Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (H) League One, 6 Feb 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Millwall (H) League One, 6 Feb 3pm

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Just got back in as i left early for the first time in 7 years. 3-0 probably flattered them but we were all over the place second half, again. Millwall perfectly capitalised on their spells in the game, we did not.

We play so open and its hard to justify it when you are not scoring and creating chances freely. Today was not the day for it in the pissing rain and wind. At times, we are almost asking to be hammered.

After the #ibelieve stuff on youtube this morning, the players didnt exactly believe when they went 1-0 down.

Andy Taylor is a liability these days. Henry is not effective on the wing. The subs came too late, and we are crying out for a couple of signings.

People will say okay we are still second, but to not be worried after recent home performance is sticking your heading the sand. Its not really overreacting. Thankfully we still look a force away from home.

I see Wigan won again, they will win this division at a canter. Mark my words. Not looking forward to the home game v them.

Ahh well, see you in Crewe

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:19 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:bring on our capable players in the last 14 minutes when we are 0-2 down....great plan

How about give them time when it is 0-0

players must be losing confidence now in themselves and the manager

Undecided whether the result or these simpleton dribblings have spoiled the day more.

:|

Yes well it is my simpleton analysis that the results and performances demonstrate a team that is losing quality and confidnce..... 0-3 Rochdale, 0-3 Millwall, 0-4 Reading, 1-1 Blackpool

long live simpleton analysis!

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:23 pm

The Red Prince wrote:Some major overreacting here. I am worried about the Wigan game though.

It is not just the Wigan game.....at the moment it is any game we look like losing, Wigan might beat us4,5 or 7 nil

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:24 pm

scott_powell wrote:Time to add Sallian as a foe. What an absolute fool.

People were way too confident about this one. I had us to lose comfortably.

We still have a great chance of promotion but we just need a little injection of quality to push us over the line. Our incredible away form will keep us in the mix.

We carry on!!

Agreed about sallian.
He's either a troll or incredibly thick.
Either way I wish he would do one.

The Upper singing were louder today I thought.
A silver lining to the crap result.

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:25 pm

sallian wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:bring on our capable players in the last 14 minutes when we are 0-2 down....great plan

Undecided whether the result or these simpleton dribblings have spoiled the day more.

Yes well it is my simpleton analysis that the results and performances demonstrate a team that is losing quality and confidnce..... 0-3 Rochdale, 0-3 Millwall, 0-4 Reading, 1-1 Blackpool

You need to look deeper, find the positives...

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:26 pm

Agree with earlier post - lots of overreaction to a bad day but...

1. No wins at home so far in 2016 could start to affect the players
2. As we have all said many times - squad now exposed with a few injuries - way too thin to cope with missing players..
3. Why does every player seemingly have to touch the ball before anyone shoots?
4. In probably the worst conditions we've played in for years why do we try to carry out point 3 above..
5. Admittedly we hit the bar and post before they scored
6. As soon as Tom went off you could see their whole approach change to attach us down the flanks
7. Feel very sorry for Liam in the sticks today - he made a cracking double save but got thrown into the team when kicking from the box must have been horrendous.. I know he persisted to kick to the right in the second half when the wind was blowing that direction and everything went out but let's be fair, it was nightmare conditions and his defence was poor second half!!
8. Finally, Uncle Jeff - WE NEED A STRIKER :roll: :roll:

UTS

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:28 pm

sallian wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Meaningless gibberish. Absolute non-entity. The temptation to block is almost over-powering, but it would be the first time ever.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:29 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Hmmm....don't think we were as bad as score line suggests....

However we are still second and all other teams around us are suffering results like this and it tends to be at home for some reason. We have to play Burton and all other teams around us, it's still in our hands.

Worrying. Nothing more at this stage.

I'm surprised it's taken you this long Scott! He's the only poster I've ever added as a foe.

yes because sissy can't take truthful comments so blocks his ears

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:31 pm

5 things.

Never a 3 nil, they were very lucky.
The lower tier is fudge terrible, why they built that second tier is beyond me, everyone in the lower got soaked.
Milan NEEDS to start.
We need reinforcements up front.
Millwall fans made lots of noise, but that noise was just them shouting Millwall in different melodies. I expected better tbh.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:32 pm

coop63 wrote:Agree with earlier post - lots of overreaction to a bad day but...

1. No wins at home so far in 2016 could start to affect the players
2. As we have all said many times - squad now exposed with a few injuries - way too thin to cope with missing players..
3. Why does every player seemingly have to touch the ball before anyone shoots?
4. In probably the worst conditions we've played in for years why do we try to carry out point 3 above..
5. Admittedly we hit the bar and post before they scored
6. As soon as Tom went off you could see their whole approach change to attach us down the flanks
7. Feel very sorry for Liam in the sticks today - he made a cracking double save but got thrown into the team when kicking from the box must have been horrendous.. I know he persisted to kick to the right in the second half when the wind was blowing that direction and everything went out but let's be fair, it was nightmare conditions and his defence was poor second half!!
8. Finally, Uncle Jeff - WE NEED A STRIKER :roll: :roll:

UTS

they always want to pass aimlessly instead of delivering a cross or through-ball

they never shoot early enough

they never break early enough

they never pass into space early enough

they never run into space early enough

they never take a set piece quickly

we pass until the opposition has built a wall on their goal line

then we bring on our best players when we are losing 4-0

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:32 pm

coop63 wrote:3. Why does every player seemingly have to touch the ball before anyone shoots?

