Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:36 pm

TWM1962 wrote:As I said last week. SODOFF. These
Players were on the cusp of something beautiful. Who is to blame. It ain't us hard working and paying fans is it!!
burton have gone through the same change that we have. a new manager. they have gone on as business as usual. we have gone to???

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:46 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:One thing I would say though, Bradshaw is feeding on scraps but he seems to have lost some spark and energy. Compare his movement today to what Stuart Beavon was producing in the loan forward rule and I thought there was a marked difference tbh.

Agreed, but imagine going out to do that job week in week out. Apply that to an every day situation, you're hungry but can't get food, your enthusiasm eventually runs out and you probably die.

Yeah he's a professional football, well paid and does what he loves...but I'm watching him thinking I'd rather be doing my job and being average at that. Shocking working conditions I'd describe it as.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:45 am

philthesaddler wrote:Why have we signed Wakefield?

I'd say he's in to keep Isiah Osbourne company.

Finch

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:34 am

There is a lot of negativity on this thread, and I do understand it as there are a few worrying signs at times. Despite this, I honestly don't think things are as bad as some people make it sound.

Reasons we can look ahead with some hope:
* Since SOD took over we have 19 points from 12 games (1.58 per game) and while this is lower than previously, it includes 4 games against fellow top 6 sides. Continuing at this rate would give us 80 points, which is definitely top 6 and has half a shout of top 2 if others continue to falter.
* We were 4th when Deano left. We are 4th now. The league hasn't seen a huge decline, save for the natural peaks and troughs you'd expect. I agree that there have been some poor performances in 2016 though.
* While our home form has slipped, our away form certainly hasn't. If we take cup games into account and use the Reading game to criticise, we must also remember Brentford.
* Our squad is threadbare and we know this. Thankfully we don't currently have any of the core players out injured and we have to be happy with this. I do concede that some are showing signs of fatigue, however.
* We have just got a really tough month out of the way and are still in with a shout. We only have one game left against a top 6 side. No other team has got so many games against direct rivals out of the way.
* I too would like some fresh legs and enthusiasm in the squad, but really wasn't expecting any potential first teamer until this week, when the 90 day limit would allow any potential player to appear in the play off final. If we see no movement this week or next I will join those who are a little frustrated at this.
* I'd take our position over Gills and Cov, though would gladly swap with Wigan or Burton. Puts us 3rd favourites with 14 games to go. This is decent!

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:13 am

Finch wrote:There is a lot of negativity on this thread, and I do understand it as there are a few worrying signs at times. Despite this, I honestly don't think things are as bad as some people make it sound.

* Since SOD took over we have 19 points from 12 games (1.58 per game) and while this is lower than previously, it includes 4 games against fellow top 6 sides. Continuing at this rate would give us 80 points, which is definitely top 6 and has half a shout of top 2 if others continue to falter.
* We were 4th when Deano left. We are 4th now. The league hasn't seen a huge decline, save for the natural peaks and troughs you'd expect. I agree that there have been some poor performances in 2016 though.
* While our home form has slipped, our away form certainly hasn't. If we take cup games into account and use the Reading game to criticise, we must also remember Brentford.
* Our squad is threadbare and we know this. Thankfully we don't currently have any of the core players out injured and we have to be happy with this. I do concede that some are showing signs of fatigue, however.
* We have just got a really tough month out of the way and are still in with a shout. We only have one game left against a top 6 side. No other team has got so many games against direct rivals out of the way.
* I too would like some fresh legs and enthusiasm in the squad, but really wasn't expecting any potential first teamer until this week, when the 90 day limit would allow any potential player to appear in the play off final. If we see no movement this week or next I will join those who are a little frustrated at this.
* I'd take our position over Gills and Cov, though would gladly swap with Wigan or Burton. Puts us 3rd favourites with 14 games to go. This is decent!

i agree Finch that there is a lot of negativity but to be honest much of it is warranted... It's about opinion and here's mine to your well thought out comments..

