Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (H) League One, 20th Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Re: Wigan Athletic (H) League One, 20th Feb 3pm

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:19 pm

No excuses wigan apart from a 20 min spell after manton's gret goal to level it were afar better team than us.
First half poor no idea ,no fight , no shots and wigan could have been 5 up if they took chances simalar to us against millwall and crewe.
This game showed why auto promotion is only a dream and why we will struggle to stay in play off places unless we start winning again starting at burton, the spirit that won us games such as gillingham seems to have gone.
My big fear is that we will blow up like tranmere a couple of seasons ago , top after new year and still missed out on play offs followed by big slide to non league.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:28 pm

Bloomin heck REEDSWOOD are you AM in disguise?

cat3

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:35 pm

Leatherman wrote:
Guest wrote:
Leatherman wrote:
cat3 wrote:Well the cat is back again! From the score of this game, all I can conclude was we played dandy of a match! Wigan is a fast pace team, keeping up with them wasn't easy! We played a bit slow was key factor of not giving away the tempo of our game!

Anyhow, we lost, but it was a good contest! Deano gave us a good 3 years, our team then was weak but not crap; he constructed a fine team which got the lads played with compassion and the town was inspired as a whole in the community. The kids enjoyed and we are on a roll!

After a few ties and lost with Deano apart moving forward to Brentford on his challenge and brighter fortune, he didn't just went leaving the team with despair; he knew our team will easily win the league or with automatic promotion! No manager of quality will leave a good team he constructed and left departed to scrap by itself; he certainly knew our lads can easily beat everyone in our league one. So guys and gals, don't harden yourself all the time, look on the bright side for a change. A few games off and we got so negative, come on, get together and brighten with a smile for a change. SOD is doing fine, trying a few things different won't put an amazing team beaten, the fans need to gather up and maintain that believe. With hope, we shall overcome all obstacles; with believe, we shall might the title!

Believe your team, and believe in yourself!

BTW: if you are good in football, look in our league one table, who is of real challenge? No one really! The best is probably Wigan and Coventry City and the rest are not of a big threat at all; not even Albion or Gillingham!

Alas, Go Saddlers!

Auto translators are rubish ay they? Still, it made me smile.

Allow me to summarise.

Cat3 still thinks we will finish top, and was trying to inject a more positive feng shui.

I like his style.
Unlike me, who is sat sitting here half way down my third bottle of booze looking at one of those Chinese New Year good luck cats with the waving arm - gift from my family who think they have a sense of humour.

I am not over confident that this will work. Should I send it to SOD?

P.S. It's not a proper one as it came from B&M.

Leather man: You need a change of life to start, don't waste a second then! Your family probably want you to change but you got no will power; time to ditch the booze from regularity beverage drink and move to something rather less alcoholic. You should drink only festively for a reason and leisurely on a small scale. You will see a new change in 3 months time just looking in the mirror.

That lucky cat waving at you is telling you to get a move on and change your life around before too late. Hey, I ain't your mother nor your wife, but living by sipping 6 cans of Booz a day ain't healthy. You already had 3 now!

SOD is fine, the Wigan is a test for the lads, probably the toughest challenge in this league. The rest of the games should not be of much problem at all! If the lads want to throw the game away on a bet they could, but I think they all want to win badly. We only get to live once, so we should test ourselves to the limit!

Go Saddler!

cat3

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
cat3 wrote:Who cares what race we are, we are supporting the same team that meant dearly to us. It's your way of life or tradition or your dad or family brought you there to see the first game to be a supporter. Whatever the reason, we are here to spill out the rights and wrongs and expectations of the team we care for.

Just stay optimistic and don't be a downer, only losers are downers. Capping on someone to make himself shine in light, it's really a shame to see that happening still. It's 2016, don't stay rotten, but think positive while we are all still alive and well. If fallen, hey man, the world ain't over until it's over, so don't stay pathetic and find a way to live up your dream. Like I said over and over again, we are not always going to stay in league one, someday when an opportunity arise, we will move up to play with the big boys in Premiership. If Bournmouth can do it, we certainly can dream on the possibility!

Glad to see you back, Think it must be a few years since you last posted?

