Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One, Tue 12 Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Coventry City (A) League One, Tue 12 Jan 7.45pm

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 am

After the week-end's F.A. Cup excitement it's back to the important job of trying to ensure League One promotion, and we have a real 6-pointer against the Sky Blues who currently sit 4th in the table only a point behind us (but we do have a game in hand). Coventry's team will be very different from the one we faced at home back in August when goals from Forde and Bradshaw gave us a 2-1 win - they've been busy little wasps in the transfer market (see what I did there? :mrgreen: ), signing:

Joe Cole (free transfer) from the Vile
Peter Ramage from Kerala Blasters
Gael Bigirimana (loan deal extended) from Newcastle United
Andy Rose from Seattle Sounders

In addition, manager Tony Mowbray is currently negotiating an extension of Adam Armstrong's loan - Armstrong is League One's leading scorer with 16 to his name, including a hat-trick in their recent 0-5 demolition of Crewe Alexandra. Current form:

28 Nov Doncaster Rovers (H) League One, Drew 2-2
13 Dec Sheffield United (A) League One, Lost 1-0
19 Dec Oldham Athletic (H) League One, Drew 1-1
26 Dec Port Vale (H) League One, Won 1-0
28 Dec Chesterfield (A) League One, Drew 1-1
2 Jan Crewe Alexandra (A) League One, Won 0-5

If Jason Demetriou's "little injury" has cleared up, Sean O'Driscoll should have a full squad from which to make his team selection. The travelling support will also be important in encouraging the players, as it was at Brentford and personally I would be pleased with a point from this game. A draw would put us a single point behind Gillingham with a game in hand, and we may be able to make further progress on Saturday when Coventry are at home to Burton Albion.

The hell with it - I'll go for the same result we got at Griffin Park.... 0-1 to the Super Saddlers, courtesy of Tom Bradshaw. :D

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Re: Coventry City (A) League One, Tue 12 Jan 7.45pm

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:40 am

:D Offer here,

Loads of games left in the current season but is this the most important one ????

Well, I think it is, a defeat is not the end of the world but a win more or less guarantees us a play off spot.

Currently 11 points clear of 7th...a win puts us an incredible 14 points clear ( although the Blades will have something to say about that )

One of the BIGGEST away games for the Saddlers in recent years....

COME ON ME BABBIES.....

:D Offer

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 am

Can't wait for this one.

Coventry have an incredibly talented forward line, and we're going to have to be at our defensive best to keep them out. Their goal against us back in August shows that they have players who can create something out of nothing and with their recent transfer activity, it will be a very tough game.

I really liked the formation on Saturday, with the unbalanced 4-4-1-1, and with Demetriou back he could add to our attacking prowess down the right flank. If he doesn't make it though, Kinsella was excellent on Saturday so I would have no worries about him playing either.

I'd go with...

Etheridge

Demetriou
Downing
O'Connor
Henry

Mantom
Chambers
Evans

Sawyers

Lalkovic

Bradshaw

Attendance will be somewhere around 15,000 with about 850 Saddlers making the trip. I'd take a point right now, so I'm going for 1-1 with Lalkovic to get ours...

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:18 am

I hope Coventry get the ball down and and play it about I'm sure they will and that will play right into our hands we need to sit back keep possession and catch them on the break they are unbeaten at home this season so it'll be tough,
I think 1-1 lalkovic.
ATT:15,300 -1,200 saddlers.

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:39 am

*DOFFER* wrote::D Offer here,

Loads of games left in the current season but is this the most important one ????

Well, I think it is, a defeat is not the end of the world but a win more or less guarantees us a play off spot.

Currently 11 points clear of 7th...a win puts us an incredible 14 points clear ( although the Blades will have something to say about that )

COME ON ME BABBIES.....

Big game that's for sure and a point would be a great result in my opinion

Cov will be hard to beat though..

Got to disagree about the guaranteed play off spot Doffer... Long way to go yet mate..

UTS

CooperTheSaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Another massive game! Me + 3 for this one, both nervous and excited.

My head says a loss but my heart says another gritty 1-0 win!

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Not sure I buy into the tired legs line which is getting branded around, players such as Bradshaw , Rico , Mantom and Jason D should all be fresh after their recent time on the side lines.

Anything but a defeat would be a great result 1-1 for me!

UTS

*DOFFER*
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:06 pm

coop63 wrote:

COME ON ME BABBIES.....

Got to disagree about the guaranteed play off spot Doffer... Long way to go yet mate..

UTS

Sorry COOP,

If we are 14 points clear of 7th after tomorrow night and don"t get a play off spot then they all need to be stood across the half way line ( shorts around their ankles ) on the last home game of the season and fudging shot...

Giving Port Vale a walk over in the last game.

Surely mate..

:wink: Offer

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Very tempted by this. Straight down the M6, although I'll only go if I can find someone to go with.

2-1 Walsall, Evans and O'Connor

Liamt

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:31 pm

Random question but is anyone from around Liverpool/ Manchester planning on going to the game? Would love a lift as trains are very expensive... Obviously petrol money would be offered along with your choice of pie ect ?

UTS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Liamt wrote:Random question but is anyone from around Liverpool/ Manchester planning on going to the game? Would love a lift as trains are very expensive... Obviously petrol money would be offered along with your choice of pie ect ?

UTS

Maybe you and cumbria-saddler [see above] could hook up?

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:03 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Liamt wrote:Random question but is anyone from around Liverpool/ Manchester planning on going to the game? Would love a lift as trains are very expensive... Obviously petrol money would be offered along with your choice of pie ect ?

UTS

Doubt if either party's considering mating. Maybe you know better?

