Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reading (A) Emirates F.A.Cup 4th rd, Jan 30th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Re: Reading (A) Emirates F.A.Cup 4th rd, Jan 30th 3pm

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 pm

coop63 wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:I was never one of Deano's happy clappers but I'm shocked by some of the negativity on here. You'd think we were finished. An unlucky draw with Blackpool and a loss away to a team a division up and O'Driscoll is crap all of a sudden? Yes I think he's got a few things wrong, but give the bloke a chance

I'm not down on SOD at all I just don't understand why he is so accepting of the obvious problem at left back that we actually have a complete solution for!!

Rico's primary role is left back - not a mystery but fact.. When we get e posed it almost always involves Taylor (who, before anyone comments) I do actually rate but is now looking leggy and prone to errors... He is an excellent option from bench if needed in my opinion

Getting back to you point, SOD has many qualities but in al truth, we haven't been playing too well for large periods of recent games and as we hit the so called 'business end' of the season - we might be susceptible to exposure from opposing teams coaches with a bit of homework on our regular set up..

Completely agree on the Rico front. I kind of understand it against Reading away, but playing him and Taylor at home to Blackpool was baffling. Personally, I don't think Taylor is good enough for a promotion chasing League One side anymore.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 pm

This was not unexpected our form since start of year apart from first half at bury has been poor , the change of formation has bought back crab football we need milan and morris back on wings and henry at left back to give us more attacking options and tom a chance to get ball.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:26 pm

Scaly Egbert wrote:Interesting to read some of the comments here.

Where does the idea that Reading fans were arrogant yesterday come from?

Well probably because we did not hear a peep from your fans, absolute silence, until 37 minutes when you scored. The first song your lot sang was "one nil one your big day out". Frankly who the fudge hell do you think you are? You're so big you have to share your ground with a rugby team. Do you think that's what "big" teams do?

Plastic fans of a plastic club. If you got relegated you'd be back to the 8000 you used to get at Elm Park and be all the better for it.

TheBiscuitMen

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:57 pm

aaaae wrote:

Well probably because we did not hear a peep from your fans, absolute silence, until 37 minutes when you scored. The first song your lot sang was "one nil one your big day out". Frankly who the fudge hell do you think you are? You're so big you have to share your ground with a rugby team. Do you think that's what "big" teams do?

Plastic fans of a plastic club. If you got relegated you'd be back to the 8000 you used to get at Elm Park and be all the better for it.

:lol: The rugby club point is hilarious.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:08 pm

It's not bitterness biscuit man - what is there to be bitter about?

I've been to dozens of clubs up and down the country, some modern stadia, some not so modern, but honestly Reading is up there with the worst.

It's soulless, corporate, lifeless, boring, miles out of town, you have to pay to park everywhere near it (so again, returning to the point about the corporate nature of it), as others have said, there was zero atmosphere until you scored, and even then, the Walsall fans were louder.

Reading are the type of club that is killing traditional old English football. You can understand that the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd/city will attract all these modern half and half scarf wearing football "fans", but Reading, having spent a little time in the company of the biggest club, now think they have a divine right to be there all the time, thus take no interest when they are not competing with the big boys.

The great thing about a club like Walsall is you will get the same kind of passion and support whether it's away at Hartlepool in December, or at home to Chelsea in the cup.

The attitude you get from clubs like Reading (and Reading aren't the only ones) is that only the games against the big 4 matter, that's all they care about, that's when they sing...when they're on TV. I understand all clubs want to get promoted, or win the league, that's what it's all about, but Reading are just a horrible club with no soul.

I'd hate to support a club like Reading, in fact I wouldn't, I'd go and support a non league side if Walsall ever moved to a ground miles away from anywhere, with 15,000 empty seats and an empty home "end".

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:02 pm

TheBiscuitMen wrote:
aaaae wrote:

:lol: The rugby club point is hilarious.

Have you not noticed that you have the worst playing surface in the whole football league? Worst I've seen in the last 20 years. Absolutely hilarious I'd say. Just what all the big clubs aim for...

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:25 pm

Great point about the rugby stadium. Just over 2 weeks and within them we have played 2 games at Rugby Stadiums. Also, why do said stadiums have to include a drummer? Jeeeeesus. I'd rather have a quiet Bescot than a Drummer.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:45 pm

Scaly Egbert wrote:Where does the idea that Reading fans were arrogant yesterday come from?

There's a definite theme among all fans these days for having no grasp of hypocrisy.

