Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reading (A) Emirates F.A.Cup 4th rd, Jan 30th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Reading (A) Emirates F.A.Cup 4th rd, Jan 30th 3pm

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Some really sloppy defending tonight especially for the third, just hope Etheridge isn't seriously injured as it looked a bad one.

TBF with the above comments from S O'D I thought at 0-0 the team were very comfortable and indeed nearly went ahead through Bradshaw.

Then as soon as Reading score they came alive. The back 4 really struggled with the pace and mobility of the front two, Vydra and Robson-Kanu.

Think in games like this it's a mistake to go with just two central midfielders, more so when one goes off and is replaced inexplicably by Sawyers. It just gets overrun then as Romaine isn't the most mobile going backwards and you need him in any case to be as close to the main forward as possible so hopefully the loan move for Bryn Morris will correct this.

P.S the Reading fans were annoying as fudge. Yes you've been in the premier league a season or two so you can act like a lower league Chelsea, I imagine the 3-2 chant went over their heads seeing as most would've been about 2 when the game took place. :lol:

P.P.S how's Burton and Gillingham's unstoppable march to automatic promotion going Sallian?

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Obviously a disappointing experience.
Think Taylor has given the club some good service but hope to see Rico at left back with Milan/Morris in front of him at Doncaster. Still as others have said the league results were very good

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Don't understand why Millan is barely getting used at all, he'd be just off Bradshaw every week if I was manager.

Didn't S O'D have him on loan at Donny, strange one. Can only hope it's a bit of resting given the amount of games to come so trying to keep some players fresh.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I ventured out for my second away game of the season and for the first 35 minutes thought we were ok...not great but holding our own.After they scored we were very poor and when Etheridge went off it seemed to me our great start to the season could be coming to an end. One or two points:
1 we need another forward asap.
2Henry is a a full back not a left winger...we need Lalkovic back on Tuesday
3 the next few weeks will be a big test and we must all try and get behind the team. I was very disapponted with some of our "fans" today who seemed to want aggro. with Reading fans rather than supporting the team.
4when Chambers went off our lack of cover was apparent to all...lets hope young Morris can help us in that position.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Poor performance leading to an inevitable result.

4-4-1-1 isn't cutting it for me at the moment. We don't seem to have the same fluidity to our play in that system.

Positive is that any scouts watching won't have noticed Henry, Sawyers or Bradshaw as they were largely anonymous.

Good results for us in the league games played today. That 2 points dropped against Blackpool was a clanger for us. Having taken our best 3 players off against Blackpool I was surprised we left them on today given we weren't in it in the 2nd half. Guess that is why I'm not a football manager!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:Poor performance leading to an inevitable result.

4-4-1-1 isn't cutting it for me at the moment. We don't seem to have the same fluidity to our play in that system.

Positive is that any scouts watching won't have noticed Henry, Sawyers or Bradshaw as they were largely anonymous.

Good results for us in the league games played today. That 2 points dropped against Blackpool was a clanger for us. Having taken our best 3 players off against Blackpool I was surprised we left them on today given we weren't in it in the 2nd half. Guess that is why I'm not a football manager!

With logic like that maybe you should be :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Walsallone wrote:I ventured out for my second away game of the season and for the first 35 minutes thought we were ok...not great but holding our own.After they scored we were very poor and when Etheridge went off it seemed to me our great start to the season could be coming to an end. One or two points:
3 the next few weeks will be a big test and we must all try and get behind the team. I was very disapponted with some of our "fans" today who seemed to want aggro. with Reading fans rather than supporting the team.
4when Chambers went off our lack of cover was apparent to all...lets hope young Morris can help us in that position.

Agree with that W1, playing Rico as a left winger hasn't worked.............he's a left back!

There is no threat up front, we need a player with the same type of impact that Brandy had, Jack Redshaw from Blackpool would fit the criteria.

Let us hope that the team can bounce back on Tuesday night at Doncaster.............could be a turning point.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Cully wrote:
Walsallone wrote:I ventured out for my second away game of the season and for the first 35 minutes thought we were ok...not great but holding our own.After they scored we were very poor and when Etheridge went off it seemed to me our great start to the season could be coming to an end. One or two points:

Agree with that W1, playing Rico as a left winger hasn't worked.............he's a left back!

There is no threat up front, we need a player with the same type of impact that Brandy had, Jack Redshaw from Blackpool would fit the criteria.

Let us hope that the team can bounce back on Tuesday night at Doncaster.............could be a turning point.

