Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Re: Burton Albion (A) League One, 27 Feb 3pm

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:57 pm

was really looking forward to the game and it was rather limp much like the atmosphere, burton played for the draw in my opinion from kick off hoping to nick something off a knockdown or set piece. The pitch is very tight and they banked in so its easy to see why they don't concede many and certainly easy to see why they score so few, very little intent to get forward in numbers, even their full backs refuse to run beyond the winger.

seeing the way they play, taylor was the better choice in my opinion, he was decent defensively in my opinion but terrible going forward, his crossing in particular was way off, he isn't a player with much confidence at the minute. That said, I still believe we should have gambled with 30 minutes to go and got rico on, they sat back inviting pressure and our tempo was far too slow.

The more I see of SOD the more dislike I have for him, he was happy for the draw and his use of the bench says as much. if we don't rotate a few player Tuesday ill be really peed off and like others have mentioned id expect some movement in the next fortnight for a second striker.

cant be bothered with an opinion on the ref as he broke the rules on numerous occasions and his bias was as one sided as gang rape, could have cost us the game he was that bad.

my team for Tuesday.

etheridge
demetriou
oconnor
preston
henry

morris
chambers
morris
forde

bradshaw
lalkovic

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:59 pm

coop63 wrote:Guests on this forum must giggle at the idiotic ramblings of Sallian and his opponents etc.. Why don't folk just use it for what it was intended which is primarily topics about our club... Other topics accepted of course in the scope of the users but the personal disagreements do get bloody boring if I'm honest.. In my opinion!

UTS

tell me one thing that i have said that is idiotic....you are right about my opponents though

I have Walsall blood and and the blood of mine has flowed through the blood of Walsall players

So it is all relevant somewhere

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:my team for Tuesday.

etheridge
demetriou
oconnor
preston
henry

morris
chambers
morris
forde

bradshaw
lalkovic

So you'd drop Downing despite him being one of our best performers at Burton, and bring in Morris despite having never seen him play (I assume)???

Greg

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 am

Attended the game and stood in the Burton end :lol:

Concerns over Taylor he looks void of confidence, legs are going either due to age or fitness/games played he was running in treacle and flat footed so many times. The poor chap must of made 20 passes and only found a player on 3 of these. Mantom is still a shade of his previous self or maybe this was just an off game he seemed to be a passenger for large parts.

We could of had the game during the last 20 minutes but lacked any real spark, no one wanted to take a chance and it became very sideways and backwards despite having some joy through Milan and their RB. Their fans - No noise at all in the stand we stood in, the bunch around us really rated O'Connor and I thought he was super again.

Overall lots of running around and not a lot of anything else for me during the game. The referee was awful I felt for both sides some truly bizarre decisions over the game. Great point of course against top of the league on paper but it could of been 3 points with some more attacking intent and a 'gamble'. SOD maybe even use Rico !

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:10 am

Taylor is only 29 so he should be in the peak form of his life. His legs certainly shouldn't be going. It is clear that every team we play target him as the weak link in our defence. First half particularly every single Burton attack was down their right flank. I actually think Taylor stood up to it really well. Snuffed out almost everything they threw at him. Going forward though, he wasn't quite so good. Wasted a couple of good opportunities with his delivery.

We are just being too cautious. To win games we need to throw caution to the wind more often. This is exactly where Rico was coming in at the start of the season. We are expecting Tom to beat four players on his own, which is just impossible and he is getting battered with no protection from referees. Game after game he has defenders climbing all over him, pushing and pulling and kicking him. The only time Sawyers made a run beyond Tom on Saturday, Tom put him through one on one. We need Sawyers, Manton to run beyond Tom and the wingers to come inside with runs to drag the defenders around make spaces.

We really aren't very far from being a very good team.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:55 am

Thought Taylor had a solid game and had a lot more to do defensively than Demetriou. A couple of stray passes and a cross which went straight out is not really how I'd like to judge our full backs overall 90 minute performance.

He had a great display defensively and stood up to everything; I also thought he offered a decent outlet going forward and I don't think Milan helped helped with his performance today, can't say he offered much more than Taylor offensively? correct me if I'm wrong.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:13 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:Thought Taylor had a solid game and had a lot more to do defensively than Demetriou. A couple of stray passes and a cross which went straight out is not really how I'd like to judge our full backs overall 90 minute performance.

He had a great display defensively and stood up to everything; I also thought he offered a decent outlet going forward and I don't think Milan helped helped with his performance today, can't say he offered much more than Taylor offensively? correct me if I'm wrong.