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:05 pm

*DOFFER* wrote:
coop63 wrote:

COME ON ME BABBIES.....

UTS

Sorry COOP,

If we are 14 points clear of 7th after tomorrow night and don"t get a play off spot then they all need to be stood across the half way line ( shorts around their ankles ) on the last home game of the season and fudging shot...

Giving Port Vale a walk over in the last game.

Surely mate..

:wink: Offer

Hi Doffer

I agree that they shouldn't blow it from here - would be a travesty and shooting on the half way line a reasonable punishment..

I meant that practically and mathematically it's a long old haul through the next few months - I think a win tomorrow would mentally strengthen the resolve of everyone ( not that they need too much of that right now!) and put is in great shape for the next few games.. It'd be a right old kick in the knackers for Cov too :mrgreen:

Looking forward to it that's for sure - UTS

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

UTS

Doubt if either party's considering mating. Maybe you know better?

Just trying to bump the numbers up :wink:

Btw, 1-1 tomorrow, with Sawyers for us, in front of 16,238, including 1,455 Saddlers.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:25 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Very tempted by this. Straight down the M6, although I'll only go if I can find someone to go with.

You're with the Walsall faithful when you get there mate ;)

coop63
Glitterati

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 pm

Darth Vader wrote:
cumbria-saddler wrote:Very tempted by this. Straight down the M6, although I'll only go if I can find someone to go with.

You're with the Walsall faithful when you get there mate ;)

This team is worth the journey!! - easy to say when you're only travelling from Walsall though innit? :wink:

UTS

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:50 pm

collected my ticket this afternoon and the lady said around 600 tickets sold thus far for the match.
looking at around 1k making the journey?

SaddlerCrewe
Glitterati

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:35 pm

mosaddler wrote:collected my ticket this afternoon and the lady said around 600 tickets sold thus far for the match.
looking at around 1k making the journey?

Not really worth the £2 a ticket saving buying from the club unless you live close to or are travelling past the ground.
You can pay on the day, I am - should be over a 1,000 then, my guess is around 1,200.
I'll give Bescot a wave around 6.15 pm as I slowly drive past Junction 9! (Although if traffic reports are bad I'll use the toll)

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:21 am

I'm being Mr Optimistic here but I'm hoping us playing on the weekend will give us the edge match fitness wise and they struggle to get going.

For that reason I'm going 2-0 Walsall.

I also think a bigger following is needed to give our lads the support they need. Cm-on folks, text out to every Walsall fan you know.. bring yer aunties, nieces, nephews and dogs to fill that away end!

UTS

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:37 pm

GET THERE IF YOU CAN!!!!!!

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:I'm being Mr Optimistic here but I'm hoping us playing on the weekend will give us the edge match fitness wise and they struggle to get going.

I also think a bigger following is needed to give our lads the support they need. Cm-on folks, text out to every Walsall fan you know.. bring yer aunties, nieces, nephews and dogs to fill that away end!

UTS

Me plus 2 - even dragging the mrs to this one even though she aint gotta clue about football.

2-0, 15504 (1168 away)

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:14 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:I'm being Mr Optimistic here but I'm hoping us playing on the weekend will give us the edge match fitness wise and they struggle to get going.

UTS

Me plus 2 - even dragging the mrs to this one even though she aint gotta clue about football.

2-0, 15504 (1168 away)

Perhaps she should join the board.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Don't wanna put the mockers on tonight but does anyone know the state of the Cov pitch (hope it's got good drainage)

I'm in Wolves at the moment and it's gone very dark, raining heavily and the forecast for the rest of the day is heavy rain right across the Midlands (right up to tonight..)

A mate up in the North West (where our weather system normally circulates from) says it 'cats n dogs' up there..

Just noticed that Vale v Swindon postponed

Please be kind weather gods..

UTS

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Tbf I'm in the centre of Brum and it's barely rained, unless we have a monsoon I can't see any issues.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Mazza01 wrote:Tbf I'm in the centre of Brum and it's barely rained, unless we have a monsoon I can't see any issues.

Cheers Mazza

I dunno where this weather's going then coz it's bucketing it down here.. Maybe skirting north of Brum (and hopefully missing Cov too for now..)

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:04 pm

coop63 wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Tbf I'm in the centre of Brum and it's barely rained, unless we have a monsoon I can't see any issues.

Cheers Mazza

I dunno where this weather's going then coz it's bucketing it down here.. Maybe skirting north of Brum (and hopefully missing Cov too for now..)

Weather forecasts are, generally, quite useful. :idea:

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:11 pm

For those who can receive BBC Coventry & Warwickshire tonight's Cov v Walsall game is being broadcast

on 98.4 FM & 103.7 FM. Also on digital frequencies. However as far as I know it is not online.

U.T.S.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Winston Smith wrote:For those who can receive BBC Coventry & Warwickshire tonight's Cov v Walsall game is being broadcast

on 98.4 FM & 103.7 FM. Also on digital frequencies. However as far as I know it is not online.

U.T.S.

Unfortunately, although there'll be a two minute delay, I'm going to have to suffer Mick Kearns' coughing, spluttering and incessant interruptions of he match action.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Yeh, it wont be available online because of the stupid agreement that the Football League have with PremiumTV (is it still them?)...the ones who provide the "Saddlers World" infrastructure.

It's a stupid quirk of modern life that if you have a digital radio, you can listen to commentary, but if you want to "listen online" via a web browser on your phone, or elsewhere in the country, you cannot.

Hopefully this silliness will end soon, just like the stupid thing a few years ago where the FL said you had to buy rights to print a clubs' fixture list. What an ill thought-out idiotic idea that was.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm in .
Can't wait.
Let's have it .

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season