Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Blackpool (H) League One 23rd Jan, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Blackpool (H) League One 23rd Jan, 3pm

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:04 pm

WFC_Rob wrote: No, Etheridge didn't have any saves to make

He made two to keep us in the game?

Blackpool created two of the best chances of the game.

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:27 pm

No doubt about it, the late goal felt like a real blow and the frustration felt by all was obvious.. Bloke next to us nearly booted the seat of its hinges!

I still feel we should have won the game but on reflection you could argue that their are both negatives and positives from the performance..

Positives were:

1. Superb performance from Rico - very impressive for any scouts in attendance!
2. Good showing from Jason (who could easily have had a second goal..)
3. I thought Tom did well today (operating solo up front against a stern defence for long periods isnt easy)
4. Neil Etheridge made a couple of quality stops (little else to do tho so credit to the defence generally)

Negatives:

1. Mantom looks totally out of sorts.. Absent for long periods of the game and quite wasteful in possession
2. No idea why Andy Taylor's (game management as the coaches call it) went out of the window in added time - effectively mistakes cost teams and he was the trigger to them getting the goal.
3. I know this is gonna get blasted by some on here but Romaine is losing his quality touch more as each game comes along - I know he controls things and does it well but he's developed a knack of far too many silly flick ons that mostly don't come off. Also, is he banned from shooting??
4. Really don't want to complain about SoD as I think in general he's done very well since he arrived but I do feel today he took 3 of our playmakers out of the game in a short period of multiple substitutions and it surely must have spurred them on to get at us..

All that said - another point and still knocking on the door of top spot.. A win v Fleetwood and another Burton loss will see us top in the week :wink:

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Having booked a holiday during the 2nd & 3rd weeks in May, which on reflection was bonkers, at full time I was overjoyed, a 1-0 win with some of our opposition faltering, I wouldn't need to be worried about Play Off's we will go up auto....then look what happened!
Bad day at the office all right, we should be finishing off the likes of Blackpool with ease, suddenly from top of the table we are 3rd. From what has been said on here SOD made some strange decisions, the jury is still out on this guy. As someone mentioned above, we have not been at our best for a while now, Fleetwood is deffo a must win game, and the team has to remember to score goals again. See you all there, lets keep supporting 'em and keep the faith, I want to see us promoted to the Championship before I cark! :mrgreen:
UTS always

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:37 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
m&m wrote:SOD must take full responsibility for losing those 2 points that would have put us top tonight.
What ridiculous substitutions.
He took off our 3 best players for gods sake! All 3 who would have been capable of keeping the ball in the oppositions half.
Why don't reporters ask those kinds of questions when they are interviewed?

He has done a lot of good since his appointment but not today I'm afraid.

Totally agree. fudge bonkers.

Felt like I'd been mugged coming out the ground. Still steaming now.
well i hope you have a good sunday lunch then or you will be pissed off :lol:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:45 pm

A game where we lost two points and chance to go top again but not unexpected. no easy games if you expect teams even in bottom positions to come and let us roll over and win 3-0 or 4-0 again today should show that's not going to happen who would have predicted shrewsbury winning at burton same thing

First half had most of play with passing going nowhere and creating no chances with players reluctent to shoot . Blackpool when they did get ball were more direct and not afraid to shoot lucky they were poor.

Second half when finally took lead should have pressed home advantage. In added time when needed to keep ball and pass it around decided to have wild shots one which led to breakaway and free kick.

Late subs poor taking our main attacking threats out of game, can understand why with fleetwood game soon but did cost us the win.

If this is classed as a negative post I would say it's just my honest view of the game and think we will have more like this as season goes but still think we have got enough to make playoffs and still enjoying time at top instead of usual struggle at bottom.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Subs were shite... a key part of defending a lead is keeping the ball and getting it as far away from your goal as possible.

Romaine and Rico give you that.

If you're winning 1-0 keep your best players on.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Late subs drive me mad. It doesn't run the clock down it adds time and we weren't saving legs that late in the game were we. ?? It was comfortable . Leave it well alone. See the game out. Learn from it please .
Up the Saddlers forever.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:41 pm

latviancheese wrote:

I meant in the first half. Regardless, we played reasonably well and they weren't the mugs I think a few of our fans thought they might be.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:53 pm

One point I would make is that I thought the two relatively early bookings for Taylor and Chambers affected us that bit more than they probably should have. Taylor looked a bit more shaky than usual with a booking to his name (understandably so), and Chambers plays in the kind of role where backing out of a tackle can prove really costly. Despite that, both players stayed on. Personally, I'd have replaced Taylor with Lalkovic and dropped Henry in at left back with about 15 minutes to go. The Chambers situation just showed how paper think our midfield could look now Evans has gone.