Perhaps Per Sterner will pop again at some point.

Hullsaddler: I'm glad to see you mate; let's hope our team will continue to strive to excellence! That's what we all are hoping for! You are funny with Per Sterner comment there! We got a bunch of lads here who can fire guns and canons literally to spice up the forum. I am just happy the community is back with a more positive spirit for a change; let's hope all lads stay that way!

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:56 pm

What with... A totally inept Manager. Clueless. Check his CV. Sack - Sack - Sack and was told to leave by the Pool. Oh well we spent our money from last season on him. Too old and no ambition but looks forward to proving our club lacks ambition. Very positive news!!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:01 pm

Firstly, the best team won. I know it is a cheap dig at Grigg but thank God they didn't have a decent striker to finish off the chances they created.

This team has done us proud so far this season and I am loathe to be too critical but my overiding emotion on leaving the ground was that it was a bit of cowardly performance. We just didn't turn up, weren't on our toes at all, and didn't seem to believe in our own ability until we got a Worldy goal out of nothing. Ok so we did well after the goal but by then we were lucky to still be in the game and if we had have taken anything it would have been harsh on Wigan.

Too many players just didn't turn up and it is worrying. The attacking instincts seem to have gone and it is to the detriment of the likes of Sawyers and Bradshaw who are struggling to look like the payers they have done up to Christmas. I was delighted with SOD's appointment but as time goes on he just seems a bit of a wet fart, and from the outside he seems to have taken that attacking swagger backwards plus I also wonder if he can motivate a team.

Player wise, Forde was head and shoulders MOTM as he was the only player to play well for the whole 90 minutes. Demetriou grew into it and he combined well with Forde, Chambers did all he could to drive us on and there were honest efforts from the defence. Mantom was invisible until his goal - i've mentioned his invisible man routine on another thread, Lalko looked out of his depth until we scored and Sawyers and Bradshaw were quiet. I also question Etheridge for both goals - the first was a good hit but looked stoppable and he seemed to go down slow for the second - but i'll reserve judgement until i've seen them again.

The form is worrying and needs to be turned now or else I can see us being the team with rubbish form who hits the play offs and barely competes.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:07 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Just for you Sallian Walsall did radical stuff like shooting regularly from 25 yards today.

Still lost the game though.

Well good, I hope some more of them go in, they have more shots and more early balls forward...Under Smith I would've expected a win for this game....but I guess SOD is still finding his feet

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:12 pm

i've been back a few hours now. just couldn't bring myself to post till now :( we really wasn't at the races first half. in fact i think mantom's goal was our first shot on target.i thought etheridge could have done better with both goals. i think we have regressed under so'd. i also think that we MAY get into the playoffs if we start to win some matches. we will not get automatic promotion. i just feel deflated at the minute. i felt like someone had kicked me in the gut when that last goal went in :( maybe i will feel different in the morning

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Not quite WALSALLONE but like AM and others who have followed for 50 plus years have seen it all before give us hope and then start our fight against promotion. I thought this was our season until SOD came and it looks like he is trying hard to blow it.
I am ready and willing to eat humble pie when we go up but I find it ironic when our season ticket sales slogan is #believe when the manager does not.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:25 pm

TWM1962 wrote:What with... A totally inept Manager. Clueless. Check his CV. Sack - Sack - Sack and was told to leave by the Pool. Oh well we spent our money from last season on him. Too old and no ambition but looks forward to proving our club lacks ambition. Very positive news!!

What I've been saying all along, but hey I'm just a moaning old git, so my opinion dow matter.
He is boring, talentless, has no idea of motivation, has no idea whatsoever about subs (and we thought Deano was bad! :( ) and has dumbed down our talented squad into 'also ran's' that will now struggle to stay in the play off places. Bonser should bite the bullet NOW, get rid whilst we still have an outside chance, the players obviously ain't happy, and it shows.
We HAVE to start winning matches again, otherwise weem buggered.

I'm better now that I've stopped taking the tablets, bit more like an AM post than of late eh? :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:The main difference between Wigan and Walsall is they have invested and improved their squad in January and we haven't.

