Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (H) League One, 20th Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Wigan Athletic (H) League One, 20th Feb 3pm

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:15 pm

IHTC. wrote:SODS use of substitutions make Smith look like a tactical genius.

:shock:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:00 pm

The blame game is in full flow...its the manager,its the goalkeeper etc. firstly as I said earlier Wigan were better than us and generally the better team wins....the fact we didn't at Crewe tells you where one of our major problems is....the lack of support for Bradshaw. Secondly to blame the keeper for those goals is very harsh...they were both great strikes and if blame is to be attributed it lies elsewhere.
Someone above said we are looking jaded I agree with that and it is little wonder we have used fewer players than anyone else in the league. I have posted elsewhere I would try something different next week to try and freshen things up.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:14 pm

I think the rest of the team is OK, but we need to sign a striker. Someone who can have the impact Trevor Benjamin had for us in our League 2 promotion.

Looking forward to Burton next week.

The next 3 games are crucial. Barnsley at home could make or break our season and they have been on a red hot streak of form.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:10 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Thing is Funk, if you make reference to someone's post, it makes sense to quote them. I have never blocked anyone but I imagine that the thread becomes a little disjointed with parts missing?

Salian might write mainly bollocks, however, if everyone agreed about everything the site wouldn't be worth visiting.

I don't mind disagreeing with people. The thing is the guy doesn't go to ANY games, writes essays of complete babble, follows one post with another; it's a nuisance. It's not like you can enter into an intelligent convo - it's just trolling. Personally I wish I had as much time on my hands. I'm convinced it's another poster anyway. In life you can block out idiots from your immediate circles so why on earth not on here?! :) Would much rather read posters' reports that have been to the game that have to filter through 4 pages of absolute waffle based on nothing. I aint got the time....

I would prefer a thread making no sense without Sallian quotes than a thead that makes perfect sense with them included :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:27 pm

I agree with Funk.

Some of the basic points Sallian makes have some merit. Even so, they're repetitive and annoying to read and it is hard to engage in conversation with.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:03 pm

tinned wrote:I agree with Funk.

Some of the basic points Sallian makes have some merit. Even so, they're repetitive and annoying to read and it is hard to engage in conversation with.

repeating is needed until it becomes a reality

we all repeat all the time, all the time...

we never know when SOD is reading the board....so i need to keep repeating, repeating

I would write him a letter but I don't know his address

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:27 pm

sallian wrote:

we never know when SOD is reading the board....so i need to keep repeating, repeating

If you had his address, would you promise to write to him, every three minutes, instead of here?

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:35 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:

If you had his address, would you promise to write to him, every three minutes, instead of here?[/quot

I appreciate Sallian irritates (me included sometimes) but you can always just ignore him. :wink:

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:38 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:

If you had his address, would you promise to write to him, every three minutes, instead of here?

No because he might have me sectioned under chapter 4 of the Mental Health Act 1968, and I don't want my brain fried with ECT or any mind numbing chemicals....as then I can't advise everyone who needs my advice.....and what would you all do without me to organize your thoughts and provide solutions for your confusions?

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:42 pm

coop63 wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:

If you had his address, would you promise to write to him, every three minutes, instead of here?[/quot

I appreciate Sallian irritates (me included sometimes) but you can always just ignore him. :wink:

The last guy who ignored me ended up sectioned under chapter 7 of the Mental Health Act 1972, he is now on anti-depressants and has courses of CBT at a walk-in clinic.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:52 pm

sallian wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:

No because he might have me sectioned.

Can someone provide a chainsaw?

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:10 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:
gerryhatrick wrote:
sallian wrote:

No because he might have me sectioned.

Can someone provide a chainsaw?

This is manipulative editing, this is what the BBC, Sky, Fox, CNN, ABC, CBS and ITV do....This is disinformation, misinformation.... this is outrageous, I might have to call for an official inquiry....I want Walsall to leave the EU and the UK

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:19 am

coop63 wrote:

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:The most pressing issue for me today is the fact I have blocked Sallian yet people still feel the need to quote his inane drivel. A match thread that is 8 pages long reduces to 4 when you have him blocked. Please stop feeding the troll and if you do, do not hit 'quote'! After a tough defeat I just can't face it.

Just to clear things up :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Wigan had a lot of quality on the pitch and I think they deserved the win, looking back.