Agree with this.
As much as I love the football and passing game we play it gets frustrating when we seem to get carried away and no-one wants to take the initiative to actually shoot when the opportunity presents itself.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:38 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:5 things.

The lower tier is fudge terrible, why they built that second tier is beyond me, everyone in the lower got soaked.
Milan NEEDS to start.
Millwall fans made lots of noise, but that noise was just them shouting Millwall in different melodies. I expected better tbh.

1. They weren't lucky. We were great first half but completely folded in the 2nd half and they took advantage.
2. Come and join us in the upper. Nice and dry and a good atmosphere building.
3. Milan isn't the game changer some think he is. Good but not that good.
4. Agreed. We need to get someone in especially as it looks like Bradshaw could be out for a few games.
5. The Millwall lot were silent until their first goal then started giving it the big 'un. Living off their past reputation.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:41 pm

I know Sawyers controls play well when he has possession (most of the time anyway) but why when we move the ball wide on the fringes of the opposition box do we then almost always choose to pull it back to centre field and then move it across to the other side of the pitch from where it started?? It's starting to really irritate me and when you look at their 3 goals today they were all fairly similar really and came from the single side...

We've got to be much more clinical with our attacking - we are being found out too often and as said earlier.. By the time we decide to shoot the defence is organised and in good numbers - how many times today did we shoot and it got simply blocked at the first defender??

Bloody annoying!!

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:47 pm

We also left as the third went in.Thats the worst conditions I've seen a game played in for a long time.maybe the club could consider moving the lower tier into the family stand when the rain is as bad as today. The roof offers no protection at all.Everybody got soaked! That was usually reserved for the away team's fans in the 80's.

I felt for Roberts in the second half. He did really well in the first half but should have done a lot better with the goals.
Losing Bradshaw also changed the game as Cook offers nothing at all.hopefully the injury is not too bad and he will be back for Crewe. If not we need to use the loan market urgently.

Given the conditions I thought we played some great stuff in the first half but again failed at home to capitalise on this.
If we are serious about promotion we need another couple of decent players in very soon. Let's see just how good SOD is and what contacts he has. Over to you Sean.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:49 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Milan NEEDS to start.

1. They weren't lucky. We were great first half but completely folded in the 2nd half and they took advantage.
4. Agreed. We need to get someone in especially as it looks like Bradshaw could be out for a few games.
5. The Millwall lot were silent until their first goal then started giving it the big 'un. Living off their past reputation.

They were lucky in that some of our chances seemed to conspire to not going in. Look at Milans shot, Forde's shot off the crossbar, their back pass that hit their goalkeeper who was none the wiser. That's not good defending, that's luck. Milan also just setup entire team mentality to be more on the front foot, he provides energy that is contagious. It's not he himself that makes the difference but the shape and presence of the entire team around him when he plays.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:50 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Meaningless gibberish. Absolute non-entity. The temptation to block is almost over-powering, but it would be the first time ever.

get a dictionary....go ahead and block like a little spoilt cry baby toddler

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:51 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

Milan NEEDS to start.

They were lucky in that some of our chances seemed to conspire to not going in. Look at Milans shot, Forde's shot off the crossbar, their back pass that hit their goalkeeper who was none the wiser. That's not good defending, that's luck. Milan also just setup entire team mentality to be more on the front foot, he provides energy that is contagious. It's not he himself that makes the difference but the shape and presence of the entire team around him when he plays.

most concerning that the manager does not recognize the impact and qualities of Lalkovic, especially when needed

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Very strange game where considering the weather I thought we played ok without creating a clear cut effort especially in the first half with Forde and Dem causing problems. Our heads visibly dropped when Bradders went off but still could not see Millwall scoring and had 0-0 written all over it, how wrong was I?

Strange thing for me was the substitutions, why put Forde in the middle of the park and stick Sawyers upfront? Surely Forde on the Right, and Morris on the left (or vise versa), Milan upfront, Sawyers stays where he was and Henry drops back, baffling.

Last few seasons our home form has been poor to say the least but this season it was better until Rochdale, Blackpool and now Millwall have visited so that's a big worry.

