Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) League One, 6 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Millwall (H) League One, 6 Feb 3pm

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Big Dave wfc wrote:Bradshaw isolated, nobody running in behind from
Midfield they are all too happy to sit.
Sort it SOD

Yes been true for a long time under Smith too

I thought SOD would see these things, as his early interviews suggested....

But now I don't know....I think he might be stuck, thinking changes are needed but choosing the wrong people

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:36 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Always going to be difficult to score when you persist in crossing it with only one player in the box!

The defending today was woeful! The first goal Forde loses the ball and they make their way down our left unchallenged. The 2nd goal similar in that the player made their way past 3 players on the left. The 3rd O'Connor takes control from a goal kick and passes to Cook who falls over and they play a ball over the top!

I guess the laurel and hardy routine from Reading game is continuing

And about the crossing to one isolated short man.....Walsall have this in their DNA it seems.......five men used to cross the ball to nobody......no midfield runners, plus take ten years to deliver the cross

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Keeping it short;

Wrong formation, why has he changed it
Not playing Milan minimises any attacking threat
Is the manager motivating or inspiring these players??? for automatic promotion you need to be motivated, I again have my doubts

Bad day at the office maybe, home form worrying, manager talking the team down too much??

Second half shocking, millwall clinical and deserved it

Need to bounce back at Crewe

stefano123
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:59 pm

O'Driscoll's tactics are the reason for our slum. Both home and away but especially at home.

One of the main reasons we did so well at the start of the season was our willingness to use attack as our best form of defence (especially at home). Lalkovic and Morris running at defenders and cutting inside, creating space for the overlap, if the ball inside or shot wasn't on, was key to bringing Rico and JD into the game in dangerous areas. Sawyers thrived on the space in the middle of the park that was created by the width and menace down flanks. Crucially our two outstanding attacking fullbacks - who were the key to how we played - created overloads down both the left and right side of the pitch. Because of this our attacks usually had an end product (goal, goal kick or corner etc.) meaning we'd have time to return to a defensive shape.

Now, for some unknown reason, SoD has decided the team selection, tactics and formation, which served us so well under DS, needed to be changed. Under SoD when we are in advanced positions we neither have the personnel, the invention or space to press the other team and our attacks are easily defended (providing the other team's shape is solid (and at this level it usually is). This means play often breaks down, around the oppositions box, without an end product (thus the ball is still in play) and the other team need to make only two or three passes to bypass most of our team who are still in advanced positions. This has happened today and on a number of occasions recently. Ironically, his desire to be more solid (hence his inclusion of Taylor and Forde) and less predictable has meant we are both more susceptible to the fast break and less well equipped to produce an end product.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:08 pm

4-0 last week 7 days later 3-0 with this starting 11 it doesn't work.

Two defenders on the left hand side? For me it was no surprise that the first two goals came from that area. Taylor should not be playing simple all of our best results came with Rico at left back, his pace and recovery reactions really aided the 2 centre backs. All we have now is 2 slow centre backs and a slow left back and Millwall really made them pay.

Lalkovic was on fire before SOD came through the door, he was a bit of a talisman and really got the team going with his passion and desire. Really disappointed to see that taken away.

I really don't enjoy being critical but our current form is a worry.

Also Disappointed didn't replace Evans, New signings are needed before Crewe down to you Walsall.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Credit to both sides for putting on a very good game in appalling conditions.

I thought we played better than we did on Tuesday. It's all about goals though and whereas on Tuesday we had one that went just inside the post a nice deflection, today it didn't go for us.

The key was Tom going off. Tom is virtually unique in his ability to keep an entire defence occupied. Cook isn't in the same class. Not his fault, but it felt like they had an extra man after the change.

Agree on the comments regarding Milan. Rico is a full-back. Don't ruin him as we have others. First two goals down our left today. That left hand side is our weak spot. It should be either Taylor or Rico and not both.

You get a feeling that O'Driscoll has decided who he likes and doesn't. Taylor and Forde definitely in favour.

