Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (H) League One 23rd Jan, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (H) League One 23rd Jan, 3pm

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Well I left the pub at 4.53pm thinking Walsall had held on and claimed a hard fought 1 nil and gone top as news of Shrewsbury scoring at Burton had just come up.....so a bit of a shock to be informed of the goal after getting in 20 minutes later. :roll:

Can anyone tell me why league one games find it so hard to start dead on 3pm? As all the premier league games have finished by 4.50pm and still there was on sniff of Blackpool's equaliser on Soccer Saturday?

Anyway bad 2 points to drop that particularly with Burton losing and Wigan drawing.

Like a broken record I can't help thinking a new player or two to freshen things up is what is needed.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:37 pm

Andy Taylor hang your head in shame. What an absolutely ridiculous shot at 1-0 up with a couple of minutes remaining! If we had kept possession we'd be top of the league. Should have kept Sawyers on too.

Still trying to work out how we lost it.

Blackpool are a cack team with even cacker fans. fudge them. I hope Oyston runs them into the ground. Lucky barstewerds

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Forgot to mention. Rico was outstanding. What a player

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Fuming.

Whilst we probably did not actually do enough to win that game, we should have seen it out.

The substitutions were outrageous. Sawyers was absolutely running that game then he took him off !!!!

Lo and behold we couldnt hold the ball up.

Taylor should be shot for that pathetic shot to give the ball back to them. Idiot. All we had to do was keep the efffing ball.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:54 pm

The bloke who rang BBC WM and stated that was a good 1-1 I'll have a few bumps of whatever you're on mate.

It would've been a poor 1-0 let alone that...Fuming.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:55 pm

moaning saddler wrote:Totally unprofessional play by Taylor needlessly gifted possession to Blackpool - one minute later they equalised.
Blackpool were there for the taking in the second half - offering virtually nothing in attack.
Substitutions were baffling.

Substitutions were surely just time wasting/attempt to kill game by SO'D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:Totally unprofessional play by Taylor needlessly gifted possession to Blackpool - one minute later they equalised.
Blackpool were there for the taking in the second half - offering virtually nothing in attack.

But you don't take off the two players who are controlling the game!

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:59 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:

He killed the game alright.

The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:04 pm

I said a couple of months ago that home form is the key to our season.

Unfortunately today's performance wasn't good enough against a limited team.

Two good saves from their keeper kept them in it, but too often we fell into the mode of trying to walk the ball in.

We have to be more clinical.

Sawyers isn't currently performing at the highest standards he has set this season; starting to unnecessarily flick it in hope at times, rather than control and pass with purpose. Still playing quite well, but we probably need him to step up again.

Special mention for Forde who played very well.

Poor defensive positioning led to conceding the free kick that resulted in their goal.

We have dropped too many points at home, but as long as points keep coming away it's not as big an issue as it might be.

Although I didn't appreciate it at the time, the defeat to Rochdale was more palatable than the loss of points today, because Rochdale did a complete job on us, whereas Blackpool didn't really do anything.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:08 pm

SOD must take full responsibility for losing those 2 points that would have put us top tonight.
What ridiculous substitutions.
He took off our 3 best players for gods sake! All 3 who would have been capable of keeping the ball in the oppositions half.
Why don't reporters ask those kinds of questions when they are interviewed?

He has done a lot of good since his appointment but not today I'm afraid.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:10 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

But you don't take off the two players who are controlling the game!

Yeah I see your point, but they were all late in the game. I think the idea was we just shut up shop and take the 1-0.

Sadly it didn't work out that way. :(

Bee_Leevers
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Obviously a blow to concede a very fortunate stoppage time goal. Thought we were slow to get going, but had enough chances to see the game out.

As for the negativity around the ground?? What on earth!? To the woman and the bloke in the high vis jacket say in the middle tier.. Are you on crack? Constantly throwing arms around and complaining about Sawyers? Yes he had a bad spell in the game where he showed a few tired passes, but I seriously want to know what they have been smoking!?

I feel sorry for people like that how dumb we are, if you're reading please don't come back! I wouldn't be surprised if you were both still stumbling around trying to remember where you lived though.. Let alone use a computer.

We have still gained a point on Burton thanks to he sloppies and Cov got a spanking so not a bad day at the office on the whole!

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Listening to Our Managers post match interview he was delighted with the result and thought the lads did well? Due to illness I missed the match so wondered what regular UTSers make of this comment?

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Gutted by the last minute equaliser, but not sure we did enough to win.