And here was me thinking the main difference is something about the money we have to splash around compared to the money they have to splash around.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
TWM1962 wrote:What with... A totally inept Manager. Clueless. Check his CV. Sack - Sack - Sack and was told to leave by the Pool. Oh well we spent our money from last season on him. Too old and no ambition but looks forward to proving our club lacks ambition. Very positive news!!

What I've been saying all along, but hey I'm just a moaning old git, so my opinion dow matter.
He is boring, talentless, has no idea of motivation, has no idea whatsoever about subs (and we thought Deano was bad! :( ) and has dumbed down our talented squad into 'also ran's' that will now struggle to stay in the play off places. Bonser should bite the bullet NOW, get rid whilst we still have an outside chance, the players obviously ain't happy, and it shows.

I'm better now that I've stopped taking the tablets, bit more like an AM post than of late eh? :mrgreen:

I think he might read these posts and get more depressed and miserable........I think we should encourage him, he is experienced and obviously knows a lot...and to be fair he sounds a lot more honest than Dean Smith and he says many more sensible things.

He also was onto something about the subtle combination of things that makes a team like Walsall achieve, as we lack some of the normal things....and that is not easy at all to maintain.

It aint easy when you can't spend a penny.....and we have run into a few things that were inevitable anyway and even Dean Smith may not have overcome (which may have been part motivation for his exit decision):-

1) Teams know our team well now

2) Our team is not physical, and that is more of an issue in the Winter period

3) Our squad is of small number and injuries and tiredness were going to take its toll

4) We were always lacking in goals and in need of a striker anyway and our main striker and play-makers are being marked out of games

It is a bit too easy to blame all on SOD.... Sometimes it seems his dour persona have rubbed off on team spirit...but in reality that is just speculation....at least he doesn't over-react to defeats...but maybe he under-reacts!

Regardless of what happens this season, I still think he maybe okay....he might be better than Smith in the long run, you never know.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:08 pm

sallian wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

I think he might read these posts and get more depressed and miserable........I think we should encourage him, he is experienced and obviously knows a lot...and to be fair he sounds a lot more honest than Dean Smith and he says many more sensible things.

He also was onto something about the subtle combination of things that makes a team like Walsall achieve, as we lack some of the normal things....and that is not easy at all to maintain.

It aint easy when you can't spend a penny.....and we have run into a few things that were inevitable anyway and even Dean Smith may not have overcome (which may have been part motivation for his exit decision):-

3) Our squad is of small number and injuries and tiredness were going to take its toll

4) We were always lacking in goals and in need of a striker anyway and our main striker and play-makers are being marked out of games

It is a bit too easy to blame all on SOD.... Sometimes it seems his dour persona have rubbed off on team spirit...but in reality that is just speculation....at least he doesn't over-react to defeats...but maybe he under-reacts!

Regardless of what happens this season, I still think he maybe okay....he might be better than Smith in the long run, you never know.

Under Smith and whilst not perfect, as football never is (like life eh?) we had a team ethic and spirit developing that had begun to create a genuine and mutual relationship with the fans... Unfortunately Mr O'D seems to be systematically dismantling this for whatever reason and although I'm inclined to accept he knows what hes doing most of the time in terms of footballing nouse I can't help but feel he's ripping the heart out of the unit that was built prior to his arrival..

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:20 pm

I agree. Take the positives SOD. We played some outstanding stuff. Every week!! Still if you lose it's points zéro. Please learn by your mistakes. I will miss the vile next season. Thank you...

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:21 pm

coop63 wrote:
sallian wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Under Smith and whilst not perfect, as football never is (like life eh?) we had a team ethic and spirit developing that had begun to create a genuine and mutual relationship with the fans... Unfortunately Mr O'D seems to be systematically dismantling this for whatever reason and although I'm inclined to accept he knows what hes doing most of the time in terms of footballing nouse I can't help but feel he's ripping the heart out of the unit that was built prior to his arrival..