Did you let Bradshaw borrow your invisible cloak Cully?

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:14 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:

In a way he couldn't be faulted, strikers miss chances but what he struggles with both this season and last is the lack of quality passes to make chances. He really is living off scraps, we're so predictable for the majority of times that the opposition has plenty of time to mark him out of the game. As I stated previously, we need someone like Brandy alongside him. Lalkovic and Morris can provide the crosses/chances.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Cully wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:

In a way he couldn't be faulted, strikers miss chances but what he struggles with both this season and last is the lack of quality passes to make chances. He really is living off scraps, we're so predictable for the majority of times that the opposition has plenty of time to mark him out of the game. As I stated previously, we need someone like Brandy alongside him. Lalkovic and Morris can provide the crosses/chances.

I agree Cully. I'm not criticising Bradshaw per se, but something ay right. He needs service.

TheBiscuitMen

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:36 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Not too fussed about the result, quite worried about several aspects of the performance tho.

We've had this result coming for a few weeks now, we've started to leak goals and lack ideas up front.

Today, too many players were nowhere near good enough:

Sawyers, off the boil massively. Has been terrific in the first half of the season but let's be honest, his last few games have been well below the level he has set for himself.

Forde, didn't get in to the game enough today - offered little on or off the ball.

Taylor, looks jittery and slow, but of a liability nowadays.

Demetriou, again, not up to his high standards that he's set for himself.

Mantom, off the pace, neither here nor there, turning in to a run of the mill league one midfielder.

I know it's only the cup but this should act as a wake up call to the club. We might not stand a better chance of promotion for another 10 years - this group of players is good but needs freshening up with some talent to get us across the line. Other clubs are doing it, let's not get left behind.

Finally, a word for Reading - what an utter dump. Ground miles away from the city centre in the middle of nowhere, barely any transport links to get there, dull stadium, half full, zero atmosphere and awful awful fans who only made a noise once they were leading. Won't bother going back to this dump

Sound's a bit bitter. Hardly going to be the best atmosphere for a low league one club in the FA cup.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:42 pm

TheBiscuitMen wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Not too fussed about the result, quite worried about several aspects of the performance tho.

We've had this result coming for a few weeks now, we've started to leak goals and lack ideas up front.

Sawyers, off the boil massively. Has been terrific in the first half of the season but let's be honest, his last few games have been well below the level he has set for himself.

Forde, didn't get in to the game enough today - offered little on or off the ball.

Mantom, off the pace, neither here nor there, turning in to a run of the mill league one midfielder.

I know it's only the cup but this should act as a wake up call to the club. We might not stand a better chance of promotion for another 10 years - this group of players is good but needs freshening up with some talent to get us across the line. Other clubs are doing it, let's not get left behind.

Finally, a word for Reading - what an utter dump. Ground miles away from the city centre in the middle of nowhere, barely any transport links to get there, dull stadium, half full, zero atmosphere and awful awful fans who only made a noise once they were leading. Won't bother going back to this dump

Sound's a bit bitter. Hardly going to be the best atmosphere for a low league one club in the FA cup.

A low league one club? Errrrrr.....

You were at our level not so long ago and pre rich chairman your gates & ground were no bigger than ours! Let's not forget our pasts eh

TheBiscuitMen

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:45 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Well that was a bit barclays.

On current form I can't see clubs queuing up to buy Tom. Had a golden chance at 0-0 but fudge it up and pretty anonymous after that. I thought it was going well until they scored, however, in the end 4-0 might have flattered them but they deserved the win.

I feel sorry for their fans. A club ruined. So glad we don't have a sugar daddy owner.

:shock:

Ruined club a division above and in the 5th round of the cup.

TheBiscuitMen

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:46 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:

You were at our level not so long ago and pre rich chairman your gates & ground were no bigger than ours! Let's not forget our pasts eh

Not sure what your point is. We're not now. :roll:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:48 pm

Playing against a team from a higher division away from home we really needed to go balls out in attack if we wanted to win. Bradshaw up on his own had no chance. He was in the defenders pocket. With the formation we started with today Sawyers had to be more aggressive pushing on with the ball committing defenders and playing the ball through the gaps, but I'm afraid Romaine is happy at the moment to just make quick 5 yards sideways passes and flicks (which more often the not are going to opponents). With his ability he needs to be driving at the opposition getting them on the back foot. A proper number 10, rather than a 7.