They threatened more than we did and could have scored another couple.

Really disappointed with the way we're dropping off - we didn't strengthen from a position of strength, and we're paying the price. We're no longer keeping clean sheets and no longer averaging 2 goals a game - both key elements in promotion teams.

In terms of strengthening, it's tough, but there are areas of the team that could and should be strengthened:

1) Left back. Andy Taylor is a liability, he lacks a yard of pace that gets him in to trouble a lot of the time. I can understand SOD not risking Rico at left back who can be outmuscled, so bring someone in.

2) Centre mid. Mantom's goal was a screamer, BUT, he offered very little apart from that over the whole 90 minutes. He had a purple patch just after the goal, but the game is 90 minutes long, not 10 minutes long. We really miss George Evans' drive and energy in midfield, and he provided it from the first minute to the last.

3) Upfront. I'm going to say something controversial. I don't think Bradshaw is bringing enough to this team. IMO he's lost a yard of pace on last year (perhaps to do with his hamstring problems, remember Michael Owen never being quite the same after a couple of injuries), and that yard of pace he's lost is telling. He's intelligent and brilliant at holding up the ball, but I think we need someone quicker and "trickier" - a Hiwula type. Bradshaw, if you appraise him with a critical eye, has been very easy to defend against this season, he's not go the pace or trickery to beat a man, so as long as you hold him up, mark him tightly, and watch his movement off the ball, he wont threaten.

Finally, a word for Anthony Forde who was my MOTM, possibly his best game in a Walsall shirt. Having said that, I wouldn't have him in the team at the moment - with Lalkovic (who likes to hug the touchline and run the channels, and looks overweight btw) on the left, we look unbalanced with Forde on the right (who prefers to cut inside and doesn't make runs in to the channels).

Having Morris and Lalkovic give a much more balanced feel to the team, with pace a trickery on both wings.

Massive game at Burton now, must not lose.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:07 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
3) Upfront. I'm going to say something controversial. I don't think Bradshaw is bringing enough to this team. IMO he's lost a yard of pace on last year (perhaps to do with his hamstring problems, remember Michael Owen never being quite the same after a couple of injuries), and that yard of pace he's lost is telling. He's intelligent and brilliant at holding up the ball, but I think we need someone quicker and "trickier" - a Hiwula type. Bradshaw, if you appraise him with a critical eye, has been very easy to defend against this season, he's not go the pace or trickery to beat a man, so as long as you hold him up, mark him tightly, and watch his movement off the ball, he wont threaten.

I dont think Bradshaw has played well for a number of weeks, however the service he is receiving is abysmal. Long balls where he just gets mullered in the air.

He is battered after 65 mins from chasing the ball all game.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:18 pm

latviancheese wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

I dont think Bradshaw has played well for a number of weeks, however the service he is receiving is abysmal. Long balls where he just gets mullered in the air.

He is battered after 65 mins from chasing the ball all game.

He looks done in for the season, gotta take its toll playing his role when...

A) he's not a big lad as it is, put on some timber granted but not massively tall.
B) he picks up knocks very easily

Needs support cos there's no denying he's a top class striker who we are lucky to have

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:20 pm

just to put things into perspective
5 goal attempts 15
3 on target 4
7 corners 1
57 % 43

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:44 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Upfront. I'm going to say something controversial. I don't think Bradshaw is bringing enough to this team. IMO he's lost a yard of pace on last year (perhaps to do with his hamstring problems, remember Michael Owen never being quite the same after a couple of injuries), and that yard of pace he's lost is telling. He's intelligent and brilliant at holding up the ball, but I think we need someone quicker and "trickier" - a Hiwula type. Bradshaw, if you appraise him with a critical eye, has been very easy to defend against this season, he's not go the pace or trickery to beat a man, so as long as you hold him up, mark him tightly, and watch his movement off the ball, he wont threaten.

I certainly think you've got a point, but at the same time, I think you have to acknowledge the fact that that's what you get with strikers like Bradshaw - who are essentially way better inside the box than they are outside. That being said, when his next nearest teammate is now about 10 yards further away than he would have been under Smith, you start to see where the problems stem from.