Performance wise today was no Rochdale. In fact we played some good stuff at times. Millwall did a very good job on us. Fair play.

Hope the weather improves for next week. These last two have been unpleasant.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:29 pm

I thought we played better in the first half than we have for weeks. Considering the conditions we were excellent but goals change matches and we didn't score whilst we were playing well. After Millwall's goal we went chasing the game and as a result conceded 2 more.
We certainly need help up front and I think the club are trying to bring some one in...the sooner the better for me.
Anyway on to Crewe next week which hasn't been the happiest ground for us recently.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:49 pm

PT wrote:The key was Tom going off. Tom is virtually unique in his ability to keep an entire defence occupied. Cook isn't in the same class. Not his fault, but it felt like they had an extra man after the change.

Great point well made.

You could leave Cook completely unattended in fairness and as a defence you wouldn't be taking a huge risk...which means they'd have 2-4 men up on us when applied to your point.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:22 pm

stefano123 wrote:O'Driscoll's tactics are the reason for our slum. Both home and away but especially at home.

One of the main reasons we did so well at the start of the season was our willingness to use attack as our best form of defence (especially at home). Lalkovic and Morris running at defenders and cutting inside, creating space for the overlap, if the ball inside or shot wasn't on, was key to bringing Rico and JD into the game in dangerous areas. Sawyers thrived on the space in the middle of the park that was created by the width and menace down flanks. Crucially our two outstanding attacking fullbacks - who were the key to how we played - created overloads down both the left and right side of the pitch. Because of this our attacks usually had an end product (goal, goal kick or corner etc.) meaning we'd have time to return to a defensive shape.

Now, for some unknown reason, SoD has decided the team selection, tactics and formation, which served us so well under DS, needed to be changed. Under SoD when we are in advanced positions we neither have the personnel, the invention or space to press the other team and our attacks are easily defended (providing the other team's shape is solid (and at this level it usually is). This means play often breaks down, around the oppositions box, without an end product (thus the ball is still in play) and the other team need to make only two or three passes to bypass most of our team who are still in advanced positions. This has happened today and on a number of occasions recently. Ironically, his desire to be more solid (hence his inclusion of Taylor and Forde) and less predictable has meant we are both more susceptible to the fast break and less well equipped to produce an end product.

Agreed...his style, tactics, selection and formation have so far been detrimental .... And am worried that his man-management and motivational skills are less than Smith's.... I want him to prove me wrong, as otherwise he does seem smarter than Smith.... But smarter in theory doesn't always turn out to be more effective or successful in practice.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:27 pm

PT wrote:
You get a feeling that O'Driscoll has decided who he likes and doesn't. Taylor and Forde definitely in favour.

Yep the formations and selections indicate that as well as a few of his post-match comments since he has been here....

I really want Lalkovic and Morris back on the pitch.........

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:36 pm

stefano123 wrote:O'Driscoll's tactics are the reason for our slum. Both home and away but especially at home.

Welcome back!!
Careful my friend, you are sailing close to the wind actually daring to accuse SOD of not being very good, the lynch mob will be after you with burning torches and pitchforks!! :lol: :lol:
His tinkering and favouritism has managed to turn a reasonable squad into an average mid table 1st Division set up.
No table toppers should be losing at home 0-3 twice in three weeks! We have Wigan & Burton before the end of February, I get the feeling we won't be 'there or thereabouts' by then.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Thought the fullback Romeo should have gone for the foul on Rico note he went on to score later

Some of the challenges on Bradshaw by Webster wouldn't have looked out of place at murrayfield

Our top players are being targeted for treatment but the refs are not protecting them

I don't think I could fault any of the players today just bad luck imo

In sod's second tranche we still have 7 points with a game to go and 2nd in the league and my favourite away a game next
Uts

realist saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Cowshed wrote:Thought the fullback Romeo should have gone for the foul on Rico note he went on to score later

Some of the challenges on Bradshaw by Webster wouldn't have looked out of place at murrayfield

Our top players are being targeted for treatment but the refs are not protecting them

In sod's second tranche we still have 7 points with a game to go and 2nd in the league and my favourite away a game next
Uts

With all respect cowshed, it was nothing to do with bad luck.