We definitely need to play Rico left back. Taylor is a big weakness for us. Reading were doubling up on Rico, so presume McDermott did a good scouting job. The defender marking him matched his pace and nullified his threat.

Mantom wasn't at the races at all, in fact too many players had an off day and Reading were easily better than us. The ref didn't help, giving them every marginal decision, but that's to be expected. The booking of Demitriou was ridiculous. Their player virtually put him in the stand. Anyway let's see what SOD does on Tuesday. A draw would be very handy.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:51 pm

TheBiscuitMen wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:

Not sure what your point is. We're not now. :roll:

See you next season :mrgreen:

Not that far away from us considering all those millions spent :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:55 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:P.S the Reading fans were annoying as fudge. Yes you've been in the premier league a season or two so you can act like a lower league Chelsea, I imagine the 3-2 chant went over their heads seeing as most would've been about 2 when the game took place. :lol:

My thoughts exactly. My first visit to the Madejski today, but I'd always assumed Reading fans were a 'nice' bunch. How wrong I was. Not a word was uttered from the home end until they scored, and what followed was a series of chants that made them look like the most arrogant bunch of tossers English football has ever seen. Magic of the FA Cup? Not in Reading apparently. There's no way the snapback brigade giving it the big'un towards the front of that stand would know what you meant if you mentioned Tony Rougier and the Millennium Stadium.

Our performance was every bit the showing of a side that knows it has bigger priorities. We'd already beaten decent Championship sides already this season and had our 'big day out', so without going as far as saying the players weren't up for it, we didn't have that zip or spark we've tended to have in most cup games this season.

If there's a lesson to be taken from today it's that we need to be much more clinical in the final third if we want to compete in the league above. We'd been the better side before the first goal, but they had two chances in a couple of minutes and put the game out of sight. We seemed to take one too many touches or make one too many passes when we got near the box.

I think I'd be inclined to drop Henry in at left back and bring Lalkovic back in to play in front of him. For me, Taylor's been skinned a few too many times lately and Rico doesn't look like he particularly enjoys playing further forward. We lose the impact of his overlapping bursts to the byline when he plays in midfield, and I also think his pace is a big asset in what is essentially a pretty slow back four.

Results at Blackpool, Coventry and Rochdale couldn't have gone much better though, so far from a bad day all round.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:55 pm

When was the last time we won on a pitch marked out for rugby ?

Ban 'em ..................they ain't compatible with our cerebral soccer !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't ask Spassky to play chess on a ludo board .
Last edited by Kevlar on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:Not sure what your point is. We're not now. :roll:

Separated by a whole 12 places in the league...

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:09 pm

Christ almighty, Mr Biscuit. Delusions of grandeur or what.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:18 pm

TheBiscuitMen wrote:

On current form I can't see clubs queuing up to buy Tom. Had a golden chance at 0-0 but fudge it up and pretty anonymous after that. I thought it was going well until they scored, however, in the end 4-0 might have flattered them but they deserved the win.

I feel sorry for their fans. A club ruined. So glad we don't have a sugar daddy owner.

Indeed. I hope that we never become like you or your ilk. If Walsall didn't exist I would support a non league club rather than a plastic, soulless club like yours. I'm not trying to offend, it is just the way I am. When we were in the league that you are now in we attracted new supporters, many of whom were complete arsoles. They soon disappeared as have yours from your stint in the greed league.

I spoke to two or three Reading fans today on the bus and train. They reminded me of those arsoles that jumped on our clubs success with their jumped up opinion of your club. Give me a third division game between our two clubs at Elm Park or Fellows Park any day.

It is a dilemma for me. I want us to win every game but despise the rewards that result from doing so.

TheBiscuitMen

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:20 pm

aaaae wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:Not sure what your point is. We're not now. :roll:

Separated by a whole 12 places in the league...

Looked a bit more than that on the pitch today. Not to mention we're in one of our lowest league positions for the last 10 years and you're in one of your best.

TheBiscuitMen

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:21 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Christ almighty, Mr Biscuit. Delusions of grandeur or what.

I'd save that for your fans who were saying your squad was easily as good if not better than ours, prior to today of course.

TheBiscuitMen

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:24 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:

Indeed. I hope that we never become like you or your ilk. If Walsall didn't exist I would support a non league club rather than a plastic, soulless club like yours. I'm not trying to offend, it is just the way I am. When we were in the league that you are now in we attracted new supporters, many of whom were complete arsoles. They soon disappeared as have yours from your stint in the greed league.

