Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 2nd Feb 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Re: Doncaster Rovers (A) League One, 2nd Feb 7.45pm

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:11 am

coop63 wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:Was slagging off both Mantom, and Taylor, to my badly frostbitten missus mere moments before they both bloody scored.

Me too mate - it's fair to say that they were both totally pants in the first half and that fact that we went in at 0-0 was basically a mixture of good fortune and lack of quality from Donny (apart from the clear penalty shout which was pure luck for us!!!)

UTS

The ball clearly hit Downing's hand ... but the ref obviously believed that it was accidental, There was no movement of hand to ball and he made no effort to control it so I think a penalty would have been harsh.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:23 am

hullsaddler wrote:
coop63 wrote:
The Red Prince wrote:Was slagging off both Mantom, and Taylor, to my badly frostbitten missus mere moments before they both bloody scored.

Me too mate - it's fair to say that they were both totally pants in the first half and that fact that we went in at 0-0 was basically a mixture of good fortune and lack of quality from Donny (apart from the clear penalty shout which was pure luck for us!!!)

UTS

The ball clearly hit Downing's hand ... but the ref obviously believed that it was accidental, There was no movement of hand to ball and he made no effort to control it so I think a penalty would have been harsh.

It does amaze me how so many people don't seem to know that handball has to be deliberate. If the player does not intend to use his hand or arm it is not handball, even if the ball does hit his hand.

You often hear it from commentators and summarisers - "well John he had his back to the ball, but his arm was away from his body and it stopped the cross so a clear penalty..."

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:27 am

aaaae wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:
coop63 wrote:

UTS

It does amaze me how so many people don't seem to know that handball has to be deliberate. If the player does not intend to use his hand or arm it is not handball, even if the ball does hit his hand.

You often hear it from commentators and summarisers - "well John he had his back to the ball, but his arm was away from his body and it stopped the cross so a clear penalty..."

Exactly. It was never a penalty, there was no way Downing could have moved his hand in this instance. People just don't get the rules, and handball is the one they get wrong most.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:36 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
aaaae wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:
coop63 wrote:

UTS

Exactly. It was never a penalty, there was no way Downing could have moved his hand in this instance. People just don't get the rules, and handball is the one they get wrong most.

'Ball to hand' used to be a common shout in my playing days as you tried to convince the ref that it was 'accidental'. :D

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:40 pm

I can't post another quote as it's over the 5 max so I'm putting this as a reply...

Sorry to disagree guys but it was right in front of us in the visiting fans end and absolutely everyone around me agreed (accompanied with a sharp intake a breath and a few choice words) that it was a clear penalty shout.. Don't get me wrong, I'm damn glad it wasn't given but I feel sure that 9 times out of 10 that would have been given with no hesitation..

Tell you one thing - if it had happened with us attacking their box we'd have been screaming for a clear pen regardless of who thinks people don't understand the already fairly clear rules! :roll:

UTS

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season