Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 2nd Feb 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
superjorge

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 2nd Feb 7.45pm

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 pm

moaning saddler wrote:
Chambo IOW wrote:Millwall with a player sent off tonight as well ...

Wow, that's great news.
Millwall didn't even play tonight so it must have have been a diabolically late tackle from Saturday.

Yes they did. They played Oxford in Johnstones Paint Trophy. Beevers got sent off so I imagine he will be suspended Saturday. :D :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:25 pm

It's Mark not Lee before that gets added to the confusion. :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:05 am

Hull is spot on.

We were crap in the first half and got away with it to be honest. But second half was loads better. Looked comfy at 2-0 but it wouldn't be Walsall if they didn't make us sweat.

Sawyers skill for the second goal. I've never seen a shoulder drop dis-orientate a defender quite so much.

Huge win. Table looks nice.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:09 am

Just back, flew home on a very cold night.

First half was pretty poor, looked full of mistakes and nervous. Was a little lucky to go in at 0-0.

Second half we came out looking like a different team, got a goal from a little bit of individual determination and brilliance from Mantom. Second was a hilarious goal, Rom and Milan went to play it short with a large portion of the away fans moaning and begging them to not play it short (cause we know how shocking they are), they hesitate, do it anyway, Rom tricks the player that came short and glides past him into the box. He then crosses it in low, it deflects to Taylor who drives it onto the shins of Donny's defenders who deflect it into the back of the net.

They scored a bit of a wonder goal from outside the box, very nice shot. Thankfully we hung on, even though the Ref seemed intent on them getting an equaliser, gave nowt to us but plenty to them. They then pulled 4 mins added time from out their arse too, swear that second half had no stoppages other than 4 subs (2 mins).

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:11 am

hullsaddler wrote:Talk about a game of two halves. Someone from Mars would never in a million years have realised that we were promotion contenders in that first half. Far too many unforced errors, silly fouls given away etc. If we had been a couple down then that would not have been an unfair reflection. I know Otis says Taylor has been getting some unfair stick on here but he was really poor in the first half.
Second half we were transformed, far more composure at the back & finally showing some inventiveness & threat going forward. Cracking goal from Mantom & Sawyers' assist for the 2nd was sublime. Thought we were going to go on and get a 3rd but had to endure a nervy last few minutes though we did manage to run the clock down successfully in injury time. Great 3 points on a VERY cold south yorkshire night.

Good summing up there Hull. Undoubted man of the match was Adam Chambers followed closely by James O'Connor. MacGillivray also performed well making saves from the first minute to the last. I don't know why some people were screaming out for an emergency goalkeeper when we have a more than adequate replacement in the squad...................thickos. Poor referee, he awarded free kick after free kick to Doncaster including one amazing decision when one of their players ran into a stationary O'Connor who had stood his ground after blocking a pass :evil:

bescot42
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:08 am

To the moron sat behind me in the first half. Try supporting the team rather than swearing and shouting at them every few seconds. If they are as bad as you make out, perhaps you might want to watch some Champions League instead. Or just be realistic that you're watching League One football. No the first half wasn't great but swearing at the players and calling them useless after each time they lost possession or shot without scoring is a bit over the top.

I had to sit elsewhere for the second half, he was driving me mad.

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:51 am

As posted by others - a classic game of 2 halves really

Won't dwell on the negatives (there were plenty in the first half and against better opposition we'd have been 2-0 down at the break..) second half was radically different and I just don't know what transformed Andy Taylor but it certainly worked!!

Great first goal scored after a good run with genuine goal scoring intent from Mantom and the second was made from pure class from Romaine

Agree with the other comment about the 4 minutes - I was convinced the ref was playin for an equaliser

Just one other point - on the way to the entrance I was chatting to a steward who spoke extremely highly of both O'Connor and SOD - she seemed confident of 3 points for us!

Great result/best firm in the division over the last 10 games and only 1 defeat away all season in the league.... My god it's great to be a Saddler these days...

Hwell done boys

UTS

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:32 am

JonnyOwen wrote:Just back, flew home on a very cold night.

My son is going to University in September Jonny. I would welcome some tips on how he can live such an opulent lifestyle as as a student. Don't tell me it was a private plane :wink:

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:59 am

First half was pretty poor, looked full of mistakes and nervous. Was a little lucky to go in at 0-0.

Second half we came out looking like a different team, got a goal from a little bit of individual determination and brilliance from Mantom. Second was a hilarious goal, Rom and Milan went to play it short with a large portion of the away fans moaning and begging them to not play it short (cause we know how shocking they are), they hesitate, do it anyway, Rom tricks the player that came short and glides past him into the box. He then crosses it in low, it deflects to Taylor who drives it onto the shins of Donny's defenders who deflect it into the back of the net.

They scored a bit of a wonder goal from outside the box, very nice shot. Thankfully we hung on, even though the Ref seemed intent on them getting an equaliser, gave nowt to us but plenty to them. They then pulled 4 mins added time from out their arse too, swear that second half had no stoppages other than 4 subs (2 mins).

You do know who their managers dad is, right?

Fergie time lives on.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:02 am

According to the BBC web site this is Andy Taylor :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:21 am

Whatever happened to sports reporters?

Great win. Well done WalSOD!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:34 am

Great, Great, WIN. was out all night, so it was good to get back to see such a good result after Saturday, when most would have been happy with a draw.
We WILL go up automatically.
Come on me babbies, weem just brill!
Can't remember a season when we have only lost one match away from home, not even our early sixties were as good as this.
UTS...... Vile here we come, and not just a 'pre season' this time round!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:05 am

calling for a push in the back for mantoms and for sawyers not to play it short for the 2nd, shows exactly what i know!

