Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (A) League One, 13th Feb, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Re: Crewe Alexandra (A) League One, 13th Feb, 3pm

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:26 pm

IHTC. wrote:Just seen the highlights and I do not understand why people are concerned about SOD, it appears we totally dominated and if the players had had their shooting boots on and their keeper was not on top of his game we would have won easily. I could understand it if we played poorly and created nothing but we didn't by the looks of things.

2 things I do not get though is why leave substitutions so late? What does he expect them to achieve in 6 minutes? It takes them that long to get up to speed with the game. And secondly why leave Henry on the bench, Taylor or Henry? It's a no brainer.

Look at the league table.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:27 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
saddla wrote:There's a fair few who will return to work on Monday morning to their factory/office/shop/pub/dustcart convinced that they are much better football managers than the guy who's paid to do the job at Walsall. Such a shame that you can't get a UEFA coaching badge for your exploits on Championship Manager. :roll:

Since you like your statistics, can you confirm if you have just returned from the shortest-ever UTS "holiday". :roll:

:lol:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:30 pm

saddla wrote:
tinned wrote:
saddla wrote:There's a fair few who will return to work on Monday morning to their factory/office/shop/pub/dustcart convinced that they are much better football managers than the guy who's paid to do the job at Walsall. Such a shame that you can't get a UEFA coaching badge for your exploits on Championship Manager. :roll:

And how's that any different to the last 100 odd years (apart from the Championship Manager bit)?

The difference now is that the fans are given a keyboard and access to spout their piffle to the whole world.

Presumably you're including yourself in that remark?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 pm

tinned wrote:We're way too interested in building intricate patterns in our build up play rather than create and take chances. Every attack has to have dozens of passes, many of them including Sawyers, before we decide to have a crack. As others have said, Sawyers is now slowing down our play. He's an ultra talented lad but he needs to return using his skills to help our attacks, not hinder them with fancy play.

It's all and well the forever optimists of this world bleating on about performances but unless something changes we will miss out on promotion whilst raving about how well we played. Sometimes it seems some people cannot (or refuse to) see when things are on the slide unless changes are quickly made.

Oh yeah, it appears O'Driscoll ahs inherited Smith's in game clock, trouble is it's currently ten minutes slow.

Someone should hand him a watch, or at least a watch with hands.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:36 pm

Steve McClaren has more badges than a Scout club leader and he's shite. What's you point?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Optimistic wrote:I must admit I did not go today as I was working. However, I read through the thread until I got to the highlights and quite frankly I think that was more informative than the posters as it was a couple of moments from Crewe plus some excellent saves which their keeper made.

The rest of the highlights were basically all quality play from the Saddlers, some very good shots and some skill from Sawyers which we will not see from another Saddlers player for quite a while. The long ball he threaded through was sheer class.

We should have scored more, there is no doubt about that, but their goal scorer has now got 6 in 6. Burton are now clear at the top after a 1 - 0 win and I don't see them scoring bucket fulls of goals. Wigan couldn't even score for all the money and players they have. Coventry scored 6 but not against us or Burton.

There will be plenty more twists and turns in the league before the end and we are still in the mix for automatic promotion. If you do not believe me then tell me who else but Burton are consistent. The picture may look different after the next 2 games but which way will they go.

How come they are so good when they have such poor resources and ( according to some on here) a shite manager?

PS forgot to mention only one man and his footing dog turn up every now and again. Not like us who can continually foil our ground every fooling Saturday.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:43 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:There are a number of posters saying we should have been 3 or 4 up then blaming SOD for the performance....

Engage your brains before your typing fingers ffs :shock:

I was one of the very few to remain constantly in the Smith IN group (Which felt like it ended up being just you and me at times.

Ahem...I think you'll find there were a few more of us that stuck by him through thick and thin. I will also give SOD the same respect although I am slightly concerned based on recent happenings. Hopefully he and the players will sort it out.

Reading some of the posts tonight, I thought I'd logged on to the Bury fans forum :D

SMITHBACKIN

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:50 pm

IHTC. wrote:Just seen the highlights and I do not understand why people are concerned about SOD, it appears we totally dominated and if the players had had their shooting boots on and their keeper was not on top of his game we would have won easily. I could understand it if we played poorly and created nothing but we didn't by the looks of things.