One of the things I'd say not enough is being made of is how little pressure there is on some of the first team. I'm not knocking anyone's attitude here, but Bradshaw, Mantom, and Downing in particular know they'll play even if they're about 70 per cent fit. Or to put things differently, they have to play even if they're about 70 per cent fit as the next best option isn't really up to scratch. Now we're reaching the business end of the season, those players will get tired, they will be carrying knocks, and they will need to have a rest from time to time. Two loan signings could make all the difference in terms of keeping the squad sharp, whether they walk straight into the team or not.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:01 pm

chunkster wrote:just to put things into perspective
5 goal attempts 15
3 on target 4
7 corners 1
57 % 43

Aye Wigan were decent but most of their shots were long range (of course two went in).

Can't remember Etheridge actually making many saves nor much action in the 6 yard box.

They look to have enough about them now to get out of this division but tbh I thought the likes of Bristol City and Wolves in recent seasons were miles better than this Wigan team. Will need a lot of investment next year to be competitive in the championship especially with Grigg being their main striker.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
5 goal attempts 15
3 on target 4
7 corners 1
57 % 43

Aye Wigan were decent but most of their shots were long range (of course two went in).

Can't remember Etheridge actually making many saves nor much action in the 6 yard box.

They look to have enough about them now to get out of this division but tbh I thought the likes of Bristol City and Wolves in recent seasons were miles better than this Wigan team. Will need a lot of investment next year to be competitive in the championship especially with Grigg being their main striker.
very good point. i thought bristol alone would have walked over wigan. and look how they have struggled this season. just as another point. does anyone know why chris smalling was at the match on saturday? i saw him having pics with walsall fans outside the ticket office?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:46 am

chunkster wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
5 goal attempts 15
3 on target 4
7 corners 1
57 % 43

very good point. i thought bristol alone would have walked over wigan. and look how they have struggled this season. just as another point. does anyone know why chris smalling was at the match on saturday? i saw him having pics with walsall fans outside the ticket office?

Hes good mates with Etheridge I believe.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:08 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Upfront. I'm going to say something controversial. I don't think Bradshaw is bringing enough to this team. IMO he's lost a yard of pace on last year (perhaps to do with his hamstring problems, remember Michael Owen never being quite the same after a couple of injuries), and that yard of pace he's lost is telling. He's intelligent and brilliant at holding up the ball, but I think we need someone quicker and "trickier" - a Hiwula type. Bradshaw, if you appraise him with a critical eye, has been very easy to defend against this season, he's not go the pace or trickery to beat a man, so as long as you hold him up, mark him tightly, and watch his movement off the ball, he wont threaten.

I certainly think you've got a point, but at the same time, I think you have to acknowledge the fact that that's what you get with strikers like Bradshaw - who are essentially way better inside the box than they are outside. That being said, when his next nearest teammate is now about 10 yards further away than he would have been under Smith, you start to see where the problems stem from.

I just think he's not the player he was when he joined us, he's no longer chasing down people and threatening with his pace. I remember reading once that once Owen started getting these hamstring problems, he was told to never run at full pelt again.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:38 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I just think he's not the player he was when he joined us, he's no longer chasing down people and threatening with his pace. I remember reading once that once Owen started getting these hamstring problems, he was told to never run at full pelt again.

Agree with Phil on this one, we certainly need a little more out of Bradshaw. Yes he does a lot of Donkey work but lately when he does get space there has been little end product. Crewe was a perfect example he had acres of space at times first half yet the damage was minimal.

Don't get me wrong I rate Bradshaw highly but there is a case for him to up his game.

WFC Steve

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:03 pm

Some of the problem with Bradshaw of late is the lack of support/gap between him and the midfield. With the likes of JD, Rico, Evans etc all pushing higher up the pitch earlier in the season, Tom was having a lot more joy as the gaps and mistakes were appearing.

Playing AT at full back and Chambers just in front reduces our threat coming forward, which IMO is why we should revert to 3 at the back or put Rico back in. Lets hope that SOD has a change of view - the teams that he has set up over the last couple of weeks have not addressed the issue.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Well the team he selected at Crewe did the job...well until it came to putting the ball in the net!! Simple chance after simple chance not put away!! It seems to me that above all else we need another goal scoring forward...I see George Wareing has gone to Oxford. A player like him would do us a lot of good...the fact is whoever plays we simply don't have enough goal power.
I also agree we are missing Evans and an attacking midfielder would be useful . Lets hope that the ambition spoken about at the recent fans forum can be translated into action.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season