Really good post overall, but I think we've collated enough examples to work out how we came to the conclusion on arrogant. Plenty of football fans might have no grasp of hypocrisy, but that's not really a valid defence of the extraordinarily high proportion of idiots in the home end yesterday.

Interestingly, there was. Reading fan who called 606 last night to say he wanted a Premier League team away in the next round as he hadn't been to any Premier League grounds. This isn't a dig, but I was genuinely surprised - it's only three years since the bloke had 19 chances to go to one.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:51 pm

Wasn't there, but bit surprised by all the animosity towards Reading. For me the most offensive thing about them is that they seem a bit la-di-da, are they still sponsored by Waitrose?

Scaly Egbert

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:54 pm

aaaae wrote:

Well probably because we did not hear a peep from your fans, absolute silence, until 37 minutes when you scored.

It was a dull game, and it's not as if if you were playing a league from the division below, you'd be wildly enthusiastic. You got 2500 against Fleetwood in the 1st round, and 2900 against Chesterfield, so it's not as if you were highly enthused by the cup either.

The first song your lot sang was "one nil one your big day out". Frankly who the fudge hell do you think you are?

I've covered why fans sings that song, and the fact we'll sing it to anyone. The other obvious reason is to wind the away fans up. It seems it worked a treat.

You're so big you have to share your ground with a rugby team. Do you think that's what "big" teams do?

Why do you assume we have to share? I think their contribution comes to something like £300,000 a year.

How many years in a row of 17000+ crowds do we need to have before people think that maybe it's not a blip?

Also, why do said stadiums have to include a drummer? Jeeeeesus. I'd rather have a quiet Bescot than a Drummer.

Believe me, so would we.

The idiot with the drum is right down the other end because he got so many suggestions surrounded where he could store his drumsticks. Thankfully, from down the other end of the stand, the accoustics mean were rarely hear him.

It's not bitterness biscuit man - what is there to be bitter about?

Losing by a somewhat harsh 0-4 scoreline perhaps, especially with so much optimism on display?

I've been to dozens of clubs up and down the country, some modern stadia, some not so modern, but honestly Reading is up there with the worst.

It's soulless, corporate, lifeless, boring, miles out of town, you have to pay to park everywhere near it (so again, returning to the point about the corporate nature of it)

What's "corporate" about car parking? Other than the stadium car park, the club doesn't make a penny out of it.

There used to be loads of places where you could park for free, but one by one they got encouraged to bring wheel-clampers in etc, and traffic wardens in Reading are like a plague of locusts. Personally I park in Mereoak P&R, just south of the motorway, which is £3.50, which is hardly extortionate. All parking used to be that sort of price until we got to the premier league, but the prices didn't come back down again.

There was meant to be a train station half a mile away, that was meant to open when the ground opened (or shortly after). Not only has it still not opened, but Network Rail have put it back until 2019-2024.

There are regular shuttle buses from Reading station though, which is more than there was to Elm Park.

, as others have said, there was zero atmosphere until you scored, and even then, the Walsall fans were louder.

It wasn't a big game for us. Sorry if that offends you, but getting to the 4th round means we've won 1 cup game. Do you get excited about reaching the 2nd round?

It was a fairly low key game, and as said, it lurched from boredom to complacency within two minutes.

Yes, our fans don't exactly live up to Galatasaray's "welcome to hell" image (and having been to a low key league game at the Ali Semi Yen Stadium, nor do theirs all the time either) but the atmosphere has been rather better at other games.

Reading are the type of club that is killing traditional old English football. You can understand that the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd/city will attract all these modern half and half scarf wearing football "fans"

so how many half & half scarf Reading fans have you seen?

None, obviously, but little details like that clearly won't stop you getting offended about what you assume Reading fans are like.

, but Reading, having spent a little time in the company of the biggest club, now think they have a divine right to be there all the time

We do?

I can only assume you've spoken to loads of Reading fans to get this opinion, and aren't just, again, getting offended by your own assumptions, as that would be a little stupid.

, thus take no interest when they are not competing with the big boys.

I guess if you'd been drawn at home to a typical 4th tier club you'd have sold out.

The great thing about a club like Walsall is you will get the same kind of passion and support whether it's away at Hartlepool in December, or at home to Chelsea in the cup.

Getting 2500 at 2900 in your home FA Cup ties this season kind of suggests that's nonsense.

