Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One, Tue 12 Jan 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
The Bosted Slab
UTS Veteran

Re: Coventry City (A) League One, Tue 12 Jan 7.45pm

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Pleased with a point after that because that's the poorest I've seen us play away for some time.

Coventry pressed us hard at times and gave our more forward central midfielders no space to play and even when they had the ball, Evans, Sawyers and Mantom were strangely all struggling to control and pass the ball, especially in the first half.

Their midfield had no such problems as we gave them far too much space allowing them to set up Armstrong for a few good opportunities.

Second half Sawyers at least improved his control and involvement and tried hard to get us going, hardly giving the ball away, but not having many options as our movement was poor, other than Bradshaw.

Although Kinsella did well and didn't do much wrong, the introduction of Demetriou provided us with another option, giving another cameo of his full back/wingback/winger/centre forward repertoire.

On the whole we didn't create much, possibly with the exception of Lalkovic (although he only got one or two crosses in) nobody took responsibility to take players on, get passed them and create space and commit other defenders.

We were too content to pass sideways, with little adventure and rarely broke through them.

Our equaliser was a fine move and goal and perhaps showed what a little more positivity may have brought.

I don't think we were lucky to get a draw, as for the few Coventry chances and that I think they played a bit better than us, Bradshaw hit the post and we had a good end to the game.

I was just a bit disappointed and frustrated with our performance, but that is probably a reflection on the progress we have made this season and in the context of what might turn out to a highly successful season that disappointment will have long been forgotten.

Credit to our resilience once again.

Ex French Saddler

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:52 pm

From today's Cov Telegraph

Saddlers deserve their standing
Tuesday night’s result was the fourth time the Sky Blues have taken the lead at the Ricoh this season only to drop points by being pegged back for a draw.

That’s hugely frustrating, of course, particularly on a night when City had more than enough opportunities to increase their advantage.

The odd wayward shot and a couple of impressive saves denied them the full three points against a side who rarely troubled their goal but, put into context, Walsall are a decent, well organised side who have earned their third place spot so far this season.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Happy with well earned point after hard game sat and coventry having weekend off.

Another season after poor first half display and 1-0 down we would have caved in , the spirit and determination not to lose is fantastic.

I really am starting to believe we can do it and not fall away like previous seasons.

Andy W Taylor
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:09 pm

At least the Sky highlights showed our goal, and the one that hit the post (BTW Kinsella looks onside to me from that replay). Did you notice that the highlights shown on the big scoreboard as we were leaving didn't even do that? Not only their close chances but just about every ball in the direction of our box got a replay, yet all we got was a couple of seconds of our players celebrating Bradshaw's goal but not the goal itself!! Talk about one-eyed. :roll:

And what was the deal with that fat woman coming onto the pitch near the end? If she was planning on singing she was a bit previous because we equalised not long after. :lol:

CCFC721

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:32 pm

Nice of your entire home support to make the short journey last night. Impressive.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Sorry to disappoint CCFC721 I wasn't there,neither was the rest of my family :D

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:43 pm

CCFC721 wrote:Nice of your entire home support to make the short journey last night. Impressive.

Why did you run on the pitch?! Was it your Birthday or something?!

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:50 pm

CCFC721 wrote:Nice of your entire home support to make the short journey last night. Impressive.

1359?
Sorry mate, but that was totally embarrassing.

We took 30,000 away, to play Bristol City, last season.

CCFC721

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Only having you a joke with you, my friends. Very good support from Walsall in my
opinion, especially after quite a lot went to Brentford on Saturday too.

That Henry at LB looks class but I can confirm David Pleat of Spurs was watching James Maddison from us and Henry last night.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:

1359?
Sorry mate, but that was totally embarrassing.

We took 30,000 away, to play Bristol City, last season.

.......and that was all we were allocated, in reality we could have sold the whole place out, twice.

Good point last night, Coventry had the better chances and we looked poor at times.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Sorry mate but we took more to Brentford on Saturday, your really not a big draw anymore!

P.S lovely Rugby stadium you have there

CCFC721

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:56 pm

That was the joke.

By the way, I'm hoping none of the posters on this site think that Murphy dived for the free kick? If you watch the highlights back, not one Walsall player tells the referee it's a dive and George Evans actually puts his hand up apologising. Bit of a bizzare thing to do if he never touched him and he dived.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:59 pm

CCFC721 wrote:That was the joke.

By the way, I'm hoping none of the posters on this site think that Murphy dived for the free kick? If you watch the highlights back, not one Walsall player tells the referee it's a dive and George Evans actually puts his hand up apologising. Bit of a bizzare thing to do if he never touched him and he dived.

Tbf I was very impressed with your lads first half and I fully expect you to beat Burton on Saturday.

Armstrong is a class act hard to believe Newcastle couldn't utilise him in some manner.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:29 pm

CCFC721 wrote:By the way, I'm hoping none of the posters on this site think that Murphy dived for the free kick? If you watch the highlights back, not one Walsall player tells the referee it's a dive and George Evans actually puts his hand up apologising. Bit of a bizzare thing to do if he never touched him and he dived.

Wow, defensive or what?!

The cheap dig at the away following made me laugh. With three away games in the space of a week, a Tuesday night trip to the most sterile, soulless stadium in the country (our own takes some beating!), was comfortably the least appealing of all for me.

stevefloyd

In peace

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi I am a Cov fan here in peace... went to the game last night and a fair result in the end...really liked your left back and really really liked Sawyers fancy letting us have him on loan lol...good luck for the rest of the season

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
CCFC721 wrote:By the way, I'm hoping none of the posters on this site think that Murphy dived for the free kick? If you watch the highlights back, not one Walsall player tells the referee it's a dive and George Evans actually puts his hand up apologising. Bit of a bizzare thing to do if he never touched him and he dived.

Wow, defensive or what?!

The cheap dig at the away following made me laugh. With three away games in the space of a week, a Tuesday night trip to the most sterile, soulless stadium in the country (our own takes some beating!), was comfortably the least appealing of all for me.

Nice stadium to be fair but like you state totally soulless especially with all their fans on the side. Why not put them behind the goal to encourage their players when attacking totally bizarre.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:46 pm

At least the Sky highlights showed our goal, and the one that hit the post (BTW Kinsella looks onside to me from that replay). Did you notice that the highlights shown on the big scoreboard as we were leaving didn't even do that? Not only their close chances but just about every ball in the direction of our box got a replay, yet all we got was a couple of seconds of our players celebrating Bradshaw's goal but not the goal itself!! Talk about one-eyed. :roll:/quote]

All the highlights did belong to Coventry though. You can't show possession and passing on highlight clips. We didn't offer many true threats or shots on goal compared to Coventry on Tuesday. That's not a complaint about the team, just that Coventry had more real shots on goal to put into a short clip.

Highlights were fine on saddlers player though, and they're independent, as it's the same video for both clubs.

Previous
Return to 2015-16 Season