JOC and Chambers in full on BEAST mode

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 am

It looks like my tactic of suggesting that we drop Taylor & Mantom worked perfectly. S'OD must have shown the post to them
in the half time break and it was just the motivation they needed.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:04 am

Exile wrote:Whatever happened to sports reporters?

I was furious not to see Baxendale, our deadline day signing from Mansfield (as per Sky Sports), even in the 18. What was the point of that, then? O'Driscoll out. Bonser out. Hannah the assistant physio out. Stafflers out.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:31 am

Brilliant result, think we're safe now - phew.

BTW Harry Middleton's lasting well, did they also have George Kirby and Colin Taylor in their squad? (One for the oldies)

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:34 am

Can I just say how unbelievably bad Taylor was in the first half..........

But bloody superb in the second.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:05 pm

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Quote from SO'D after the game on why he didn't play Rico from the start:
Rico is an 18-year-old boy that can't play every game and we've got to make sure that when he plays he's fresh – we don't want to burn him out at a young age.
Last edited by saddla on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:06 pm

The way Sawyers ghosted past those defenders for goal No.2 was magic!

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:13 pm

Cheesebag:Can I just say how unbelievably bad Taylor was in the first half..........

I think this is because the club has extended the tactics already employed in respect of Adam Chambers. Realising last season that he was getting on a bit and might not be able to last a full game we announced James' "retirement" and then used the summer to retrain him to replicate his twin's role. So each match one twin plays the first half and one the second. I can think of no other reason for "Adam's" phenomenal work rate and stamina at the age of 59 or whatever he is.

Now with Andy, when his legs were starting to go we did'nt have a twin readily available, so instead we approached Dolly the Sheep's cloning agency. The clone we got looks like Taylor (or Super Tom if you are the BBC!) but unfortunately the cloning process has not yet been perfected so the clone is a bit crap at football. Fortunately we got away with it last night without conceding a goal in the first half, leaving a real, fresh Taylor to come on second half and play a blinder. Anybody got a better explanation? :) :wink:
Last edited by cookyskid on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 pm

cookyskid wrote:
Cheesebag:Can I just say how unbelievably bad Taylor was in the first half..........

I think this is because the club has extended the tactics already employed in respect of Adam Chambers. Realising last season that he was getting on a bit and might not be able to last a full game we James' "retirement" and then used the summer to retrain him to replicate his twin's role. So each match one twin plays the first half and one the second. I can think of no other reason for "Adam's" phenomenal work rate and stamina at the age of 59 or whatever he is.

Now with Andy, when his legs were starting to go we did't have a twin readily available, so instead we approached Dolly the Sheep's cloning agency. The clone we got looks like Taylor (or Super Tom if you are the BBC!) but unfortunately the cloning process has not yet been perfected so the clone is a bit crap at football. Fortunately we got away with it last night without conceding a goal in the first half, leaving a real, fresh Taylor to come on second half and play a blinder. Anybody got a better explanation? :) :wink:

Have you been in Sound_out's shed? :mrgreen:

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Just trying to win the "Conspiracy Theory of the Year" from him :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:51 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

My son is going to University in September Jonny. I would welcome some tips on how he can live such an opulent lifestyle as as a student. Don't tell me it was a private plane :wink:

:lol:

Private Helicopter with everyones favourite uncle actually :wink:

Nah just M1 and M42 were deserted so I "flew" back down them.
Last edited by JonnyOwen on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:57 pm

cookyskid wrote:

I think this is because the club has extended the tactics already employed in respect of Adam Chambers. Realising last season that he was getting on a bit and might not be able to last a full game we announced James' "retirement" and then used the summer to retrain him to replicate his twin's role. So each match one twin plays the first half and one the second. I can think of no other reason for "Adam's" phenomenal work rate and stamina at the age of 59 or whatever he is.

Now with Andy, when his legs were starting to go we did'nt have a twin readily available, so instead we approached Dolly the Sheep's cloning agency. The clone we got looks like Taylor (or Super Tom if you are the BBC!) but unfortunately the cloning process has not yet been perfected so the clone is a bit crap at football. Fortunately we got away with it last night without conceding a goal in the first half, leaving a real, fresh Taylor to come on second half and play a blinder. Anybody got a better explanation? :) :wink:

Actually Jeff didn't want to pay the clone company so he just got Taundry to play in an Andy Taylor wig with a shirt that's a size too big for him. That explains the first half performance as well as the second half one.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Whaleoilbeefhooked wrote:The way Sawyers ghosted past those defenders for goal No.2 was magic!

He not only confused the defenders, he completely bamboozled the cameraman!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:19 am

Was slagging off both Mantom, and Taylor, to my badly frostbitten missus mere moments before they both bloody scored.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Nicked this off Facebook:

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:29 pm

The Red Prince wrote:Was slagging off both Mantom, and Taylor, to my badly frostbitten missus mere moments before they both bloody scored.

Me too mate - it's fair to say that they were both totally pants in the first half and that fact that we went in at 0-0 was basically a mixture of good fortune and lack of quality from Donny (apart from the clear penalty shout which was pure luck for us!!!)

Transformation in the second half must have shocked the Donny players as much as it did us - great stuff tho and it was well worth the trip in the end (although my missus simply couldn't believe me and my son went to the game at all!)

Fair play to the 309 saddlers there - made a decent racket and the banter was excellent - the stewards were giggling along at the fun!! :lol: :lol:

UTS

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 pm

saddla wrote:Nicked this off Facebook:

:lol: Love that.

He's a joy to watch.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season