* Since SOD took over we have 19 points from 12 games (1.58 per game) and while this is lower than previously, it includes 4 games against fellow top 6 sides. Continuing at this rate would give us 80 points, which is definitely top 6 and has half a shout of top 2 if others continue to falter. [u] [b]From a position of much strength where a point or 2 separated the top teams we are well off the pace (form and points)

* We were 4th when Deano left. We are 4th now. The league hasn't seen a huge decline, save for the natural peaks and troughs you'd expect. I agree that there have been some poor performances in 2016 though. My point above pertains to this too - there have been big changes in that the form teams are making it count - we are 6 points behind Burton!
* While our home form has slipped, our away form certainly hasn't. If we take cup games into account and use the Reading game to criticise, we must also remember Brentford. Cup matches are irrelevant apart from adding to form - one good win and one poor loss now seem largely irrelevant..
* Our squad is threadbare and we know this. Thankfully we don't currently have any of the core players out injured and we have to be happy with this. I do concede that some are showing signs of fatigue, however. You can say that again but why do we persist to leave arguably our best player on the bench because he's had a tiff with the gaffer?!?!
* We have just got a really tough month out of the way and are still in with a shout. We only have one game left against a top 6 side. No other team has got so many games against direct rivals out of the way. we are Walsall and we always play best against better teams - I'm very worried that lesser teams simply defend us for 90 minutes and smash and grab (Happened a few times already this season...)
* I too would like some fresh legs and enthusiasm in the squad, but really wasn't expecting any potential first teamer until this week, when the 90 day limit would allow any potential player to appear in the play off final. If we see no movement this week or next I will join those who are a little frustrated at this. Join the club..
* I'd take our position over Gills and Cov, though would gladly swap with Wigan or Burton. Puts us 3rd favourites with 14 games to go. This is decent![/quote] Cov are a lesson in over the top recruitment - they seem to have done the opposite to us in respect of signings (too many!)

Finch

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:29 am

Yeah, fair points Coop. I think I'm just searching quite hard for the bright side this morning! Along with others, I've endured too many seasons of tedium not to try my hardest to enjoy the relatively good times!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:50 am

The bottom line is that this is the best WFC team we have since 2008, so why are so many people being negative?

Yesterday we bossed a game away against the league leaders who were given absolutely everything by a joke of a referee.

Let's be more positive.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:10 am

aaaae wrote:The bottom line is that this is the best WFC team we have since 2008, so why are so many people being negative?

Yesterday we bossed a game away against the league leaders who were given absolutely everything by a joke of a referee.

Let's be more positive.

I see it more a case of frustration than negativity aaaae. I reckon everyone would agree that we are exceeding pre-season expectations, however, due to the results and performances hopes and expectations have understandably risen.There is a lot of frustration right now due to the recent run of results, which makes some people feel the need to have a pop and others who just want to discuss the reasons why. Many of the points being discussed are entirely valid in my view.

Anyway, on a positive note, Tuesday could be mossiv if we win as Burton are away at the Blades, Wigan play Millwall and Gillingham have a tricky one away at Fleetwood.

UTS

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 am

chestersaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:The bottom line is that this is the best WFC team we have since 2008, so why are so many people being negative?

Let's be more positive.

I see it more a case of frustration than negativity aaaae. I reckon everyone would agree that we are exceeding pre-season expectations, however, due to the results and performances hopes and expectations have understandably risen.There is a lot of frustration right now due to the recent run of results, which makes some people feel the need to have a pop and others who just want to discuss the reasons why. Many of the points being discussed are entirely valid in my view.

Anyway, on a positive note, Tuesday could be mossiv if we win as Burton are away at the Blades, Wigan play Millwall and Gillingham have a tricky one away at Fleetwood.

UTS

Agree about Tuesday, and also same for Saturday. Barnsley are on a great run so will probably be a very tough game.