The attitude you get from clubs like Reading (and Reading aren't the only ones) is that only the games against the big 4 matter

Really? You taken an active interest in the hundreds of games we've played since going up in 2006, that aren't against the big four, to judge our atmosphere?

You couldn't really just be getting offended by your own assumptions again, could you? Or do you maybe put Walsall in the same bracket as all the clubs who aren't a big 4 club?

, that's all they care about, that's when they sing...when they're on TV

Having been a championship club (or higher) for nearly 15 years in a row now, being on tv is nothing special. The idea that we'd get excited about being on tv is just daft. But then again, if you are the kind of person who has preconceived ideas, and requires no actual evidence to back them up, it's an understandable viewpoint.

. I understand all clubs want to get promoted, or win the league, that's what it's all about, but Reading are just a horrible club with no soul.

So what did we have, in terms of soul, that was so different in our Elm Park days? Or did we have no soul then either? That would be odd, as it's meant to be that moving has ruined us and taken our soul away.

I'd hate to support a club like Reading, in fact I wouldn't, I'd go and support a non league side if Walsall ever moved to a ground miles away from anywhere, with 15,000 empty seats and an empty home "end".

The main support was always at the side, even at Elm Park, because the home end wasn't covered. It was one "tradition" we took to the new place, which is a shame as the view from the end is fantastic.

I'd hate to play in a ground with 15000 empty seats too. Luckily we average 18000 this year, despite playing badly, and the Madejski doesn't hold 33000.

Even yesterday's low crowd was 55% full, which is proportionally still more full than the Bescot is, on average.

But still, as you say, at least you didn't in any way seem bitter about it.

Scaly Egbert

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Scaly Egbert wrote:Where does the idea that Reading fans were arrogant yesterday come from?

There's a definite theme among all fans these days for having no grasp of hypocrisy.

Really good post overall, but I think we've collated enough examples to work out how we came to the conclusion on arrogant. Plenty of football fans might have no grasp of hypocrisy, but that's not really a valid defence of the extraordinarily high proportion of idiots in the home end yesterday.

No, I'll agree, we do have a high degree of total spanners who sit in that block just across from the away end, but it takes very little to convince people of the "truth" at times.

I can recall from the play-off final in 2001 that there were a fair number of completely ungracious Walsall fans after the result that day who took great pleasure in taking the piss from the safety of their coaches, but should I assume all Walsall fans are as utterly classless as that?

Interestingly, there was a Reading fan who called 606 last night to say he wanted a Premier League team away in the next round as he hadn't been to any Premier League grounds. This isn't a dig, but I was genuinely surprised - it's only three years since the bloke had 19 chances to go to one.

Maybe he was young. Maybe he's only become a fan in the last few years, jumping on the mid-table mediocrity bandwagon.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:26 pm

Fair play mate, you're either absolutely seething or have not much else to do.

A* for effort, as they gangsters say... "Quotin' ain't easy".

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:56 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Wasn't there, but bit surprised by all the animosity towards Reading. For me the most offensive thing about them is that they seem a bit la-di-da, are they still sponsored by Waitrose?

If you were there you wouldn't need any explanation for the animosity.

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:00 pm

Scaly Egbert I've just got in from the pub and true grit is on the TV so I can't be arsed to answer you're post right now. But I will take the time to say I take my hat off to you for the length and complexity of your reply. Catch you later.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:06 pm

Not sure I understand all the bad feeling towards Reading to be honest. Yes a lot of their fans on the side may have been nobs, but make no mistake we can stand shoulder to shoulder with most clubs when it comes to human detritus especially on big days out, and this was no exception.
For the record, I like the ground and the shuttle bus service to and from the station is very good. There are some really good pubs in the town too if you like proper beer.
As for the match, the extra bit of class was the difference, although looking at our formation and the use of subs I wonder if SOD was more interested in the upcoming league games.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:25 pm

Scaly Egbert wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

No, I'll agree, we do have a high degree of total spanners who sit in that block just across from the away end, but it takes very little to convince people of the "truth" at times.

I can recall from the play-off final in 2001 that there were a fair number of completely ungracious Walsall fans after the result that day who took great pleasure in taking the piss from the safety of their coaches, but should I assume all Walsall fans are as utterly classless as that?

Let's be honest, we're all being very generalist here - Wembley was littered with idiots from across the Black Country and beyond when we played at Wembley last March too. Back to my original point though, I suppose I was just a bit taken aback to see so may cheap shots and distasteful behaviour at a club I've only ever really heard the words 'nice' and 'family orientated' associated with previously.