4 points from two games is decent return, as always, especially if the next game we get a result.

Just listened to O'Driscoll on WM who said the players were excellent, and coped well with the challenge of Blackpool. His opinion won't be changed by a last minute fortunate goal.

Well, not sure what to make of that. Because all I saw was an opposition that offered very little other than when we gifted them possession. I thought he may actually have taken the blame.

We were naive today. Not finishing Blackpool off, and the removing of our three 'outlet' players must go down as our manager's firsts tactical faux pas.

4/6 points from Fleetwood & Doncaster please, and all will be forgotten.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:17 pm

As much as I like S O'D "delighted" with the results is a bonkers thing to say when you're what a minute from winning at home to a bottom 4 team.

This is a poor result, just hope it won't be crucial in May but to me this was one of the banker 10 wins I think will be enough to get top 2.

Can only hope for better at Fleetwood.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Bee_Leevers wrote:Obviously a blow to concede a very fortunate stoppage time goal. Thought we were slow to get going, but had enough chances to see the game out.

As for the negativity around the ground?? What on earth!? To the woman and the bloke in the high vis jacket say in the middle tier.. Are you on crack? Constantly throwing arms around and complaining about Sawyers? Yes he had a bad spell in the game where he showed a few tired passes, but I seriously want to know what they have been smoking!?

I feel sorry for people like that how dumb we are, if you're reading please don't come back! I wouldn't be surprised if you were both still stumbling around trying to remember where you lived though.. Let alone use a computer.

We have still gained a point on Burton thanks to he sloppies and Cov got a spanking so not a bad day at the office on the whole!

:x It's true. Only Walsall could go top of the league and have a negative atmosphere. Unbelievable.

If we have a whip around do you think we can bribe those people not to come back?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:36 pm

If I am to be honest I don't think we can have to many complaints first half was woeful with Blackpool doing most of the probing and creating a few good chances.

Yes we picked it up 2nd half but I never felt that we looked like scoring with most of our attempts being shots from distance.

squad is looking really bare at the moment and we certainly lack a plan B.

Anyway all was not lost with Burton and the chasing pack slipping up, we may still be top come Tuesday night :D

UTS!!

BESCOTIAN

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

m&m wrote:SOD must take full responsibility for losing those 2 points that would have put us top tonight.
He took off our 3 best players for gods sake! All 3 who would have been capable of keeping the ball in the oppositions half.

+1 subs changed the game we looked comfortable up to that point

Onwards and upwards though

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:43 pm

BESCOTIAN wrote:
m&m wrote:SOD must take full responsibility for losing those 2 points that would have put us top tonight.

+1 subs changed the game we looked comfortable up to that point

Onwards and upwards though

I understand the frustration over the subs but let's be honest it was a hopeful hoof down the pitch we should of defended it with ease?

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:44 pm

Disappointed to drop two points in such a fashion but I'm not going to put my head in the gas oven just yet!

Most frustrating of all was that the extra time added on, in addition to the time for the substitutions, was largely due to Blackpool dragging their feet and time-wasting earlier on.

Sawyers didn't have one of his best games, he seemed to be playing in a 4th dimension sometimes, but I'm not going to knock him; there isn't a team in this league that he wouldn't improve nor many in the league above. I have to say that I think he links up well with Lalkovich, so when they aren't on the pitch together we don't always get the best from either of them.

First half I thought was pretty even with Blackpool having the best of the first fifteen but we defended very well. When Demetriou scored I was very relieved as I couldn't see where a goal was coming from, but after that we battered them for most of the rest of the game. I'm sure the free kick was warranted because of Downing's foul but it was disappointing to concede in such a fashion.
We have three matches in the next nine days so S O'D will be looking to keep players rested as much as possible so I think it was reasonable to make the changes that he did. Sometimes it goes to plan,on occasions such as today, it doesn't.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:45 pm

I don't know how many of the posters with negative comments went to the game or how many went to Blackpool.

However, this Blackpool team look useful now and so different to the team we beat 4-0. At times they looked a handful but some of the Saddlers play was unbelievable. The individual moves, the passes and the sheer quality of play was a pleasure to watch and just seems to get better and better.