Problem with this is Taylor had more defending to because Burton had obviously done their home work and targeted him as the weak link..

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:25 am

Just seen the "HIGHLIGHTS"......are those 2 teams at the top or bottom of the league? 2 messy chances each...Really?I think its about time S O'd got Bradshaw a partner.....he doesn't need to be a world beater...just someone for him to play off.Its like Wembley all over again,they seem frightened to try anything new in case it doesn't work.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 am

Mazza01 wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:Thought Taylor had a solid game and had a lot more to do defensively than Demetriou. A couple of stray passes and a cross which went straight out is not really how I'd like to judge our full backs overall 90 minute performance.

Problem with this is Taylor had more defending to because Burton had obviously done their home work and targeted him as the weak link..

That's what football is all about though. Teams will analyse Barcelona and try to look at where they may have gaps or weaknesses in their play in which they can exploit. Jase is quicker than Taylor so I think they were hoping the pace of Akins could cause Taylor a few more problems. I have no problem with teams picking out Taylor as someone they can exploit; Burton tried yesterday but failed, hence the deserved clean sheet.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:20 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

That's what football is all about though. Teams will analyse Barcelona and try to look at where they may have gaps or weaknesses in their play in which they can exploit. Jase is quicker than Taylor so I think they were hoping the pace of Akins could cause Taylor a few more problems. I have no problem with teams picking out Taylor as someone they can exploit; Burton tried yesterday but failed, hence the deserved clean sheet.

I agree. Let's also bear in mind the fact that their best chance of the game came when Demetriou was caught horribly out of position. He recovered well, but it was suicidal to get caught that high up the pitch.

Personally, I'd go with Morris on the right and Forde on the left tomorrow. Lalkovic looked OK on Saturday, but the sheer fact that Morris is left footed means he cuts inside and gets himself close to Bradshaw, which is something we really could have done with at Burton.

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Bee_Leevers wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:

I agree. Let's also bear in mind the fact that their best chance of the game came when Demetriou was caught horribly out of position. He recovered well, but it was suicidal to get caught that high up the pitch.

Personally, I'd go with Morris on the right and Forde on the left tomorrow. Lalkovic looked OK on Saturday, but the sheer fact that Morris is left footed means he cuts inside and gets himself close to Bradshaw, which is something we really could have done with at Burton.

Can't fault Milan for trying but sometimes games like Saturday was just crying out for that bit of magic to decide the game. He is capable of it I just think he might be lacking a little bit of confidence at the moment.

itasaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm

On paper this was a good result.

Being at the game I couldn't help feel disappointed that we hadn't been able to win or at least threaten more.

Burton aren't a very good side, they are top by being organised and snuffing out the opposition and grabbing goals on the break. I would have thought we would of had a plan to combat this, and we certainly need one going forward as I reckon the majority of teams we play from now until the end of the season will use similar tactics.

Taylor needs to work on his ball control! I lost count the amount of times the ball went out for throws because of his lack of control.

Sawyers was playing too deep, it looked like he and Chambers had swapped roles as Chambers was getting forward more! It may have been me but what did Sawyers do for the last 10-15 mins. I thought I had missed a sub as he was nowhere to be seen, only to find him standing on the right wing not even calling for the ball!

Very frustrating afternoon for me, I heard the chants and a few boos at the end (which a couple of the players picked up on), which I think was unwarranted. Think it boils down to we know how good we can play and we just having been doing it lateley.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:02 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Big Dave wfc wrote:my team for Tuesday.

etheridge
demetriou
oconnor
preston
henry

morris
chambers
morris
forde

bradshaw
lalkovic

So you'd drop Downing despite him being one of our best performers at Burton, and bring in Morris despite having never seen him play (I assume)???

personally I would, I see good attributes in downing and he played well at burton, but I don't think he deals with pace and movement particularly well which is something scunny have upfront in madden and hopper, I don't think the pace side of things is something preston needs to worry about having seen him outsprint rico.
Id start morris to obviously see what he's like, the manager must have thought he could use him at sometime to consider bringing him in surely? plus I don't think mantom has been at his best for sometime, he scored a belter against wigan but I didn't know he was playing until the last 15 mins at burton.
To be perfectly honest if sod stuck with the same team and it ended up with us bagging the 3 points I couldn't care less, just think a few fresh legs might add some impetus to the side.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 pm

An excellent piss up, I've only just recovered

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season