Oh well still 2nd with a game in hand so glass still half full
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:56 pm

well i have come away from that game wondering how we lost :shock: we dominated the first half. i think we have hit the woodwork twice. their keeper made a couple of class saves.and we lose 3-0 :shock: s od needs to address it and quick. so heres what you do shaun if you are looking in
put rico back to left back
put milan back on the left wing
sign a striker in the transfer window :wink:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:57 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Milan NEEDS to start.

yes because he isn't played enough.....like Baxendale was also wasted stupidly when we needed him

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:02 pm

chunkster wrote:well i have come away from that game wondering how we lost :shock: we dominated the first half. i think we have hit the woodwork twice. their keeper made a couple of class saves.and we lose 3-0 :shock: s od needs to address it and quick. so heres what you do shaun if you are looking in
put rico back to left back
put milan back on the left wing
sign a striker in the transfer window :wink:

With exception of not entirely agreeing with the overall comment about not seeing how we lost the game - I completely agree with your other points - spot on..

Problem is SOD seems to want to persist with any team/ formation that doesn't include Milan from the start and I'm not sure anyone understands why?!?!?

Rico is effective when he can be but he is wasted at left wing playing in front of our main liability at present which is Taylor.. Although that said I didn't think Taylor played too badly today..

The reason we lost the game is that they adapted to Bradshaw going off better than we did and played the conditions better - end of reasons..

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:05 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:

We still have a great chance of promotion but we just need a little injection of quality to push us over the line. Our incredible away form will keep us in the mix.

We carry on!!

Agreed about sallian.
He's either a troll or incredibly thick.
Either way I wish he would do one.

The Upper singing were louder today I thought.
A silver lining to the crap result.

let us go point by point....what is thick about what I said mr.sheep?

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:06 pm

First half - Impressive, great usage of Rico.

Second half - they turned half chances into goals. (Fair play to them)

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Gripper wrote:First half - Impressive, great usage of Rico.

Second half - they turned half chances into goals. (Fair play to them)

Very simple and accurate summary (unfortunately some of my frustrations find their way to my fingertips!) :D

UTS

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Always going to be difficult to score when you persist in crossing it with only one player in the box!

The defending today was woeful! The first goal Forde loses the ball and they make their way down our left unchallenged. The 2nd goal similar in that the player made their way past 3 players on the left. The 3rd O'Connor takes control from a goal kick and passes to Cook who falls over and they play a ball over the top!

Forde isn't a central midfielder just like Cook isn't a striker. Rico needs to play left back, we are doing a Benning on him at the moment. Mantom needs to put his foot in. We need some loan signings to freshen things up and help out what is becoming a depleted squad.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:16 pm

We carry on!!

this is delusional

Everything has gone:-

1) Flowing attacking football....GONE

2) Best Defence....GONE

3) Best goal difference .....GONE

4) Fewest losses....GONE or soon to

5) Defending as a team.... GONE

6) Tricky Baxendale to open locked defences.... GONE

7) Morris and Lalko attacks..... GONE

8) Creating chances..... GONE

9) Never getting thrashed...GONE

10) Fighting team spirit.....GONE

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:16 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Always going to be difficult to score when you persist in crossing it with only one player in the box!

The defending today was woeful! The first goal Forde loses the ball and they make their way down our left unchallenged. The 2nd goal similar in that the player made their way past 3 players on the left. The 3rd O'Connor takes control from a goal kick and passes to Cook who falls over and they play a ball over the top!

Forde isn't a central midfielder just like Cook isn't a striker. Rico needs to play left back, we are doing a Benning on him at the moment. Mantom needs to put his foot in. We need some loan signings to freshen things up and help out what is becoming a depleted squad.

I've made the points about Rico and Mantom repeatedly in recent weeks..

The squad is of course depleted but it's just sooo thin in numbers that if we are not careful we could see an alarming reverse in form - those around us getting an automatic lift as a result..

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:18 pm

sallian wrote:

We carry on!!

this is delusional

2) Best Defence....GONE

Talk about overreaction - bloody hell calm down will you? :shock:

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:23 pm

If we had done our home work on millwall, surely we would have gone with 3 centre halves with matt Preston joining downing and oconnor to add some much need height and strength!

This will probably sound like sour grapes but millwall our one o the worste footballing sides I have seen this year and that being said the long ball tactics they use is our Achilles heel.

Bradshaw isolated, nobody running in behind from
Midfield they are all too happy to sit.

Roberts pulled of some good saves first half and got let down by the defense in the 2nd.

Not pressing the panic button but the side needs a shake up, we have done well keeping hold of the squad now let's add to it. Another striker is a must!

Sort it SOD

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:27 pm

coop63 wrote:
sallian wrote:

We carry on!!

this is delusional

2) Best Defence....GONE

Talk about overreaction - bloody hell calm down will you? :shock:

All these things are true though...check out our stats and you can see on the pitch

Will it be an overreaction when we lose 0-3 again?

Our team always looks weak to me....We need to get strong athletic players and teach them to play football....rather than get weak, small players (except for a few that are needed to hide behind big players and run between tall players legs) and tell them to run ten yards behind big players with long legs.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season