I and I think many others get that same impression, but I think it maybe hasty judgement and we shouldn't make it become a reality by creating an atmosphere of negativity around him. It only takes one piece of a jigsaw puzzle missing to lose a match, not score a couple of goals etc.... Our dip in form can have and probably does have various causes, not all of which are the managers fault.... Players often miss chances and fail to make passes that they should, and even the manager comments on it....and those missed passes and chances over a few weeks can be the difference between being 1st and 4th... And when you win it drives you forward and when you lose and fail to score it makes you nervous and encourages the opposition

I think the whole thing of success involves so many variables, it is all a lot more complex than we can calculate....

However it would help if players had a few simple things permanently drilled into their collective mind....which would likely improve things all the time...such as:-

1) Early breaks
2) Early shots
3) Early crosses
4) Populating the penalty box
5) Running into space
6) Passing into space
7) SCORE AS MANY AS POSSIBLE ALL THE TIME AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE
8) DON'T OVER-COMPLICATE WHAT IS BETTER DONE SIMPLY

To be fair, SOD has said several things which some of us have been crying out for....so am pleased that at least he sees the obvious flaws that existed for a long time

If the theory is correct then we should really stick to the theory and eventually the improvements have to come

He in fact talks more sense than any manager at Walsall I have heard I think....but as we know, intelligence is not always the key to success as we live in world full of idiots who elevate idiocy!

SWS1

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Oh, bo llocks to everything.
:(

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Whitters wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:The main difference between Wigan and Walsall is they have invested and improved their squad in January and we haven't.

And here was me thinking the main difference is something about the money we have to splash around compared to the money they have to splash around.

I don't mean we have to splash cash like they have done. I mean they have brought in reinforcements to their squad and we have not, they invested into improving and we didn't.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:59 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I don't mean we have to splash cash like they have done. I mean they have brought in reinforcements to their squad and we have not, they invested into improving and we didn't.
and it showed today :(

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:28 pm

chunkster wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:
Whitters wrote:

and it showed today :(

Morsey was Chesterfield's best player and Wigan got him cheap at around £200,000-250,000 as his contract was up in the summer.
Could you honestly see us getting someone in his class to improve our squad?
I don't like it, you don't like it but it's difficult to compete against the Wigans of this world and sometimes their financial strength will be reflected on the pitch.
I see a billionaire has bought Bristol Rovers.
Where are these people when we need them?

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 pm

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:36 pm

Etheridge had no chance at all for the first goal.

He did seem to delay into diving for the second however, might've been unsighted.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:20 am

The most pressing issue for me today is the fact I have blocked Sallian yet people still feel the need to quote his inane drivel. A match thread that is 8 pages long reduces to 4 when you have him blocked. Please stop feeding the troll and if you do, do not hit 'quote'! After a tough defeat I just can't face it.

Right on to the actual football.

This Rico Henry issue is alarming. We have a player at Walsall FC that is being touted as a future England player and our manager is omitting him from the squad!? I echo other posters sentiments, something is not right; how many times is a 'failed fitness test' used as a smoke screen?

At the moment there is a lot of overreaction. Every club has had a major blip, Burton slipped down to 5th or 6th in the table after we beat them and many thought their bubble had burst - but they have come back extremely strongly! Gillingham continually have bad results against lower placed opposition but they keep bouncing back. Coventry have been on a rotten run then smash 6 past Bury. I agree that some spark has been lost, whether that is fatigue in a wafer thin squad, who knows. But for Christ's sake lets roar the guys on at Burton because all is far from lost - lets not let that spark die on the terraces yet, this has still been an amazing season during which Walsall FC has done rather well considering...

I have enjoyed this season more than any in the last decade regardless of what happens & we have shown up some much bigger Clubs along the way, yes it is concerning and we all want to do well and not let this slip away - but I do wonder if some people really enjoy following football any more the amount of moaning and overreaction that goes on. I mean has somebody really mentioned dropping into non-league one here!?? I've said it so many times on this board; get a grip!!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:44 am

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:The most pressing issue for me today is the fact I have blocked Sallian yet people still feel the need to quote his inane drivel. A match thread that is 8 pages long reduces to 4 when you have him blocked. Please stop feeding the troll and if you do, do not hit 'quote'! After a tough defeat I just can't face it.

This Rico Henry issue is alarming. We have a player at Walsall FC that is being touted as a future England player and our manager is omitting him from the squad!? I echo other posters sentiments, something is not right; how many times is a 'failed fitness test' used as a smoke screen?