People on here say Dean smith wouldn't be honest and blame anything else , well you haven blamed bad luck , top players not been protected by refs just like Deano would.

Truth is, we were shocking 2nd half, left wing needs sorting, sod is talking us down prior to games that much we have lost before we have started

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:No table toppers should be losing at home 0-3 twice in three weeks! We have Wigan & Burton before the end of February, I get the feeling we won't be 'there or thereabouts' by then.

Spot on, how many times will it happen before they actually address it.....rather than saying 'We wont over analyze it' They flippin need to give it some analysis

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 pm

realist saddler wrote: sod is talking us down prior to games that much we have lost before we have started

Indeed, we are certainly going in the wrong direction when drawing with struggling teams is being hailed as a great achievement

He is aware that he took over when we were challenging for the top spot I hope, he needs to take another look at where we are in the table and realign his expectations

If we go into games thinking 1-0 and 1-1 is a great result we will lose

I have no confidence of winning or scoring in any game.....I expect a loss every game we play

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:55 pm

realist saddler wrote:
Cowshed wrote:Thought the fullback Romeo should have gone for the foul on Rico note he went on to score later

Uts

With all respect cowshed, it was nothing to do with bad luck.

People on here say Dean smith wouldn't be honest and blame anything else , well you haven blamed bad luck , top players not been protected by refs just like Deano would.

Truth is, we were shocking 2nd half, left wing needs sorting, sod is talking us down prior to games that much we have lost before we have started

Agree with this, so many fans posting how unlucky we were etc etc! Fact was we were poor 2nd half and some of the managers decisions were questionable to say the least. You can't lose 0-3 and claim to be unlucky.

Anyway Hopefully the fans stick behind the team and we take shed loads to Crewe, looking forward to it!

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Uts

0-3 can't be down to bad luck....more like bad tactics and team selection.... We should be beating Millwall at home, or at least drawing....certainly not getting thrashed 0-3....we are second in the table

0-3, 0-3, 0-4 is not bad luck it is bad play and bad ideas.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Thought we looked great early on in the game - should have got a goal - but as has been a problem at times this season, we don't have that cutting edge to get a goal, or if we do, then push on and kill games off. We do well because of the quality we have but it is rarely a case that we go out there, create loads of chances and win comfortably which is unusual for a team so high in the league.

Bradshaw needs more to feed off. He barely gets a sniff - especially at home - and he ends up just chasing defenders which is a shame as he's better than that. There needs to be another option, whether to play up with him or replace him when needed.

It was never a 3-0 but we need a bit more to break teams down at home. Disappointing but lets not get carried away... oh hang on, this is UTS and its probably happening already.

I was one of the few singing at the end... shame there weren't more after what they've done this season but ah well.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:21 pm

This current home form is going to cost us, unless rectified very quickly.

We all know that Sawyers and Henry are two most creative players, but does EVERY attack have to go through both of them before we muster up an shot on goal?

Our build up play is way too laboured and intricate, meaning the oppo have plenty of time to set themselves.

Whenever Bradshaw receives the ball there's no other Walsall player in the same post code area. He's got little chance of doing anything productive to hurt the opposition.

We need to spend less time congratulating each other on fancy triangles and clever passes and concentrate on hting the opposition.

Trying not to be too negative, but any denying the truth because we're still in second spot will only result in that automatic promotion spot slipping away.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 pm

For the neutral (or Millwall) fan, it was a very entertaining game played between two good teams in dreadful conditions.

Liam Roberts had a good début, making some vital saves.