I genuinely wish you all the best for the next round - especially given who your potential opponents are - and the rest of the season. Regardless of what happened yesterday, I can think of at least half a dozen sides I'd in the Championship who I'd rather see struggle than Reading.

midfield general

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:47 am

I think maybe a few of the younger fans do not like the 'family club' tag and try to over compensate.. I imagine they watch green street on a Saturday morning while drinking a bottle of WKD to get them in the mood.

Personally I love the fact we have a community club, a nice safe stadium, a club that puts a great deal back into the local area, has a brilliant academy. Do I miss elm park? on a Tuesday night with a full southbank yes.. wading through piss from a broken toilet and standing with 4000 other people for the visit of Bury.. not so much. One thing is for certain, without moving from our old home, reinventing ourselves and drawing local fans away from the lure of the London clubs (all with an hour of Reading) then we would not have been to the Premiership, enjoying the most successful period of our long history.

I think if you looked a bit harder you find most Reading fans (of a certain age) would be as passionate, knowledgeable and decent as the majority of your lot.

Good luck for the rest of the Season!

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:16 am

Fair enough MG. Good luck yourself.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Shoot me down in flames, but I like the Madejski Stadium - and the Ricoh Arena!!! :D

I wish that we had either of them, instead of poxy Bescot Stadium. I will agree, however, that the playing surfaces are spoiled by having the egg-chasers play on them.

SWS1

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 pm

I think there has been a bit too much bile emptied onto this thread from certain people. It's a football match, for God's sake. We were well beaten on the day; there are positives to be taken from the fact that we have shown conclusively that we can beat higher league opposition on our day and that we matched Reading for long periods in this game but they stuck the leather in the bag and we didn't. Good win for them; we learned a bit; we've had a decent run (for us); pity we didn't get a ManC United or Leicester ( :mrgreen: ) for the 4th round but, hey! it's still a great season. There's no need for us to call the opposition names after the event. And vice versa. Good luck to them. And, above all, good luck to us for the rest of the season :D. The dropped points against Bleckpool, Crewe etc peed me off much more than this, as, I'm sure, was the case with most UTSers. We really must learn how to put the poor dears to bed, rather like Reading did with us. End of.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I don't think anyone on the thread has said we weren't well beaten on the day have they?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:28 pm

How anyone could resist falling into a dreamy-eyed daze of love for the town and football club of Reading is nothing short of a mystery. Champions of football they may be, but the audacity to scoop champions of our hearts deserves a round of warm, good-natured applause (though not overstepping the mark with any cheering) from everyone on this message board. In some circumstances, however, mere appreciation just isn't enough. That's why, to compensate the appalling lack of respect shown by certain individuals towards our Berkshire friends, I suggest we each make a £50 donation to Reading Football Club in a showing of thanks and humility for gifting us on Saturday the most honourable honour of honouring their honourable stadium.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:54 pm

4143 wrote:How anyone could resist falling into a dreamy-eyed daze of love for the town and football club of Reading is nothing short of a mystery. Champions of football they may be, but the audacity to scoop champions of our hearts deserves a round of warm, good-natured applause (though not overstepping the mark with any cheering) from everyone on this message board. In some circumstances, however, mere appreciation just isn't enough. That's why, to compensate the appalling lack of respect shown by certain individuals towards our Berkshire friends, I suggest we each make a £50 donation to Reading Football Club in a showing of thanks and humility for gifting us on Saturday the most honourable honour of honouring their honourable stadium.

Brilliant, I'll PM you with my bank account and pin details.

Scaly Egbert

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:42 pm

aaaae wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:Wasn't there, but bit surprised by all the animosity towards Reading. For me the most offensive thing about them is that they seem a bit la-di-da, are they still sponsored by Waitrose?

I think a fair bit of the stick in the 2nd half might have been due to the presence of a group of Walsall idiots who looked intent on kicking off, and had to be held back in the tunnel from the concourse by about a dozen stewards.

There's just no way they are going to miss the opportunity to wind up a group like that.

Even back in the Elm Park days, I remember the Stoke fanzine "the Oatcake" saying that no other set of fans succeeds in winding up an away support up as much as our lot did.

