'Connor
Henry

Chambers
Morris(B)

Mantom
Sawyers
Forde

Bradshaw

This would allow a fairly narrow 3 in support of Bradshaw and would create space,at times for our full backs to attack down the wings.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Hard to predict a lot depends on who SOD decides to rest or fall out with!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Hard to predict a lot depends on who SOD decides to rest or fall out with!

So, that would mean a line up of.....Forde..................in a 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1. format and a lot of running about on his part. :mrgreen:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 pm

0-0.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 pm

As stated by BF - another good summary (cheers..)

After the past few weeks I don't think predicting anything we do is a simple task! How many imponderables are there?!?!

If we don't concede an early or late goal then I fancy us.. But if our defence starts poorly and Burton get a sniff they could finish our automatic hopes off as I just don't see us being capable of clawing back 9 points on them and Wigan are gonna win the league (in my opinion..)

They don't score many goals though so maybe their usual 1-0 style may suit us?!?

Team selection - god where do we start?

1. We've got 2 of our best players still questionable (one dead leg - must be a good one as its been a while hasn't it?? and one injured (aka a tif with the boss!)

2. Tom will play I'm sure but if Mr Sawyers doesn't have a good one I feel the pressure on him from the fans will start to tell

3. I've mentioned in previous topics that Morris (and the Boro) must be seriously dischuffed with him being welded to the bench every game.. It's beginning to look like it was a token move for him (not a serious playing option) which I feel is bad for everyone involved and just gives further credence to the murmurs that our inability or unwillingness to play the loan market is an issue.

All that aside - I'm going for 1-2 reverse for the saddlers

6676 with 1815 official saddlers and 415 misplaced souls!

UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 pm

coop63 wrote:As stated by BF - another good summary (cheers..)

After the past few weeks I don't think predicting anything we do is a simple task! How many imponderables are there?!?!

If we don't concede an early or late goal then I fancy us.. But if our defence starts poorly and Burton get a sniff they could finish our automatic hopes off as I just don't see us being capable of clawing back 9 points on them and Wigan are gonna win the league (in my opinion..)

They don't score many goals though so maybe their usual 1-0 style may suit us?!?

1. We've got 2 of our best players still questionable (one dead leg - must be a good one as its been a while hasn't it?? and one injured (aka a tif with the boss!)

2. Tom will play I'm sure but if Mr Sawyers doesn't have a good one I feel the pressure on him from the fans will start to tell

3. I've mentioned in previous topics that Morris (and the Boro) must be seriously dischuffed with him being welded to the bench every game.. It's beginning to look like it was a token move for him (not a serious playing option) which I feel is bad for everyone involved and just gives further credence to the murmurs that our inability or unwillingness to play the loan market is an issue.

UTS
misplaced souls :lol: well as one of those myself :wink: . i am a bit worried that they will ask me to speak at the turnstile on saturday. rendering me walking round the ground for 90 minutes. trying to listen to the roars :lol: .i think i will revert to my tenerife timeshare salesman teknique of sign language. it's worked before :lol: i honestly think that burton play proper footy. and i think with the correct team selection we are a better footy team. so i'm going to say we will win. with 1800 saddlers and 400 very placed souls :wink:

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 pm

chunkster wrote:
coop63 wrote:As stated by BF - another good summary (cheers..)

UTS
misplaced souls :lol: well as one of those myself :wink: . i am a bit worried that they will ask me to speak at the turnstile on saturday. rendering me walking round the ground for 90 minutes. trying to listen to the roars :lol: .i think i will revert to my tenerife timeshare salesman teknique of sign language. it's worked before :lol: i honestly think that burton play proper footy. and i think with the correct team selection we are a better footy team. so i'm going to say we will win. with 1800 saddlers and 400 very placed souls :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Misplaced only in context of the geography of the Pirelli Stadium :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 pm

Nigel Clough sides are hoofball and dull as dishwater....no idea if he's actually changed at Burton but his Sheffield United sides were horrible to watch.

I should actually change my predictino to 1 all as every single game with Sheffield over last few years seemed to end in that score.

I'm fairly sure it will be a low scoring game especially with what is at stake for Burton.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Nigel Clough sides are hoofball and dull as dishwater....no idea if he's actually changed at Burton but his Sheffield United sides were horrible to watch.

I should actually change my predictino to 1 all as every single game with Sheffield over last few years seemed to end in that score.

I'm fairly sure it will be a low scoring game especially with what is at stake for Burton.
oh god ye. i forgot he had taken charge :| , i wonder if their style of play has changed that much since JFH has left? whatever HAS changed it doesn't seem to have affected them as much as it has us :|

Burton Saddler

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Ok, I'm in. Been reading this forum for a long time but never bothered to register before. I was born (and still live) in Burton but raised a Saddler by my largely Black country family.

Walsall playing a league fixture (and a meaningful one at that) at Burton is something I could never have imagined growing up. For most of my life Burton have knocked around the lower leagues attracting crowds of around 300, sometimes meeting us in the senior cup but being more occupied with their rivalry with Gresley.

It's not often I can impart knowledge, but living (and drinking) in Burton, I may be able to offer assistance to Saddlers visiting for the day. Please don't ask me to get you tickets though, I've got mine in the Walsall end and won't be getting anymore.

Prediction wise, I've seen Burton a couple of times this year and they haven't really impressed. They are much more effective than spectacular.