Like all of our opponents, Millwall had done their homework on us and had identified the left flank of our defence as a weakness. All 3 of their goals came from attacks down their right wing. I have been a big fan of Andy Taylor but the fact remains that his form over recent weeks has become an embarrassment and he is being targeted by opposing teams. Rico Henry, who had an excellent 1st half and a totally anonymous 2nd half, should return to left back and put a midfielder with defensive qualities in front of him. I thought that the loanee, Bryn Morris, was supposed to good defensively. He must surely be due for his first game?

In midfield, Chambers, Forde, Henry and Mantom worked hard but the latter is still not back to his best form. I'm still not sure what Sawyers' rôle is. He should play a lot closer to Bradshaw who is still being left isolated ... oh, and I wish that Sawyers would at least TRY to head the ball when necessary. Six feet plus tall and he is a total wuss in the air!

I am starting to get a little (but only a little) worried about SOD's apparently rigid tactical thinking. On to our old friends from Cheshire. We are due a convincing win at Gresty Road! :D

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:31 pm

tinned wrote:This current home form is going to cost us, unless rectified very quickly.

We all know that Sawyers and Henry are two most creative players, but does EVERY attack have to go through both of them before we muster up an shot on goal?

Our build up play is way too laboured and intricate, meaning the oppo have plenty of time to set themselves.

Whenever Bradshaw receives the ball there's no other Walsall player in the same post code area. He's got little chance of doing anything productive to hurt the opposition.

We need to spend less time congratulating each other on fancy triangles and clever passes and concentrate on hting the opposition.

Trying not to be too negative, but any denying the truth because we're still in second spot will only result in that automatic promotion spot slipping away.

agreed....apart from Lalkovic being more dangerous than both of them put together, Henry should just be left in defence for his speed and to get up the flank....Sawyers mainly just switches the play and makes a through ball when conditions permit..... Lalkovic can always beat someone with speed or a trick....and he should be set free to take a lot more shots, same with Morris

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I'm still not sure what Sawyers' rôle is.

Really?... thought it was obvious.

Agree on him getting a bit further forward though.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Personally thought that today was one of those fudge when we could have played all day without fudge netting. We were by far the better team in the first 50minutes, had chances, hit the timber twice, then conceeded. Bit like the reverse at the cockney chav scum a few weeks ago when we were bloody lucky to win.

cack happens, chin up boys. At least Sallian has a lovely bright avatar so that one can avoid his pearls of wisdom easily

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:48 pm

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:58 pm

Imagine how many posts we would get from SALLION if he actually went to a match!!! I am not blaming bad luck for our defeat but in the first half we played some excellent football without reward. Indeed in the first few minutes of the second half we were also well on to but the Millwall goal changed the game . I think if we had scored first we would have won.

Perhaps the result will prompt the action we want taken....a new forward or two!!!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 am

Walsallone wrote:Imagine how many posts we would get from SALLION if he actually went to a match!!! I am not blaming bad luck for our defeat but in the first half we played some excellent football without reward. Indeed in the first few minutes of the second half we were also well on to but the Millwall goal changed the game . I think if we had scored first we would have won.

Perhaps the result will prompt the action we want taken....a new forward or two!!!

Well I went to reading, and everything I was saying held true for that game

and it is confirmed by those who attended recent matches

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:54 am

It comes to something when maximus isn't the biggest twerp on the board.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:03 am

Pedagogue wrote:For the neutral (or Millwall) fan, it was a very entertaining game played between two good teams in dreadful conditions.

Liam Roberts had a good début, making some vital saves.

Like all of our opponents, Millwall had done their homework on us and had identified the left flank of our defence as a weakness. All 3 of their goals came from attacks down their right wing. I have been a big fan of Andy Taylor but the fact remains that his form over recent weeks has become an embarrassment and he is being targeted by opposing teams. Rico Henry, who had an excellent 1st half and a totally anonymous 2nd half, should return to left back and put a midfielder with defensive qualities in front of him. I thought that the loanee, Bryn Morris, was supposed to good defensively. He must surely be due for his first game?

