Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League One, 16 Jan, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
UTS Legend

Re: Bury (A) League One, 16 Jan, 3pm

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:06 pm

sallian wrote:
Guest wrote:(In response to Sallian)

Perhaps winning this game will give us more confidence, not less.

Yes maybe, hopefully, God Willing.

Are we playing better under O'Driscoll than Smith though?

I don't know. I've only seen us play under Smith in the last five years. We seem to be letting in more goals now, but scoring more - and we're not just relying on Tom. I mean, would Hussey have scored if DS had been in charge?

Next game for me - Colchester at home, if my flight from Hong Kong gets into BHX on time.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Just got back........phew talk about a game of two halves!!!!!

First half we were all over 'em, seemed as though every time we attacked we scored. It really was a fabulous half, they played some of the best attacking football I have seen for years.

Then regrettably the second half started...Bury must have had one hell of a 'talking too' at half time.
They came out and marmalised us, non stop, if we got into their half 6 times in the second half it would perhaps be an exaggeration. EWhen we did our attacks fizzled out...usually at the feet of Sawyers....sorry mate you had a mare that second half.

They outfought us, outplayed us, and it looked as if 3-3 at a minimum was on the cards.
The subs were a gigantic mistake, once Rico went off our attacking threat ceased immediately.

Overall a hard won three points that will be vital come the end of April.

And fair play to the kiddies home support, once the second half started they enjoyed a party, the likes of which very few of us have ever seen. Good on yer.

SWS1

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Do we have to (respond to sallian, that is)? :( My heart sinks every time I see that childish avatar, and I usually pass by quickly.
Now to the good bit: we won and, once again, showed the character of the team when under enormous pressure :D GOOD ON YER!! :D
Mind you, it's just not good for the nerves. :shock: Strangely enough, I'd have preferred a 3 - 0 win, don't know why :?
But we're second, and it's well past half the season gone :D
UTS! Excelsior!! :D

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:54 pm

SWS1 wrote:

Do we have to (respond to sallian, that is)? :( My heart sinks every time I see that childish avatar, and I usually pass by quickly.
Now to the good bit: we won and, once again, showed the character of the team when under enormous pressure :D GOOD ON YER!! :D
Mind you, it's just not good for the nerves. :shock: Strangely enough, I'd have preferred a 3 - 0 win, don't know why :?

I tried to spare some people's feelings by not quoting him.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:04 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:Crewe lost 4-3 at Swindon after being 3-1 up....that could easily be us

We're doomed....we're doomed..... will you either have a word with yourself or take higher doses of whatever medication you're on.
Not sure he(??) would even be happy if our Won-Drawn-Lost stats were currently 26-0-0 with 8,000 goals scored and 0 conceded.!!

These discussions are very fruitful because their content is always firmly grounded in reality

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:08 pm

SWS1 wrote:

what kind of inadequate sissies keep having to complain about other people replying to someone else.....I guess you were one of those asking for Tyson Fury to be removed from the irrelevant and bankrupt...BBC sports personality (void) of the year....who forever cry about anyone not promoting certain views they like (as though they were always intrinsic to the cultural and genetic fabric of Britain) but are totally silent about mass murder...and the 'celebrities' who directly cheer-lead all of that.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:11 pm

Guest wrote:
sallian wrote:

Yes maybe, hopefully, God Willing.

Are we playing better under O'Driscoll than Smith though?

I don't know. I've only seen us play under Smith in the last five years. We seem to be letting in more goals now, but scoring more - and we're not just relying on Tom. I mean, would Hussey have scored if DS had been in charge?

Next game for me - Colchester at home, if my flight from Hong Kong gets into BHX on time.

SOD seems more tactically flexible and savvy than Smith but I'm not sure about overall play though...in terms of defensive organization and flowing possession football

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:18 pm

8 wins for playoffs and 13 for automatic out of 20 games. That's what it looks like to me. Terrific result today!! UTS!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:29 pm

3-0 up you would like to think its easy to cruise to victory, but Bury have some proven players for this level.

It was massive for us to hold on, a fantastic result when you take into consideration results of others around us.