I think if you can get an early goal against Burton they struggle to change it up so I'll go with 1-3. Walsall to score in the first 10 mins.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Burton Saddler wrote:Ok, I'm in. Been reading this forum for a long time but never bothered to register before. I was born (and still live) in Burton but raised a Saddler by my largely Black country family.

Walsall playing a league fixture (and a meaningful one at that) at Burton is something I could never have imagined growing up. For most of my life Burton have knocked around the lower leagues attracting crowds of around 300, sometimes meeting us in the senior cup but being more occupied with their rivalry with Gresley.

It's not often I can impart knowledge, but living (and drinking) in Burton, I may be able to offer assistance to Saddlers visiting for the day. Please don't ask me to get you tickets though, I've got mine in the Walsall end and won't be getting anymore.

Prediction wise, I've seen Burton a couple of times this year and they haven't really impressed. They are much more effective than spectacular.

I think if you can get an early goal against Burton they struggle to change it up so I'll go with 1-3. Walsall to score in the first 10 mins.

Welcome to the forum BS. I wouldn't be as forward as to ask you to get any tickets. But your address and postcode might be handy :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Welcome Burton Saddler.

Any advice on best parking options?

Burton Saddler

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Cheers for the welcome.

There is quite a large car park at the ground and a large industrial estate opposite on Hawkins lane. Last time I went we parked on the industrial estate (for free) and got away with no issues. The streets right near to the ground are usually coned off to prevent parking.

There are currently road works near the ground however and this will be by far their biggest crowd of the season. For these reasons I think parking too near the ground might not be the best option.

If you don't mind a walk I'd park somewhere near to the town hall. You should be able to park for free in one of the streets round the back. It's probably a 20 min walk but you get to take in The Cottage, Alfred and Derby Inn en route :D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Burton Saddler wrote:Cheers for the welcome.

There is quite a large car park at the ground and a large industrial estate opposite on Hawkins lane. Last time I went we parked on the industrial estate (for free) and got away with no issues. The streets right near to the ground are usually coned off to prevent parking.

There are currently road works near the ground however and this will be by far their biggest crowd of the season. For these reasons I think parking too near the ground might not be the best option.

If you don't mind a walk I'd park somewhere near to the town hall. You should be able to park for free in one of the streets round the back. It's probably a 20 min walk but you get to take in The Cottage, Alfred and Derby Inn en route :D

Which pub would you advise away fans to use? Closer to the ground the better.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:42 pm

0-2

We'll win.

Burton Saddler

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:13 pm

There are three pubs very close to the ground. I don't think any Burton pubs are specifically designated home or away so you shouldn't have any issues.

The Great Northern, just the other side of the railway bridge towards the Ind est. This is a Burton Bridge pub so good ales and is probably the most popular with both Home and Away fans prior to matches. I'd expect this to be very busy.

The Derby Inn. This has not long been taken over by a Wentworth brewery (Derby) and is a proper time warp pub serving good beers and pickled bar snacks. I'd definitely recommend this pub but it is very, very small so again will probably be very busy.

The Beech Inn. This is pretty big so is probably best geared up to large numbers of away fans. Not a bad pub but probably not as good as the other two (in my opinion).

Plenty of other options but all slightly further afield.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:55 pm

If you are driving, best bet is to avoid the town centre. Go past the branston/burton junction on the a38 to the next junction (clay mills), head towards burton and the ground is around a mile at most on the right hand side. Much quicker and avoids all the roadworks and easier to get away after the match. After leaving the a38 i would either park before the first island or go around the island and park going back towards the a38. Walking towards the ground there is a mcdonalds and then the beech pub which is always popular with away fans. Then rather than walk all the way to the next island where the main entrance to the ground is, when you see the ground on the right there is a large gap in the hedge you can cut through and save your legs.the away end is in front of you!
See you on the north terrace! :wink:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:49 am

I can see both sides cancelling each other out in a very nervous affair, so I'll go with what SoccerHQ said, 0-0.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Anyone know if O'Connor is fit for this, I'd fancy a clean sheet if he is.

TownSwift

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 pm

maybe...
Bitter Brewers beaten by Bradshaw brace
1-2

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:03 am

No good having 2000 fans there if they criticise and don't support the boys, like at Crewe.

Mossive game. Don't make any nervy moments for the players worse, get behind them throughout.

If super JoC is back in, we'll scrape it.

Walsall Wise

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:28 am

First time posting on here after following for a while now, so here goes...

2-1 to the mighty S'ODdlers. Mantom with a lethal 35 yard strike and bax to come back on loan a minute before kick-off and grab the winner :mrgreen:

notts_saddler

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:53 am

IS it coincidence that our form dipped after Bax left on loan!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Starting line-up against Burton Albion:

Etheridge

Demetriou
O'Connor
Downing
Taylor

Forde
Mantom
Chambers
Lalkovic

Sawyers

Bradshaw

Substitutes: Roberts, Morris, Morris, Cook, Flanagan, Preston, Henry

So, evidently Rico Henry is fit enough to be named, but doesn't have the quality to get further than the bench!! :?

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm

3-1 Burton after seeing that team. Well pan them all over the pitch they'll go 2-0 up well pull one back and concede a third trying to equalise.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Early goals elsewhere........

Doncaster Rovers 0 Millwall 1

Wigan Athletic 1 Bury 0 (W. Grigg) :roll: ....... EDIT.... now 2-0 (8 minutes!)

Peterborough Utd 1 Swindon Town 0

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Wigan 2-0

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season