SWS1

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Ah, it appears I'm not alone in tuning in to Gillette Soccer Saturday to hear confirmation of our return to the top, only to see going through the teleprinter thingy a FOO-KIN GOAL for FOO-KIN Blackpool. Real kick in the ghoulies.
I know, I know. Not lost again. Great undefeated run. Third in the League. Got a game in hand of someone. Best season for, er, seasons, best team for, er, a long time etc etc blah, blah, foo-kin blah.
I've got SO MUCH to be thankful for and yet, somehow, I feel sh-it.
Funny old world.
Glass down me front. :(

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:31 pm

Blackpool were there for the taking today, the only time they got possession was when we passed the ball to them. First half we were poor, trying to walk the ball into the net. Second half we were better but once we got the lead after a period of sustained pressure and three good saves from their keeper we looked like we thought we had the game won and the substitutions stank of complacency. The Taylor shot on 92 minutes was utterly bonkers.

Make no mistake, we gave two points away today, Blackpool didn't win a point and the manager takes a share of the blame, but tried to put a brave face on it in his interview. Onwards and upwards. Let's hope we have a big turn out next week at Reading.

PS - Just watched the highlights and the defending for their goal was probably a touch below under 8 level. Why the **** was their goal scorer left completely unmarked?
Last edited by aaaae on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:43 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Having booked a holiday during the 2nd & 3rd weeks in May, which on reflection was bonkers, at full time I was overjoyed, a 1-0 win with some of our opposition faltering, I wouldn't need to be worried about Play Off's we will go up auto....then look what happened!
Bad day at the office all right, we should be finishing off the likes of Blackpool with ease, suddenly from top of the table we are 3rd. From what has been said on here SOD made some strange decisions, the jury is still out on this guy. As someone mentioned above, we have not been at our best for a while now, Fleetwood is deffo a must win game, and the team has to remember to score goals again. See you all there, lets keep supporting 'em and keep the faith, I want to see us promoted to the Championship before I cark! :mrgreen:
UTS always
same here AM we have booked the 8th may for 2 weeks :( . i didn't realize that we had changed the port vile game until then??? and if we are in the play off's we will be in tenerife :(

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:02 am

I swear they just make the names up!
It was Roman Saunders last season!

UTS Legend

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:06 am

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:21 am

Just watched their goal from behind the sofa - just WTF was our Cypriot International doing????!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:20 am

Bee_Leevers wrote:Obviously a blow to concede a very fortunate stoppage time goal. Thought we were slow to get going, but had enough chances to see the game out.

As for the negativity around the ground?? What on earth!? To the woman and the bloke in the high vis jacket say in the middle tier.. Are you on crack? Constantly throwing arms around and complaining about Sawyers? Yes he had a bad spell in the game where he showed a few tired passes, but I seriously want to know what they have been smoking!?

I feel sorry for people like that how dumb we are, if you're reading please don't come back! I wouldn't be surprised if you were both still stumbling around trying to remember where you lived though.. Let alone use a computer.

We have still gained a point on Burton thanks to he sloppies and Cov got a spanking so not a bad day at the office on the whole!

I feel sorry for people like you,who think yours is the definitive version of any match and anyone else isn't allowed to voice an opinion.As for calling people "dumb" who disagree with your opinion....well what's it like up there on your sanctimonious cloud?

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:39 am

Oh well, put it right on Tuesday! We haven't got hammered or outplayed so no need to panic.

I just wanted to raise the performance of Sam Mantom. He was a loss last season given his performances in the season before. Coming back this season it felt like having a new signing, but for me he just doesn't look the same player. Today he coasted through the game offering very little offensively or defensively. He had a spell at the start of the season where I thought he was returning to his usual marauding self but he isn't offering enough. Injuries taking there toll? Losing Evans we need Sam back to his best so I hope his performance levels pick up.

LeeWfc

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:16 pm

Sawyer's didn't have a great game yesterday but to blame him every time something went wrong is ridiculous! There was a woman a couple of rows in front of me and she was swearing like crazy about him. Really got annoying. The singers at the back of the upper tier soon shut her up though. Quite funny. This team are playing well and we really need to back them not start playing blame games when it goes wrong. We play better with confidence! UTS

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:22 pm

Blackpool are probably the worst team to have played here this season and we couldn't beat them.

That's all you need to know really.

I thought Taylor had a good game and if his shot at the end would have found the top corner, possibly MoM along with Henry.

Sawyers missed too many passes and didn't compete for the ball enough; if he had been Flannagan he would have been torn to ribbons by certain posters on here.