Once again, this team has bounced back from a dissapointment in the best possible fashion. Caned by Rochdale and it looked like the players had empty tanks. Well, clearly not.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:45 pm

Phew.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:8 wins for playoffs and 13 for automatic out of 20 games. That's what it looks like to me. Terrific result today!! UTS!!

I think anything over 80 points gets you automatic promotion this season. Gillingham and Coventy are starting to finally fall away now.

Yes Wigan are a big danger but they've been on a good run for a while so are due to drop some points soon, plus they still have to win about 12 games just to get to 80 points I think.

Great win today just.....have to say looking at the match record I'm staggered Bury didn't bring on Pope until 88 mins...did Flitcroft not realise he's a goal a game v Walsall.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:46 pm

I thought I had "blocked" SALLION but he keeps appearing but I am past bothering. This team does the talking for me...only one defeat away from home ..what a record.
Very disappointed with Man City withdrawing Evans on a match day...I know that it is always difficult with loan players but I think we deserved better than that.Anyway lets hope for some reinforcements in the coming week.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:04 pm

sallian wrote:
IHTC. wrote:
sallian wrote:Crewe lost 4-3 at Swindon after being 3-1 up....that could easily be us

But it wasn't and we won 3-2 so be happy ya miserable cretin

I don't know, the way we struggled to hold on to a 3-0 lead has exposed the omens of doubt again....maybe we are just pretenders having a fortunate run before the inevitable happens

And yet you go on and on and on about how amazing Gillingham are....well they lost a 2 goal lead at Bescot, a 2 goal lead at Wigan last week and again today so if any of them need a trip to a mental hospital it's that lot.

Anything to say or are you too busy in Kent organising their losing play off final parade? :roll:

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:07 pm

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Heard horrible things about parking at Bury and I remember it being a pain a few years ago, but got there nice and early today and the first street we turned down had plenty :D

First half we were incredible, Forde's goal was fantastic and the entire team just looked like scoring from every counter attack.

Second half was eerily similar to the performance at Colchester - we got a good lead early on, and then our minds go, concede one, concede two and then start panicking and making mistakes. Fortunately the Colchester result didn't happen.

Sawyers was excellent first half but didn't look up for it whatsoever second half, spent his time watching Chambers and Mantom run around trying to cover for him as he walked back whilst they attacked. Don't think he liked the snow much, should of gone off earlier for Kinsella or Preston for me.

Still, excellent result especially considering the circumstances. Huge 3 points.

fudge cold though.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Good hard won 3 points in a game of two halves, had visions of another game like colchester but managed to hang on.

Best decision of the day to keep pope on bench until too late to score his normal goal against us.

Every game is going to be hard now wether against top or bottom and will have to grind out more results like today to get promotion.

Good news we have passed the magic 50 points and will not get relegated, first goal reached now for second , playoffs.

mister marmite
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Probably about the right time to pass the first comments on the new manager.

Bolder than Smith yes
More flexible in systems and selections yes.

We seem to be a bit more wasteful- but I guess that comes with the being bold.
Do we focus as much on stopping the opposition I'm guessing not.

Big positives ... The character of this team when the going gets tough and quality in key areas.

The big concerns ... When other sides suss us out ... Rochdale, P'Boro after a while and Bury 2nd half ... When we are pressed and put under pressure at the back we look vulnerable - Downing has his positives but dealing with a rough and ready front man he looks a weak link.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:26 pm

latviancheese wrote:3-0 up you would like to think its easy to cruise to victory, but Bury have some proven players for this level.

It was massive for us to hold on, a fantastic result when you take into consideration results of others around us.

Once again, this team has bounced back from a dissapointment in the best possible fashion. Caned by Rochdale and it looked like the players had empty tanks. Well, clearly not.

Despite having a good team, good spirit and seemingly competent manager, I expect every game to be difficult, I think the conditions may have had something to do with it

SWS1

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 pm

We still seem pull out our best performances against the better teams; I know Bury ain't bad but Swindon and Crewe - well :? and, according to the lucky ones there, Rochdale looked class against us - which they clearly ain't... :?
Puzzled. :?
But, of course, still on cloud eight-and-a-half :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :)

UTS Legend

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:04 am

Nice to hear the Saddlers described as 'probably the best footballing side in the division'.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 am

Never in doubt.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:10 am

PS. Special mention to Bury's over active commercial department. Half time oranges sponsored by the Spar on Manchester Road.