Sadly the abuse these days doesn't really vary whoever we are playing. It'll always be the "big day out song" if they've brought decent support, "back to your ****hole, why don't you go home" even if we were playing Monaco somehow, and "you're f***ing s***" if we happen to be winning (we've been singing that for two whole months now, after QPR sang it when they beat us at the start of December). Oh for the days of the thin shirtless away fan, giving it large, and then having "you've got a chest like a pigeon" sung at him.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 pm

midfield general wrote:we would not have been to the Premiership

I suppose that is the only benefit of sharing your ground with a rugby team :wink:

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:38 pm

Scaly Egbert wrote:
aaaae wrote:

I think a fair bit of the stick in the 2nd half might have been due to the presence of a group of Walsall idiots who looked intent on kicking off, and had to be held back in the tunnel from the concourse by about a dozen stewards.

There's just no way they are going to miss the opportunity to wind up a group like that.

Even back in the Elm Park days, I remember the Stoke fanzine "the Oatcake" saying that no other set of fans succeeds in winding up an away support up as much as our lot did.

Sadly the abuse these days doesn't really vary whoever we are playing. It'll always be the "big day out song" if they've brought decent support, "back to your ****hole, why don't you go home" even if we were playing Monaco somehow, and "you're f***ing s***" if we happen to be winning (we've been singing that for two whole months now, after QPR sang it when they beat us at the start of December). Oh for the days of the thin shirtless away fan, giving it large, and then having "you've got a chest like a pigeon" sung at him.

Well yes, it got ridiculous. I think the stewards had an unnecessarily hard time and the situation could easily been avoided by leaving a couple of blocks empty between the two sets of fans.

But the Reading fans were poor for the 37 minutes before the first goal. Hardly a peep. Then after the goal just spent the rest of the game taunting, which is fine if that's your style, but it wasn't very classy and isn't going to endear you to the opposition fans.

BTW Where did your Thai owners get their money from? (Genuine question)

Scaly Egbert

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:57 pm

aaaae wrote:But the Reading fans were poor for the 37 minutes before the first goal. Hardly a peep.

We've had three years of really boring football.

It'll sound like I'm exaggerating, but it had got to the stage where we'd turn up not even expecting to score, let alone win.

Also, over the years, we've had some pretty over-zealous stewards, and we've regularly seen fans who stand up and try to get a bit of atmosphere going get dragged out and banned.

The older guys stopped going (one guy who used to start a lot of the better songs just stopped going, and watches Maidenhead now, because he got so peed off with it all) and the younger lads are a bit of a joke.

Then after the goal just spent the rest of the game taunting, which is fine if that's your style, but it wasn't very classy and isn't going to endear you to the opposition fans.

I'd actually agree to a large extent. We used to wind away fans up in the past, but there was a lot of support for the team as well. The support element has dropped off.

You get nights when the atmosphere can be brilliant (and certainly not just big games either) but there are too few of them. On those nights the stewards stay downstairs and let the crowd get on with it. Weirdly, what really gets the crowd going is a sense of injustice. A dirty Neil Warnock team often brings out the best in the crowd, or a team of cheats in town maybe.

BTW Where did your Thai owners get their money from? (Genuine question)

Nobody seems too sure. Few seem exactly sure who they even are. I think it's at least four people, all with different interests.

...a quick wiki says we are owned by four companies, which in turn are owned by three people.

One of those people seems keen of using the club as some kind of foot in the door for various Thai foodstuffs, including an energy drink and something called eurocake, neither of which are even available here, I believe. Plenty of adverts for Singha beer at the ground too. I've never seen that in the UK either.

Reading's mauve/pink away kit was clearly meant to the purple of Thai Airway, the "away kit" sponsor, before someone pointed out it wouldn't be different enough from blue.

At the moment it does seem positive, apart from disquiet about losing even more parking spaces if a planned redevelopment of housing/shops goes through on club land. A lot of fans are skeptical though, and aren't happy being under foreign ownership. That's the problem with the game today. When Reading were bought by Madejski, way back in 1990, £1 million was considered a serious debt, meaning there we many businessmen capable of stepping in to buy clubs. When clubs have debts of £30 million (and often more) the number of potential buyers diminishes*.

Then again, it all seemed positive with Anton Zingarevich at first, being owned by someone who grew up in the area and supposedly even stood on the terraces at Elm Park in his youth. Maybe everyone was blinded by his rather stunning wife. She got pregnant, and they both went back to Russia and never came back, and didn't pay about £30 million that he owed.

* that's actually something I'd worry about for Walsall. You could go up, average 10,000 and come back down. Suddenly you have a team on three year deals that need 10,000 to break even, and crowds are back down to 5000.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season