I am as frustrated as everyone else, especially against Blackpool and at Crewe because we absolutely battered them. The negativity I am talking about is people singing we want our Walsall back and the other half dozen silly chants on Saturday at Burton. It is a minority of people though.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:00 pm

I didn't hear any thing but support for the team where I was stood.

One thing that has stood out to for me is the lack of form of Sawyers. He was untouchable the first half of the season and was rightly being suggested as one of, if not the best, player in the league.

However, I think he's been well below that level for some time now and is performing like the Sawyers of old. Flashes of inspiration here and there, but not influencing games enough to compensate for his lack of goal-scoring.

Is this SOD's impact, or was the first half of the season just a purple patch and normal service has been resumed? I'm not sure.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:00 pm

All this stuff about we don't have to play any of the top 6 now.....

We were doing well against top teams before, now we are not really...we losing and struggling

However we are struggling against ALL TEAMS to even score let alone win.

The relegation battle teams will want to win as much as the promotion chasing teams.

Significant tactical, style or personnel changes needed.....for a boost.

Biggest frustration is we were in a position to even win the league but keep on messing up games that should've been won.

But those continuous failings have damaged confidence....and now play has gone down the pan.

So SOD needs to fix it along with the players.

If supporters hear other supporters make dumb anti-manager/player chants....the sensible supporters should do a louder pro-manager player/chant.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 pm

sallian wrote:All this stuff about we don't have to play any of the top 6 now.....

We were doing well against top teams before, now we are not really...we losing and struggling

The relegation battle teams will want to win as much as the promotion chasing teams.

Biggest frustration is we were in a position to even win the league but keep on messing up games that should've been won.

But those continuous failings have damaged confidence....and now play has gone down the pan.

If supporters hear other supporters make dumb anti-manager/player chants....the sensible supporters should do a louder pro-manager player/chant.

Sorry Sallian, I could not be part of that request, since he has come in with his negative, stubborn, boring tactics, he has systematically dismantled our attempts at promotion, he seems bored and uninterested, obviously never wanted the job, and unfortunately this attitude rubs off on the players, hence the miserable slump, sooner he disappears into the sunset the better. Even if we end up for the rest of the season without a manager, it HAS to be better than what we have currently.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:43 pm

I had a thicko behind me at the game yesterday, in the 85th minute he came out with "one goal will win this now".

:lol: :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
sallian wrote:All this stuff about we don't have to play any of the top 6 now.....

Sorry Sallian, I could not be part of that request, since he has come in with his negative, stubborn, boring tactics, he has systematically dismantled our attempts at promotion, he seems bored and uninterested, obviously never wanted the job, and unfortunately this attitude rubs off on the players, hence the miserable slump, sooner he disappears into the sunset the better. Even if we end up for the rest of the season without a manager, it HAS to be better than what we have currently.

Not all personalities are the same, and varied methods and styles can all be successful...it is difficult to take over a club whose success was not based on money but a delicate team and coach, inter-player rapport and man-management. Even SOD highlighted these subtle ingredients of success.

Also don't overlook Dean Smith's failings, we were not perfect before and had lots of questionable aspects to our game.

Attacking the manager and players openly will achieve zero, there is not enough time to get someone else in and Dean Smith took ages to get Walsall looking to where he did, 4th longest serving manager don't forget, then he vanished before the final hurdles.

SOD took the job on so obviously wanted it, and he has said many intelligent things since he has been here which are rarely heard from managers.

I don't need him to be some over enthusiastic salesman or Mr Motivator with no plan or technique and tactics. Also don't need him to be a ranting emotional nutcase.

The players would have got tired, injured, known about anyway.

He does see problems and looks for solutions.

Don't forget he is trying his best to make Walsall successful, he gains nothing from Walsall failing. It is a very difficult job with lots of variables, many of which are out of your hands.

Don't forget a few inches here and there and we would be top of the league.