Etheridge takes far too long with his kicks. He needs to understand that we cannot score while he is holding the ball. Unless of cause, we are one nil up with a few minutes to go.

Bradshaw looked lost and never had a ball played to him which gave him a chance of scoring. What's the point of having a decent striker on the pitch if you don't play to his strengths?

Mantom looked half a sleep for some of the game.

Nice to see the goal came about after a pass by one full back to the other.

In answer to Moanings question regarding Demetrious presence during the free kick, he blocked the initial shot. He was told to stand where he did by whoever marshalled the defence.

With hindsight, O'Driscoll should have either made the subs earlier or not at all. I think his rationale was based on holding out for the win by sitting back and firing the ball up field to Milan and Morris, hoping to catch Blackpool on the break. I expect Henry was replaced by Preston because he anticipated that Blackpool would launch high balls into the box for the last couple of minutes considering their substitutions.

We were the better team and should have won but hey, this is football.

I suspect that Brewers fans were pissed off along with all the other teams around us apart from Gillingham. They'll be licking their wounds too.

Edge of the seat stuff indeed; this is turning into a cracking season. :D

deldras
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Just watched the highlights and the defending for their goal was probably a touch below under 8 level. Why the **** was their goal scorer left completely unmarked?

Why?......in part because the wall was not set up in the right place.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:21 pm

did anyone see the group of blackpool fans at the back of the saddlers club after the game? they were surrounded by police officers. just wondered if they had been arrested and waiting to be carted off to the police station? or would they have been put back on the coach?. how can you get arrested inside a football stadium. it must have been something silly or drink related :roll:

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:22 pm

deldras wrote:
Just watched the highlights and the defending for their goal was probably a touch below under 8 level. Why the **** was their goal scorer left completely unmarked?

The wall has nothing to do with marking attacking players. You set up the wall and independently you mark every single opposition player.

Their attitude on that free kick seemed to be "he is standing near the wall so we don't need to mark him". Schoolboy football. In fact that's an insult to schoolboys.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:56 pm

aaaae wrote:
deldras wrote:

The wall has nothing to do with marking attacking players. You set up the wall and independently you mark every single opposition player.

Their attitude on that free kick seemed to be "he is standing near the wall so we don't need to mark him". Schoolboy football. In fact that's an insult to schoolboys.

The School boy errors were made way before the free kick! It was an aimless boot down the pitch and we lost the first ball and didn't pick up the flick on. We need to be a lot more aggressive in these situations.

aaaae
Site Addict

Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
aaaae wrote:
deldras wrote:

The School boy errors were made way before the free kick! It was an aimless boot down the pitch and we lost the first ball and didn't pick up the flick on. We need to be a lot more aggressive in these situations.

Well that's true too.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:46 pm

moaning saddler wrote:Just watched their goal from behind the sofa - just WTF was our Cypriot International doing????!

My eyes may be deceiving me, but it looks as if he turns his back on the ball and jumps - it just looks extremely odd.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:45 pm

chunkster wrote:did anyone see the group of blackpool fans at the back of the saddlers club after the game? they were surrounded by police officers. just wondered if they had been arrested and waiting to be carted off to the police station? or would they have been put back on the coach?. how can you get arrested inside a football stadium. it must have been something silly or drink related :roll:

I think that it might have had something to do with the Oyston protests. This from the Blackpool site that suggests that police and stewards were on the lookout for 'trouble'. This is shameful if true - whatever happened to free speech?

BANDAGEM (AVFTT Board):

'I inadvertently got in the wrong end today. Whilst waiting to get in the OFC (Oyston FC - that's what Blackpool fans call their club) end I was watching it kick off with the banners. The main steward came up to me and I said please don't be heavy handed with fans they are trying save the business (what little is left). His reply was... and I am not changing one word here......
"We have had a directive from the FA (why FA and not FL?) to stop any Oyston Out stuff in the ground." ....'

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:17 pm

chunkster wrote:did anyone see the group of blackpool fans at the back of the saddlers club after the game? they were surrounded by police officers. just wondered if they had been arrested and waiting to be carted off to the police station? or would they have been put back on the coach?. how can you get arrested inside a football stadium. it must have been something silly or drink related :roll:

They are walsall fans the new generation of the syc swift young casuals, bunch of idiots really :lol:

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:42 pm

aaaae wrote:
deldras wrote:

Ahem! If you have 5/6 players in the wall that's 5/6 of their players you can't mark.

Schoolboy maths :oops: :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
latviancheese wrote:

I meant in the first half. Regardless, we played reasonably well and they weren't the mugs I think a few of our fans thought they might be.

No, they always had a threat on the counter

That Redshaw is a tidy little player.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season