Anyone still with doubts about Sawyers should follow a different sport like darts for instance. I am of course disappointed with the result as their keeper made two incredible saves which is why they were able to equalise, but if anyone thinks Walsall did not play well they must be just looking at the result and not watching the game.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:58 pm

disappointed at that. we had about 60-70% of possession. but again we seem to be trying to walk the ball in.we have changed manager but still seem to be playing tippy tappy football :( . and again we have struggled to get a descent result against a very physical but poor team. when you are 1-0 up with a few mins to go you KEEP the ball.we seem to have learned nothing from the game where forde gave the ball away a few games ago from a corner.straight into the keeper and they scored.can't remember now who it was?. but this team need to be a bit more streetwise. must give a mention to chambers today he was fantastic. forde had a good game and so did henry.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Totally agree. fudge bonkers.

Felt like I'd been mugged coming out the ground. Still steaming now.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:04 pm

First of all a factual point...SOD did not say he was delighted with the result ..he said he was delighted with the performance. As for the substitutions don't forget we have another 3 games in the next 10 days. SOD obviously thought after Blackpool's performance in the second half that they didn't pose a threat! I must admit I felt the same,however we were caught square at the back and Downing committed a foul which resulted in the free kick which fell kindly for the Blackpool striker. A very unfortunate way to lose 2 points...anyway lets hope we can continue our good away form over the next week and a half.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:09 pm

Walsallone wrote:First of all a factual point...SOD did not say he was delighted with the result ..he said he was delighted with the performance. As for the substitutions don't forget we have another 3 games in the next 10 days. SOD obviously thought after Blackpool's performance in the second half that they didn't pose a threat! I must admit I felt the same,however we were caught square at the back and Downing committed a foul which resulted in the free kick which fell kindly for the Blackpool striker. A very unfortunate way to lose 2 points...anyway lets hope we can continue our good away form over the next week and a half.

The first substitution was on 86 minutes.

It wasn't unfortunate it was piss poor management.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:19 pm

All those subs added to the injury time as 5 minutes seems very generous for a game that only had 1 goal and seemingly no major injury delays.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:21 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:All those subs added to the injury time as 5 minutes seems very generous for a game that only had 1 goal and seemingly no major injury delays.

What about the clash of heads?? That had to be 2-3 minute stoppage

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:23 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:All those subs added to the injury time as 5 minutes seems very generous for a game that only had 1 goal and seemingly no major injury delays.

What about the clash of heads?? That had to be 2-3 minute stoppage

I didn't go.

Sorry.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm gutted, but some of the overreaction on here is bordering laughable.

Blackpool didn't offer a lot, but at the same time I thought Redshaw gave our back four a bit of a runaround in the first half. No, Etheridge didn't have any saves to make, but they were far from the relegation certainties they probably looked like back in August.

We then came out in the second half having clearly been told to raise the tempo and bossed the game. Henry, Sawyers, and Forde were all excellent - as was Demetriou who very nearly got himself another goal. I can see why SO'D says he was happy with the performance - what else is he supposed to say?

We play a really open style of football, which means we're always susceptible to conceding late goals - just as we're likely to score them. Today's was a bit of a sickener, but let's not forget the late goals we've scored - and the points we've gained - by playing the way we do right until the end. I'm not saying we shouldn't stick it in the corner and run down the clock now and again, but people are making the late goal we conceded today sound like some sort of epidemic.

Two wins from the next three games and we've hit the manager's target of 10 points for each five game block. Still do-able.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:00 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I'm gutted, but some of the overreaction on here is bordering laughable.

Blackpool didn't offer a lot, but at the same time I thought Redshaw gave our back four a bit of a runaround in the first half. No, Etheridge didn't have any saves to make, but they were far from the relegation certainties they probably looked like back in August.

We then came out in the second half having clearly been told to raise the tempo and bossed the game. Henry, Sawyers, and Forde were all excellent - as was Demetriou who very nearly got himself another goal. I can see why SO'D says he was happy with the performance - what else is he supposed to say?

We play a really open style of football, which means we're always susceptible to conceding late goals - just as we're likely to score them. Today's was a bit of a sickener, but let's not forget the late goals we've scored - and the points we've gained - by playing the way we do right until the end. I'm not saying we shouldn't stick it in the corner and run down the clock now and again, but people are making the late goal we conceded today sound like some sort of epidemic.

Two wins from the next three games and we've hit the manager's target of 10 points for each five game block. Still do-able.

1. Agree the overreaction is just silly, 1 point off 2nd with a game in hand and only 19 games to go :roll:

2. He made one good save in the 2nd half

Just to add about the stoppage time, 6 substitutions = 3 mins 1 goal = 30 seconds and the clash of heads would have added at least a minute, also they scored around 2'30 seconds into stoppage time so no idea what the moaning is about.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season