We seem to have stalled a bit, but sometimes adjustments are needed, a step backwards to go two forward.

Also don't forget the players are youngsters overall.....not long been adults, they have to learn to adapt to new personalities and coaching methods too...

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:51 pm

pumajaguar wrote:I didn't hear any thing but support for the team where I was stood.

One thing that has stood out to for me is the lack of form of Sawyers. He was untouchable the first half of the season and was rightly being suggested as one of, if not the best, player in the league.

However, I think he's been well below that level for some time now and is performing like the Sawyers of old. Flashes of inspiration here and there, but not influencing games enough to compensate for his lack of goal-scoring.

Is this SOD's impact, or was the first half of the season just a purple patch and normal service has been resumed? I'm not sure.

I agree in general - I only heard great support for the team yesterday...

On your final point, I'm fairly sure the change in Sawyers form has definitely been influenced by SOD - he's having to adapt (positionally) to compensate for temporary poor game management elsewhere in midfield resulting from team selections..

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:01 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE as a gesture of goodwill for your fellow Walsall supporter - stop quoting sallian!!

Think it's absolutely hilarious that someone that doesn't go to any games is giving out advice on what supporters should do to drown out negative chants :lol: you couldn't make it up!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:34 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote: you couldn't make it up!

this annoying, false and illiterate phrase...although very old....has become a new mantra for chavs when opposing anything their small minds can't grasp

but to sweep it away.....If it already exists, then you certainly could make it up

i have attended hundreds of games I think.......since 1987

Last game I attended was Reading

But if you have a brain and understanding of a subject.....you can make more accurate judgements than the direct witnesses even, who don't understand what they are seeing.

Reports, statistics, general knowledge of human nature, culture, psychology, biology, sociology can go a long way even if you are clueless about a particular sport...........and in this case I am not.....I could even still do a big job for Walsall at 40yrs old (a cross between Zidane, Scholes, Batistuta and David Kelly)

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:41 pm

sallian wrote:

this annoying, false and illiterate phrase...although very old....has become a new mantra for chavs when opposing anything their small minds can't grasp

but to sweep it away.....If it already exists, then you certainly could make it up

But if you have a brain and understanding of a subject.....you can make more accurate judgements than the direct witnesses even, who don't understand what they are seeing.

Reports, statistics, general knowledge of human nature, culture, psychology, biology, sociology can go a long way even if you are clueless about a particular sport...........and in this case I am not.....I could even still do a big job for Walsall at 40yrs old (a cross between Zidane, Scholes, Batistuta and David Kelly)

I would love to attend every match, but I can't do that nor justify it....too many important things to do, although I admit I also spend way too much time on this board.....but I do need some entertainment and trivial pursuits.....all work and no play make Jack a dull boy....and The Shining is among my favourite films.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:57 pm

It's fine margins with Sawyers, I thought he was quite good actually yesterday and he was the only player on the pitch capable of playing that defence splitting pass for Demetriou in the second half.

If he scores that we're all patting ourselves on the back on another Romaine match winning assist like at Donny.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:14 pm

sallian wrote:

Out of interest, Sallian, how many games do you attend each season?

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:20 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

In recent years not many. I don't discuss administrative policy in public...that is an internal matter. Train fares are too high and the gate prices too!

Used to attend 20 odd but no more.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:22 pm

sallian wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

In recent years not many. I don't discuss administrative policy in public...that is an internal matter. Train fares are too high and the gate prices too!

So basically, you are a tight Scunthorpe :lol: :lol:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:38 pm

As far as I'm aware he hasn't been to a game in two seasons yet sits on this board writing 4 page essays about our game every Saturday afternoon. Yet he has the front to have a go at me for suggesting he is a joke :lol:

TROLL

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:41 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:As far as I'm aware he hasn't been to a game in two seasons yet sits on this board writing 4 page essays about our game every Saturday afternoon. Yet he has the front to have a go at me for suggesting he is a joke :lol:

TROLL

I was at Reading you clown....remember the inflatable footballs and getting them falling down the stairs in the middle....the chav hooligan types gathering towards the corner tunnel?