I spoke to two or three Reading fans today on the bus and train. They reminded me of those arsoles that jumped on our clubs success with their jumped up opinion of your club. Give me a third division game between our two clubs at Elm Park or Fellows Park any day.

It is a dilemma for me. I want us to win every game but despise the rewards that result from doing so.

I thoroughly enjoyed out 05/06 season when we played some of the best football ever witnessed. I also enjoyed the following season finishing 8th in the Premier League. If you enjoy slogging it out in league one year on year, fair enough for you.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:25 pm

TheBiscuitMen wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed out 05/06 season when we played some of the best football ever witnessed. I also enjoyed the following season finishing 8th in the Premier League. If you enjoy slogging it out in league one year on year, fair enough for you.

Winning in league 2 is great aswell and the away days are much better :D

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:

Winning in league 2 is great aswell and the away days are much better :D

Winning in any league is great all today proved was if we do go up its going to be a hard slog to get to the magical 50 point target.
Doing it by beating all our local rivals will be the silver lining on the season though.
The only difference between walsall and reading today was they had 2 goalscorers that wouldn't look out of place in the top flight we had Bradshaw never played at a higher level and sawyers who doesn't score goals.
Last edited by otiswfc on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:36 pm

sallian wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Positives

2, the freezing out of Milan and Morris???? What's happening there.

UTS

Very worrying as they have some dazzle and ooooomph which we very much need in the last third.....maybe personality clashes with the manager

Doubtful when the manager doesn't have one! :D

Biscuitshite has changed his tone to fill-on smug now they've won. Plastic fan.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:47 pm

ok this wasn't a champagne performance by any stretch of the imagination!
let reading have their cup run theres nothing left for them to play for.
we have a realistic chance of making the play offs if not automatic promotion this season.
yes we have players that make mistakes and yes the size of our budget means we really shouldn't be above the likes of sheff utd wigan and Coventry.
but we are and that's because we have team spirit.
we have 19 games left now where 7 wins will virtually give us a chance of another Wembley final and if lucky to play in a higher division.
we are a small honest squad so lets bounce back Tuesday night and a win at Donny and everything will look nice and rosey in the league again.
we know we wont expand the squad well have to stick with what we have but if every player puts their maximum effort in then we could finish off a great season.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm

TheBiscuitMen wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
TheBiscuitMen wrote:

we are what we are. we follow the club that we love. in the hope that some knight in shining armour comes along and takes us to the dizzy hight's of the next league. but be assured we are true fans :wink:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:00 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Some really sloppy defending tonight especially for the third, just hope Etheridge isn't seriously injured as it looked a bad one.

TBF with the above comments from S O'D I thought at 0-0 the team were very comfortable and indeed nearly went ahead through Bradshaw.

Then as soon as Reading score they came alive. The back 4 really struggled with the pace and mobility of the front two, Vydra and Robson-Kanu.

Think in games like this it's a mistake to go with just two central midfielders, more so when one goes off and is replaced inexplicably by Sawyers. It just gets overrun then as Romaine isn't the most mobile going backwards and you need him in any case to be as close to the main forward as possible so hopefully the loan move for Bryn Morris will correct this.

P.S the Reading fans were annoying as fudge. Yes you've been in the premier league a season or two so you can act like a lower league Chelsea, I imagine the 3-2 chant went over their heads seeing as most would've been about 2 when the game took place. :lol:

P.P.S how's Burton and Gillingham's unstoppable march to automatic promotion going Sallian?

problem is Sawyers is pretty lightweight and not strong....so we lose from running, tackling with him....and if he is not passing or flicking well....he needs to be off and someone else on

Reading were a bunch of teens.... problem with the 3-2 chant was that...today was 0-4 on my day out....and the millenium was long ago now....these are desperate chants....having to harp on about before rather than now.

I don't want Burton and Gillingham up there u drip! but they seem more consistent than us, Gillingham can score and Burton can defend...and Burton are now scoring too...I think Clough would have been good for us, ........and we never take advantage of the other teams cocking up their results...so we can't really say jack about it

still not convinced we have improved under SOD....we got walloped by nobody Rochdale....we struggled against strugglers Blackpool and throw away 2 points, we get humiliated by Reading who weren't even that good and we looked like we couldn't run or kick the ball... we are not really scoring or creating and we are leaking a lot more than I think we would have under Smith. These thrashings by mediocre teams can psychologically screw you

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season