At the moment there is a lot of overreaction. Every club has had a major blip, Burton slipped down to 5th or 6th in the table after we beat them and many thought their bubble had burst - but they have come back extremely strongly! Gillingham continually have bad results against lower placed opposition but they keep bouncing back. Coventry have been on a rotten run then smash 6 past Bury. I agree that some spark has been lost, whether that is fatigue in a wafer thin squad, who knows. But for Christ's sake lets roar the guys on at Burton because all is far from lost - lets not let that spark die on the terraces yet, this has still been an amazing season during which Walsall FC has done rather well considering...

I have enjoyed this season more than any in the last decade regardless of what happens & we have shown up some much bigger Clubs along the way, yes it is concerning and we all want to do well and not let this slip away - but I do wonder if some people really enjoy following football any more the amount of moaning and overreaction that goes on. I mean has somebody really mentioned dropping into non-league one here!?? I've said it so many times on this board; get a grip!!

You blocked me like a sissy, but keep on mentioning me....maybe see a psychologist (or psychiatrist eventually) for your inadequacy and inferiority issues.

UTS Legend

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:57 am

sallian wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:The most pressing issue for me today is the fact I have blocked Sallian yet people still feel the need to quote his inane drivel. A match thread that is 8 pages long reduces to 4 when you have him blocked. Please stop feeding the troll and if you do, do not hit 'quote'! After a tough defeat I just can't face it.

You blocked me like a sissy, but keep on mentioning me....maybe see a psychologist (or psychiatrist eventually) for your inadequacy and inferiority issues.

It's no good, Sallian, he can't read your comment. Oops!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:28 am

Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:

Well done, I might send his boss a free set of Sallian T-Shirts...that all staff are obliged to wear....he might ask his boss if he can wear it inside out....his boss permits him to make allowance for his mental issues....then the girl he fancies at work says "I don't wanna date an idiot who doesn't know how to put his T-shirt on properly!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i know he claims not to read them...but he might be reading under a different name and then biting himself over it.....it's also a convenient way to avoid confronting the truth..........LONG LIVE THE TRIUMPH OF OPEN MINDED POSTERS OVER THE SISSY BLOCKERS :lol: :lol: :lol:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:19 am

Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:

:mrgreen:

Thing is Funk, if you make reference to someone's post, it makes sense to quote them. I have never blocked anyone but I imagine that the thread becomes a little disjointed with parts missing?

Salian might write mainly bollocks, however, if everyone agreed about everything the site wouldn't be worth visiting.

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:28 am

My concerns now is that our team seem tired, we have the lowest number of players and at the start of the season, when we went down one nil, we still created chances and had opportunities. Against Wigan, apart from the Mantom goal which could have gone anywhere we struggled to create chances. We looked tired, jaded and devoid of any real threat, Sawyers when man marked is ineffective, seen that 3 or 4 times this season, we then seem incapable of changing the process, we seem to be stuck in a 4-4-2 formation where the 3-5-1-1 was so much better
I hope that SOD is waiting for the 90 day rule which should mean some reinforcements will be arriving shortly, if not I think we will struggle to keep our play off place.

Titch

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 am

I often make comparisons to 98/99.
After losing 2-1 at home to Wigan (They scored a late winner then too, which possibly started my hatred for conceding late goals), we went on to win 11, draw 3 and lose 4. If we did the same this season, we would finish on 92 points.
So far we have drew 1 and lost 2.
I think winning 9 or 10 then a couple of draws would be enough.
Just sort out the home form ;)

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:53 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:

Thing is Funk, if you make reference to someone's post, it makes sense to quote them. I have never blocked anyone but I imagine that the thread becomes a little disjointed with parts missing?

Salian might write mainly bollocks, however, if everyone agreed about everything the site wouldn't be worth visiting.

You need to have an adult mentality hewn in the real world of social interaction with human beings to reach that conclusion....(apart from the Sallian mainly bolllloooockkks part!)

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 am

sallian wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:

You need to have an adult mentality hewn in the real world of social interaction with human beings to reach that conclusion....(apart from the Sallian mainly bolllloooockkks part!)

:wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season