I'm miles away from Walsall

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:43 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

So basically, you are a tight Scunthorpe :lol: :lol:

Well it could be argued I am the opposite....money spent on watching Walsall would really be money spent on my entertainment, I have to spend on other things and spend my time on other things otherwise I get in trouble...I get in trouble for even being on this board.

But as for tightness, even if I'm rolling in millions....I will still be looking in the poundshops, B&M, Lidl......great value on some things :)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:52 pm

sallian wrote:Well it could be argued I am the opposite....money spent on watching Walsall would really be money spent on my entertainment, I have to spend on other things and spend my time on other things otherwise I get in trouble...I get in trouble for even being on this board.

But as for tightness, even if I'm rolling in millions....I will still be looking in the poundshops, B&M, Lidl......great value on some things :)

If you are skint then I agree. If you have money then enjoy it. Your kids will spend it quickly enough when your gone :wink:

I'm living it up at The Matty Fryatt Hotel on Tuesday and fudge the expense :mrgreen:

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:55 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:Well it could be argued I am the opposite....money spent on watching Walsall would really be money spent on my entertainment, I have to spend on other things and spend my time on other things otherwise I get in trouble...I get in trouble for even being on this board.

If you are skint then I agree. If you have money then enjoy it. Your kids will spend it quickly enough when your gone :wink:

I'm living it up at The Matty Fryatt Hotel on Tuesday and fudge the expense :mrgreen:

Premier Inn was big step up for me from Travelodge....I felt out of place in the clean bathroom

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Came away from the game feeling disappointed that we hadn't won against a team that appeared to be limited in ambition and flare. Perhaps that was down to Mark Duffy being out, or simply a draw suited them far more than it did us.

The disappointment was initially tempered by most of the other results going for us, but then replaced by frustration that we hadn't capitalised on those results.

We didn't particularly deserve to win, but played the most pleasing football.
Had Demetriou buried the chance he had (the keeper shouldn't have had a prayer), we could have won.
Had Demetriou not made a last ditch interception from Mason, we could have lost.

I think if more players had matched the efforts made by Lalkovic to try to create openings then we might well have done better. His end product on occasions wasn't there, but that shouldn't diminish his attitude and application.

I see all sorts of opinions on here about the formation(s) we are playing, but to me it just looks 4-5-1, with absolutely nobody getting sufficiently close to Bradshaw on most occasions. I thought Bradshaw did as well as he could and made a reasonable fist of holding the ball up and trying to bring others into play, albeit he was less able than Beavon to actually get in an attempt on goal.

I think it's time to give Forde a go in central midfield to see whether he could improve things there. He is "two footed" and willing to take a shot with either. Putting him in the middle would bring the opportunity to reintroduce Keiron Morris out wide. Was fully expecting Morris' shot to hit the back of the net late on, but sadly not.

Overall, unfortunately, our play was too predictable and as such made it relatively easy for Burton to achieve their aim of not losing.

There is still almost a third of the season to go and anything is still possible. Results and form can quickly change around as that is the nature of football.

Two things I learnt yesterday, were that Burton must have bought their state of the art pitch watering system from the same shop as us and that their manual operators don't appear to get as wet as ours.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Guests on this forum must giggle at the idiotic ramblings of Sallian and his opponents etc.. Why don't folk just use it for what it was intended which is primarily topics about our club... Other topics accepted of course in the scope of the users but the personal disagreements do get bloody boring if I'm honest.. In my opinion!

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:57 pm

The Bosted Slab wrote:
I think it's time to give Forde a go in central midfield to see whether he could improve things there. He is "two footed" and willing to take a shot with either. Putting him in the middle would bring the opportunity to reintroduce Keiron Morris out wide. .

this is a good idea

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season