Whallet taught them all they know.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Never in doubt.

I agree. I'm always amazed what people see at some of our games, in particular away, when it is obvious that we are the better team. The players never look flustered or panicky, they work as a team, together at all times and the confidence is apparent in the way we continue to play. This group of players are probably the closest we have had in many years and credit must go to the entire management structure set up over the last five years. Despite the two quick goals scored against us yesterday, I and others always felt that we could score again, we made more than enough chances in the second half and I suppose that the conditions favoured Bury's more robust game and they got a bonus second goal from an uncharacteristic spill from Etheridge.
We were the better team on Tuesday against Coventry and very nearly won the game at the end, from what I've seen this season the only reason they continue to do well is down to the money they are prepared to spend on their sqaud and loan players, nothing particular amazing about a Mowbury team reliant on better players rather than tactics.
It's a pity that more Walsall people can't be bothered to support their team, same old faces year in year out at away games in particular this season when the team are clearly playing so well............600 hundred fans is quite frankly pathetic considering our position.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:31 am

We can count ourselves very lucky the Bury finishing was poor. A few changes in the first half and the parry into that path of their player in the second half meant in reality it should've been even closer.

Was glad to escape with three points, after when it seemed at half time that any less than 5-0 would've been dissapointing. They weren't amazing in the second half they just adapted to the conditions in a better fashion. They played some great stuff mind so were good value for their two goals.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:08 am

Cully wrote:

I agree. I'm always amazed what people see at some of our games, in particular away, when it is obvious that we are the better team. The players never look flustered or panicky, they work as a team, together at all times and the confidence is apparent in the way we continue to play. This group of players are probably the closest we have had in many years and credit must go to the entire management structure set up over the last five years. Despite the two quick goals scored against us yesterday, I and others always felt that we could score again, we made more than enough chances in the second half and I suppose that the conditions favoured Bury's more robust game and they got a bonus second goal from an uncharacteristic spill from Etheridge.
We were the better team on Tuesday against Coventry and very nearly won the game at the end, from what I've seen this season the only reason they continue to do well is down to the money they are prepared to spend on their sqaud and loan players, nothing particular amazing about a Mowbury team reliant on better players rather than tactics.
It's a pity that more Walsall people can't be bothered to support their team, same old faces year in year out at away games in particular this season when the team are clearly playing so well............600 hundred fans is quite frankly pathetic considering our position.

Agree, same old faces, year in year out, we all know each other by now!!
But pathetic away following? Not really when you consider it was 0 degrees, and the match was on/off/on/off all morning, little wonder more didn't make the journey, however I agree that ONE coach makes it look very poor. A bit like the home crowd, (apart from the kiddies section that kept us amused throughout the second half) was as apathetic is the Bezza!
Our end went very quiet indeed during that second half blitz, all 5 goals at the other end, by the end of the match I had forgotten what our players looked like! :mrgreen:

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:24 am

Cully wrote:

Great post Cully.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 am

Gripper wrote:We can count ourselves very lucky the Bury finishing was poor. A few changes in the first half and the parry into that path of their player in the second half meant in reality it should've been even closer.

Was glad to escape with three points, after when it seemed at half time that any less than 5-0 would've been dissapointing. They weren't amazing in the second half they just adapted to the conditions in a better fashion. They played some great stuff mind so were good value for their two goals.

I was also glad to just get the 3 points mainly because I thought we were tiring a bit at the end (understandable after 2 hard away games this week). But we had just as many chances in the 2nd half if not more than Bury. We were deserved winners. Let's not take negatives from what's been a fantastic week.

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Spot on there Cully. Hopefully more will come if we carry on with the cup exploits and as we get towards the business end of the season.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Cully wrote:It's a pity that more Walsall people can't be bothered to support their team, same old faces year in year out at away games in particular this season when the team are clearly playing so well............600 hundred fans is quite frankly pathetic considering our position.

I think 600 hundred fans would be brilliant - we'd need a much bigger stadium!! :wink:

Seriously though, I was impressed with the numbers we had there yesterday and we're much more lively than the 3000 bury fans that were sat there.

PreviousNext
Return to 2015-16 Season