In midfield, Chambers, Forde, Henry and Mantom worked hard but the latter is still not back to his best form. I'm still not sure what Sawyers' rôle is. He should play a lot closer to Bradshaw who is still being left isolated ... oh, and I wish that Sawyers would at least TRY to head the ball when necessary. Six feet plus tall and he is a total wuss in the air!

I am starting to get a little (but only a little) worried about SOD's apparently rigid tactical thinking. On to our old friends from Cheshire. We are due a convincing win at Gresty Road! :D

Good stuff.

Paid the price for not taking our, admittedly half, chances before the Lions scored.

But still a decent performance given the conditions and third keeper scenario.

Win at Crewe and it doesn't matter. That would be 10 points from 5 games.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:08 am

Despite it being the same score line, this was nothing like the Rochdale defeat, in that Rochdale completely stifled us by pressing us and closing us down quickly and giving us little opportunity to play.
This was not the same as it was quite open and therefore you have to say that we weren't good enough.
I didn't think that Millwall particularly looked like a good side and that makes it more of a concern. They largely seemed content with long balls up to their strikers, which on the whole we dealt with. The odd moments of quality, however, were our undoing.
The cross in for Gregory's first goal was just about perfect.
The second goal, if we had we scored a similar one I'm sure we would be raving about it, was absolutely shocking defending from at least three players from memory.
The third goal was clinically taken by Gregory, however for him to be left in so much space was a big worry. Seeing it live my initial reaction was that I thought he was offside, but whatever, the simplicity of a lob forward leading to an easy goal was poor defending.
I don't think the conditions had a bearing on the result, as the pitch stood up well and I didn't see any evidence of players slipping or the ball not rolling normally.
Some have suggested that our squad has become depleted as being a reason behind adverse (home) results. I don't see this as we have only let Baxendale go, Osbourne has never been with us and Evans was recalled.
Yes two goalkeepers have vey recently got injured, but that's hardly a consideration in respect of outfield play.
We have supposedly replaced Evans with Bryn Morris, yet haven't played him. A depleted squad doesn't have the likes of Lalkovic and Keiron Morris on the bench in my opinion.
I think Forde is playing pretty well at the moment and I would even consider playing him centrally, but the return of Lalkovic and Morris, especially at home, is a must. I have been banging on about it for weeks.
Henry did ok wide left in the first half but he is less likely to get a shot in as Lalkovic would do and so his effectiveness is more limited. I would still play Morris (K) ahead of Forde, because although Forde does shoot, I think Morris opens the game up a bit more.
We are not taking risks around the edge of the box and so the opposition just needs to hold their line and form a barrier that we just try to pass around rather than go through.
I think we may well not have lost had we scored when we hit the woodwork, but we just did not create enough genuine chances during the game.
You could talk about the game, the formation and individual player's performances for hours, but suffice to say that if our exceptional results away from home are maintained, then we still have a chance of a successful season.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:15 am

Thought we played well yesterday and the decision to kick towards the home end at the start was the right one.
I expected to see more shots, curling crosses and generally play that worked their keeper using the weather I.e. Constant rain and a blustery wind at our backs, to our advantage.

Moving on...

I thought Henry had a good game and skinned their 27 brilliantly in the first half, only for him to get the 'reducer' treatment a few minutes later by the same player resulting in a yellow card.

I was constantly frustrated by our seemingly inability to find our own players from excellent wing work from Demitreou and Henry. Playing the ball to Bradshaw's feet when his back's to goal isn't playing to his strengths. He's a goal poacher; an opportunist not a fudge traditional Centre fudge Foward!

Having got this far, I hope we don't blow it now. We are due a sticky patch, every team in our position will go through one. It's how long it lasts and the reasons why it's happening that will be of concern.

Remember the sticky patch we had in our last promotion season when we were 10 points clear at one stage and only ended up winning the title on the last day?

It's all well and good O'Driscoll being 'honest' and telling us 'as it is'. What I, and I'm sure a few others want to know is, what he is going to do about it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season