2 things I do not get though is why leave substitutions so late? What does he expect them to achieve in 6 minutes? It takes them that long to get up to speed with the game. And secondly why leave Henry on the bench, Taylor or Henry? It's a no brainer.

If you'd have gone you would have seen the high-lights in context and had the opportunity of some decent fish and chips at the Gresty Rd chip shop.

I'm not concerned about SOD. I'm concerned why Bonser hasn't pulled the trigger yet. It's his fudge money that's at stake after all.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Cowshed wrote:What I loved about yesterday was sawyers Back flick
There will be kids trying it today in the parks etc he's great for getting the kids in

I love the fact that Lalkovic falls over but they are still not getting the ball off him

Keep shouting Milan because you can literally see the key turning in his back and off he goes again

I loved Taylor slipping over and then getting back up to beat the commonwealth 100m record to get back in the penalty area - priceless

Don't get promotion stress everyone - take promotion out of the equation and we are seeing some entertainment this year I'm loving it

UTS

And if Flanagan had tried that he would have been slaughtered on here.

Get a grip: Sawyers is average.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Yesterday...mantom was good too.

caldy wrote:Mantom was awful mostly and has been for a while.

Which one was it??

Just shows how people can see games and players very differently, including what their role and expectation levels in a game are.
Sawyers is the biggest example of this.

Mantom had a better game than Sayers yesterday. Even the Crwho supporter who came on Radio Oatcake said the Walsall number 8 pulled the strings. He had their goal keeper as man of the match too, although I would have given it to their number 10 who gave Demetrious a hard time and scored the equaliser.

UTS Legend

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:05 am

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Leatherman wrote:
There will be kids trying it today in the parks etc he's great for getting the kids in

I love the fact that Lalkovic falls over but they are still not getting the ball off him

Keep shouting Milan because you can literally see the key turning in his back and off he goes again

I loved Taylor slipping over and then getting back up to beat the commonwealth 100m record to get back in the penalty area - priceless

Don't get promotion stress everyone - take promotion out of the equation and we are seeing some entertainment this year I'm loving it

UTS

Get a grip: Sawyers is well above average.

I'll fix that for you :roll:

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm a massive fan of Sawyers, however he hasn't been hitting the heights he did earlier in the season, that's understandable though as he was the best player in the league by a country mile for the first part of the season. I thought Saturday was probably his best performance in the last few weeks, he was much further up the pitch and on another day he could have walked out of that game with 3 assists and a goal.

I do think the assist stat is slightly misleading, I'd say 70% of our goals Sawyers has a direct part to play, whether that be a pass to assist, winning penalties (Crewe and Burton) or creating a chance out of nothing (Donny away).

He'll probably be off in the summer, so we should just enjoy him while he's here!

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Sawyers was excellent yesterday, he was back to his best. I think what helped was he stayed up just in front of Bradshaw when we were defending so that he could counter higher up the pitch with the ball.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:29 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Leatherman wrote:

UTS

Get a grip: Sawyers is well above average.

I'll fix that for you :roll:

cheeky monkey! :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:59 pm

it looks like rochdale are being clinical :| already 2-0 up. wouldn't surprise me if they end up 6-0 i take that back its now 2-2 :oops:
bury bradford and scunny winning 1-0
well it looks like a couple of results went for us tonight
scunny beat millwall 2-0
bury beat sheff utd 1-0 and rochdale who were 2-0 up after 6 minutes managed to draw 2-2 with crewe :D

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:00 pm

chunkster wrote:it looks like rochdale are being clinical :| already 2-0 up. wouldn't surprise me if they end up 6-0 i take that back its now 2-2 :oops:
bury bradford and scunny winning 1-0
well it looks like a couple of results went for us tonight
scunny beat millwall 2-0
bury beat sheff utd 1-0 and rochdale who were 2-0 up after 6 minutes managed to draw 2-2 with crewe :D

The three games came up for us, now lets see it right Saturday.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season